What is your earliest memory?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
I have a memory of crawling but my more solid memory is helping my mom make a strawberry cake for our old landlord Mr. Story when I was 3.

How about you?

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I was 3ish. I was in the hospital, getting my tonsils out. I remember my mama, her hair was in a beehive and she was wearing a beautiful black dress. I remember her walikung up to me, bringing me some pink something, not sure if it was jello or what it was.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Once I get far enough back, I have very vague memories that don't chronologize well. So I remember being in a pool and told to swim across but I don't know if that was the swim a thon when I was 23 months old or a later swim class or something ( I also have vague memories of not understanding why we bothered to change in the locker room and stopping to change in the hall where the Y pool viewing deck was (couldn't have been very old then)). I vaguely remember spinning around and falling but don't know if that's from when I was super little and ended up busting my head against the fireplace in front of parent's bible study group or not. Trying to help the bug out of the kiddie pool I had and it stung me. And I remember my brother being in the hospital and dad and I brought him trains, I couldn't have been more than 4 at that time. But like I say, they're pretty jumbled and incoherent memories.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
I remember sitting on someone's lap and being so little I didn't know any of the words spoken. I also didn't think in words, you only "feel."

I remember looking out through a baby gate.

Then skips to age 3, but I remember quite a lot and like they happened yesterday. Getting stitches, dancing, preschool, praying, etc. I remember sitting in my car seat, in the front seat looking at the radio buttons and thinking, "I'm so big, 2 more buttons and I'm 5!" It's funny how you think back then.

Oct 8, 2019
As strange as it is, I would watch old family videos and would remember what some of my perspectives or thoughts were during those moments. For example there was a video of my family and my Dad and his brothers (our uncles) were playing with a 3yr old me and my 4yr old sister being goofy with us, and my sister and I were eating carrots. While watching the video I remember I actually didn't like the carrot and I remember why I didn't like it, and that I was only eating it because my sister liked them and everyone else was having fun so I wanted to too, lol. (For most of my childhood I didn't have the self-awareness to think for myself, I always observed my sister or others and tried to like what they liked, do what they could do, be my sister's little clumsy shadow, etc.)

I also have some very vague memories that go back as young as 2yrs old but they continued until older ages so no guarantee of what moments I'm really remembering from. I remember enjoying my thumb while twirling my hair, playing with a baby toy and remembering the feel of the texture of the toy (the plastic type of toy you stack colorful rings on), children books and what their covers felt like as I pulled them off the shelf and sprawled them on the floor, or stuffies and the feel of their fur or eyes or both.

Of another memory, when I was about seven I ended up with a baby brother, and when we had his baby things I would remember what they were like when I used similar items, like a binky suddenly felt nostalgic to me a seven year old, but at the moment of playing with my baby brother's binky I remembered my own binky fun (I don't think it's infant binkies I remembered, but rather when my other siblings and I were 4 and older we goofed around with some of our baby things). Either way, my seven year old thoughts bridged me to younger thoughts, and then those memories stayed from those moments. So yes, I strangely sort of remember what a binky felt like and tasted like. That's a weird thing to reminisce on, but then again I guess I subconsciously took notice of details even at very young ages.

Memories are interesting, but I feel there's a part of me and how my thought processes are that's always been simply me. These days I enjoy the details of jig-saw puzzles, macro photos, and the feel of my pets. :)

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I am not sure if it’s a dream or a memory, but I have a recollection of crawling on the floor and the being picked up. Though moreso I remember being on my grandparents porch and getting my first splinter. Funnily enough though just before that pain I remember playing with a cat on that porch. When I told my mom about that, she went “wait how can you remember that you were like 4”

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
My first ~clear~ memory was of me being held by my grandfather (in one of his upstairs bedrooms) while looking down at my sleeping baby sister in her crib. She is just shy of a year younger than me, so I was 2 years old or younger at that point in time.

~Deut

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I was two when my parents were building the house in which I grew up. I remember three distinct scenes; the unfinished house from the street, the main toilet being installed by a plumber, and looking down from the top of the unfinished stairs as the treads were installed.

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
I remember brightly colored cereal boxes with lame cheap plastic toys.
Saturday morning cartoons.

Forts made of ugly polyester couch cushions and tattered blankets, (convincing my little Bro to hold up a corner of the fort the entire time l played -reassuring him “everyone has their part on this team and his part is needed for the structural integrity of our ”home base”)

...and now that l have kids l can do it all the time.

Heck, I even invite them to join in once in awhile, but only if they remember the secret password.
BTW, it’s a little tougher convincing my Bro to “maintain his post” these days...but he eventually gives in.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
I remember brightly colored cereal boxes with lame cheap plastic toys.
Saturday morning cartoons.

Forts made of ugly polyester couch cushions and tattered blankets, (convincing my little Bro to hold up a corner of the fort the entire time l played -reassuring him “everyone has their part on this team and his part is needed for the structural integrity of our ”home base”)

...and now that l have kids l can do it all the time.

Heck, I even invite them to join in once in awhile, but only if they remember the secret password.
BTW, it’s a little tougher convincing my Bro to “maintain his post” these days...but he eventually gives in.
hey hey! Nice to see ya here again!

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
hey hey! Nice to see ya here again!
Hey, Mel.
Its been 2 yrs, l believe?
My overall return has been grossly exaggerated, overhyped, unnecessary and probably not wanted.

Kinda like Terminator 6 ( or whatever # sequel came out today)

Brandon123

May 15, 2019
I have a memory of crawling but my more solid memory is helping my mom make a strawberry cake for our old landlord Mr. Story when I was 3.

How about you?
Walking in my dads tomato garden with him and our new puppy 🙂

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
About six months, i slept in a crib near my sister and i would always pull the fuzzies off of my blankets and throw them into her crib while she was asleep.

Inconveniencing my sister and messing with her bed was always amusing even at 6 months. I think the funniest one yet was when i was about 7, i froze a bunch of water soaked napkins and put them under her covers before bed time. It was hilarious, she slid into that bed thinking she was going to be all comfortable and toasty but NOPE lol.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
The earliest memory I have is crawling to the dog to bite her ears and pull on her tail. I also remember why I did it - she made such neat noises!

She was a blue heeler named Chip and she probably should have knocked me over with a paw and sat on me. But I guess she considered me a puppy, and dogs just endure the bumbling of puppies. So she would just howl until Mom came to rescue her.

Though I feel bad about it now, I still remember how neat I thought those noises were.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
My twin brothers being born. I have a vague memory of swinging hospital doors...
My idyllic life from then on at age 2 was over! lol.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
A bunch of flashes from when I had to be about two years old. Maybe a little before. Gazing at sunbeams on the stairs. Trudging through the snow to get to mom and dad's station wagon. Playing with our cats.

Fond little memories.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
When I was 3 3/4 and saw my brother with my dad at the hospital when he was born.

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
I was thinking about memory a while ago...
I believe we have memories of memories...
In other words, I remember remembering things.

For eg, i told my mum that I remembered that we used to own a dog.
But she just laughed and told me they got rid of that dog b4 I turned 1.

How did I recall that dog? Can I actually visualize it? No, not at all.
I figure that I did once have that memory when I was a child.
And all I'm really remembering now is the fact that I did have that memory as a child.