Why would a Christian wear a Prayer Shawl?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
He gives us works to do but it’s entirely up to us if we choose to do them or not. That is the point.
Forgive my hoping for willing servants as opposed to the rebellious. I know the very few times in my walk I have been given to do specific works, the Holy Spirit directed me through the entire process, and it has been truly wonderful. It saddens me to think of individuals denying the will of our Father in such circumstances.

Mar 28, 2016
It would have to speak of Christ's righteous deeds as a labor of His love which is shown by the good works he works in us

I know this theology but the Bible doesn’t say that. It says the righteous deeds of the saints. Does not say they are Jesus’ righteous deeds.

Its what the bible teaches many verse surporot that conclusion .

Mankind will not be found with a glorious righteousness of their own in regard to corrupted flesh . That's for those who glory in dead things . . . image idol worship.

It says those who think they will be found with a righteousness of their own are self-deceivers edifying ones own self. .

One source of righteousness the "Righteous One" not seen. . . . as it is written

Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Not by a outward garment And as the better things that accompany salvation he promises us he will not forget the good works he works in us that we have offered the towards his name .

Bible verse please?
But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.
For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. Hebrews 6:8-10

Towards his name not ours. His righteousness not our own righteousness (filthy rags)

We walk by faith not after the things seen A Shaw could be used like a closet, a secrets place . But dark places or things seen themselves provide no understanding.
Like I said, if one can’t talk to God without it, there’s a problem.
Talk to which god? The one without the word of God? The legion?

Ceremonial Shawls (shadows) used as a closet do not bring us closer and neither do they cause a distance
Depends regarding the latter.

Latter what?

Mar 28, 2016
He gives us works to do but it’s entirely up to us if we choose to do them or not. That is the point.
How would you know you are not choosing your own fleshly will? Jesus did the will of the father and not of the flesh. .

Whose will was entirely up to to choose when the creature who lost its ability to walk said "You will not surely die".

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Jesus-Yeshua is foretold to be The Branch, in Hebrew that would be Nazar. Being from Nazareth He definitely fulfilled this by being called a Nazar.

As for wearing a prayer shawl, is this some oral tradition or are the people of Yeshua instructed to wear one___ It seems, again, to me it is announcing a holier-than-though self esteem.
You are speaking of wearing a shawl in church to announce something to others. I am speaking of listening when God explains about wearing one, I am speaking of its use. Usually, they are worn in private.

It is like using any tool. You would not speak so of a dishwasher, or expect it to magically clean your dishes! Or that the washer is for self esteem.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
One person opposed to wearing a shawl came up with "if you can't pray without one there is a problem!!! I wonder if they use this idea as an opposition to any tool, and heaven forbid if the tool was suggested by the Lord. Like if you can't wash a dish without a dishwasher there is a problem.

Mar 28, 2016
The scripture has said men do not need to cover their heads.

No further explanation or debate is needed.

Do what ever you want to do.

As for me and my house, we will follow the Lord and his word.
That's it.? All you got brother (same house) same foundation ?

Astronomy 101 Twinkle twinkle little star. LOL

It makes a great study. Some have turned into a Jewish fashion design for the times . As that what you think?

The scriptures says as a law they must not cover their head of hair . Why would you make that ceremonial law without effect? It does not say shave off the hair. Shaving hair off a metaphor used in parables for shame.

Its seems you are trying to make the signified understanding of the ceremonial shadow. . without effect.

Why literalize the signified understandings. I think its a beautiful picture or parable as a wedding invitation to the whole world the gospel hid.

Mar 28, 2016
One person opposed to wearing a shawl came up with "if you can't pray without one there is a problem!!! I wonder if they use this idea as an opposition to any tool, and heaven forbid if the tool was suggested by the Lord. Like if you can't wash a dish without a dishwasher there is a problem.
Or do not go in your closet, do not close your eyes, or do not move lips without making a sound.

Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken. 1 Samuel 1:13

Chester

May 23, 2016
I am OK if someone wants to wear a prayer shawl if that is helpful for them.

My question is has any discussion or thought been given here to Paul's clear instructions in I Cor. 11 that men should pray with their heads uncovered and women should pray with their heads covered. This is a New Testament instruction, not OT, given by Paul. Is this not much more important and critical than an OT passage about a prayer shawl?

Mar 28, 2016

My question is has any discussion or thought been given here to Paul's clear instructions in I Cor. 11 that men should pray with their heads uncovered and women should pray with their heads covered. This is a New Testament instruction, not OT, given by Paul. Is this not much more important and critical than an OT passage about a prayer shawl?
I would agree .In one sense the new tradition ,1 Corinthians 11 fulfills all of the mysteries of old testament ceremonial laws as a wedding invitation to all the nations .

It was then that Satan in Revelation 20 fell never to rise and deceive all the nations. In so much that the gospel was in respect to the corrupted flesh of mankind and not the true the unseen work of the Holy Spirit.

A law that all been made to no effect by many who turned it into a fashion statement for the time present. .

Relic

Apr 29, 2020
Because they wanted to.

May 24, 2020

I think that has to do with authority because of the angels but it could also be due to the length of men and women's hair. I know Nazarites did not cut their hair...

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Some find counting prayer beads a wonderful help. Others find facing Jerusalem a help. And others find facing statue or having candles and incense a great help. The question is whether in the end God recognizes the practice as something He approves of.
I used to have a plastic Jesus sitting on the dashboard of my car.

Mar 28, 2016
I think that has to do with authority because of the angels but it could also be due to the length of men and women's hair. I know Nazarites did not cut their hair...
Some make it about the length of hair and miss the purpose of the ceremonial law a wedding invitations to all the nations .
Her hair as a representative glory must be covered. His hair uncovered. One picture of the new creature neither male nor female neither Jew nor gentile .The chaste virgin bride the church.

May 24, 2020
Some make it about the length of hair and miss the purpose of the ceremonial law a wedding invitations to all the nations .
Her hair as a representative glory must be covered. His hair uncovered. One picture of the new creature neither male nor female neither Jew nor gentile .The chaste virgin bride the church.
1 corinthians 11
7 A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own head, because of the angels.

11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.

13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16 If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
My question is has any discussion or thought been given here to Paul's clear instructions in I Cor. 11 that men should pray with their heads uncovered and women should pray with their heads covered.
I already addressed this some time back and dropped out of this discussion. Orthodox Jews cover their heads when they pray, but Christian men are commanded to keep their heads uncovered. There is deep spiritual significance in this, just as women are commanded to keep their heads and hair covered.

Also, women are given long hair as a NATURAL covering, in order to teach them that when they worship there must also be a SPIRITUAL covering, through the head covering. And angels are watching what they do (or not do).

The prayer shawl was given to Israel, not to the Church, just as the Law o Moses was given to Israel, not to the Church.

May 24, 2020
I already addressed this some time back and dropped out of this discussion. Orthodox Jews cover their heads when they pray, but Christian men are commanded to keep their heads uncovered. There is deep spiritual significance in this, just as women are commanded to keep their heads and hair covered.

Also, women are given long hair as a NATURAL covering, in order to teach them that when they worship there must also be a SPIRITUAL covering, through the head covering. And angels are watching what they do (or not do).

The prayer shawl was given to Israel, not to the Church, just as the Law o Moses was given to Israel, not to the Church.
Then why did Paul mention it in the church at Corinth? 1 Corinthians 11:7-13

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Then why did Paul mention it in the church at Corinth? 1 Corinthians 11:7-13
There seems to be some misunderstanding. I was in fact referring to 1 Corinthians 11, and the teaching about men with uncovered heads and women with covered heads. That automatically precludes a prayer shawl for men.

May 24, 2020
Nehemiah
Sorry, I was referring to this quote in your post above...

Mar 28, 2016
1 corinthians 11
7 A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own head, because of the angels.

11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.

13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16 If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.
Interestingly hair and nails are used in ceremonial laws . Dead substances that seems to grow. They are used to represent the unseen glory of God like living water . Things considered as beauty. Like beautiful Wives. Gotta. . get my hairs and nail done up

Whenever a person from another nation joined the Israelite customs were applied. Their heads were shaved to represent the shame of sinners (no glory) Shaving the head to represent shame was used in other ceremonies also.

But in the book of Revelation Satan is shown in a parable coming shamelessly mocking God.

The coming of the evil one glorying in shame. . . in full battle gear. Faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, mocking the wedding invitation to the nation as sign to those who bring the messages of the gospel

It would seem the old tesetemmt Nazarene ceremony as a shadow became fulfilled. Now the woman and gentiles could participate. An adjustment in the law. No more vows after the flesh. But rather participate in the ceremony. . a wedding invitation to all the nations . Some sects do honor it in that way today.

And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions. And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months. Revelation 9: 7-10