What would your wedding be like if you got married

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Miri

A few threads on here lately made me think of this question.

My preferred option would be to elope to Gretna Green (Scotland) on jeans and T-shirt.

No frills no expensive fussy do. Definitely not a frilly lacy wedding dress! Lol

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
We flew to Las Vegas for our wedding and a short honeymoon. Our nuptials were performed in our room at the Hilton by a local minister with two bell hops and a maid for witnesses.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Maybe in a field of flowers on a comfy spring day....

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
No idea depends on what was decided. I presume it would have two witnesses and solemn vows. But thats about it.

However, Im not going to sign my life away just yet. Ive already promised God to serve Him and Hes never indicated that I need marriage. Maybe if God forbid both my parents died but even then He never said Lanolin you need to seek someone out NOW or you'll end up old and lonely.

I have been to gretna green, its a tourist attraction that stages mock weddings. Im doing a business course where the teacher has her own business, and it too is mock weddings for the LBTQ crowd. Apparently those with two disposable incomes will be willing to pay anything just to get married. Which is now legal in my country.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
We flew to Las Vegas for our wedding and a short honeymoon. Our nuptials were performed in our room at the Hilton by a local minister with two bell hops and a maid for witnesses.
I just wonder if it happens so often in that city that maids get paid extra for the service...

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I just wonder if it happens so often in that city that maids get paid extra for the service...
Perhaps not but we left her a pretty good tip. Afterwards she took a lot of pics from her cell phone.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
However, I'm not going to sign my life away just yet. I've already promised God to serve Him and He's never indicated that I need marriage. Maybe if God forbid both my parents died but even then He never said Lanolin you need to seek someone out NOW or you'll end up old and lonely.
I don't believe that anyone really needs marriage but rather it's just a mutual personal choice. You can always serve God regardless if you're married or not. Regardless if you get married or not you can still end up old and lonely. Not to sure if I would equate marriage with signing your life away but it is a major life-changing situation. It's for better or worse...

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I must be an unusual woman as I never daydreamed of "the big day". I thought about meeting that special person but the wedding was almost irrelevant to me. At this point in my life, if I did find myself contemplating marriage, part of the fun of the wedding would be seeing what is perfect for us as a couple. Whether it would be a backyard wedding with friends and family, vows in a country church or beachside, I know there would be love and laughter. That would be perfect.

K

Kim82

What did y'all parents, family and friends have to say about not being invited?

K

Kim82

With a wedding so small think of all the left over food! The maids must be well fed. Perhaps that's incentive enough.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
People in their sixties do not always have living parents. Nor do we seek their approval as we may have while young. Asking people to pay for travel costs to attend a wedding is also often onerous, as is arranging the time to get off work to attend. Having a reception style party to celebrate the happy union at a time and place more convenient to all involved may be a better option :)

K

Kim82

I don't know what kind of wedding I'll have. It will just be a pleasant surprise for me, which I'll plan at that time. But right now I'm not sure.

I've never been to a wedding before :( I'd really like to. I love weddings.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I must be an unusual woman as I never daydreamed of "the big day". I thought about meeting that special person but the wedding was almost irrelevant to me. At this point in my life, if I did find myself contemplating marriage, part of the fun of the wedding would be seeing what is perfect for us as a couple. Whether it would be a backyard wedding with friends and family, vows in a country church or beachside, I know there would be love and laughter. That would be perfect.
I do not find that unusual at all. I thought institutionalized relationships were a sham because of the way men behaved when their wives were not around. How could anyone in their right mind want that? I do understand that it is not just men who are unfaithful, but I did not have married women making passes at me when I was a young teen ;) So I did not dream of getting married in that big day/white dress kind of way, either, though I did hope to find love, and have it be mutually reciprocated. I believe I now have :D

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
They were more than OK with that especially since it was her second marriage and my third.

Our original plan was to have Lynx, who is a minister, performed the nuptials in Tennessee (we live in Florida) but when he graciously declined we quickly changed our plans. It was sort of like an elopement. We both knew what we wanted, had prayed about this, and also had an extensive pre-marital counseling which showed that we were very compatible with each other. We got married on Thanksgiving Day in 2014 and have not looked back since.

When my younger brother was planning to get married a second time a few years after his divorce he invited me to attend. The thing was that the date scheduled was during a very busy period in my place of employment and that I didn't want to miss any work. So I made him a deal. I would not be attending his second wedding but I promise to attend his third. I keep that promise a few years later.

I believe that any wedding arrangements are really for the bride and not the groom, especially if it is her first (and hopefully only) wedding. I made a deal with my soon to be wife too, she would consent to be married in Las Vegas if I would drop my insistence that of having Elvis officiating at the Little Wedding Chapel. It all worked out in the end.

That Elvis thing would've been cool though.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
People in their sixties do not always have living parents. Nor do we seek their approval as we may have while young. Asking people to pay for travel costs to attend a wedding is also often onerous, as is arranging the time to get off work to attend. Having a reception style party to celebrate the happy union at a time and place more convenient to all involved may be a better option :)
I absolutely agree. We got together an our annual Christmas party a few weeks later and did some celebrating with the family. We would've have gotten married with or without family approval but it turns out the family approved. My many nieces and nephews all love Aunt Darlene and so do my brothers and sister. Actually, she is probably more involved with my family than I am. My daughter Jackie and her husband Steve love my wife too along with their 5 children who now call her Grandma Darlin'.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
With a wedding so small think of all the left over food! The maids must be well fed. Perhaps that's incentive enough.
The Hilton gave us a complimentary Thanksgiving dinner as their thanks for us getting married in their hotel. There was no leftover food believe me.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I don't know what kind of wedding I'll have. It will just be a pleasant surprise for me, which I'll plan at that time. But right now I'm not sure.

I've never been to a wedding before :( I'd really like to. I love weddings.
I love weddings too as they are very festive occasions and everyone seems to be happy at the moment.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I don't believe that anyone really needs marriage but rather it's just a mutual personal choice. You can always serve God regardless if you're married or not. Regardless if you get married or not you can still end up old and lonely. Not to sure if I would equate marriage with signing your life away but it is a major life-changing situation. It's for better or worse...
I'd have to agree (or disagree) depending on how you are using the the word "marriage". If you are using it in the civil sense of getting a license at the county court, and having a ceremony (be it civil or religious) where an officiant signs that license with witnesses, I would agree. If you are using the word marriage in the biblical sense of having a covenant (not contract) between a man, a woman, and God I have to disagree vehemently.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I'd have to agree (or disagree) depending on how you are using the the word "marriage". If you are using it in the civil sense of getting a license at the county court, and having a ceremony (be it civil or religious) where an officiant signs that license with witnesses, I would agree. If you are using the word marriage in the biblical sense of having a covenant (not contract) between a man, a woman, and God I have to disagree vehemently.
For clarification, I was commenting on a member stating that she feels that God is not telling her at this moment that she needs marriage. As I have stated, I don't believe that anyone really 'needs' marriage but one makes the personal choice to get married. In my opinion, a marriage is a contract between a man and a woman and God and is valid until death do they part. In a civil ceremony you are legally married but when God is present you are now spiritually married as well. I'm not sure if contract is the right word or covenant but in my understanding they may be the same thing.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hey, it wasn't MY fault! My little local minister's license does not permit doing weddings or funerals. :p