What is your view on state lotteries?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Lottery as in paying money for lotto tickets and a certain percentage goes to a certain beneficial cause for the states residents.

Are they beneficial? Do they cause more harm than good? Or Biblically detestable?

T

tasha66

That is a question I have asked myself many times.
My Mum used to do what is called the RSL Art Union lotteries down here, where all the money goes to helping boys in need - they might be homeless, have been abused etc. You win luxury homes & apartments, and if you pay more or buy so many tickets, you can also win boats & money etc.
But it's still gambling isn't it?
I've cared for many, many people who have literally lost everything from gambling - homes, cars, their families love and trust etc. And they all started off by getting little scratchies, or spending $20 here & there. Gambling is so easily accessible online as well now.
If I think it might benefit someone, I would buy a ticket for a good cause. But I just wonder how much of the proceeds actually go to that good cause in the end. It's been reported many times that the people who really need the money actually see very little of it, due to high administration, transport costs etc. And the CEO's make a fortune as well.
I just wonder if we are all being hoodwinked by these so-called charities.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
That is a question I have asked myself many times.
My Mum used to do what is called the RSL Art Union lotteries down here, where all the money goes to helping boys in need - they might be homeless, have been abused etc. You win luxury homes & apartments, and if you pay more or buy so many tickets, you can also win boats & money etc.
But it's still gambling isn't it?
I've cared for many, many people who have literally lost everything from gambling - homes, cars, their families love and trust etc. And they all started off by getting little scratchies, or spending $20 here & there. Gambling is so easily accessible online as well now.
If I think it might benefit someone, I would buy a ticket for a good cause. But I just wonder how much of the proceeds actually go to that good cause in the end. It's been reported many times that the people who really need the money actually see very little of it, due to high administration, transport costs etc. And the CEO's make a fortune as well.
I just wonder if we are all being hoodwinked by these so-called charities.
Yes it is gambling and it can be addicting. Isnt it odd that in all the slum or ghetto neighborhoods there is usually a run down gas or liquor station that has gambling, alcohol, and cigarettes. A trio of addiction that can ruin your life.

My state has a lottery. I never played it due to I dont like making high risk choices with my money.

But I just checked the lotto stats for my state. This is a estimate in percentage because the have the pie graph in cash value.

But atleast 55% goes back to the players in rewards. 30% to education. 10% to retailers. And 5% to operations.

The benefits listed are economical factors like that the lotto created jobs, provides commission for small businesses, education also provides jobs, and scholarships help low income people go to school.

My question that I wonder is if there is a better way to help fund education that isnt by lotto, forced property taxes, or Government handouts.

FleeJenn

Aug 5, 2019
As a Holy Spirit baptized disciple of Jesus these pursuits of money have nothing to do with me. Jesus provides and has provided for us since he came and collected me some 42 years ago. Set your affection on things above not on things on the earth.

Silverwings

Jul 27, 2016
I have only paid a couple of times for the lottery, and know so little about it that the first time I played I thought I had won, and called a couple of people to tell them, well duh, I felt very foolish when I found out that I had made a huge mistake. Having said that, I will also say that for those who are addicted, which must me a very high number indeed, because they always have the winnings at an all time high, so that means that a whole lot of people are handing out hard earned cash, and I imagine that many suffer as a result, it is a shame that some benefit from others misery.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
As a Holy Spirit baptized disciple of Jesus these pursuits of money have nothing to do with me. Jesus provides and has provided for us since he came and collected me some 42 years ago. Set your affection on things above not on things on the earth.
It has everything to do with you. You are a steward of God's blessings including money. We are called to be good stewards. Good stewards take great care of money after all if we are not good stewards with it, it will go to evil people. It is hard to build a church, feed the poor, build a school over seas, etc without good people being smart with their money.

In less Jesus is providing manna from Heaven then even you must be wise with money. Irresponsibility comes with consequences. Sin from poor management choices comes with consequences.

We still live in the world and are called to be the best image and message of Christ in the world with all that we do and own. Faith without action is dead.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
They are a tax on people who are bad at math. They are built on greed, not generosity. They foster laziness and waste rather than hard work and investment. Governments should not be involved with them at all, except to regulate them strictly.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
By all means, state lotteries are nothing but a huge tax increase on the poor and middle class that the poor and middle class voted in themselves.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Lottery as in paying money for lotto tickets and a certain percentage goes to a certain beneficial cause for the states residents.

Are they beneficial? Do they cause more harm than good? Or Biblically detestable?
To the first question the answer depends on how the person handles any winnings on whether or not more harm than good results. Any benefit to the participating state is partially offset by the damage it causes certain individuals who don't play responsibly and as a result now rely on financial aid for certain things, particularly food assistance. For the record I don't play the lotter except perhaps purchasing instant ticket to distribute at Christmas. Usually any entertainment value is offset for those that play beyond their means and have wasted money that could go towards taking care of family and providing for others in need.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I have only paid a couple of times for the lottery, and know so little about it that the first time I played I thought I had won, and called a couple of people to tell them, well duh, I felt very foolish when I found out that I had made a huge mistake. Having said that, I will also say that for those who are addicted, which must me a very high number indeed, because they always have the winnings at an all time high, so that means that a whole lot of people are handing out hard earned cash, and I imagine that many suffer as a result, it is a shame that some benefit from others misery.
Benefiting for a few at the expense of the many is profound in its content. This is basically the premise for the world's financial system through the ages and remains so today.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I have never found a scripture that says, "Thou shalt not gamble."

There are ethical arguments against gambling. One is the fact that you are getting money from someone else by playing and not earning it. But then would we say winning a contest or getting a tax refund is immoral?

Is there an element of covetousness in trying to win and get your friend or co-gamblers funds?

One of the problems with gambling is that some people get addicted to it. It's away to take advantage of those who are not skilled or who do not understand math.

Another way to view state lotteries are as a voluntary tax for those who are bad at math.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Personally I have nothing against gambling (in controlled moderation) any more than I am against someone wasting a bunch of cash going to the movies or other recreational activity. IMO where gambling becomes sin is when it becomes an addiction where large sums of cash are being thrown away in the same manner as any other activity can become sinful in excess.

I'll be the first to admit that occasionally (every few months) I'll buy a scratch ticket at 7-11. If I win, I take my money and run. If I lose, oh well. However (IMO) for a Christian to drop a hundred bucks a week (yeah, people do that) on Lottery would definitely fall into the category of sin since (if nothing else) it's bad stewardship of what the Lord has entrusted to them.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
If I had won a state lottery, I'd wholeheartedly endorse them.. But since I haven't won and never will, I find them detestable.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I see high risk investments of money to be poor stewardship of what God has blessed us with. If you take the stock market for example. Christians can invest in Godly organizations and make money doing so. If they intelligently and responsibly invest they can make good returns that can be invested elsewhere.

But with a lottery. The odds are so extreme that to me it is irresponsible to waste money on it.

But unfortunately I currently do not have a clue what a good alternative would be to fund educational services and a tax revenue. So maybe in this case the good attributes outweigh the bad.

Not a expert on this but I know not all states have lotteries. Wonder how they do without it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think I remember the romans gambling to see who would get Jesus robe when he was crucified. Doesnt say who won.

Also, Lot is where we get the name lotto from. The twelve tribes of Israel were each alloted land as well drawn by lots. I think...check the Bible.

Im ok with raffles but, lotto in my country is a bit ridiculous at times. Not really sure if more harm than good comes of it. Im never in the habit of buying a ticket each week so dont get excited over the draw like some people do. I am not sure how it came about though cos I do remember back when it started in the 80s and it seemed everyone was buying lotto tickets. Maybe with a smaller population you have more chance to win. I dont know, never won anything except bonus tickets or $5.

The thought of suddenly having a million dollars tax free in your bank account is tempting to many.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I had one time where I won a free ticket, then $2, then a free ticket, which (there was some internal dialogue going on)...I decided to get a free bag of Doritos with and also profit 11 cents. So they paid me 11 cents to walk in and grab a bag of Doritos? One way to look at it. Quite a funky way.

I've done a few other "experiments" that quite frankly scare me.

The whole system feels like testing the Lord. It can get quite dark depending on your giftings.

It feels lose-lose for a believer.

It is also of interest to note when people mention the casting of lots in Acts that this was BEFORE the outpouring. So you can draw certain important conclusions to that.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Lottery as in paying money for lotto tickets and a certain percentage goes to a certain beneficial cause for the states residents. Are they beneficial? Do they cause more harm than good? Or Biblically detestable?
In view of the alternative -- criminal enterprises controlling lotteries -- you have the *lesser criminals* of government controlling this. Either way it is a bad thing. But no one is compelled to get involved.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Saw a junk mail flyer come with some newspapers yesterday advertising a lottery for the heart foundation.

The state lotteries or rather the national lottery says all the money goes to good causes but not sure if ALL the money goes or just some of it. Not really sure as have never applied for any lotto grant. Although I do know the money from pokie machines and liquor sales gets put into a trust in my area and given to the community. You have to vote each day for the organisation you want it rewarded to, they give away a million dollars.
Cash strapped public schools always apply. But I dont see any going to drug rehabs!

There was one drug and alchol rehab a friend was setting up on some land up north and they had put feelers out for sponsors to give money so they could build it. I should have told her go apply with the Trusts.
I did fwd it on to the brewery just letting the, know they ought to be responsbile for the people that buy their drink. A donation of their profits perhaps?

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
In view of the alternative -- criminal enterprises controlling lotteries -- you have the *lesser criminals* of government controlling this. Either way it is a bad thing. But no one is compelled to get involved.
What is a better way for the state to raise money towards education without the lottery or whatever the public need is?

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Saw a junk mail flyer come with some newspapers yesterday advertising a lottery for the heart foundation.

The state lotteries or rather the national lottery says all the money goes to good causes but not sure if ALL the money goes or just some of it. Not really sure as have never applied for any lotto grant. Although I do know the money from pokie machines and liquor sales gets put into a trust in my area and given to the community. You have to vote each day for the organisation you want it rewarded to, they give away a million dollars.
Cash strapped public schools always apply. But I dont see any going to drug rehabs!

There was one drug and alchol rehab a friend was setting up on some land up north and they had put feelers out for sponsors to give money so they could build it. I should have told her go apply with the Trusts.
I did fwd it on to the brewery just letting the, know they ought to be responsbile for the people that buy their drink. A donation of their profits perhaps?
The brewery should not be responsible because mankind is responsible for their decisions. If they choose to ingest a drink that is scientifically and statistically linked to addiction and all sorts of health problems then that is on them.

If the brewery was on the other hand false advertising their product as healthy then yes they should be held accountable.