Will Receiving Negative Feedback Discourage People from Posting and Participating in the Forums?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
Speaking of feedback, how do I bring up all available reactions?

T

toinena

You have the mouse marker over the like symbol without clicking it.

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
Morning sister! :)

* Do you find negative feedback on social media sites such to be harmful? How do you cope with it?

Depending who it’s from, and what type of negative feedback it is. I would categorise these into two groups. 1. Negative feedback in a “haterade” way or 2. Negative feedback in form of constructive criticism. Of course, I’d have to discern which is which and who it’s from, but usually with the Number 1 group - Ain’t no time for dat. Lol. Of course, this my view and others would differ.

* What would you do to channel the negative feedback into positive actions you can take in your life?

Pray. The person giving the negative feedback might be going through something on a deeper level, or there could be some misunderstanding or comms breakdown. If it was just generally negative, I’d most probably address it or leave it - depends what the HS says.

* Do you think the capacity to give and receive feedback to posters will discourage people from posting?

Everyone is different. Speaking for myself, I don’t mind. I embrace change - this was inevitable to happen to be honest, if noone saw this coming (change of interface, upgrades etc) then I’m sorry, but you’re living under a rock. Lol. Let’s take it from a Business POV, if you were the CEO of a massive company that dealt with Communications worldwide, and your company Comms centre were using the old switchboard to transfer calls, wouldn’t you want the best for them to get the job done more efficiently and resort to providing better advanced phone systems to help with the operation of your company? As times change, so does technology. So I can see why RoboOp had to make this change to keep up with how the other majority of chat sites are operating in. The hard part for some of us who aren’t so much tech savvy is navigating our way around the new interface, but it’s possible and workable.

Buuuuuuut lol, take away all of how we’re feeling about new change and think of the bigger picture here - why are we here? What are we commissioned to do as followers of Christ? There are a good few lot who still need this site to help them in their walks, and for some of us who are led to help them, that is one of our callings on here, right? That’s how I see it, fellowship in Christ to me is very important and I get some much out of it and I know others do too. That’s why I’m here, and if it’s only one person who just needs that help or guidance, then I’m going to be there for them.

Sorry for the long post lol Blessings sister, I always enjoy how you like to challenge our thinking:) x

Pilkington

Jan 13, 2015
I am big enough and old enough to cope with negative feedback. However I have seen people in the past ganged up and scared away. I personally feel it has the potential to lead to bullying. The dislikes and negative feedback have a huge impact on social media particularly on the young. I am also concerned that it may cause damage to a weaker brother or sister in Christ.

Aug 2, 2009
If someone gives me negative feedback it simply means they are WRONG :) :cool:(y):alien:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Will receiving negative feedback discourage people from posting and participating in the forums?

Hmm... Normally I would say "If they can't handle a little criticism they need to either grow up or get off the forums." There will always be critical people, cranky people and downright grumps in the world.

Unfortunately this forum currently seems to have a LOT of critical people, cranky people and downright grumps, more than any forum should have. It's hard to start a thread these days because I keep second-guessing myself "Well will people complain about this? What about that, they might object to that..." There is just so much crap on the forum these days that the criticism can pile up real fast.

This is a big problem for new people. They come in, read some threads, make a post or two and BAM! they get blasted by all the cynical people here. They don't know that this forum used to be different. They haven't been here and watched it change over the years. All they know is they posted an innocent comment or two on an allegedly christian forum and got their butts blasted by a lot of hyper-critical people.

So yeah, the question this thread poses is a viable one, and something we really need to think about. Considering the current forum constituency, perhaps somebody should mention to Robo that the availability of negative responses instead of just the "like" button could have a bad impact on the forum.

Treadstone

May 21, 2018
Wouldn't the world be a boring place if everyone was just happy go lucky all the time? Sure its great and we should strive to get to that point, but its also nice to appreciate the grumpy opinions sometimes... So negative criticism, I say bring it on :D

U

Ugly

Well the site is functioning under defaults. We may lose some things and gain others once Robo has a chance to adjust settings. So it's possible negative reactions may by last.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Wouldn't the world be a boring place if everyone was just happy go lucky all the time? Sure its great and we should strive to get to that point, but its also nice to appreciate the grumpy opinions sometimes... So negative criticism, I say bring it on :D
I agree that this is a completely viable point; unfortunately, and maybe it's just me, but I've been around a lot of people who are always dishing it out, but can never actually take it themselves.

If a person tells me everything they don't like about me or everything they think I'm doing wrong, I'm open to that--IF they are also willing to give me the same chance to honestly give them the same kind of critique, and take it just as well as they expect me to take their "constructive criticism."

I only know a small number of people who seem to be built that way, and this is why they are also the only ones whose criticism I truly take to heart.

Negative feedback always hurts--at least, it does for me--but I'm thankful that a lot of things in life have taught me to get up and keep going no matter despite the pain.

I guess it's kind of like the story about the farmer who had an old donkey that he tried to bury alive, but every time he threw a shovel full of dirt at the donkey, the donkey sidestepped it and allowed the dirt to pile up--until eventually, it had a big enough pile of dirt that it could walk right out of the pit that the farmer had originally thrown it into.

I do know, however, it's one of those things that's must easier said than done.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Morning sister! :)

* Do you find negative feedback on social media sites such to be harmful? How do you cope with it?

Depending who it’s from, and what type of negative feedback it is. I would categorise these into two groups. 1. Negative feedback in a “haterade” way or 2. Negative feedback in form of constructive criticism. Of course, I’d have to discern which is which and who it’s from, but usually with the Number 1 group - Ain’t no time for dat. Lol. Of course, this my view and others would differ.

* What would you do to channel the negative feedback into positive actions you can take in your life?

Pray. The person giving the negative feedback might be going through something on a deeper level, or there could be some misunderstanding or comms breakdown. If it was just generally negative, I’d most probably address it or leave it - depends what the HS says.

* Do you think the capacity to give and receive feedback to posters will discourage people from posting?

Everyone is different. Speaking for myself, I don’t mind. I embrace change - this was inevitable to happen to be honest, if noone saw this coming (change of interface, upgrades etc) then I’m sorry, but you’re living under a rock. Lol. Let’s take it from a Business POV, if you were the CEO of a massive company that dealt with Communications worldwide, and your company Comms centre were using the old switchboard to transfer calls, wouldn’t you want the best for them to get the job done more efficiently and resort to providing better advanced phone systems to help with the operation of your company? As times change, so does technology. So I can see why RoboOp had to make this change to keep up with how the other majority of chat sites are operating in. The hard part for some of us who aren’t so much tech savvy is navigating our way around the new interface, but it’s possible and workable.

Buuuuuuut lol, take away all of how we’re feeling about new change and think of the bigger picture here - why are we here? What are we commissioned to do as followers of Christ? There are a good few lot who still need this site to help them in their walks, and for some of us who are led to help them, that is one of our callings on here, right? That’s how I see it, fellowship in Christ to me is very important and I get some much out of it and I know others do too. That’s why I’m here, and if it’s only one person who just needs that help or guidance, then I’m going to be there for them.

Sorry for the long post lol Blessings sister, I always enjoy how you like to challenge our thinking:) x
You wrote an outstanding post on change, which by the very nature is inevitable. Why are we here? Exactly. Not for the way the site was or now is but as a part, and for some, an important part, in our spiritual walk with the Lord. Indeed, fellowship in Christ is what it is about. If there were still a rep system I would send a rep comment your way. This is the best post that I have seen in this new format. Perhaps the old saying is true - the more things change the more they remain the same.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Here and now I promise to only use the spellcheck reaction on posts that are written in textese. On the brighter side, we may have come closer to having that sympathy button people have wished for because they didn't want to like something horrible, but wanted to be encouraging.

As for a serious answer, maybe as a culture we need to learn that we don't always have to express our opinion or react to everything. If a negative reaction can have no constructive result shouldn't we relearn that it's best left unsaid.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
1527642266333.png

Thumbs up to all
WOW I've just been officially declared that I am seriously likeable
no one would dare give me negative feedback after this

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
As for a serious answer, maybe as a culture we need to learn that we don't always have to express our opinion or react to everything. If a negative reaction can have no constructive result shouldn't we relearn that it's best left unsaid.
Hmm, maybe you're right...

Nah... where's the fun in that?

L

LittleMermaid

When I first came to CC under another name in 2014...I was very sensitive. I like to thank CC for helping me grow out of it and making me feel more comfortable with myself. Sometimes people are mean...it happens. I encounter more and more of them at work now. I think CC helped me deal with that kind of feedback.

I just hope there aren't people who only give negative feedback constantly. That could be harassment like Pipp said.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
iF sOmEoNe TyPeS lIkE tHiS, I wIlL lOsE mY mArBleS.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
When I first came to CC under another name in 2014...I was very sensitive. I like to thank CC for helping me grow out of it and making me feel more comfortable with myself. Sometimes people are mean...it happens. I encounter more and more of them at work now. I think CC helped me deal with that kind of feedback.

I just hope there aren't people who only give negative feedback constantly. That could be harassment like Pipp said.
This is an awesome point, LM, and something I can relate to very well.

When I first came to CC, I was used to people criticizing me in real life, but not used to people criticizing me in writing at all. I found myself taking in the negative comments much more seriously because writing is my most prominent means of communication, and the most accurate reflection of who I am.

Over time, I learned not to take it so seriously, and when I can, channel it into something positive. Sometimes even helpful suggestions can be stated in an unkind way, which makes it pretty challenging. However, a good example would be that someone once said that when I start threads, my original posts mash all the points I'm trying to make together and are too hard to understand (and so the person stated that they don't bother reading anything I write.)

Hey, no problem, I know my style isn't for everyone. But this person's comment is why I now try to summarize every beginning post with 3 or 4 (hopefully) concise discussion questions, and hopefully, makes it easier for the people who might want to read my original posts.

Several years after I had been a regular member of CC, I had a job review at work in which one of my highest ratings was under the category of being able to receive constructive criticism, and I know part of that was directly related to my experiences here in the forums, for which I am grateful.

Treadstone

May 21, 2018
Anyone foolish enough to take what somebody on the internet says about them and take it to heart is worried too much about nothing. Just know that nobody on the internet really knows who you are deep down, don't let them influence you negatively .