Why Do Christians Ignore some of Jesus' Teachings?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
In your search engine type in "torahclass.com". Click on archived articles. On the upper left of that site it lets you search. Type in "feasts". It will send you to some very thorough and well thought out articles explaining the feasts. You can rely on the site to give only what is in scripture but explain it thoroughly.
Thank u very much. Ill check it out when I get home

Epiales

Jan 21, 2018
davidclark.hearnow.com
Let me ask you the same question. Do you believe this is telling us that we can and should reach for sinless perfection?

I think that scripture points to a state of mind that no longer is comfy in sin, because it no longer is who we are. I think it is this fact that brings sanctification and growth. We should definitely be, naturally, in Him, sinning less and less, finding new right standing norms.

I hope you are ok with me responding.
Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

This scripture in no way shape or form says that we can’t sin. It says that we don’t “live” in sin. Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

We ‘should not’ serve sin, thus we are still prone to, but not ‘live’ in it. Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Yeah, don’t let it reign in your bodies. Don’t live in it. Don’t love it. Doesn’t mean one can be perfect. Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

Rom 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Yup, that’s the point. Ownership changed and we have been made free from sin, but because on has been freed from sin, it doesn’t give them the right to ‘live’ in that sin either. This isn’t teaching that we can be sinless. Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Amen! We conform our minds to the mind of Christ (The Word), and I guarantee you will sin “less”. This again doesn’t support that one can stop sinning. Doesn’t mean one can be perfect. Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Again, it’s our responsibility to present our bodies as a living sacrifice. This is a daily sanctification in our lives that we do ourselves. This doesn’t mean one can be perfected in this life, but that one becomes more and more like Christ as our reasonable service. Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Amen to that! Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

2Co 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Amen to this perfecting ourselves in the fear of God. Perfecting ourselves is a daily and ongoing process. Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Yup, the only one that walked in the Spirit 100 percent of their lives was yours truly: YESHUA! This is a factual statement.. walk in the spirit and you won’t fulfill the lusts of your flesh. Good luck doing this 100 percent perfectly. Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Gal 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Very good advice! How many times we provoke one another just in this Christian chat forum; going back and forth with people in these topics? Show me one person ever walked in the spirit 100 percent of their lives other than Christ Himself? Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

Php 2:14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

Php 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

Don’t forget the scripture before, in which, how many disputes we have in this forum? Again, key is walking in the spirit as previously stated, and I’d love to see any human do this 100 percent of the time. One would have to love just as God loved, 100 percent of the time. Sorry, but we cannot do this. Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

1Th 4:3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

Well, although it’s Gods will to not sin or do wrong at all, this scriptures clearly distinguishes it to be fornication. Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

1Pe 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

1Pe 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Amen to this too! But once again: Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

Ultimately, we are called to be holy. We are called to stop sinning. We are called to present our live as a sacrifice unto our Lord and Savior. The teaching of sinless perfection though, will lead new believers away from the Gospel because they will never reach a point in their lives where they will be perfect and just give up. I’m strong enough and knowledgeable enough to understand that I know I cannot be perfect in this flesh. I know that no matter how hard I try, that this flesh will never be perfect enough to be sinless. Yes, I know this, but I have been in the Word for 30 years. In that 30 years, I have learned to not ‘live’ in any sin, but still doesn’t mean that I don’t sin.

If one wants to pick scriptures out of context to try and prove that we can be sinless and perfect, then here’s one for you.

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

If you sin, you’re of the devil. Don’t care if it’s one itty, bitty, teenie, weanie sin, then scripture says that you are of the devil. Let’s look at another:

1Jn 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

So, I guess nobody in this chat knows God at all. Really? Oh but you can STOP sinning… Oh, so only that one select person that has masterfully conquered their sinful flesh can judge the entire chat room and world and tell the rest of us we don’t know God at all and they do. Hmmm! I hear this a lot in these forums LOL.

How about this one.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

How many in here have sinned willfully even ONCE? Just one itty bitty white lie? Just one impure thought? Just ONE SINGLE SIN SINCE SALVATION? Guess we are all doomed to hell and heaven will be a very lonely, lonely place.

1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

AMEN! Some wanna say see? SEE HERE? This means that we can stop sinning and NEVER EVER SIN again. Yeah… does it say that? Don’t make it up, look it up. It doesn’t say that whatsoever. Thank you we all have an advocate or we would be in deep trouble.

If you can be sinless, then there would be no reason for Christ to be our advocate, let alone, die for our sins on that cross. This by no means that a child of the most Holy God should not strive to be as perfect and holy as Christ was. It is a life long process of having a relationship with God, reading His Word, and crucifying our flesh; conforming our minds to the mind of Christ, and to tell people they can be perfect will only push them away from a God that died for their imperfections.

And the most widely used words… “GO AND SIN NO MORE”… yeah.. to someone who was living in adultery and living in sin. STOP “LIVING” in sin. If I had to get to heaven by my own sinless perfect holy life, I would NEVER make it, and neither would ANYONE in this forum, let alone the entire world.

Sinless perfection is a teaching from hell and pulls many away from the God that died and paid for those sins.

1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Thus ‘sinless perfection’ not found here!

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
Amen

I think God told that man to sell all he had to prove to the man he still had priorities which did not meet with Gods (he claimed he was perfect. Yet he coveted goods, which was breaking the law)
If Gaius had received Jesus he would have been given the knowledge of the truth he sought, instead when Jesus rebuked the young ruler for referring unto him as the Good Master, saying unto the young Roman, "Why do you callest me good? There is none good but Caesar". And Jesus proceeded to say unto him, "Thou knowest the commandments...."

Of course a free born Roman would not have been taught the commandments of Moses anymore than an Israelite would have been taught the code of Ceasar. Yet the doctrine of man has always prohibited adultery, murder, stealing, dishonesty so that would be known to the sons of men, to which the rich man acknowledged in his reply to Jesus to the effect 'Master, all of these have I been taught since I was youth."

And Jesus beholding the man, loved him. If one misses what their Lord, Lord saw in him that invoked his love then they might consider what is written in Luke 7:9, "When Jesus heard these things, he marvelled at him, and turned him about, and said unto the people that followed him, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel." [See: Luke 6:46]

Yet I have the feeling that the "none good but Caesar" reference might be difficult for some to grasp since God is not a man, but then again that will keep them from reading Dueteronomy 6.

Jesus is not saying we must be perfect.
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Matt 5:48

Well, is he saying that we must be good? :rolleyes:

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
With the sacrifice of Jesus, there is no more need for sacrifices. Using what u have and giving to others is what I think he means with the property. And being ready to leave everything behind for him.
The sacrifice of Jesus may explain why we don't have to give all we have to charity. The Lord commanded His disciples to sell their properties when He was on earth (before the cross), i.e., when the law of Moses was still in force. In Acts 2:45 the disciples where still obeying the Lord's commandment because there was a long transition period (more then ten years, I think) between the dispensation of the law and the dispensation of grace.

My church has the same view as yours: Using what u have and giving to others is what I think he means with the property. But Jesus didn't say that -- rather, He said: Sell that ye have and give alms. The Lord would have said use what you have to serve others, if He really meant what most Bible teachers think He meant.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
If u go to the first page of the thread I posted a video of a messianic jew talking about it.
Nimrod was the head over Babylon and worshipped as a reincarnated sungod in the OT.
It was in his worshio where babies were put through the fire, which is why God talks against putting u4 sons through the fire
Thanks Demi, hugs

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
The sacrifice of Jesus may explain why we don't have to give all we have to charity. The Lord commanded His disciples to sell their properties when He was on earth (before the cross), i.e., when the law of Moses was still in force. In Acts 2:45 the disciples where still obeying the Lord's commandment because there was a long transition period (more then ten years, I think) between the dispensation of the law and the dispensation of grace.

My church has the same view as yours: Using what u have and giving to others is what I think he means with the property. But Jesus didn't say that -- rather, He said: Sell that ye have and give alms. The Lord would have said use what you have to serve others, if He really meant what most Bible teachers think He meant.
Simply put, Jesus said we must do many things we just can’t do to achieve sinless perfection before God. Then what happened?
Jesus up and died.
Now sinless perfection is not an issue. Why? Because we live in the new covenant of grace.
Yes, Jesus told people to sell all they have and he ment it. Jesus told people to pluck out their eyes and cut off their hands. He ment that also! None of us will truly sacrifice ourselves unselfishly for God. There will always be an excuse why we can’t or won’t do what God asks.
All those things were to show that we cannot live up to God’s standards on our on. We need the blood sacrifice of Christ that happened on the cross to make us exceptible in God’s sight.
That is the first half of the story anyway......

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
No, I haven't sold my property and don't intend to -- I don't keep the commandments as Jesus told us to do. Notice that Jesus never said keep the moral laws, He told us the keep the whole Law.

The easiest manner in ascertaining which laws are yet to be in force is simple, from Jesus when He was talking to the Pharisees on how they observed the law. He told them they ignored the importan points of the law, mercy, justice and faith,.

Since only Jesus Christ could have obeyed teh lion's portion of the law, we do not need to concern ourselves. Those deal with sinscrifice, kpriesthoos, offerings, the Temple etc. All we need be concerned with are the laws that comprise love…...always remember ing mercy, justice andd dfaith.

According to our Master, we are not to teach against the least of the laws. It is not teaching against the laws to mention in passing the ones no longer possible to follow because Jesus fuflilled them.

Here is how those remaing are not yet fulfilled, His Body, us, must continue living in the laws of love, though due to our "new man2 we need not study in dept for we should know them for they are inscribed on the tablets of our hearts not on stone.

Anyone who does not do this, does not have that renovation, simple as that.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The word there can be translated “Mature” or lacking nothing..

He is not going to tell people to be something they are unable to be.

May I ask why you are asking these questions?
So how many people on Christian Chat claim to be sinless, without fault or defect, flawless 100% of the time, exactly like God the Father? Are we actually perfect "in that sense?" NO. Sadly, I have run across a few individuals in the past who claim to be sinless 100% of the time and suffer from a terminal case of self righteousness. (1 John 1:8-10) :cautious:

Matthew 5:48 - Be Perfect - AT Robertson points out - Perfect (teleios). The word comes from telo, end, goal, limit. Here it is the goal set before us, the absolute standard of our Heavenly Father. The word is used also for relative perfection as of adults compared with children. So absolute perfection, sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, 100% of the time for us will not become a reality until we are present with the Lord, but that is the goal to strive for. Yet teleios is also used to refer to the maturity of an adult, which is the end or aim to which the child points. Thus it denotes those who have attained the full development of innate powers, in contrast to those who are still in the undeveloped state (children).

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The sacrifice of Jesus may explain why we don't have to give all we have to charity. The Lord commanded His disciples to sell their properties when He was on earth (before the cross), i.e., when the law of Moses was still in force.
No, He didn't. He commanded the rich young man to sell his property. That command wasn't given to all the disciples, and it wasn't given to all Christians, any more than "Take up your mat and walk" or "Go and wash in the pool of Siloam" or "Give her something to eat" were given to all the disciples.

After Jesus' death, Peter went fishing. He still had his boat.

Your position stems from an error of hermeneutics (biblical interpretation). Just because something is recorded in a narrative, doesn't mean that it is a command given to everyone.

Dec 6, 2018
Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?.......................

Let the truth be told, God cannot lie to us, He said he’ll make us perfect..

So just because one continuess to sin, and claims he/she is a Christian, doesn’t mean that claim is true..

A true Christian is one who believes the word of God, who abides in the word of God.

And the word of God boldly declared, Him that abideth in God sinneth Not.

Just because one with his/her carnal mind, cannot fulfill the will of God, does not mean such one should change the bible, and speak against the bible..

Let us not play on God, he cannot be mocked, Christ says, Be ye perfect, even as your father in Heaven is perfect..

This is possible, but not with man.. because the carnal mind can never please God, it tries to twist the doctrines and will of God, and bend it to its own will, to satisfy its fleshy desires.

Apostle Paul even said,
Those that are perfect, they should thus have this mind, that they haven’t attained the perfection God wants.. even though they are perfect.

Philippians 3:15 (KJV)
Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Now let this question be out in our hearts, let us answer ourselves, if truly we are led by the spirit of God, is sin mortified or still living in us..

When our hearts have been made pure, where is the sin coming from? Or do we go back to walk after the flesh or we walk after the spirit.

If one is walking after the spirit, are you saying it is the spirit of God that is making you to commit sin?

Now when the heart is made pure, where is sin coming from, as a child in christ, such one may still make mistakes, because of lack of knowledge. (Same reason we hunger and thirst for righteousness)

And in doing that, we have Jesus Christ an advocate with the father.

As little children your sins are forgiven.. 1 John 2:1

The Epistle of John spoke to :

Children,

Young Men,

Fathers.

(Do you think Christ does not know the meaning of these?)

Do you remain a Child? yes- then you are not producing fruits— you’ll be cut off.. Revelation and so many other scriptures points to this.

Do you remain a child? No- then you’ll bear more fruits, from faith to faith, ; for therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith..

As Fruitful Christians, we grow to become a perfect, a mature man in Christ Jesus. (Be fruitful)

If The Holy Spirit is not able to make us perfect just as Jesus was perfect by the same power, and spirit, then we deny the spirit of Jesus, and/or the spirit is not in us.

Therefore because it is one spirit, the same spirit, if We are led by the spirit, then we’ll be able to live without sin.

Denying this, is even denying Jesus Christ, because Jesus Christ came in the same flesh as us. Same flesh, born of a woman. And it was this spirit of God in him which made him the son of God and our Lord and Savior, the spirit made his blood acceptable for the sacrifice, God wanted.

Same Reason, Jesus Christ is born of the Holy Ghost. Matt 1:20

This same spirit makes us sons of God. Therefore God is able. With God All things are possible.

This is the doctrine of God, No man should think he can change the doctrine of God.

Any one who denies this teaching of our Lord, and says this is from hell, is directing working against Christ, directly saying Christ did not finish the work on the cross, such one is saying God Cannot make us perfect, like His son, our Brother, friend, Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

If one do not believe What God says how can such one call one’s self a believer???

God is the All-Wise one, we cannot understand him with our fleshy wisdom, except with his spirit(born of his spirit)— To Him be all glory and honor.

Dec 6, 2018
This same false doctrine is why some other false Christians proclaim indirectly that we do not need to do good works....

If the word of God is in one, such one will not do evil, such one cannot do anything against the truth, but for the truth, it is the spirit that worketh

2 Corinthians 13:5-8 (KJV)
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.
Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates. For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth.

Philippians 2:13 (KJV)
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Galatians 2:20 (KJV)
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

It is Christ who maketh the Good works to be manisfested and it’s by His power, not ours.

The love of God constraineth true believers.

The grace of God has been given any grace that allows you to sin, and say you’ll not die is of the devil, from hell.

👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿
Genesis 3:3-4 (KJV)
But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. And the serpent said unto the woman, YE SHALL NOT SURELY DIE:

Dec 6, 2018
When One is doing evil works, sinful works, it is simply a proof such one is not of God, not born of God, but of the world.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Luke 12:33
Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

This is only confusing if:
A. You ignore the specific words of the verse itself
B. You ignore the surrounding context of the entire passage.

If you don't pay attention to the exact words in a verse, and you don't pay attention to the context surrounding the verse, then just about any verse can be confusing.

Simply reading more carefully solves 90% of the problems in the Bible.

I don't know any pastors who are confused about this passage.

Apr 15, 2017
Jesus told His disciples to sell their properties and give alms; told them to wash (literally) one another's feet; to obey the scribes and Pharisees; perform sacrifices according to the Law; etc. Through His personal example Jesus taught us to keep the Sabbath and observe the festivals.

Jesus said: whoever breaks one of the least of the commandments and teaches people to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven.

The Lord (while He was on earth) also said that only a few will be saved and yet we all seem to ignore it. Why?
This is a big one that many people who claim to be with Christ do not obey, and it is an important one.

Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Mat 19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
Mat 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Mat 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

We become one with God when we are saved, and so do a man and a woman who is married, and they become one flesh, and is a very important deal to God that they stay married.

But there are many people that claim Christ that get a divorce and it was not for adultery, which also is strange that them claiming to be a Christian, and the Holy Spirit is there to help them, why they cannot work out their marriage, and act wrong, and sin.

There is no fighting in the Spirit, only according to the flesh in selfishness, and arrogance, so why are they like that to get a divorce, which if they stopped their selfishness, and arrogance, there is nothing to fight about.

Why are they like that claiming Christ in the most important, and closest relationship, they can have on earth after God and His saints.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Jesus told His disciples to sell their properties and give alms; told them to wash (literally) one another's feet; to obey the scribes and Pharisees; perform sacrifices according to the Law; etc. Through His personal example Jesus taught us to keep the Sabbath and observe the festivals.

Jesus said: whoever breaks one of the least of the commandments and teaches people to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven.

The Lord (while He was on earth) also said that only a few will be saved and yet we all seem to ignore it. Why?
For the same reason why so many Christians ignore Paul's writings which conclude ALL under sin and are at the mercy of God found only in Jesus Christ and Him crucified and risen for our salvation through the forgiveness found in His shed blood.

preacher4truth

Dec 28, 2016

Well you threw a lot of Scriptures together bro then made an assumption based on all of them coupled with the same conclusion that no one does them.

These should be looked at case by case by examining the texts for each, then in context.

Is it possible some or any of these teachings are figurative in nature? Is it possible Jesus is saying some of these things to make a point? What exactly was Jesus saying those he spoke to should do that the Pharisees did?

john832

May 31, 2013

Seems not many want to obey all 10 of the Commandments. The Sabbath is a problem because it requires submission and may actually cost something. How many are willing to sacrifice a job or money to keep it?

john832

May 31, 2013
10 Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Seems not many want to obey all 10 of the Commandments. The Sabbath is a problem because it requires submission and may actually cost something. How many are willing to sacrifice a job or money to keep it?
We keep the Sabbath through entering His rest and cease from our meritorious works. Remember, 'it is finished'?