Would you feel comfortable owning stolen property?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Why do I sense that you have a sermon to preach?

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I think you need to provide more information.

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
I would probably feel comfortable owning stolen property if I did not know it was stolen, but if I knew it was stolen or if I had reason to believe it was stolen, then yeah, it would bother me. The degree to which it would bother me would be directly proportional to the value of the property--a stolen pen, I'd probably get over, but a stolen car or something? I would want to check with the authorities to be sure it was not stolen before I could enjoy ownership of it.

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
I would probably feel comfortable owning stolen property if I did not know it was stolen, but if I knew it was stolen or if I had reason to believe it was stolen, then yeah, it would bother me. The degree to which it would bother me would be directly proportional to the value of the property--a stolen pen, I'd probably get over, but a stolen car or something? I would want to check with the authorities to be sure it was not stolen before I could enjoy ownership of it.
How about living in anothers home while the past owners helplessly can only look on without a home of their own?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Well the question is simple. I am looking for a honest answer to this question.
My honest answer is no. For one thing, it is not possible to own something that does not belong to you and is stolen. I would neither be comfortable to be in possession of stolen property nor would I actually do it.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
How about living in anothers home while the past owners helplessly can only look on without a home of their own?
That is sort of like driving a car that was previously repossessed. That's life I guess. I would not consider the example you provided as stolen property.

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
Your questions are becoming more leading now, but to the extent that the home was actually STOLEN from the past owners, no, I would not feel comfortable living in it.

Now, if you're just talking about the home being "stolen" in the sense that it was legally repossessed from deadbeat owners who couldn't or wouldn't make their house payment, then I would be ok with that--but I wouldn't consider that the home was really "stolen" in that case.

You could stretch that idea to say that all of us who are not Native Americans are living on "stolen" property, but to the extent that the property has been obtained legally (no matter how fairly you think the law was written or enforced), then no, we're not living on stolen land. Most Native American tribes didn't have a concept of "owning" land anyway, so it couldn't have been stolen from their possession.

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
This thread could get very interesting, y'all................

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
My honest answer is no. For one thing, it is not possible to own something that does not belong to you and is stolen. I would neither be comfortable to be in possession of stolen property nor would I actually do it.
Thats actually a good answer. But what would you do if you were informed that where you live now was unjustly taken from another and these people would like to have their home back but cant have it?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Thats actually a good answer. But what would you do if you were informed that where you live now was unjustly taken from another and these people would like to have their home back but cant have it?
I would probably feel bad about it but as long as I wasn't culpable in why the home was lost I would have to put it out of my mind or otherwise I may end up homeless myself along with my wife. Sadly there is a lot of un-justice in the world that results in pain and suffering. The bible says that there will always be the poor but does not relieve us the responsibility to play our part in making this a better world to live in.

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
Your questions are becoming more leading now, but to the extent that the home was actually STOLEN from the past owners, no, I would not feel comfortable living in it.

Now, if you're just talking about the home being "stolen" in the sense that it was legally repossessed from deadbeat owners who couldn't or wouldn't make their house payment, then I would be ok with that--but I wouldn't consider that the home was really "stolen" in that case.

You could stretch that idea to say that all of us who are not Native Americans are living on "stolen" property, but to the extent that the property has been obtained legally (no matter how fairly you think the law was written or enforced), then no, we're not living on stolen land. Most Native American tribes didn't have a concept of "owning" land anyway, so it couldn't have been stolen from their possession.
Thats actually a good point. They didnt feel that they owned this land. And were confused as to why we felt the need to take it from them at the cost of genocide and all that they loved.
Good point you made.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Well the question is simple. I am looking for a honest answer to this question.
Your question-while simple-wasn't clear. The elf guy is much clearer on his point, and I still don't know exactly what you were seeking by your unclear question.

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
Sounds more like a foreclosure.
I would probably feel bad about it but as long as I wasn't culpable in why the home was lost I would have to put it out of my mind or otherwise I may end up homeless myself along with my wife. Sadly there is a lot of un-justice in the world that results in pain and suffering. The bible says that there will always be the poor but does not relieve us the responsibility to play our part in making this a better world to live in.
Sadly i think this is the final answer. Thist post was in regards to how one might feel if not only their home but also their famlies and all else they valued. This is in regards to the american indian. Normally people get defensive about this, some dont know, some dont care. I believe you narrowed in on the answer very fast. And yes its just to bad and life just goes on.
God bless and thank you.

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
Your question-while simple-wasn't clear. The elf guy is much clearer on his point, and I still don't know exactly what you were seeking by your unclear question.
The question concerns past and present events relating to American Indians.