Work Spouse

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

Kim82

What are your thoughts on work spouses?

Is having a work spouse harmless and fun?

And the issue of friends flirting with each other, is it harmless fun?

M

MegMarch

I’m not a huge fan of it whether the guy is single or married.

I have some male friends at work, the gym, and church but if they are married, I make sure to be respectful of their wives. I don’t think a joke like that is respectful. For my single guy friends, I wouldn’t joke around about that either. It can send the wrong signal. We can joke around about a multitude of other things that are actually harmless.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
1Pe 1:14-15
As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct.

1Ti 4:11-12
Command and teach these things. Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

Ro 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Php 4:8-9
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me--practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Jas 1:26-27
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Is a 'work spouse' just someone one flirts with at work? Do people who do this sort of thing only have one 'spouse' or do they tend to be work polygamists-- flirting with a lot of people?

Sounds bad either way.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
what do you mean, people who are married to their work? People who are couples that work together?
Or people who work together who arent married but joke they are?

At my work theres the caretaker and the gardener, and people joke they are married even though they kinda hate each other, because they work together and she bosses him around but he bosses her too.

When they go to the shops to buy something, the shopkeepers assume they are married cos they are always squabbling about stuff and always go together. The gardener doesnt disabuse the shopkeepers of this notion so she can get her own way lol. The shopkeeper will say and would your wife like anything and the caretaker will get angry and say shes not my wife!
and the gardener will say to the shopkeeper I am sorry about my husband he got up from the wrong side of the bed this morning.

haha (the caretaker is married and I think the gardener used to be married, wel, they both have children and grandchildren)

What do I think well, I do know that the gardener is thinking of divorcing him.

K

Kim82

The following excerpt explains what a work spouse is:
A work spouse is a co-worker of the opposite sex with whom you have a close platonic relationship. In many ways, these relationships can mirror a real marriage.
According to a 2007 survey from Vault.com, a career information Web site, 23 percent of workers reported that they had a work spouse.
Do you have a work spouse?
Here are seven clear signs you might have a work spouse:
1. You depend on a particular co-worker for office supplies, snacks and aspirin.
2. There are inside jokes that you and a specific co-worker share.
3. You can be bluntly honest with this person about his or her appearance, hygiene or hair (and vice versa). You're comfortable enough to point out that the other's hair is sticking up -- or that someone's fly is down.
4. When something eventful happens at work, this co-worker is the first person you seek out for a de-briefing.
5. At breakfast, lunch and coffee breaks, your closest co-worker knows what to order for you and how you like your coffee (and vice versa).
6. You and your co-worker can finish each other's sentences.
7. Someone in your office knows almost as much about your personal life as your best friend or real-life spouse does.
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/11/10/cb.seven.signs.work.spouse/index.html

Hazelelponi

Jul 8, 2019
USA
Is a 'work spouse' just someone one flirts with at work? Do people who do this sort of thing only have one 'spouse' or do they tend to be work polygamists-- flirting with a lot of people?

Sounds bad either way.
It's just a saying for people, usually of the opposite sex, that work together well...

Because work is 8 hours a day around people they become a part of your lives. But the term work wives or work husbands are just freinds who work together well.

My husband worked with more women than men, and one of the girls who was also in management called my husband her work husband... it didn't bother me because it wasn't a sexual type of relationship.

She cared equally about me also, she just didn't spend 40 hours a week with me so we weren't quite as close.

Is it Christian to call someone your work husband or wife? I would say not... but I don't think it's bothersome if others use the term because it's just intended to convey freindship...

Mezame83

Mar 18, 2019
My thoughts on the matter:

* I personally don't like the term 'work spouse', i wouldn't call someone that nor would i feel comfortable anyone calling me that. To me it implies a closeness where things other then work related topics are shared, that could ultimately interfere with ones home life if the work mates get too close or end in disaster should conflict arise between the work mates.

* It's normal to have friends at work but keep it at friendship level if either are married. Even if you're single conducting yourself in a way that's suitable to the work place.

* Given the amount of time people spend at work is natural to assume friendships would be formed. It's the closeness of these friendships that one should be aware of, especially if either or both is married.

* Imo people should conduct their self in a professional manner when at work.

* I think young people may flirt with each other it's part of being young, doesn't necessarily make it right whilst at work but it's how young people are but an adult should know how to conduct their self appropriately at work and always remember any little thing could be used against them if interpreted the wrong way.

* Ultimately i think it comes down to the intent of the heart. People know when they're getting too close or even are crossing the line.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
A work spouse is a co-worker of the opposite sex with whom you have a close platonic relationship. In many ways, these relationships can mirror a real marriage.
According to a 2007 survey from Vault.com, a career information Web site, 23 percent of workers reported that they had a work spouse.
1. You depend on a particular co-worker for office supplies, snacks and aspirin.
3. You can be bluntly honest with this person about his or her appearance, hygiene or hair (and vice versa). You're comfortable enough to point out that the other's hair is sticking up -- or that someone's fly is down.
4. When something eventful happens at work, this co-worker is the first person you seek out for a de-briefing.
5. At breakfast, lunch and coffee breaks, your closest co-worker knows what to order for you and how you like your coffee (and vice versa).
7. Someone in your office knows almost as much about your personal life as your best friend or real-life spouse does.
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/11/10/cb.seven.signs.work.spouse/index.html
This about sums it up.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
What are your thoughts on work spouses?

Is having a work spouse harmless and fun?

And the issue of friends flirting with each other, is it harmless fun?
Work spouses = apples in the Garden of Eden.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Just sounds like your typical boss - secretary or personal assistant dynamic.
Not everyone works in an office though. I find that magazine articles always assume people work in offices when actually more people work in factories, marketplaces, outside, schools, hospitals, from home etc.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I'm not sure about the term "work spouse". It seems to me that it implies an intimate relationship. There has to be a better term.

K

Kim82

I think perhaps the word spouse should not be used. As it might make the actual spouse jealous.

I don't have a close male friend, but it seems that members of the opposite sex are able to become quite close, and still avoid crossing the line. But more often than not it seems that they do, while pretending that oh we are just great friends.

You can't accuse people wrongfully though, so if work spouses say they are just friends then so be it.

But there is a limit to what friends of the opposite sex can do I think. Two female friends can share a bed, but can a man and his female friend do the same and say, oh its no big deal, we are not attracted to each other?

By the way, I watched a video with a gospel singer name Deitrick Haddon and his wife, in which he said, as long as you can control yourself, its perfectly fine to live with your fiancé before marriage for economical reasons.

OK, hands up, who can control their self in such a situation?

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
I think perhaps the word spouse should not be used. As it might make the actual spouse jealous.

I don't have a close male friend, but it seems that members of the opposite sex are able to become quite close, and still avoid crossing the line. But more often than not it seems that they do, while pretending that oh we are just great friends.

You can't accuse people wrongfully though, so if work spouses say they are just friends then so be it.

But there is a limit to what friends of the opposite sex can do I think. Two female friends can share a bed, but can a man and his female friend do the same and say, oh its no big deal, we are not attracted to each other?

By the way, I watched a video with a gospel singer name Deitrick Haddon and his wife, in which he said, as long as you can control yourself, its perfectly fine to live with your fiancé before marriage for economical reasons.

OK, hands up, who can control their self in such a situation?
Ephesians 5:3 (NIV)
But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.

JenL1976

Mar 20, 2019
Totally agree. The term work spouse definitely implies an intimacy that should be reserved for marriage.

L

LittleMermaid

If I ever marry, my man will only have ONE spouse!

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
Well whatever it's called, I don't have one. And I don't want one.

Granted, I have a few female coworkers with whom I get along very well. However, there are certain lines which should not be crossed. If I feel myself getting close to one of them, I will do what I have to do to nip it in the bud. (y)

And I'm not even married...........

T

TheIndianGirl

I don't have one. I think as long as having a work spouse does not involve romantic feelings, it should be fine.