What is the Christian Take on "Dating Within (or Outside) Your League"?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
I believe that this is exactly right. The fear of rejection is probably the main reason that some people have never even been on a date their entire life.
So what if they get rejected? Its not the end of the world. It gives them two choices: try harder or move on. They should make rejection their friend. Rejection is a good friend, because you will not have to waste time on someone not into you. I eat rejection for breakfast because it makes me tough.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
So what if they get rejected? Its not the end of the world. It gives them two choices: try harder or move on. They should make rejection their friend. Rejection is a good friend, because you will not have to waste time on someone not into you. I eat rejection for breakfast because it makes me tough.
Wow, Tinkerbell, you should teach classes!!! :D

I'm a lot better at handling rejection now than I was when I started the dating scene.

Still can't say I can manage it as a meal, though!! ;)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I have eaten rejection for lunch. We just brush ourselves off and continue to move forward. Like you have said, rejection can be a time and energy saver. It's their loss, not ours. As you also have said, we can even learn something from it.

S

sydlit

Much angry, you are. Calm down, you should.
And once again, many thanks for your offers
of prayers and consolation while I
go through a very troubling time.
Much appreciated.
And I notice you failed to address the issue,
nor does scripture seem to mean much to you.
Sorry I don't have the RevisedChildrensVersion.

We know that we have passed from death unto life,
because we love the brethren.
He that loves not his brother abides in death.
-------------------------------(1John3:14)
But if our gospel is hidden, it is
hidden to them that are lost.
------------------(2Cor.4:3)

Nov 25, 2014
I don't know that I'd go so far as to say I eat rejection for breakfast. For me it's more along the lines of, "I'll take it like medicine."

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I don't know that I'd go so far as to say I eat rejection for breakfast. For me it's more along the lines of, "I'll take it like medicine."
For some reason I heard Mary Poppins in my head singing "Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down..."

It's not your fault PoetMary. I'm just a music nerd.

S

Siberian_Khatru

I don't watch much TV, but wasn't there a sitcom (maybe Seinfeld?) that talked about how high one comes in on the dating scale (on a scale of 1-10, where does one rate?) and that the normal social "rule" is that you can date within about 2 numbers above or below your rating?
Not sure about Seinfeld, but there have been studies on this that reflected people have an innate propensity to target those they discern are "in their league."

There was one such study where a number of men and an equal number of women were each given a digit that "represented" their level of attractiveness. The numbers ranged from 1 - 10, with 1 being not attractive, and 10 being highly attractive. No individual was made privy to their own number, but could see others' number. Both groups (men and women) were placed in a room - in unflattering bodysuits - and were instructed to engage the person they felt was "in their league" by extending their hand; there was no verbal communication. Everyone had the luxury of either accepting or denying someone's hand.

As far as I recall, the end result was that each pair, at the end of the experiment, had numbers within 2 digits of each other.

How does a Christian worldview factor into that? I'm not sure. Maybe not at all. I just wanted to feel special by talking about this.

C

coby

I believe that this is exactly right. The fear of rejection is probably the main reason that some people have never even been on a date their entire life.
I don't get that. You can just talk about things if you're both christian. A guy started to chat, I got a crush on him, next day he says nothing, on an on. I just say hey do you want something or not? He couldn't choose. Oh well then I can help you. If you think it's maybe me or maybe that good looking young blonde girl -wow man, thanks, I feel flattered that you even considered me - or one of the other dozen you're talking to I guess I'm not the one God has for you. Thanks for the clarity because I wasn't sure either. Come on it's just funny. Who cares if someone else than the one God has for you doesn't want you?

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
Hey Everyone,

I have a series of topics I'd like to ask about, and this question seems to be the key to about 3 threads I hope to write in the future.

I don't watch much TV, but wasn't there a sitcom (maybe Seinfeld?) that talked about how high one comes in on the dating scale (on a scale of 1-10, where does one rate?) and that the normal social "rule" is that you can date within about 2 numbers above or below your rating?

For instance, if 1 is the lowest score and 10 is the highest and you are a 7, your "league" is going to be within the range of a 5-9 (socially, you "can" date people who "rate" within this range.) Anything lower or higher than that is "outside of your league" and just not acceptable. For example, you typically don't see doctors marrying fast food workers, supermodels marrying "geeks" or "nerds", or people from wealthy families marrying into families who suffer from poverty.

As Christians, everyone is going to say, "We all have value and are beautiful in Christ," but when it comes to real life and the dating game, Christians are just as prone to these kinds of unspoken "ratings" as anyone else (at least, from what I've seen.)

In fact, I often feel Christians have their own rating scale IN ADDITION to the "regular" ratings (looks, earning potential, social status, etc.) that revolves around a "spiritual" rating.

After all, the Bible says not to be unequally yoked. And you hear about a lot of Christians rejecting other Christians because they basically don't rate high enough on the spiritual scale in order to be considered "within their league."

The purpose of this thread is NOT in any way meant to PROMOTE the idea of "leagues", status or basing our decisions about whom we will date on these supposed "ratings", but rather to ask, have you observed this kind of thinking? And what do you think of it?

Do you think the Christian community is any different from the world when it comes to "dating within our league", or do you actually see people who are a "4" and are dating or married to a "10", in any category?

Marrieds are welcome to answer too. I certainly don't expect them to list their "own" "ratings" ("I'm a 10 and I married a 3!!") because that's a bit personal (though they surely can if they want to), but it would be interesting to hear whether they've observed this phenomenon among those they know who are married, too.

Anyone is invited to share their thoughts.

No.. I still see the flesh and world in the church as much as in the street. The difference are the few you find earnestly trying to live with/in/for Christ in Church vs the bar, but honestly...a lot of it is chalked up to people just being people. God can and does change us (that 'new creation' verse), but even that is largely a choice we make (deny yourself daily, pick up your cross daily, follow Jesus daily...or not). We make choices consciously or what we think is unconsciously every moment of every day, and often those choices change and vary... this particular topic of 'leagues' and 'rankings' holding no different.

In fact, it's often worsened in this instance, because many people judge things on a 'merit' based system (some set of core values and measure of which someone consistently exhibits them). So, like your examples, wealth, looks, education, social status, etc etc... often play a large part in how we deem someone 'acceptable' or 'unacceptable' for any given role.

Take me, for example, I earnestly believe that no one is any 'better' or 'worse' than anyone else. We all are equally made and loved by God. There is no person God wants over another or less than another. I believe that...but then, our believes (mentally) often don't match our actions. That's were the 'faith without action is dead' phrase comes in. So, while I may truly believe that, do I believe it enough to act on it in every situation? Well, there are times I use that to help others, speak to people one normally wouldn't, etc etc.. but do I apply that philosophy to dating or my preferences when it comes to things (including people)? No. I'm often around all kinds, but I only want to be around certain kinds. I COULD date anyone, but my desire is to date certain ones. Why bring that up? I don't think I'm alone in this reality. I see many people behave this way, whether they admit it or not.

So, do I think the Christian community (as a whole) is different from the world when it comes to dating or 'classing' people?
No.

Are there Christian individuals whose faith has changed their outlook and actions when it comes to dating or class systems? Yes, certainly.

Now, that being said, I've seen what some may consider '10s' with what some may consider '4s', but attraction is a weird thing. We're all attracted to different things, and though physical appearance does play a large role, it's not the deciding factor. I know physically gorgeous women who I personally wouldn't want to give the time of day, because I know how they behave, and it's appalling. On the flip side, I know women who aren't particularly attractive in a physical way, but who I enjoy spending time with because they are a beautiful person. That actually makes me think of a few songs (as I relate everything with music):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek2PDE1cAyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fuBai_EvK0

Anyway, as always, I appreciate your threads, Kim, even though I don't always answer...but, believe it or not, I do fully read at least half of them... ^_~ As for rating, I had a coworker at Starbucks who was definitely a worldly guy, but his name was Corey, and almost everyone loved him. It's hard to explain, because it wasn't that he was good at any one thing or looked a certain way... He was fun and funny, and really amiable for some reason. For example, he could insult you, but by the end of the day you'd both be laughing about it and closer friends afterward...not offended or more distant. I know that sounds weird, but he's just that kind of guy.

Anyway...that long back story to say, one day we were talking about this at work, and as he carrying dishes to the back in the midst of our 4-way conversation, Corey stopped and looked back after Blaise asked him what he thought my rating was, and said (I'll try to remember the delivery if I can),

"You know, Reece is one of those unassuming, fun-but-hardworking, kinda strange-yet-lovable types. Not necessarily the best looking or most popular, but a good solid 5 or 6, salt of earth type-a-guys who *Uncle Sam Announcer voice* 'The backbone of this country was founded on." XD

I know that quote doesn't do it justice, but I'll leave you with that fond memory of this subject in mind.

Last edited:
C

crosstweed

The funny thing about leagues is that leagues are totally relative things. I would rate probably a 3 in a lot of circles and a 7 or 8 in others. And you can rate badly or very well in fish ponds totally different from one another.

For example, I could be running with a special brand of Bible School students and be only rated at a 4 because I don't have some of the more "wifely" qualities they would admire (not "wifely" meaning it's because I'm terribly un-domestic, make fart jokes, and wear funny hats). By the same token, I could be running with a bunch of popular intelligentsia and would still only rate me at a 4 because I'm not as smart as them (a lot of smart people like hanging out with me anyway though because I'm just smart enough to be conversationally funny and just stupid enough to make them look good. I'm the intellectual equivalent of the D.U.F.F... Good old Watson!).

BTW, ladies... just a warning... if you ever go to ComiCon... your league becomes an 8-10 the second you walk through that door.

BruceWayne

Aug 7, 2013
Gotham City
The funny thing about leagues is that leagues are totally relative things. I would rate probably a 3 in a lot of circles and a 7 or 8 in others. And you can rate badly or very well in fish ponds totally different from one another.

For example, I could be running with a special brand of Bible School students and be only rated at a 4 because I don't have some of the more "wifely" qualities they would admire (not "wifely" meaning it's because I'm terribly un-domestic, make fart jokes, and wear funny hats). By the same token, I could be running with a bunch of popular intelligentsia and would still only rate me at a 4 because I'm not as smart as them (a lot of smart people like hanging out with me anyway though because I'm just smart enough to be conversationally funny and just stupid enough to make them look good. I'm the intellectual equivalent of the D.U.F.F... Good old Watson!).

BTW, ladies... just a warning... if you ever go to ComiCon... your league becomes an 8-10 the second you walk through that door.
Pfft.. What kind of person doesn't love funny hats or a good fart joke? lol But yeah, you're definitely right about Comic-Con.

C

crosstweed

Pfft.. What kind of person doesn't love funny hats or a good fart joke? lol But yeah, you're definitely right about Comic-Con.
Before I'd left I'd been hit on, directly or indirectly, by Tony Stark, Connor from Assassin's Creed (nooo... not hit on me... blatantly stalked me is more like it), and a Loki of Asgard probably 4 years my junior.

BruceWayne

Aug 7, 2013
Gotham City
Before I'd left I'd been hit on, directly or indirectly, by Tony Stark, Connor from Assassin's Creed (nooo... not hit on me... blatantly stalked me is more like it), and a Loki of Asgard probably 4 years my junior.
Teenage Loki? That's rough. haha

C

crosstweed

Last edited:
N

Nuns_n_roses

Hmmm as far as spiritually, I'd probably rate as an 8 and my boyfriend a 7? Only because I emphasize going to church, praying, and reading the bible together. He is happy to do so and it strengthens us but he doesn't go out of his way to initiate those things.

I wish I was a 10, but I do try to improve daily and do my best. I don't go to church often because of work schedules so that's a knock down. I try to pray every day and read a daily bible app as well as try to read from the book every other night, but I'm definitely not perfect... I ranked my boyfriend and I high because we prefer to show our love of God through our actions and lifestyle. For our age I'd say we are pretty stable and we believe similar things in our faith. :)

As far as looks my boyfriend would be considered average by most (although obviously I find him attractive... but I'm attracted to nerds LoL :) )and I'd probably be considered a 7 or 8?! Not to brag but I do find myself attractive. We are both tall, I'm fit, we both have unique eye colors. His appear to be hazel but usually green with brown flecks and mine are blue around the edges and green in the center. He has dark brown hair, mine is kind of brown but more dirty blonde naturally. I dyed it red though. He also wears glasses and has a bit of a belly (more of him to cuddle :) )

As far as intelligence... er well I do well in school and college but I am kind of dimwitted sometimes... :/ So I'm probably a 6-7? My boyfriend is probably an 8 or 9 to me as far as general intelligence goes (again I am very attracted to intelligence LoL)

Personality? We both have a great nature! He probably has what I consider an 8 maybe 9 personality and I probably have an 8 personality. We are down to earth, no drama, kind hearted and patient. He is very slow to anger, even more so than me.

So I'm not sure... He is probably considered a 7 or 8 and I'm probably considered a 7 or 8? It really depends on what you're being rated on LoL but yes I think generally there's an unspoken rule to find a mate who will give you the most out of the genetic lottery LoL So people will always want someone on a higher scale. Its natural selection more or less.

(Sorry for that long post...)

S

ServantStrike

From what I've seen even in the Christian dating circle, leagues still exist, even spiritual leagues, which is unfortunate. Although, one variable I would like to see displayed in both men and women is courage, the courage to confess their desire to marry, and working together to determine if both of them are suited for each other, without the need to try to win them over. I'm talking about two reasonable Christians coming together and, using Scripture as the basis for their decision, determine whether or not they should marry each other.

Coby talked about not marrying a homeless person...under certain circumstances, I would. Which is why the logical dialogue is necessary, because today, whether or not you should marry should not be based on "leagues" but rather circumstance, such as your families (Deuteronomy 5:16, Proverbs 11:29), your mutual faiths (2 Corinthians 6:14), and your level of self-control (I Corinthians 7:2, 9).

Have I seen interleague marriages? Not really, maybe when I visit the city more often, that will change. However, I have heard of marriages that violate the secular age rule (x/2+7), such as Martin Luther (+3 yrs) and Catharina Von Bora (-1.5 yrs). Then again, that was a different time, but surely it's no sin to marry outside the age range.
Man brother, you need to post more. You always post such wonderful things.

Note to self: never question sydlit. It will always bring a firestorm.
Did someone mention fire?

3880473042_ff86b7bee3.jpg