Where was Jesus for the three days between his death and resurrection?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Well, that's my point... many people, many opinions, see?
Rarely (if ever) have I seen this topic discussed where everyone is on the same page.
From an earlier post:

https://christianchat.com/threads/what-about-gen-6.208962/post-5030139

"There are many problems with that view. I will point out a few of them.

1) God pronouncing judgement and the destruction of the ENTIRE WORLD for the trivial supposed sin of blue bloods marrying so-called lower classes makes no sense whatsoever. And woefully impugns the character of God IMO.

2) There is not one single case post flood of God rendering devastating judgement for such a supposed sin. Yes, the offspring of Abraham and Israel were to maintain their integrity in this regard. But this was with respect to religion.....not RANK. And there is nothing said and no warning whatsoever as far as gentiles and the Church is concerned.

3) There WERE in fact real literal (six-fingered and toed) inhuman giants NOTED from at least Abraham and undoubtedly earlier.
"Really? Well then why was it so that these "heightened humans" were specifically marked out for wholesale EXTERMINATION like cockroaches by Chedorlaomer, Edom, Moab, Moses, Joshua, Caleb......and by the command of YHVH at the conquest of Canaan? These INHUMAN HYBRID GIANTS were so alien that marking them out, seeking them out, then killing them was always prescribed."
https://christianchat.com/threads/what-about-gen-6.208962/post-5025006

4) 2Pet 2:4-6 "angelos", 1Pet 3:19-20 "pneuma", Jude 1:6 "angelos" and Genesis 6 "benai elohim". Why is the term "men" or anything like it not used in four distinct places? Because men are not in view here. Slam dunk.

5) https://christianchat.com/threads/nephelim.208229/post-4966042
"1Pe 3:19
By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
Actually.....the correct term is PROCLAIM. Jesus is not preaching the gospel.
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g2784/kjv/tr/0-1/
Jesus is proclaiming His victory to fallen angels in Tartarus.
2Pe 2:4
For if God messengers who sinned did not spare, but with chains of thick gloom, having cast them down to Tartarus, did deliver them to judgment, having been reserved, "

6) https://christianchat.com/threads/what-about-gen-6.208962/post-5024447
Evidently the Jude 1:6 angels took a downgrade (to satisfy their ungodly lust), while we Christians are gifted with an upgrade.
G3613 - oikētērion - Strong's Greek Lexicon (kjv) (blueletterbible.org)
The KJV translates Strong's G3613 in the following manner: house (1x), habitation (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. a dwelling place, habitation
    1. of the body as a dwelling place for the spirit
Jde 1:6
And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, G3613 he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
2Co 5:2
For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house G3613 which is from heaven:

THAT dear friends is an overwhelming case confirming that yes, fallen angels were the culprit."

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
From an earlier post:

1) God pronouncing judgement and the destruction of the ENTIRE WORLD for the trivial supposed sin of blue bloods marrying so-called lower classes makes no sense whatsoever. And woefully impugns the character of God IMO.

2) There is not one single case post flood of God rendering devastating judgement for such a supposed sin. Yes, the offspring of Abraham and Israel were to maintain their integrity in this regard. But this was with respect to religion.....not RANK. And there is nothing said and no warning whatsoever as far as gentiles and the Church is concerned.

3) There WERE in fact real literal (six-fingered and toed) inhuman giants NOTED from at least Abraham and undoubtedly earlier.
"Really? Well then why was it so that these "heightened humans" were specifically marked out for wholesale EXTERMINATION like cockroaches by Chedorlaomer, Edom, Moab, Moses, Joshua, Caleb......and by the command of YHVH at the conquest of Canaan? These INHUMAN HYBRID GIANTS were so alien that marking them out, seeking them out, then killing them was always prescribed."

4) 2Pet 2:4-6 "angelos", 1Pet 3:19-20 "pneuma", Jude 1:6 "angelos" and Genesis 6 "benai elohim". Why is the term "men" or anything like it not used in four distinct places? Because men are not in view here. Slam dunk.

For if God messengers who sinned did not spare, but with chains of thick gloom, having cast them down to Tartarus, did deliver them to judgment, having been reserved, "

Evidently the Jude 1:6 angels took a downgrade (to satisfy their ungodly lust), while we Christians are gifted with an upgrade.
The KJV translates Strong's G3613 in the following manner: house (1x), habitation (1x).
And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, G3613 he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house G3613 which is from heaven:

THAT dear friends is an overwhelming case confirming that yes, fallen angels were the culprit."
From an earlier post:
https://christianchat.com/threads/what-about-gen-6.208962/post-5030142

"BTW.....there is only ONE post flood judgement of severe magnitude that destroyed an entire territory and everyone in it:
Sodom and Gomorrah.
What kind of sin was so grievous in God's eyes in that case? "Fornication/going after strange flesh".

Jde 1:7
Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Certainly not nobles marrying scullery maids."

L

Locoponydirtman

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: by which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
1 Peter 3:18‭-‬20
This sums it up .

Vindicator

Nov 11, 2021
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: by which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
1 Peter 3:18‭-‬20
This sums it up .

Greetings, Dirtman.

If you could, give me a breakdown of the full passage. I've been trying to get CV5 to provide me one because proper interpretation of the passage is the crux of the question at hand in this thread.

17 It is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.

Ted01

May 14, 2022
From an earlier post:

While I appreciate your thoughts on this subject and the effort that you've put into studying the Word... but I think that we'll have to agree to disagree, for now.

I am not seeing that any of this "expressly/precisely" places Jesus in Tartarus (the place of the wicked). And so, I remain
unconvinced that He ever did so.

I do believe that Jesus went to "Believer's side of Abraham's Bosam/Shaol/Hades"... but am not willing to accept the idea that He went to the "other side".

L

Locoponydirtman

Greetings, Dirtman.

If you could, give me a breakdown of the full passage. I've been trying to get CV5 to provide me one because proper interpretation of the passage is the crux of the question at hand in this thread.

17 It is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.
I think its very self explanatory.
He went into the prison where the disobedient who died during the flood are kept to preach to them.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
I do believe that Jesus went to "???Believer's side??? of Abraham's Bosam/Shaol/Hades"... but am not willing to accept the idea that He went to the "other side".
Reading in terms of context, comprehensiveness leads to only one conclusion.

1Pe 3:19
1Pe 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Its a slam dunk.

L

Locoponydirtman

The Apostles creed states it this way, "He decended into Hell".

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Greetings, Dirtman.

The proper interpretation must include ALL of the parallel passages. Which I have earlier provided.
Days of Noah, fallen angels, prison, chains, Tartarus, strange flesh, sons of God daughters of men, Nephilim......its all one complete package.

The time constraint is DAYS OF NOAH, and not any time afterward. Not days from Adam to Jesus.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
I’m assuming he was saving the captives. The righteous who had died before him that were in Abraham’s bosom. Also I read a verse that says he may have gone to Hades to proclaim to the spirits that rejected his name in the days of Noah. Anyone have any insight on this?
God never gave up as us.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The Apostles creed states it this way, "He descended into Hell".
And that should have really been "He descended into Hades". We know this from two verses of Scripture where it is Christ who speaks: Because thou wilt not leave my soul in [Hades], neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. (Acts 2:27) For thou wilt not leave my soul in [Sheol]; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. (Psalms 16:10) In both instances the King James translators used "hell" incorrectly, and caused a lot of confusion,

When the Lord Jesus Christ dismissed His spirit on the cross, His soul and spirit went to Sheol/Hades for three days and three nights. While He was there He preached to the spirits in prison. Actually He proclaimed His victory on the cross, and that word should have been "proclaimed" (Gk kerux). Even the souls and spirits of the righteous dead were in "prison" since they had to remain in Sheol/Hades (not Hell) until the resurrection of Christ.

On the day of His resurrection, when Christ first ascended to Heaven He took all these OT saints with Him to Heaven. Therefore "He led captivity captive". Those saints are presently in the New Jerusalem, and since the day of Pentecost God sees them as "the spirits of just men made perfect". He also sees them as "a great cloud of witnesses.

Vindicator

Nov 11, 2021
The proper interpretation must include ALL of the parallel passages. Which I have earlier provided.
Days of Noah, fallen angels, prison, chains, Tartarus, strange flesh, sons of God daughters of men, Nephilim......its all one complete package.

The time constraint is DAYS OF NOAH, and not any time afterward. Not days from Adam to Jesus.

CV5, what I'm asking for is an exegesis; a breakdown verse-by-verse of the entire passage, defining how you interpret every word in every phrase. It's rarely something I get, however, so maybe I shouldn't even be asking, but in order to evaluate whether an interpretation holds water or not, the entire thing has to be analyzed in its context, and for us to do that, it would take you presenting yours and seeing if it holds up to critique in context. That's why I was asking for your exegesis of 1 Peter 3:17-22.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
And that should have really been "He descended into Hades". We know this from two verses of Scripture where it is Christ who speaks: Because thou wilt not leave my soul in [Hades], neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. (Acts 2:27) For thou wilt not leave my soul in [Sheol]; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. (Psalms 16:10) In both instances the King James translators used "hell" incorrectly, and caused a lot of confusion,

When the Lord Jesus Christ dismissed His spirit on the cross, His soul and spirit went to Sheol/Hades for three days and three nights. While He was there He preached to the spirits in prison. Actually He proclaimed His victory on the cross, and that word should have been "proclaimed" (Gk kerux). Even the souls and spirits of the righteous dead were in "prison" since they had to remain in Sheol/Hades (not Hell) until the resurrection of Christ.

On the day of His resurrection, when Christ first ascended to Heaven He took all these OT saints with Him to Heaven. Therefore "He led captivity captive". Those saints are presently in the New Jerusalem, and since the day of Pentecost God sees them as "the spirits of just men made perfect". He also sees them as "a great cloud of witnesses.
Are you saying Christ‘s soul never went to hell to preach to the spirits in prison?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Are you saying Christ‘s soul never went to hell to preach to the spirits in prison?
The spirits in prison were in Sheol/Hades, not in Hell (the Lake of Fire). Hell is presently unoccupied. The evil angels occupy the atmosphere while the demonic spirits occupy the bottomless pit. Satan is free to roam on the earth for a season.

There were three groups of spirits in the lower parts of the earth: (1) the righteous dead (Hades), (2) the unrighteous dead (Hades), and (3) the angels which kept not their first estate (Tartarus). All the spirits heard Christ proclaim His victory over sin, death, Satan, Hades, and Hell. "He went and preached to the spirits in prison" can be stated as "He went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison". Then "He led captivity captive".

The righteous dead needed to hear this and rejoice, since shortly they would all be taken to Heaven as a result of the finished work of Christ. Jesus said "Thou wilt not leave my soul in Sheol/Hades" because He knew -- without the shadow of a doubt -- that He would rise from the dead after three days and three nights. Jonah pre-figured Christ in this, so His resurrection was "the sign of the prophet Jonah".

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
I’m assuming he was saving the captives. The righteous who had died before him that were in Abraham’s bosom. Also I read a verse that says he may have gone to Hades to proclaim to the spirits that rejected his name in the days of Noah. Anyone have any insight on this?
If you believe that "the dead know nothing" and don't believe in spiritualism, the answer is easy.
Jesus was dead.
Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Mar 23, 2023
youtube.com

I recently taught on Tartarus which is in Greek Mythology too. Now Greek Mythology has it’s origin in the Stone Age and the word appears in the Greek New Testament.

It is my understanding that Abraham’s bosom and Tartarus both are in Sheol (Hebrew).

I also, wrote a post about the core of the Earth. The inner core is a solid mass and he second core is a liquid. In case you’re interested, the inner core moved freely being adjacent to the liquid second core. Gravity and te magnetic field causes the solid core to rotate, in 2009 the solid core quit spinning, scientists say it may have reversed course.

It’s just peculation, but the Second core may be the Lake of Fire.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
If you believe that "the dead know nothing" and don't believe in spiritualism, the answer is easy.
Jesus was dead.
Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Greetings, Dirtman.
[...] an exegesis; a breakdown verse-by-verse of the entire passage, defining how you interpret every word in every phrase. It's rarely something I get, however, so maybe I shouldn't even be asking, but in order to evaluate whether an interpretation holds water or not, the entire thing has to be analyzed in its context, and for us to do that, it would take you presenting yours and seeing if it holds up to critique in context. That's why I was asking for your exegesis of 1 Peter 3:17-22.
I am not seeing that any of this "expressly/precisely" places Jesus in Tartarus (the place of the wicked). And so, I remain
unconvinced that He ever did so.
@Vindicator and @Ted01 , regarding that passage...

...consider the following post at link, which I made some time back:

Post #90 (different thread) - https://christianchat.com/threads/looking-for-jesus.203611/post-4809390

The above is also for @Liverpool (the OP question) = )

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The spirits in prison were in Sheol/Hades, not in Hell (the Lake of Fire). Hell is presently unoccupied. The evil angels occupy the atmosphere while the demonic spirits occupy the bottomless pit. Satan is free to roam on the earth for a season.

There were three groups of spirits in the lower parts of the earth: (1) the righteous dead (Hades), (2) the unrighteous dead (Hades), and (3) the angels which kept not their first estate (Tartarus). All the spirits heard Christ proclaim His victory over sin, death, Satan, Hades, and Hell. "He went and preached to the spirits in prison" can be stated as "He went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison". Then "He led captivity captive".

The righteous dead needed to hear this and rejoice, since shortly they would all be taken to Heaven as a result of the finished work of Christ. Jesus said "Thou wilt not leave my soul in Sheol/Hades" because He knew -- without the shadow of a doubt -- that He would rise from the dead after three days and three nights. Jonah pre-figured Christ in this, so His resurrection was "the sign of the prophet Jonah".
Tell the rich man that hell is not occupied.

plus, man’s soul is at stake not the spirit. Fallen angels have no soul, just spirits.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
CV5, what I'm asking for is an exegesis; a breakdown verse-by-verse of the entire passage, defining how you interpret every word in every phrase. It's rarely something I get, however, so maybe I shouldn't even be asking, but in order to evaluate whether an interpretation holds water or not, the entire thing has to be analyzed in its context, and for us to do that, it would take you presenting yours and seeing if it holds up to critique in context. That's why I was asking for your exegesis of 1 Peter 3:17-22.
There is plenty of reason to assert that 1Pet 3:16 spirits are (evil) spirit (47x).
They are disobedient after all. Denying, discounting or ignoring the intentional connection to the "days of Noah" is poor exegesis to say the least. And as I said several times before, it is ludicrous to think that Jesus is proclaiming to human souls who died EXCLUSIVELY in the flood and not ALL souls up to His own time. Is Sheol compartmentalized into time eras as you think? Not a chance.

No, the connection to the days of Noah and the flood and the JUDGEMENT of the flood can only mean one specific group is being marked out: pre-flood fallen angels who God cast into the Tartarus prison in chains for future judgement.

1Pe 3:19
By which also he went and preached unto the spirits G4151 in prison;
1Pe 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when G3753 once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

G3753 - hote - Strong's Greek Lexicon (kjv) (blueletterbible.org)
Outline of Biblical Usage
  1. when whenever, while, as long as
G4151 - pneuma - Strong's Greek Lexicon (kjv) (blueletterbible.org)

Mat 8:16
When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits G4151 with his word, and healed all that were sick:

Mat 10:1
And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, G4151 to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

Mat 12:43
When the unclean spirit G4151 is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.

Mat 12:45
Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits G4151 more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.