So, I was talking w/ a friend of mine yesterday and he and i do all sorts of different activities. We stay very active and he and i have always thought of it as a good thing.
He told me about a conversation his mom had w/ him about how all our activities really isn't healthy for us because when we have things that bother us, instead of facing the problems head on, we either turn to work or activities to keep our minds off of our problems.
I understood what his mom was saying but, didn't think about it too much yesterday. Was thinking about it a good part of today, and I feel there's a lot of truth in what his mom said. As I'm thinking back years and years ago. What did I do whenever something bothered me or I was depressed or frustrated? What I did was, go for a bike ride, or take my dog for a hike in the woods, or be around people so I wouldn't have to think about what was bothering me and yes, it worked but, it only always worked for the time I was out and about and stayed busy.
My friend and I consume ourselves in these different activities. Usually because we enjoy it but, now, his mom has given me a different perspective on our activities/hobbies. We literally have so many different activities and hobbies. Some people call us crazy and say that we're way too active for our own good. I always laughed at that when people made those comments.
I felt that he and I were just well rounded and liked these activities and we strive to try more and more new activities even though we don't have much time for these activities nowadays.
According to his mom, it's almost like he and I should have a 1 on 1 counseling session w/ each other and just tell each other what is on our minds and what is bothering us. I wonder if that would help us both out and make us happier.
Even the other day, I told my friend how I don't like being alone, because when I'm alone, my thoughts get to me pretty badly. I want to stay busy but its hard to Always stay busy.
What are your thoughts about what my friend's mom said?
He told me about a conversation his mom had w/ him about how all our activities really isn't healthy for us because when we have things that bother us, instead of facing the problems head on, we either turn to work or activities to keep our minds off of our problems.
I understood what his mom was saying but, didn't think about it too much yesterday. Was thinking about it a good part of today, and I feel there's a lot of truth in what his mom said. As I'm thinking back years and years ago. What did I do whenever something bothered me or I was depressed or frustrated? What I did was, go for a bike ride, or take my dog for a hike in the woods, or be around people so I wouldn't have to think about what was bothering me and yes, it worked but, it only always worked for the time I was out and about and stayed busy.
My friend and I consume ourselves in these different activities. Usually because we enjoy it but, now, his mom has given me a different perspective on our activities/hobbies. We literally have so many different activities and hobbies. Some people call us crazy and say that we're way too active for our own good. I always laughed at that when people made those comments.
I felt that he and I were just well rounded and liked these activities and we strive to try more and more new activities even though we don't have much time for these activities nowadays.
According to his mom, it's almost like he and I should have a 1 on 1 counseling session w/ each other and just tell each other what is on our minds and what is bothering us. I wonder if that would help us both out and make us happier.
Even the other day, I told my friend how I don't like being alone, because when I'm alone, my thoughts get to me pretty badly. I want to stay busy but its hard to Always stay busy.
What are your thoughts about what my friend's mom said?