water baptism in Jesus' Name.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
And I am certain that the Jews really thought that Jesus was blaspheming when He claimed to be the great I AM.

But He wasn't, was He?

And I don't think that the latter thing in your post qualifies as blasphemy. False doctrine, yes. Blasphemy, no.
Paul said if anyone teach another gospel. they were to be anathema (damned)

the gospel they were teaching was adding the WORK of circumcision to the gospel of Grace.

Thats blasphemy my friend.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
When ALL pertinent scriptures are considered relative to salvation you end up with the following short list of requirements, all of which are necessary to be saved.

1. Belief and faith
2. Confession of belief as did the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8 and per Romans 10:9-10
3. Repentance as were the Jews told to do in Acts 2:38 on the day of Pentecost
4. Water baptism, also as were the Jews told to do in Acts 2:38

Do the above and you'll be saved.

Mark 16:15-16

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Acts 2:38

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost
Do all these in order to be saved and you will be just as lost as the jews who tried to add works of the law..

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
You would have to make the case that "water" in John 3:3-5 absolutely does not refer to baptism and you have not done that.
actually, we did.

If water he meant water baptism. Jesus would have said it when he told nicodemus HOW to be born again.

John 3: 10 Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things? 11 Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man [b]who is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should [c]not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God

As you can so. not one mention of water baptism.. He said whoever believes has eternal life (born again) If baptism was required. Jesus forgot to mention it

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
water baptism is not a work at all (while it certainly is righteousness); because in receiving it, one can receive remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Ghost (salvation).

And scripture is clear that we are saved "not of works, lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2:9).
if your doing it TO BE SAVED.

it is a work of self righteousness. and will be rejected

If yoru doing it BECAUSE you are saved. it is a work of righteousness. Because you are obaying Christ.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
A more accurate way of saying that is "salvation is not of works"

Because technically, if you are saved by works, you are saved; however, the reality is that works do not save anyone and therefore no one is saved by works.
we are saved, not by works which we have done, but by his mercy

jesus did the work required to be saved.. He also does the work of saving us when we repent and confess..and cry out like the tax collector..

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
In my case, I have given plenty of proof texts for my doctrine and no one has been able in over 250 posts to refute my doctrine on the Trinity with anything scriptural.
Now you are simply resorting to BALONEY to support your false doctrine (which was thoroughly refuted).

May 17, 2023
The Bible makes it clear that men are saved prior to receiving water baptism. These Gentiles in Acts 10 received the gift of the Holy Spirit and were manifesting the spiritual gift of tongues (which is only for the body of Christ - 1 Corinthians 12) after believing the gospel but before receiving water baptism. (Acts 10:44-47)
Again, with Cornelius and friends we find that the church was in transition; God had to prove that Gentiles could be saved or they never would have been accepted as members of the church. So, He went against the protocol that He had previously established (in Acts 2:38-39) in this one instance in order to make sure that Gentiles would be accepted into the body of Christ. For it is certain that the "Judaizers" were against such a proposition. Therefore it was necessary to give supernatural evidence; which God did by giving Cornelius and friends the gift of tongues before they received baptism in Jesus' Name. So, they had the Holy Ghost prior to baptism but not remission of sins. They received remission of sins at the moment that they came up out of the water, risen with Christ (Colossians 2:12).

May 17, 2023
Baptism is the expected initial outward response to the gospel, but it is not a part of the gospel itself.
The gospel has to do with the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4); and baptism is identification with Jesus in these things; symbolic of us dying with Christ, being buried, and then risen with Christ.

It is the antitype (or symbol) that does the saving (1 Peter 3:21).

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
It doesn't mean that they have any power to create reality.
Well certainly not my reality nor the reality of anyone else here who is familiar with people who think they are powerful because they speak words. I mean it's all very swashbuckling of you and all, but the words people may speak about this thread or you off the forum are not falling to the ground. Guess you must be formulating something for that now :unsure:

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
Yes, that is my primary reason for being here.

I am also not opposed to learning something new if someone has pertinent information to give me.
Well, since just about everyone else here seems to think they are teaching, don't give up your day job just yet.

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
baptismal regeneration is sound doctrine (1 Peter 3:20-21, Acts 2:38-39, Ezekiel 36:25-27, Romans 6:1-4).
No, it is not. You are not the 1st water enthusiast who has come here with that claim and all of it, has been soundly refuted with scripture.

I suspect most people will not want to go into all of it again but you are free to search for those threads of course

And by the way, that 'we find' used by so many who claim to teach is somewhat obnoxious; at least to me

May 17, 2023
(1 Corinthians 1:17; 15:1-4)
The latter passage substantiates my point of view and not yours.

The first passage has the context that Paul himself only baptized Crispus and Gaius and the household of Stephanas. He was not sent to baptize but to preach the gospel.

I also am not sent to baptize but to preach the gospel...I can't very well baptize anyone over the internet...but I do preach as an aspect of the gospel what it says in Acts 2:38-39, 1 Peter 3:20-21, Ezekiel 36:25-27, and Romans 6:1-4...that water baptism has the power to save a person's soul...

In that it is an identification with Jesus Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection...

And therefore is a confession of Jesus Christ before men (see Matthew 10:32, Luke 12:8).

Therefore salvational.

Because, while Paul was not sent to baptize, it is clear that many were baptized in Corinth (Acts 18:8); even under Paul's ministry.

But, didn't he baptize only Crispus, Gaius, and the household of Stephanas?

He did. He did not baptize anyone else.

Yet many were baptized in Corinth under his ministry (Acts 18:8)....

which indicates that he used the same methods as did Jesus in John 4:1-2; in that he did not do the baptizing himself but instead put his disciples up to the task.

And therefore, while Paul did not do the baptizing, it does not mean that the work of baptizing people was neglected by Paul.

May 17, 2023
No, it is not. You are not the 1st water enthusiast who has come here with that claim and all of it, has been soundly refuted with scripture.

I suspect most people will not want to go into all of it again but you are free to search for those threads of course
Scripture does not contradict scripture; and the scriptures that I gave clearly teach baptismal regeneration.

May 17, 2023
Alternative meaning? Jesus did NOT say born of baptism and the Spirit in John 3:5. That is your eisegesis. As a Berean, I properly harmonized scripture with scripture before reaching my conclusion on doctrine.
Did you harmonize Acts 2:38 with John 3:3-5?

I don't think you did.

Picking and choosing what scriptures you want to "harmonize with" is not sound biblical exegesis.

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
Scripture does not contradict scripture; and the scriptures that I gave clearly teach baptismal regeneration.
It's just you contradicting scripture. And at this point, no one thinks you are teaching and I am bored with it since it has all been gone over so many times and you are just another who thinks you are teaching people who are ignorant of scripture

see yah

Lamar

May 21, 2023
Who is WE? Baptismal regeneration is heresy. Our hope is in the Savior God (John 3:16; 10:9; 14:6) and not the water god. Either we are trusting 100% in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation or else we are 100% lost. (John 3:18; 1 John 5:11-13)

The Bible makes it clear that men are saved prior to receiving water baptism. These Gentiles in Acts 10 received the gift of the Holy Spirit and were manifesting the spiritual gift of tongues (which is only for the body of Christ - 1 Corinthians 12) after believing the gospel but before receiving water baptism. (Acts 10:44-47) This observation must be balanced, however, by the fact that baptism was not considered an "optional extra" for these Gentiles. It was a command (Acts 10:48) that they were expected to obey. However, it was not obedience to this command that saved them, but their believing in Christ. (Acts 10:43)

Baptism is the expected initial outward response to the gospel, but it is not a part of the gospel itself. (1 Corinthians 1:17; 15:1-4) There are a handful of alleged prooftexts which are often cited to prove that the Bible makes baptism mandatory for salvation. A careful examination of each of these texts in context will show that none of them prove that baptism is absolutely required for salvation, though they do prove that baptism was an assumed initiatory response to the gospel of salvation. In other words, these texts only prove that baptism is regularly associated with conversion and salvation, rather than absolutely required for salvation.
Who is WE? Baptismal regeneration is heresy. Our hope is in the Savior God (John 3:16; 10:9; 14:6) and not the water god. Either we are trusting 100% in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation or else we are 100% lost. (John 3:18; 1 John 5:11-13)

The Bible makes it clear that men are saved prior to receiving water baptism. These Gentiles in Acts 10 received the gift of the Holy Spirit and were manifesting the spiritual gift of tongues (which is only for the body of Christ - 1 Corinthians 12) after believing the gospel but before receiving water baptism. (Acts 10:44-47) This observation must be balanced, however, by the fact that baptism was not considered an "optional extra" for these Gentiles. It was a command (Acts 10:48) that they were expected to obey. However, it was not obedience to this command that saved them, but their believing in Christ. (Acts 10:43)

Baptism is the expected initial outward response to the gospel, but it is not a part of the gospel itself. (1 Corinthians 1:17; 15:1-4) There are a handful of alleged prooftexts which are often cited to prove that the Bible makes baptism mandatory for salvation. A careful examination of each of these texts in context will show that none of them prove that baptism is absolutely required for salvation, though they do prove that baptism was an assumed initiatory response to the gospel of salvation. In other words, these texts only prove that baptism is regularly associated with conversion and salvation, rather than absolutely required for salvation.
I am new here so I have not read all of these posts but the quote "baptismal regeneration is heresy" is clearly quite wrong. If water baptism is not the point of the remission of sins, what is?

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
I am new here so I have not read all of these posts but the quote "baptismal regeneration is heresy" is clearly quite wrong. If water baptism is not the point of the remission of sins, what is?
Have you heard of Jesus' death on the cross? for us? His sinless blood shed as the Lamb of God?

If water cleanses us from sin, why did God see fit to have His only Son die as a sacrifice for the sins of all mankind?

(ps: that last is not an actual question)

May 17, 2023
Absolutely false. Romans 5:1 - Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

*So we are justified by faith (not faith and baptism) and we have access by faith into grace (not faith and baptism).

To say that baptism is not a work is to say that baptism is just a "nothing" instead and that no work whatsoever is accomplished when one is water baptized, which is ludicrous.
No, to say that it is not a work is to say that it is a point of contact for faith....like Paul's handkerchiefs...in fulfilling the condition of a conditional promise.

And there is in fact grace that is received in baptism.

Rom 6:1, What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:2, God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Rom 6:3, Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Rom 6:4, Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Eze 36:25, Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
Eze 36:26, A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Eze 36:27, And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.