Why Did D. M. Canright leave the SDAs?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
"How could Sunday worship have come from paganism,
when Sunday was never a pagan holiday?" — RALPH WOODROW

Source Link

D. M. Canright, a Seventh-Day Adventist minister.
Contacted the experts listed below to gather conclusive
evidence about pagan sun worship. He set out to prove
the SDA point on this once and for all.

Why Did D. M. Canright leave the Seventh-Day Adventists?

Here's an overview of the key findings and sources.
Questions were put to these experts in Bible times history.

- F. N. Pryce of the British Museum in London, England,
Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities

- R. Rathborn of the Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D.C.

- George F.Moore, Professor of Ancient Roman and Greek History,
at Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts.

- Professor W. H. Westerman of the
University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin.

- J. W. Moncrieff, Professor at the University of Chicago.

All these experts in ancient history
answered in chorus, "No."

The pagans did not gather on Sunday to worship the sun.
They did not gather on any day of the week to worship or
have a festival or day of rest. Worship gathering was annual for them.
Nor did they even follow a seven day week until after Christian times.
The significance of the week day names was astrological, not religious.
Their week was an eight day cycle based on their "weekly" market day.

Back in 1913-1914 the questions were put to these experts by
D. M. Canright, a Seventh-Day Adventist minister.
Who set out to prove the SDA point on this once and for all.
He left the SDA church as a result.

Source Link

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Saturday is not a pagan holiday either and it is the Sabbath while Sunday is not. Personally, I believe that any day of the week is an acceptable day to worship the Lord. There have been numerous threads on this topic and don't see how this thread is going to add or subtract from the forth commandment, and the only commandment that gave instruction to 'remember'.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Never heard of D. M. Canright and really don't care why he chose to leave SDA. Just another SDA bashing thread to go along with the others including the Catholic bashing ones. Nothing new here.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Saturday is not a pagan holiday either and it is the Sabbath while Sunday is not. Personally, I believe that any day of the week is an acceptable day to worship the Lord. There have been numerous threads on this topic nd don't see how this thread is going to add or subtract from the forth commandment, and the only commandment that gave instruction to 'remember'.
Aw..........COMEON.......what's ONE MORE Sabbath Is Thread? Shoot, it COULD turn into OSAS, or, or, even Law vs. Grace.........or I dunno a Wemmens hush up Thread!

Wait...........just a minute, no, no, wait.........

popcorn.png

ok, GO FOR IT!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Aw..........COMEON.......what's ONE MORE Sabbath Is Thread? Shoot, it COULD turn into OSAS, or, or, even Law vs. Grace.........or I dunno a Wemmens hush up Thread!

Wait...........just a minute, no, no, wait.........

View attachment 190415

ok, GO FOR IT!
What I am really looking forward to is another pagan Christmas thread 'cause those are my favorites. :)

Dec 12, 2013
He "wised up"........................Occam's razor......the simplest answer............HE wised up......!

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
You are talking about Dudley M. Canright?

I guess he became Dudley Do-Right in the end.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
I also have read some of Ralph Woodrow, I have found his information on false religions to be very reliable. Have his Mystery Babylon book on my shelf!

I see the children are up early this morning.........

rlm68

Jul 23, 2018
Just guessing here, but outside of sleeping, God is on my mind at least 20 to 30 minutes each awakening hour. It may be a minute here, 5 minutes there, and 10 minutes some place else, but any given hour that I am awake I am thinking upon our God. Therefore, I suggest that I have church daily between God and myself. A pagan who worships nature would be the same. And given the term pagan, we refer to thousands of years ago when lives were not hectic like they are today. So, those pagans probably were thinking about their gods and nature hours upon hours at any given time.

So, since I worship/think/meditate upon God some point within the hour every hour...are you going to accuse me of following pagan traditions? Eventually, we just got to get our heads out of our rectums and stop caring about what the pagans did. NONE of what I do with God makes me first think I am doing it like the pagans did. I DO NOT care what the pagans did!! I only care what I do with my time in God!!

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
There is a case to be made that in the NT they gathered on the first day of the week, WHICH would be after the Sabbath.
Which would make it Sunday as we call it today.

Me personally, im doubling down, I rest on Sabbath AND sunday. Hows that for ya? :D

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I would start one, but they would just accuse me of promoting "Works Christmas."

elephant2.jpg

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I would start one, but they would just accuse me of promoting "Works Christmas."

View attachment 190438
Hopefully, it's gonna be a hard candy Christmas for the both of us. As far as Christmas works it is my understanding that Santa Claus does most of the heavy lifting. I have been told that he actually makes a list, checks it twice, to find out who has been naughty or nice.

"it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..."

At least in Walmart and in the TV ads.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Never heard of D. M. Canright and really don't care why he chose to leave SDA. Just another SDA bashing thread to go along with the others including the Catholic bashing ones. Nothing new here.
Not the droids you were looking for? lol

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Saturday is not a pagan holiday either...
Are you sure?
Which Greek god is Saturday named after? (Saturn)
Not that there is any connection. (like Sabbatarians like to make about Sunday)

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
There have been numerous threads on this topic and don't see how this thread is going to add or subtract from the forth commandment, and the only commandment that gave instruction to 'remember'.
That's not the point og thos thread.
The point is that the claim that "Sunday" is a pagan day of worship is false.
That's all. Got it?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
That's not the point og thos thread.
The point is that the claim that "Sunday" is a pagan day of worship is false.
That's all. Got it?
Seriously, I really don't care either way whether or not people believe that Sunday is a pagan day of worship.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Are you sure?
Which Greek god is Saturday named after? (Saturn)
Not that there is any connection. (like Sabbatarians like to make about Sunday)
Each name of the days of the week come from some Greek god or another. Maybe we should just number the days of the week as it was practiced in biblical times, Sunday is now just the first day of the week....Saturday, the seventh. Oh yeah, I seem to 'remember' that God rested on this day, something to do with the Sabbath.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Seriously, I really don't care either way whether or not people believe that Sunday is a pagan day of worship.
I guess this is not the thread for you then.
Since you don't care, that means you won't be back, right?