Calvinist Kitchen...stirring the pot

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Sorry, but that isn't biblical brother.

Where does the Bible say all we have to do is accept this precious gift? That's a severely truncated message and isn't found true in light of 2 Timothy 2:15.

Secondly all must come by repentance and faith, not just as they are.

Both repentance and faith are gifts of God, yet man under the former natural state are under wrath, including those elect who were made alive; Ephesians 2:3. Natural man in his fallen state is incapable of pleasing God; Romans 8:5-8 &c.

The "come just as you are" teaching is errant when you examine it in Scripture. It is popular preaching, but isn't biblically based.

Jonathan Merritt is a person of late who calls himself a gospel preacher and he encourages persons to come and join in at the LORD's table, unrepentant and just as they are. The Gospel is contrary to that, it is a call to repent and believe.
Revelation
3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

I know that you would like to make things sound complicated, but they are not.

L

lenna

I see things are boiling over in the Calvinist kitchen pot :unsure: :whistle:

The ingredients do not seem to get along

At all

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Thank you. It is good to see that after acknowledgement of some biblical truths shared you appear to be more calm, at peace, rational, loving, gracious, kind, steadfast.

Do not allow any person to sway you from that stance sister. Remember the hard truth of Romans 16:17, obedience of this keeps you in the refuge of the LORD of which some may desire to lead you away from.
I agree...
@jackrosie is more peaceful , and really rejoicing in our Lord , her passion for Him shines out so bright
...xox...

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
One of the many things that I don't get about Calvinism. They use Ephesians. 2: 8-9. To try to make their point, that God only gives faith to some and not others. So it is God doing the gifting of faith, and no one can boast.

I see that differently. If God chose to give me faith and then for some reason He chose not give someone else a chance or faith then it looks like I would have something to boast about. It would mean he saw something in me that he wanted and chose me because I was somehow special or better than the person he chose not to give faith too.

God's grace is the gift through faith. So I cannot boast. I am not more worthy or special than anyone else so I cannot boast.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Revelation
3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

He was talking to the church that bore His name , but no believer was found in it...
...xox...

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Yes I know He is , but you did not answer my questions about God calling us...
...xox...
Many are called, but few are chosen.

Matthew
22:1 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,
22:2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,
22:3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.
22:4 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and [my] fatlings [are] killed, and all things [are] ready: come unto the marriage.
22:5 But they made light of [it], and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
22:6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated [them] spitefully, and slew [them].
22:7 But when the king heard [thereof], he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
22:8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
22:9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
22:10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
22:11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
22:12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast [him] into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
22:14 For many are called, but few [are] chosen.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
One of the many things that I don't get about Calvinism. They use Ephesians. 2: 8-9. To try to make their point, that God only gives faith to some and not others. So it is God doing the gifting of faith, and no one can boast.

I see that differently. If God chose to give me faith and then for some reason He chose not give someone else a chance or faith then it looks like I would have something to boast about. It would mean he saw something in me that he wanted and chose me because I was somehow special or better than the person he chose not to give faith too.

God's grace is the gift through faith. So I cannot boast. I am not more worthy or special than anyone else so I cannot boast.
Romans 9:18
So then, he has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

Maybe sometimes we look through our human eyes , for God`s ways are not our ways says the LORD...
...xox...

Dec 28, 2016
Revelation

Biblical, not complicated.

You've taken yet another passage out of context. Revelation 3:20 is written to the church, not the lost nor the world at large. It is not a universal invitation to eternal salvation. Your misusage of the text is another failure to heed 2 Timothy 2:15.

A while back you made claims about irresistible grace, then concluded some false assumptions. I asked for clarity, so can you now tell me what you think it teaches?

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Many are called, but few are chosen.

Matthew
22:1 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,
22:2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,
22:3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.
22:4 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and [my] fatlings [are] killed, and all things [are] ready: come unto the marriage.
22:5 But they made light of [it], and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
22:6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated [them] spitefully, and slew [them].
22:7 But when the king heard [thereof], he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
22:8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
22:9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
22:10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
22:11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
22:12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast [him] into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
22:14 For many are called, but few [are] chosen.
We are called to go out into the world and preach the gospel , ( many ) but only those with faith from God will hear...
...xox...

E

EleventhHour

I see things are boiling over in the Calvinist kitchen pot :unsure::whistle:

The ingredients do not seem to get along

At all
Baking soda and vinegar... one of the more common chemical reactions.:D

J'en ai fini avec ce sujet;)

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
So then, he has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

Maybe sometimes we look through our human eyes , for God`s ways are not our ways says the LORD...
...xox...
I am looking into this, but as far as I can see throughout scripture...those he chose to harden such as Pharaoh, all had choices in the matter. He gave them opportunity but they all chose to go against him. They chose not to retain God in their knowledge and became reprobates. Romans 1:28 shows that even the reprobates had a choice.

L

lenna

We are called to go out into the world and preach the gospel , ( many ) but only those with faith from God will hear...
...xox...

I'm not arguing for or against Calvinism but I take exception with your post here

It isn't true

Not everyone is called to go out and be a missionary or go out into the world. In fact, Paul states most should be content with where they are and live for Christ in that situation, even slaves. Making such a huge sweeping and judgmental statement as you have, stating that only those with faith FROM God will hear, indicates what some might believe to be a person thinking they have some kind of superior faith.

If you believe faith is from God in the first place, as I think you have indicated? then wouldn't it be God's fault if a person does not respond?

Think about it.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Haha I stated the same thing, did not see your response.. :D

Absolutely agree!
Baking soda & vinegar is a great combination for cleaning glass and removing the stubborn stains , you lift the glass up to the light and you can see straight through it...
...xox...

May 19, 2020
Thank you. It is good to see that after acknowledgement of some biblical truths shared you appear to be more calm, at peace, rational, loving, gracious, kind, steadfast.

Do not allow any person to sway you from that stance sister. Remember the hard truth of Romans 16:17, obedience of this keeps you in the refuge of the LORD of which some may desire to lead you away from.

Amen bro!.....God has shown me...you know what I mean...God gave me that peace/maturity,no one can take if from me....
You are such a kind loving brother,xx...also a very knowledgeable one.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
I'm not arguing for or against Calvinism but I take exception with your post here

It isn't true

Not everyone is called to go out and be a missionary or go out into the world. In fact, Paul states most should be content with where they are and live for Christ in that situation, even slaves. Making such a huge sweeping and judgmental statement as you have, stating that only those with faith FROM God will hear, indicates what some might believe to be a person thinking they have some kind of superior faith.

If you believe faith is from God in the first place, as I think you have indicated? then wouldn't it be God's fault if a person does not respond?

Think about it.
I agree...Not everyone is called to go OUT to the end of the world and preach , yet we are told to be the salt of the earth...
I am a witness to my unsaved children , by my behaviour and how the Holy Spirit has me to walk , and I am sorry if you took my post that I was being judgemental , that was not my intention...

As I said in another post , God has mercy on whom He chooses , and hardens whom He chooses...

We do not know who is called , hence why we should plant our seeds...
...xox...

oyster67

May 24, 2014

...xox...
John
12:37 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:
12:38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?
12:39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
12:40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with [their] eyes, nor understand with [their] heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
12:41 These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him.

We see that disbelief came first. It preceeded they eyes being blinded and their hearts being hardened.

Status
Not open for further replies.