What Would You Do If Your Significant Other Was Being Sexuall Harassed?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

AgeofKnowledge

It's a no brainer. She should call HR and schedule an appointment to talk to them about it and keep a record of the meeting. HR will talk to Jim as they don't want the government coming down on them with fines, an expensive workplace sexual harassment lawsuit, and a publicly tainted reputation.

Jim will then either comply with the company's HR department policy and request or ignore them and continue his behavior.

If it continues, then Jim gets to talk to a neat branch of the government called the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC): How To File A Charge

They know how to handle Jim and Jim won't like what happens next. That's a fact.

Hey Singles,

Just had a few thoughts on my mind today. I was thinking back to an old thread in which women said that one thing they looked for in a potential husband was a protector. One male poster asked why, because, as he said, we're not living in the days of hunting and gathering, and so, he reasoned, "What would women need to be protected from?" Today I was thinking of an answer to that question.

Normally I like to set the tone with a personal story--please note that the example here, however, is something made up and is based on a set of experiences I have heard or gone through myself. I won't give a specific example due to privacy issues, so you'll have to take it at face value.

Carrie is a 26-year-old employee at a company where the normal dress code is a polo shirt and khakis. Definitely nothing too short, high, low, or skimpy going on there, and Carrie always dresses as a modest Christian woman. She has been working there for 2 years. She minds her own business, cares about others, and is hard-working.

For several months, Jim, a co-worker in his 50's who has been with the company for 25 years and has more seniority than almost anyone else there takes an interest in Carrie, who works in another area of the company. She wears glasses and her hair in a conservative bun, and one day, Jim tells Carrie that conservative hairstyles like hers are "hot" and that she looks like a "professional secretary". He doesn't use "controversial" words like "sexy" or "naughty", but continuously tells her how "pretty" she is and calls her "Secretary", even though she has asked him to call her by her real name. Both Carrie and Jim are single.

Jim technically never does or says anything "inappropriate" but he's growing bolder in his comments, even asking Carrie to come work for him in his department. He's been known to say some "borderline" things to other women over the years but the company has never done anything to him because technically, he's not doing anything "wrong", and he is considered to be an important person there whom they would fight to keep.

Carrie has considered calling human resources, but what can she say? "A long-term employee keeps telling me how pretty he thinks I am and refuses to call me by my own name." He's not doing anything "inappropriate" to her and she doesn't have a way of proving it anyway.

How do you feel about something like this going on? To me, this is screaming with red flags all over the place and I would hope that I would be strong enough to encourage the person to stand up for themselves or get out altogether.

1. If you were Carrie's boyfriend, what would you do? Would you advise her to look for a new job and support her in that, even if it meant she would be out of work for a while, or would have to take a pay cut?

2. If you were Carrie's husband, and you'd just bought a new car, were paying for your child's medical condition, and were barely paying your rent/mortgage as it was, what would you want Carrie to do? How would you support her?

3. Ladies, the situation can easily be flipped around. I've heard stories of men who have women at work who "talk to them a little too much", or are "a little too friendly" in their words, gestures, and demeanors. If the man you were dating was facing this, what would you advise him to do?

4. Ladies, if you were married to him... and especially if he was the breadwinner in your family, would you encourage him to look for another job? Again, what if this meant he'd be out of work for some time (possibly even a year or more... we all know how hard it can be to find a job) or had to take a significant cut in pay, especially if he was the only one working?

I don't know what everyone else's experience has been, but unfortunately, to me, it seems all too common, and I've known some people who have gone through a lot worse--from a young woman whose boss threatened her for refusing his advances to a man who was being patted on the backside by a female co-worker.

This, to me, answers the question as to why so many women (and maybe men as well) are drawn towards someone they perceive as strong, independent, and yes, even protective.

We might not be living in prehistoric times, but unfortunately, we still often have to deal with uncivilized behaviors in our everyday lives.

I would love to hear your stories, comments, and personal strategies as to how you have, or would, deal with these types of situations. If you are the person who has been harassed, how did you handle it? Who supported you, and what did they do to back your decisions?

(For now, I've given up trying to give quick one-line summaries of my threads because I feel it's important to read the context before answering. Those who skip past the original post are still welcome to voice their thoughts, but I think the "flavor" of the thread is lost without even reading what inspired the thread to begin with.)

Last edited:
V

VioletReigns

Carrie has considered calling human resources, but what can she say?
Human resources are there to protect the company. Plus you said that in Carrie's case, the perpetrator is revered there and viewed as indispensable to the company. I would speak to a legal advocate through the court system (provided free of charge in harassment cases) or my attorney before proceeding with action. Contact an anti-violence organizations in your area for more information.

http://www.equalrights.org/legal-help/know-your-rights/sexual-harassment-at-work/

Sexual Harassment Policy

Last edited:
A

AgeofKnowledge

I'm not sure how a few off-handed comments suddenly because an issue of criminal sexual battery.

Lawsuits go both ways. If she ends up libeling herself or private third party organizations she's involved libel her, that opens her up to a lawsuit. If she files false allegations, that opens her up to a lawsuit, possible termination, and possibly criminal action.

The law works both ways. You can't libel/slander someone and make false allegations against them. This guy hasn't threatened anyone nor broken a single law. Go too far and you'll be the defendant.

For that reason, the standard procedure is to go to HR and if that doesn't resolve it go to the EEOC. They will deal with it appropriately. It's what they do.

And remind me never to ask you out on a date. I wouldn't want to fight the lawsuits that would result... lol.

Human resources are there to protect the company. Plus you said that in Carrie's case, the perpetrator is revered there and viewed as indispensable to the company. I would speak to a legal advocate through the court system (provided free of charge in harassment cases) or my attorney before proceeding with action. Contact an anti-violence organizations in your area for more information.

Sexual Harassment At Work | Equal Rights Advocates

Sexual Harassment Policy

V

VioletReigns

I'm not sure how a few off-handed comments suddenly (become) an issue of criminal sexual battery.
This guy hasn't threatened anyone nor broken a single law.

And remind me never to ask you out on a date. I wouldn't want to fight the lawsuits that would result...
And this is the very reason why many do not report sexual harassment and assault, because of people like you who dismiss it and blame the victim.

Let me put it in a different perspective that you may understand. Supposing your own daughter came to you in tears and explained that she felt very violated and intimidated by a man at her workplace because he would not cease paying her unwanted attention. She says he is making flirty comments about her physical appearance, calling her “secretary” and “pretty” and suggesting she work for him personally and that it’s causing her real anxiety. And you would look your distraught daughter in the face and reply, “What’s a few off-handed comments? He hasn’t threatened you. Be careful, or you may wind up the defendant.”

That’s how you would reassure your own daughter and come to her defense? You would not take her concerns seriously??

Sheesh… remind me never to accept a date with you. I wouldn’t want to have to defend myself and protect you at the same time if we were harassed by some tough guy on the street.

I want to take this time to thank you men who have posted responses in defense of the woman Carrie (in seoulsearch’s hypothetical situation) and women in general. I am sure every single woman on this site is grateful for your awesome consideration. Thank you, guys! 

I noticed that the majority of the younger men on this site have more respect for women than the older men (Not all of the older men, thank the Lord!). It’s probably because some of the men still have that old patriarch “king of his castle” mentality where he believes he has moral authority over women and young men and feels he has social and religious privilege by “virtue” of being a man.

I've been involved with anti-violence organizations for quite a while and am quite familiar with laws regarding sexual harassment. It has become a social practice. It plays predominantly on the vulnerability of women (and in some cases, men).

And because of people with mindsets like yours AgeofKnowledge, many women are unwilling to endure the damage of their reputation and the prospects of promotion at in the workplace and decide not to report sexual harassment. They are afraid of having to prove the sexual advances were against their will and not consensual or deserved in any way. She will have to show she had resisted with perfect compliance with legally specified terms of the company’s policies. Although she is the victim, she is afraid she will become the defendant, just as you suggested in your post.

Fortunately, the courts are becoming quite familiar with the tactics of sexual offenders. It’s becoming easier to identify a predator because he is so accustomed to acting on impulse that he pretty much hangs himself. He is blind to his own arrogance and is so presumptuous that the judge sees right through his thin veil of defense. “Out of the heart, the mouth speaks,” says the Word of God. Most of these perpetrators reveal their derogatory mentalities just by opening their mouths.

What I find terrifically strange is that there are men on this site who supposedly purport to valuing “women who are modest and submissive” but who are not submissive themselves to the Lord regarding “considering the woman as a weaker vessel.” If you ever wonder why many women take issue with submitting to men, all you need do is look at the unChrist-like attitudes of some of these impudent and hypocritical men. If a woman needs to defend herself against your own belligerent attitude, why in the world would she submit to you?

Let me state again how blessed I am for those men on this site who show Christ-like love and true compassion toward the women here. You are the true men of honor we so desperately need on our side. I am so grateful for you, as I know many other women on this site are, too.

Last edited:
S

Shouryu

I'm not jumping on Kim's scenario, I think it's been well discussed now. But I will share two experiences.

1. I have been sexually harassed.
It was by two women whom I consider to be friends, and I know they didn't mean to make me feel harassed. They thought they were being complimentary, but at the same time, their behavior was unwanted, and while I was not physically or professionally intimated/overpowered, I WAS physically cornered and not about push my way through two somewhat busty and inebriated co-workers.

We were at a birthday/going-away party for a co-worker...actually, it was the AFTER party, at someone's apartment. I was there in two functions - as a good friend of the birthday girl, and as designated driver for several of the other attendees. The kitchen in this apartment was long and narrow, barely wide enough for two people to stand side-by-side. I was at the end of the kitchen, rinsing my glass, and then getting ice from the bag in the sink because Dr.Pepper Ten. When I turned back around, my two friends were right up on me, and their hands all over my torso before I even knew what was happening.
"What's all this? What are these things up here?"
"Yeah, what's this? These abs and stuff. You never wear shirts like this to work."

Notice what I said before: I know that they didn't mean any harm, and they were being complimentary. Those are the defences that harassers toss out all the time, and they may very well be true, as they were in MY case. But the harasser's intent does not dictate how the harassed feels. Just because 'they didn't mean it that way,' it doesn't change the way that I felt, and it doesn't make me at fault. If they wanted to pay me a compliment, they could have done it in numerous other ways,instead of in a way that made me feel shocked and uncomfortable.

When I mentioned this to another co-worker a day or two later (the birthday girl), you know what her response was? "With that shirt and those pecs, you were asking for it."

Just goes to show that there's no sexual discrimination when it comes to all of the standard lines in sexual harassment.

2.I have defended The Ex (and her friends) from harassment.
I actually made fast friends with The Ex's girlfriends. As The Ex was the one in the group with a boyfriend, I would occasionally be invited along for their nights out. So one evening, we're at a bar, sitting at table, enjoying our drinks, when a guy approached the table from behind me. I should point out, for those of you who have forgotten, that at this time, I had hair that went to my waist...so he didn't see my face at first, only my hair and back.
He stands at our table between the my chair and The Ex's chair. “So, ladies. Good to see you all here tonight. You all look great. Clearly new to town, I'd like to show you around.”
(I am sitting patiently, like Gendo Ikari, not sure where this going to go.)
The Ex looks up at him, annoyed. “Who said we were new in town? We all went to Montwood years ago. We're from El Paso.” (Side note,I am not from El Paso, and did not go to Montwood.)
Pick-up artist is not easily defeated. “Well, okay, you're not new to town. But you ARE all new to my [penis].”
All of the women's eyes widen, amazed at the sheer audacity of his approach. I stand up calmly, and now he can see my face (and goatee). His expression drops.
Let me be sure that I heard you correctly. Did you just offer my girlfriend your [penis]?”
Pick-up artist is not quite sure what to do now. “Uh...well, actually, I was offering [penis] to everyone at the table...sooo...I was actually offering it to you, too.”
If I hadn't been livid about how he'd spoken to my girlfriend, I might have laughed. But I didn't. I simply said, “Walk away from this table. NOW.”
And he slinked away. Within 5 minutes, he'd left the bar.

So, that's my personal experience. It's how I handled it. It's how I handled it then, and likely how I would handle it now, although it would be unlikely that I would be accompanying my woman and her group of female friends to such a place. It'd be more in line with several couples, and probably not at a bar outright, either.

V

VioletReigns

I'm not jumping on Kim's scenario, I think it's been well discussed now. But I will share two experiences.

1. I have been sexually harassed.
It was by two women whom I consider to be friends, and I know they didn't mean to make me feel harassed. They thought they were being complimentary, but at the same time, their behavior was unwanted, and while I was not physically or professionally intimated/overpowered, I WAS physically cornered and not about push my way through two somewhat busty and inebriated co-workers.

We were at a birthday/going-away party for a co-worker...actually, it was the AFTER party, at someone's apartment. I was there in two functions - as a good friend of the birthday girl, and as designated driver for several of the other attendees. The kitchen in this apartment was long and narrow, barely wide enough for two people to stand side-by-side. I was at the end of the kitchen, rinsing my glass, and then getting ice from the bag in the sink because Dr.Pepper Ten. When I turned back around, my two friends were right up on me, and their hands all over my torso before I even knew what was happening.
"What's all this? What are these things up here?"
"Yeah, what's this? These abs and stuff. You never wear shirts like this to work."

Notice what I said before: I know that they didn't mean any harm, and they were being complimentary. Those are the defences that harassers toss out all the time, and they may very well be true, as they were in MY case. But the harasser's intent does not dictate how the harassed feels. Just because 'they didn't mean it that way,' it doesn't change the way that I felt, and it doesn't make me at fault. If they wanted to pay me a compliment, they could have done it in numerous other ways,instead of in a way that made me feel shocked and uncomfortable.

When I mentioned this to another co-worker a day or two later (the birthday girl), you know what her response was? "With that shirt and those pecs, you were asking for it."

Just goes to show that there's no sexual discrimination when it comes to all of the standard lines in sexual harassment.

2.I have defended The Ex (and her friends) from harassment.
I actually made fast friends with The Ex's girlfriends. As The Ex was the one in the group with a boyfriend, I would occasionally be invited along for their nights out. So one evening, we're at a bar, sitting at table, enjoying our drinks, when a guy approached the table from behind me. I should point out, for those of you who have forgotten, that at this time, I had hair that went to my waist...so he didn't see my face at first, only my hair and back.
He stands at our table between the my chair and The Ex's chair. “So, ladies. Good to see you all here tonight. You all look great. Clearly new to town, I'd like to show you around.”
(I am sitting patiently, like Gendo Ikari, not sure where this going to go.)
The Ex looks up at him, annoyed. “Who said we were new in town? We all went to Montwood years ago. We're from El Paso.” (Side note,I am not from El Paso, and did not go to Montwood.)
Pick-up artist is not easily defeated. “Well, okay, you're not new to town. But you ARE all new to my [penis].”
All of the women's eyes widen, amazed at the sheer audacity of his approach. I stand up calmly, and now he can see my face (and goatee). His expression drops.
Let me be sure that I heard you correctly. Did you just offer my girlfriend your [penis]?”
Pick-up artist is not quite sure what to do now. “Uh...well, actually, I was offering [penis] to everyone at the table...sooo...I was actually offering it to you, too.”
If I hadn't been livid about how he'd spoken to my girlfriend, I might have laughed. But I didn't. I simply said, “Walk away from this table. NOW.”
And he slinked away. Within 5 minutes, he'd left the bar.

So, that's my personal experience. It's how I handled it. It's how I handled it then, and likely how I would handle it now, although it would be unlikely that I would be accompanying my woman and her group of female friends to such a place. It'd be more in line with several couples, and probably not at a bar outright, either.
Thank you very much for sharing your wisdom on this situation, Brother Shouryu. I totally appreciate your statement:

Just because 'they didn't mean it that way,' it doesn't change the way that I felt, and it doesn't make me at fault. If they wanted to pay me a compliment, they could have done it in numerous other ways, instead of in a way that made me feel shocked and uncomfortable.

AMEN!!! Exactly!

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Shour, thank you so much for taking the time to share this.

WOW, just... WOW. I'm kind of reeling in shock from both stories. People are unbelievably... forward. Not to mention stupid. I
And I'm trying to be polite here.

Thank you so much for pointing out that harassment goes both ways, and that men can be harassed or abused just as much as women.

Thank you also for pointing out that even if the perpetrator doesn't have bad intentions, the recipient might still feel harassed or intimidated and has every right to demand that the behavior ceases, no matter how "helpful" the other person might think they are being.

I absolutely hate the mindset that "someone was asking for it". Really? Is THAT what God would say to me? One of the reasons I'm the Queen of First dates is because I've had Christian men blatantly tell me they'd love sleep with me. ON THE FIRST DATE. I was lamenting that in the threads and the FIRST thing a male poster wrote here was, "Well, how were you dressed?"

ARGH!!!!!! I have said many times that I am a jeans/khaki's and t-shirt kind of gal. So if my $15 jeans and $5 crew neck t-shirt from JCPenney are that much of a turn-on to men, maybe I should consider a future career in the adult entertainment industry, right???!!! NOT.

You all might have seen a recent article in which the pop star Madonna talks about the fact that she was raped when she was young and first came to NY, but didn't report it because she said it just wasn't worth the humiliation.

I have often wrestled as to how I would feel if something terrible happened to me, too. I remember seeing a rape case on TV in which the victim was forced to bring samples of her everyday undergarments for the court to view because they wanted to see if she "dressed like a loose woman."

I would sure hope that when I brought my hurts to God, He wasn't thinking, "Well Kim, if you wouldn't dress and act like such a whore, these things would have never happened to you!" Because that sure seems to be what the majority of the body of Christ will tell you.

Unless you can prove to people that you are a pure, untouched holy human being who has always dresses in nothing but gunny sacks and burkas since birth, you are going to be seen as guilty, hands down. And as evidenced in these threads, I think it's even worse in Christian circles.

And we wonder why no one wants to listen to us about Christ.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
P.S. Want to know how I dress for a date?

Take a look at my avatar. T-shirt. Jeans, khakis, or walking shorts. Sneakers or loafers.

Simple.

If that screams, "MAKE INAPPROPRIATE COMMENTS AT ME" then I guess I'm a lot more appealing than I ever thought.

V

VioletReigns

Here's an eye opener: Even a prostitute must give someone consent. Otherwise, it's sexual assault.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
One of the reasons why I have written threads about sexual abuse/harassment in the past as well is because I don't think many people seem to acknowledge that a good majority of the population has gone through these types of abuses.

There is a very good chance that MANY of use will date and even marry those who have dealt with those who have been harassed or abused.

Asking the person, "Well, what did you do/wear to deserve it or bring it on?" isn't going to impress a future spousal candidate or make them feel safe.

You might not even know that the person has gone through this. There might be a discussion going on and maybe the one God wants you to meet, or the person you're interested in overhears this type of attitude... and will then completely avoid someone who thinks like this.

I know I would.

A

AgeofKnowledge

But I didn't dismiss it. Now you're not just looking to involve private organizations specializing in criminal sexual assault to go after a man who's only issue was a few off-handed remarks but you're also making up lies about me on CC.

What I stated in post #41 was:

"She should call HR and schedule an appointment to talk to them about it and keep a record of the meeting. HR will talk to Jim as they don't want the government coming down on them with fines, an expensive workplace sexual harassment lawsuit, and a publicly tainted reputation.

Jim will then either comply with the company's HR department policy and request or ignore them and continue his behavior.

If it continues, then Jim gets to talk to a neat branch of the government called the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC):
How To File A Charge

They know how to handle Jim and Jim won't like what happens next. That's a fact."

and in post #43 I said:

"...the standard procedure is to go to HR and if that doesn't resolve it go to the EEOC. They will deal with it appropriately. It's what they do."

OBVIOUSLY, I DID NOT "DISMISS IT AND BLAME THE VICTIM." That is a delusion you fabricated in your own mind and then publicly projected at me in this thread. It's a lie. I never did that and I can use big colored fonts too just like you can.

It doesn't matter if it's me, my daughter, my wife, or anyone else. The right thing to do is follow standard procedure in a case like this which is to proceed exactly as I stated in post #41. The situation would be resolved and life would go on.

Your desire to dramatically escalate the situation by bringing in a bunch of feminist private organizations dedicated to fighting criminal sexual assault could seriously backfire. Men who make a few off-handed remarks at work have rights too you know. Libel/slander, destroying his reputation, getting him fired, filing false allegations, etc... are all ways to find yourself before a judge as the defendant.

As I stated, you don't get to libel/slander and file false allegations of criminal sexual conduct against men because it's against the law as it should be. You don't get to simply have everyone fired and thrown into prison for a few innocuous remarks that you don't like. Well, maybe in North Korea if you're the wife of Kim Jong-Un you can but not most anywhere else.

The problem is simple to deal with if you follow the law and standard procedure (e.g. best practice). Stop being a drama queen, making up lies about me, and advocating for rapid and material escalation of an issue that can be easily resolved by filing a complaint with the HR department followed by the EEOC if satisfaction is not obtained.

Or, I might go back to using BIG RED FONTS!!!

And this is the very reason why many do not report sexual harassment and assault, because of people like you who dismiss it and blame the victim.

Let me put it in a different perspective that you may understand. Supposing your own daughter came to you in tears and explained that she felt very violated and intimidated by a man at her workplace because he would not cease paying her unwanted attention. She says he is making flirty comments about her physical appearance, calling her “secretary” and “pretty” and suggesting she work for him personally and that it’s causing her real anxiety. And you would look your distraught daughter in the face and reply, “What’s a few off-handed comments? He hasn’t threatened you. Be careful, or you may wind up the defendant.”

That’s how you would reassure your own daughter and come to her defense? You would not take her concerns seriously??

Sheesh… remind me never to accept a date with you. I wouldn’t want to have to defend myself and protect you at the same time if we were harassed by some tough guy on the street.

I want to take this time to thank you men who have posted responses in defense of the woman Carrie (in seoulsearch’s hypothetical situation) and women in general. I am sure every single woman on this site is grateful for your awesome consideration. Thank you, guys! 

I noticed that the majority of the younger men on this site have more respect for women than the older men (Not all of the older men, thank the Lord!). It’s probably because some of the men still have that old patriarch “king of his castle” mentality where he believes he has moral authority over women and young men and feels he has social and religious privilege by “virtue” of being a man.

I've been involved with anti-violence organizations for quite a while and am quite familiar with laws regarding sexual harassment. It has become a social practice. It plays predominantly on the vulnerability of women (and in some cases, men).

And because of people with mindsets like yours AgeofKnowledge, many women are unwilling to endure the damage of their reputation and the prospects of promotion at in the workplace and decide not to report sexual harassment. They are afraid of having to prove the sexual advances were against their will and not consensual or deserved in any way. She will have to show she had resisted with perfect compliance with legally specified terms of the company’s policies. Although she is the victim, she is afraid she will become the defendant, just as you suggested in your post.

Fortunately, the courts are becoming quite familiar with the tactics of sexual offenders. It’s becoming easier to identify a predator because he is so accustomed to acting on impulse that he pretty much hangs himself. He is blind to his own arrogance and is so presumptuous that the judge sees right through his thin veil of defense. “Out of the heart, the mouth speaks,” says the Word of God. Most of these perpetrators reveal their derogatory mentalities just by opening their mouths.

What I find terrifically strange is that there are men on this site who supposedly purport to valuing “women who are modest and submissive” but who are not submissive themselves to the Lord regarding “considering the woman as a weaker vessel.” If you ever wonder why many women take issue with submitting to men, all you need do is look at the unChrist-like attitudes of some of these impudent and hypocritical men. If a woman needs to defend herself against your own belligerent attitude, why in the world would she submit to you?

Let me state again how blessed I am for those men on this site who show Christ-like love and true compassion toward the women here. You are the true men of honor we so desperately need on our side. I am so grateful for you, as I know many other women on this site are, too.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Wow.

Just wow.

Okay, perhaps "Jim" is a bit of an idiot, but being an idiot isn't "necessarily" breaking any laws.
Maybe he's breaking laws, and maybe he isn't, but being stupid isn't necessarily a criminal offense.

The girl is free to take her charges to Jim's boss, or HR, or whoever, and thereby deal in a proper and official way with any "injustice" she feels has occurred... either real or imagined.
Case closed.
Done.
End of discussion.

I will just add one more thing.
I'm always extremely diligent to be proper, and be a gentlemen, and if a woman chose to "accuse" me of sexual harassment to further her career or make a quick buck...
she would have "defamation" charges coming out her bum faster than she could blink.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Let me clarify just a bit more.

Humans are sinful, fallen creatures.
They ALL take advantage of EACH OTHER.

It doesn't go in only one direction.
If some men feel they have power over a woman, they'll abuse her...
if some women feel they have power over a man, they'll abuse him, or accuse him.

All humans are fallen, and sinful...
all humans are prone to take advantage of all other humans.
The men in the workplace are fallen sinners, and so are the women.

S

ServantStrike

Here's an eye opener: Even a prostitute must give someone consent. Otherwise, it's sexual assault.
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. A woman can walk down the street naked and if someone touches her - that's still assault. How someone is dressed has absolutely no bearing on whether or not they are assaulted (or worse, raped), nor should it hold any legal weight in court when the DA is trying to nail the assailant to the wall.
I would give the guy the chance to correct his behavior by telling him straight up that he's out of line and making me extremely uncomfortable. I would let him know I will not tolerate any further unwanted attention. I would give him that ONE opportunity. After that, it's a criminal matter. Sexual Harassment Training: Can Staring Be Considered Harassment?
Now this I don't agree with. The term "stare rape" has been coined for just such a circumstance. Not only does it make it harder for people who have truly been assaulted to be viewed seriously, but it also doesn't hold up in court. There isn't enough evidence for a jury of 12 to convict. Reasonable doubt is the hang up there. And you know what, I'm glad in this case, or people could just start making up the allegation that they were stared at, and our prisons would be even more overcrowded. Heck, children would get locked up for taking long car rides - "he's staring at me, now he's making faces." Two years in jail and you're a sex offender kid, have a nice life.

jogoldie

Mar 20, 2014
Quite a few years ago .....I was driving a forklift in a warehouse...I was the only woman....
I worked hard....I kept up with the work load..... even excelled at my job....I worked for the company
for many years...one night ....I was alone back by the battery station changing the one on my forklift......when a guy ran up behind me while I was bent over pushing the thing.....he grabbed me by my waist and leaned into me.....
I was terrified.....nothing like that's has ever happened to me....I yelled at him and shoved him away...
I went directly to management .....they said....." The next time he does it we will fire him.......what da what.....I went directly to the union.......they acted so fast ......they made him apologize and wanted to fire him.......after the others found out what he did.....most of them shunned him....and gave him a hard time......there is always a few jerks........but the majority of my coworkers ....and all men....were
just as mad as I was.......

Roh_Chris

Jun 15, 2014
In India, the law has made it mandatory for every company who employs women to have a Woman's Commission. This Commission is independent of the HR department and is empowered to take cognisance and to investigate any complaint of sexual harassment in the workplace. Though not every company follows this, should there be a complaint which is brought to the notice of the cops, the company's management could be prosecuted on two counts - 1) For failing to investigate the complaint, and 2) For failing to set up a Woman's Commission for investigating such complaints.

As a bf/husband whose gf/wife is being sexually harassed by 'Jim', I would tell her to first give him a stern warning orally. If that fails, then I would ask her to see if her manager can be trusted to handle her complaint professionally. If not, I would advise her to approach the Woman's Commission in her company and to register a complaint. Plan B - if nothing will work and if 'Jim' is shielded from any internal investigation, then we will pray and decide whether she must quit the job or she must stay and fight it through the legal route.

While I, as her significant other, is affected by this, I will not handle this myself unless I am forced to. I would let her handle this issue while I provide her the emotional and spiritual support that she needs. This is because she would be the best person to know the dynamics of her organization and the politics inside it. So it would be wiser to let her deal with this issue unless and until her efforts at filing an internal complaint are being thwarted by 'Jim' and his 'associates'.

V

VioletReigns

"THERE IS NO SPOON." :rolleyes:

sure.gif

S

ServantStrike

What bearing does a quote from the Matrix about Neo becoming self aware, and a picture of Julia Lous-Dreyfus from Seinfeild using a quote from the traitorous Cyper have here?

What is it you want exactly? Do you want all the men in the world to offer to step in and tune up the offending party out back behind the woodshed? Do you want us to immediately close ranks and say "SUE THEM." Or do you want a rational and calculated answer.

Several guys here never said word one about the way the hypothetical Carrie was dressed, nor did they say "well boys will be boys", yet since they said lawsuits were a bad idea, it seems you're not happy with the outcome. Why? Part of a role as a protector (which in your own words is very important) is knowing when it's just not possible to win a fight.

You can't win with a sexual harassment lawsuit. No one ever does. Even when you win, you lose, and those around you lose too. You put a big target on your back that the next potential employer sees and says "uh oh, that one sues, I don't know what for, but they sue, better find a different candidate."

Dec 31, 2014
1. If you were Carrie's boyfriend, what would you do? Would you advise her to look for a new job and support her in that, even if it meant she would be out of work for a while, or would have to take a pay cut?

2. If you were Carrie's husband, and you'd just bought a new car, were paying for your child's medical condition, and were barely paying your rent/mortgage as it was, what would you want Carrie to do? How would you support her?
No no no, this is not the way to go about any of this,
the word defenestration exists for a reason.

locke-defenestration.jpg

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Is it just me or is this thread escalating rather more quickly than normal for CC Singles?

Although it's escalating along rather predictable lines... it almost feels like I know what the next salvo will be before it is fired.