Advice for a new divorcée

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 10, 2020
I was married for 24 years and now I find myself single because my husband cheated on me. Any advice?

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I was married for 24 years and now I find myself single because my husband cheated on me. Any advice?
I'm sure those who've been through divorces will have some more insightful advice, but I'll pass on the advice that I found most useful during burnout...

Don't do anything stupid
Don't do anything stupid
Don't do anything stupid

it kind of became my mantra and measuring stick for a season and helped me avoid the worst kinds of stupid (though maybe not the daydream of running off and disappearing into the woods where I wouldn't have to deal with people anymore, but at least I didn't do that in practice and then find I forgot to consider a few minor details like food, water, and shelter)

Along with that advice is probably the caveat of give yourself as much time as you can to make any further major life decisions / changes.

Welcome to the singles forum by the way.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
The best advice would be don't make any major life changing decisions for at least a year. All too many people try to "move on" too quickly and end up making really bad decisions as a result.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I am terribly sorry for your pain. I pray the Lord will give you comfort in the knowledge that you are His daughter.
Take some time and connect mire with your Father ABBA. Be blessed sister.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The worse thing that a man could do would be destroying the marital trust by cheating on his wife. I am sorry about the terrible thing he did to you but please know that you're not alone in this as there are a few others in the same situation.

The best that you can do is to let go and let God and ask for His help in moving forward with your life.

Glad to have you as part of our family. Welcome to CC.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Welcome, you are loved and accepted in the Beloved......

For thy Maker is thine husband; the Lord of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. For the Lord hath called thee as a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, and a wife of youth, when thou wast refused, saith thy God. For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee. In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer.
Isaiah 54:5-8 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Isaiah 54:5-8&version=KJV

Apr 10, 2020
Thank you all so much. It has been hard and I am really lonely. Just not having someone to talk too and someone to love. I am heart broken and lonely which is not a good combination but relying on God!!

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
We weep with you over this heartbreaking loss. May the love of the God of all comfort strengthen you through the healing process.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Avoid all new relationships for at least a few years. It's easy to convince yourself you're ready for something new, when really you're just tired of being alone. Not only do you risk being hurt, but risk hurting someone you may grow to care about.
Therefore focus on recovery, not on being lonely. If you have friends or family you can spend extra time around, then do so. Dwelling on "what you're missing" (which is often romanticized and idealized and not realistic) will only make things more difficult.
But you still want to give yourself time to grieve and cope and to face things. And to let yourself feel emotions. Just not be overcome by them.
Don't rush. It'll happen and you'll feel better. Don't force it, grow into it naturally.

Apr 10, 2020
Avoid all new relationships for at least a few years. It's easy to convince yourself you're ready for something new, when really you're just tired of being alone. Not only do you risk being hurt, but risk hurting someone you may grow to care about.
Therefore focus on recovery, not on being lonely. If you have friends or family you can spend extra time around, then do so. Dwelling on "what you're missing" (which is often romanticized and idealized and not realistic) will only make things more difficult.
But you still want to give yourself time to grieve and cope and to face things. And to let yourself feel emotions. Just not be overcome by them.
Don't rush. It'll happen and you'll feel better. Don't force it, grow into it naturally.
Thank you!!!

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
Did your ex refuse to change his behavior and work things out with you? Is he unrepentant? Did he try to justify or excuse his actions?

I ask these questions because divorce is not something to be taken lightly.

$0.02

Apr 10, 2020
Did your ex refuse to change his behavior and work things out with you? Is he unrepentant? Did he try to justify or excuse his actions?

I ask these questions because divorce is not something to be taken lightly.

$0.02
No. It’s definitely not something to take lightly. This is the second time he has cheated and I would have been willing to try to work it out but he didn’t want to. I didn’t want the divorce. 😔

KhedetOrthos

Dec 13, 2019
The way I approached things after my wife left was to take stock of my own life to see if there was anything that needed to change for me to be better. Can't really ever control what someone else is going to do. I actually made an appointment with the counselor we had been seeing (required for the divorce, she had no interest in making things work) by myself after the divorce to see if I could get a third party input on what I needed to change.

I think the "avoid all new relationships for ___ period of time" is too rigid. Just be aware of what characteristics of the other person may have contributed to this and avoid them.

Apr 10, 2020
The way I approached things after my wife left was to take stock of my own life to see if there was anything that needed to change for me to be better. Can't really ever control what someone else is going to do. I actually made an appointment with the counselor we had been seeing (required for the divorce, she had no interest in making things work) by myself after the divorce to see if I could get a third party input on what I needed to change.

I think the "avoid all new relationships for ___ period of time" is too rigid. Just be aware of what characteristics of the other person may have contributed to this and avoid them.
Thank you for that. I have thought about doing that to understand what I did wrong and how I can fix it. There is two sides to everything. I would like to take responsibility for my side and work on it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
ask others to pray for you during this time.
really sad to hear that. Do you have children? It will be really hard on them.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Some really good advice already, especially from Subhumanoidal, cinder and Oncefallen.

All I can add is, don't try to find a replacement just for the sake of finding a replacement to fill the hole that was left in your life. If you go out looking for a guy just for the sake of not being alone you will find one, and you'll be miserable ever after. I've seen it happen a LOT, and not one single time have I seen it end well.

Hmm... all the best advice in this thread seems to be saying the same basic thing, "Take it sllloooooooowwwww!"

Sep 13, 2018
Some really good advice already, especially from Subhumanoidal, cinder and Oncefallen.

All I can add is, don't try to find a replacement just for the sake of finding a replacement to fill the hole that was left in your life. If you go out looking for a guy just for the sake of not being alone you will find one, and you'll be miserable ever after. I've seen it happen a LOT, and not one single time have I seen it end well.

Hmm... all the best advice in this thread seems to be saying the same basic thing, "Take it sllloooooooowwwww!"
I roll the opposite, I like to play the odds. Gives me something to do and not be lonely. I was that way for many years raising my daughter and I literally forgot how to interact with women. After having a partner for thirty years and being alone for 6, all things being equal, I would rather not be alone in this life.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
Do not leave him, because he cheated on you work things out with him. If you provide for all his needs, he will not cheat on you again. Try marriage counselling or therapy, if you havent, exhaust all the options before you divorce.