Where is the Gentleness and Humility?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020
I used the dictionary and was scolded for it.
Dear me Magenta--you seem to want to have a quarrell--well I don't--he asked what the difference was between rudeness and refutation and I pointed him to the dictionary--I specifically addressed his question. It's all about context.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
You are wise, Matthew--the bible does say "It is a glory to overlook and offence." However, I do think sometimes the administrators might at least give the repeat offenders a warning.
Christ has made it clear how we are to react when people on this site declare themselves to be an enemy of another christian poster because of a difference in interpretation, or them imagining that when we quote scripture instruction to us it is something they are accused of.

We are not to react to our enemies by also being an enemy. When they act as as an enemy it is really between them and God, not against us. We are to respond with kindness, not by fighting back. That goes against my fleshly nature and I have often failed by telling myself it is only protecting myself.

Mar 4, 2020
"15If your brother sins against you, go and confront him privately. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, regard him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.…"--Matthew 18: 16-17
Did you confront them privately or did you generalize with specific individuals in mind on a public forum?

Did you handpick two or three witnesses and when/if that failed, did you tell it to your church?

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Rom 16:17 "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."
That's not what the author's original post is about. The verse you quoted is about doctrinal error and deceivers. The OP is about people who aren't gentle or humble. I think there's a difference.
Precious friend, so then it is your contention that going Against "teaching {doctrine} about being humble, kind, gentle, peaceful, and loving" to others In Paul's GRACE ministry, should NOT be included in "doctrinal error"? And, further, is it your
contention that we "should NOT mark" those repeated offenders, and "AVOID them"
(cp "reject"
Titus 3:10)?

Conclusion, would it not behoove us to obey God, and move on to other Very Needy
souls who may need God's Gospel Of GRACE and teaching Of the doctrine of the
"fellowship Of The MYSTERY,"
so that they Also can live humbly, kindly, gently, and
lovingly, for God? ie:

(2 Timothy 2:15; Romans 16:25; Ephesians 1:3-9; Ephesians 3:9 =
Grace/Mystery fellowship {Romans – Philemon}, For ALL, today?)

Please Be Richly Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, and Edified!
God’s Simple Will!

Jul 9, 2020
I think people that get offended all the time just need to grow thicker skin instead of complaining about everyone else hurting their delicate sensibilities. Crybaby Christians give Christianity a bad name.

That said, that Bible Discussion Forum here has convinced me of the futility of Sola Scriptura. With Sola Scriptura a million people
read the bible with a million different interpretations on what's correct. They all wind up fighting each other over every little thing. I have just become convinced that this is not what God intended.

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020
I think people that get offended all the time just need to grow thicker skin instead of complaining about everyone else hurting their delicate sensibilities. Crybaby Christians give Christianity a bad name.

That said, that Bible Discussion Forum here has convinced me of the futility of Sola Scriptura. With Sola Scriptura a million people
read the bible with a million different interpretations on what's correct. They all wind up fighting each other over every little thing. I have just become convinced that this is not what God intended.
Agreed! It's funny, Surfer, because in one forum they are at nearly 2000 posts--I asked if anyone had happened to change over to the other 'side' or had any epiphanies--one person said they had a few epiphanies, but weren't persuaded to change sides. I joked and said it's like the North and South of Christian Chat. I'm deciding whether or not I'll stay on this site. I did have a couple of epiphanies while studying definitions of different words in scripture, but other than that, I think Id be better off spiritually and emotionally --not to mention time wise if I instead, read my bible and did other 'real life' things that are of much greater importance--this is my first time on chat and there's something weirdly addictive to it.:censored:

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Some people, like you, may take offense when I told you to go to the dictionary to look up the definitions. I don't see that I was in anyway attacking you. Facetious? Yes. Attacking? No.
Unfortunately, you did exactly what I expected you to do, and you continue to do so. Don't worry; I'm not offended in the least.

Please, the next time you want to call out what you consider bad behaviour of others, consider how your behaviour is perceived. You might not be considered the angel you see in the mirror. ;)

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
I'll just don my battle armor and stand here & take whatever hits come my way......... ;)

Jul 9, 2020
Agreed! It's funny, Surfer, because in one forum they are at nearly 2000 posts--I asked if anyone had happened to change over to the other 'side' or had any epiphanies--one person said they had a few epiphanies, but weren't persuaded to change sides. I joked and said it's like the North and South of Christian Chat. I'm deciding whether or not I'll stay on this site. I did have a couple of epiphanies while studying definitions of different words in scripture, but other than that, I think Id be better off spiritually and emotionally --not to mention time wise if I instead, read my bible and did other 'real life' things that are of much greater importance--this is my first time on chat and there's something weirdly addictive to it.:censored:
LOL...ya. I've had the same thoughts. Exact same.

I certainly haven't been convinced of any new thing on the BDF.... other than the obvious (to me) futility of Sola Scriptura.

Regarding whether or not you should stay...
I think there are quite a few loons here. But there are loons everywhere.
This place can certainly be a time waste. But anything can be a time waste.
Do you have some kind of greater purpose you're trying to accomplish? How does time spent here fit into that?
There are some things about this site I would certainly be cautious of. Just never forget that the people spend time with will influence you and you will influence them. That can be good or bad.

I wish you all the best, Laura, regardless of what you decide.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
I’m dismayed at how so many so called ‘believers’ interact in these Chat forums--not all but several interact with arrogance, condescension, and sarcasm--I’m truly surprised that these individuals are not warned or banned from the site. Debating a point can and ought to be done with kindness and gentleness--there is no reason to be rude. We are called to be salt and light in the world--if an unbeliever were to read some of the posts, I can’t imagine they’d want anything to do with Christianity. Also, it seems they often argue/debate simply for the sake of arguing, not to glorify God or to bring light to Truth--they go round and round--it’s like beating a dead horse. And note too, if you call these ‘believers’ out on it, instead of being apologetic, they, like the Pharisees and Sadducees become defensive.

“12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”--Colossians 3:12

“2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”--Ephesians 4:2

“5 In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”--1st Peter 5:5

11 For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
In my experience, there are those who are gentle, love mercy and justice and seek God. But yes, you are right, so many who prophess to believe are a mere shadow and have no love. I'm old so will not seek the true believers out. The things I have seen of the Hutterites and some others have been heart warming.

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020
In my experience, there are those who are gentle, love mercy and justice and seek God. But yes, you are right, so many who prophess to believe are a mere shadow and have no love. I'm old so will not seek the true believers out. The things I have seen of the Hutterites and some others have been heart warming.
Thank you, Katia--and I'll look them up--are they like the Brethren or Amish?

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020
LOL...ya. I've had the same thoughts. Exact same.

I certainly haven't been convinced of any new thing on the BDF.... other than the obvious (to me) futility of Sola Scriptura.

Regarding whether or not you should stay...
I think there are quite a few loons here. But there are loons everywhere.
This place can certainly be a time waste. But anything can be a time waste.
Do you have some kind of greater purpose you're trying to accomplish? How does time spent here fit into that?
There are some things about this site I would certainly be cautious of. Just never forget that the people spend time with will influence you and you will influence them. That can be good or bad.

I wish you all the best, Laura, regardless of what you decide.
Thanks Surfer for your well wishes--I've never been on a chat in my life--I used facebook when it came out in 2005 until 2007 and deleted my account--I want to see people face to face--but now with remote work--and now out of work--I was going a bit loony so broke down and joined this chat....:confused:

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020
Unfortunately, you did exactly what I expected you to do, and you continue to do so. Don't worry; I'm not offended in the least.

Please, the next time you want to call out what you consider bad behaviour of others, consider how your behaviour is perceived. You might not be considered the angel you see in the mirror. ;)
Dino, I can't imagine a human on this earth who doesn't do something they need to be called out on--we ALL DO. Sheesh. I can't believe this---I was pointing out a pattern I see in the forums--people like trolls on youtube here. Anyway, I see I offended you with my facetious comment--I'm sorry. I understand that sardonic wit can by annoying at times, especially amongst strangers. I will try to be more thoughtful in my comments. My apologies for offending you.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
But I'm in total agreement many here skim what you say and immediately go into attack mode; this is just a fact of life here.
It is very unfortunate - yes, I see this happen a lot it seems.

They are all-too-ready to shoot down whatever you have to say - and, don't really give good attention to reading what you actually wrote.

They 'skim' your post - they 'catch' a few choice words - they go into attack mode...

(sigh)

Why can't people simply discuss a topic?

Too much pride.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Dino, I can't imagine a human on this earth who doesn't do something they need to be called out on--we ALL DO. Sheesh. I can't believe this---I was pointing out a pattern I see in the forums--people like trolls on youtube here. Anyway, I see I offended you with my facetious comment--I'm sorry. I understand that sardonic wit can by annoying at times, especially amongst strangers. I will try to be more thoughtful in my comments. My apologies for offending you.
I wasn't offended.

I suspect you and I are more alike than you might want to admit. ;)

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
I’m dismayed at how so many so called ‘believers’ interact in these Chat forums--not all but several interact with arrogance, condescension, and sarcasm--I’m truly surprised that these individuals are not warned or banned from the site. Debating a point can and ought to be done with kindness and gentleness--there is no reason to be rude. We are called to be salt and light in the world--if an unbeliever were to read some of the posts, I can’t imagine they’d want anything to do with Christianity. Also, it seems they often argue/debate simply for the sake of arguing, not to glorify God or to bring light to Truth--they go round and round--it’s like beating a dead horse. And note too, if you call these ‘believers’ out on it, instead of being apologetic, they, like the Pharisees and Sadducees become defensive.

“12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”--Colossians 3:12

“2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”--Ephesians 4:2

“5 In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”--1st Peter 5:5

11 For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
I don't know if this has been said, but I will put in my two cents.

Not everyone who posts on a Christian Message Board is a genuine believer in Christ; and this includes those who have designated themselves as "Christian" on their profile.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
Thank you, Katia--and I'll look them up--are they like the Brethren or Amish?
Amish, Mennonites and Hutterites are Anabaptists. I would say that the Hutterites are the more mild of the three, and I love their dresses. :)