Did Jesus ever tell us that we no longer need to keep the law of Moses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law....but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him: “The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind: ‘You are a priest forever.’” Hebrews 7:12,21
Yes, you're right! The Levitical priesthood was imperfect and temporary, while Christ's priesthood is perfect and eternal. There was a change of priesthood and there was a change in the law. We are under a new law!

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
If Christ has an everlasting priesthood then His law is irrevocable and cannot be nullified. Carrying each other's burden is another way of saying " LOVE your neighbour as yourself." It is what the body of Christ upholds and manifests. It is the commandment and the message heard from the beginning and is irrevocable and forever just as Christ's priesthood is forever.
Yes, Christ's commandments are eternal.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. 1 Corinthians 12:14-26
What does this have to do with the topic? We are discussing whether or not Christians should keep the law of Moses.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another. 1 John 3:11

If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. James 2:8
Let's do that!

DeighAnn

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Jun 11, 2019
Though I am not "bound or under" the law of Moses, it's IMPORTANCE in for the WISDOM and KNOWLEDGE OF GOD can not be clearly stated. Just as it "LED" GODS' first chosen people to HIM, it SHOULD STILL be used today to lead people to Jesus. When studying the New Testament, GODS DETAILS are to be found in the OLD.

No one can understand the full scope of "GRACE" we receive EVERYDAY, until a deep study is made "of how it came to be and why". No one can understand "the end" , without clear understanding of the beginning. How can the THANKS that is truly deserving be given?

Jeremiah 31:29 In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge.
Jeremiah 31:30 But every one shall die for his own iniquity every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.

Jeremiah 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah

Jeremiah 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD

Jeremiah 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel, After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

There is more "end time prophecy" in the OT than there is in the NT. Once again, with out ALL of GODs wisdom and knowledge "we" try to fill in the gaps ourselves. We need the details of all of Gods Word if we are to become "Priests" along with Christ. It is not about finding the shortest way out of the Word, but in the prayerfully walking the longest way in. No man can explain the rewards God gives you in the here in now when you do just that.

Hebrews 5:8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered
Hebrews 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him
Hebrews 5:10 Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.
Hebrews 5:11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.
Hebrews 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
Hebrews 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness for he is a babe.
Hebrews 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Hebrews 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
Hebrews 6:3 And this will we do, if God permit.

1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby

1 Peter 2:3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

1 Peter 2:4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,

1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

1 Peter 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

1 Peter 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient whereunto also they were appointed.

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light

1 Peter 2:10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

But are now the people of God. Not the "Jew or Gentile" but the people of God. To be more than that, say "like a Priest", you must go after ALL of Gods wisdom and knowledge, "bound by it" or not.

I think that is one difference is between those who say "I am not under" and "I keep or follow". Those who keep them hold them near and dear because "they are the words of God" and the thought of even a jot or tittle being removed or considered of any "less" importance is unacceptable.

MissuSG

watcher2013

Aug 6, 2013
What does this have to do with the topic? We are discussing whether or not Christians should keep the law of Moses.
Act 15:24-29 KJV 24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment: 25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; 29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
If we have the Spirit we don't need to follow a list of ordinances.
Until you are ready to move "past" saved. Only then, do you start to see the "need" to search out the wisdom and knowledge of God contained in them.

Sometimes I would go days thinking, I am missing something here, but I would press on in faith believing that what I was missing God would give. Sure enough, when least expected (because I had moved on to other studies) all those things I had "left" or could not find a place for, came together with that last bit of knowledge I had found, and giving much thanks, couldn't understand how I had missed it, it all being so simple. That is how I know when I have been given a truth of God. It becomes super simple. Nothing conflicts. Everywhere you search after that, only confirms it. Can we praise the LORD enough?

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Act 15:24-29 KJV 24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment: 25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; 29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
This does have to do with the topic!

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Until you are ready to move "past" saved. Only then, do you start to see the "need" to search out the wisdom and knowledge of God contained in them.

Sometimes I would go days thinking, I am missing something here, but I would press on in faith believing that what I was missing God would give. Sure enough, when least expected (because I had moved on to other studies) all those things I had "left" or could not find a place for, came together with that last bit of knowledge I had found, and giving much thanks, couldn't understand how I had missed it, it all being so simple. That is how I know when I have been given a truth of God. It becomes super simple. Nothing conflicts. Everywhere you search after that, only confirms it. Can we praise the LORD enough?
Yes, God reveals His truth to His little children, not to the wise.

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
So we do agree that the law of Moses is for all Israel. If it was given to them then it is a gift for them and is therefore irrevocable.

I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in. And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: “The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob. And this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins.” As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. Romans 11:25-29 (Romans 9:4-5)

Whatever laws Israel received from God is irrevocable and cannot be nullified. ( Mark 7:6-13, Isaiah 5:20-24, Romans 3:31) God would not write His law on/in their hearts if it has been revoked and nullified. And what did the bible/scriptures say about this in the NT?
The Abrahamic Covenant, yes but
Where does it say the law of Moses is irrevocable? You make the statement "it was given to them, which is TRUTH, then it is a gift" Where does it say the "law of Moses was a gift and therefore irrevocable"?

In fact we are told "it was a shadow" "was until the seed was to come" "school master" of which you leave behind, "wax old decay and ready to vanish" "was until John"

Romans 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?
Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
Romans 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob
Romans 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
This is my covenant, is not talking about the law of Moses here, but the New Covenant made with the blood of Jesus

Romans 11:28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father's sakes.
Romans 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
Who is God addressing for this statement? but as touching the election...

Mark 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
Mark 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mark 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Mark 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
Mark 7:10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
Mark 7:11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
Mark 7:12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

This is about the traditions of man or teaching for doctrines the commandments of men, and rejecting the commandments of God.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
Isaiah 5:21 Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!
Isaiah 5:22 Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink
Isaiah 5:23 Which justify the wicked for reward, and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him!

Romans 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God
Romans 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay but by the law of faith. (New Covenant)
Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
Romans 3:29 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:
Romans 3:30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

What was written on our hearts and in our mind? Was it the commandments written on stone by the finger of God that were placed INSIDE the ark, or The law of Moses, written on paper, given for living in the days of flesh, placed OUTSIDE the ark?

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
Yes, God reveals His truth to His little children, not to the wise.

John 21:15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.

John 21:16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

John 21:17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

John 21:18 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
wokinluv said: Here's an inspiring closing remark from someone given wisdom more than me and you

...Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil. Ecclesiastes 12:9-14
Marcelo said: This was written 900 years before the birth of Jesus.
I appreciate the timeless beauty of the verse and I do believe we have to keep God's commandments, but we have to stay current with His commandments.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
John 21:18 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.
I'm getting old; soon I'll be like that!:p

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
I'm getting old; soon I'll be like that!:p
I don't know, I used to think that 70 was old, not so much anymore. But the "me part of me" is the same age it has always been. The only time I really realize I am getting old is when I look in a mirror or fall down. There was something else, but I have forgotten what it was:D

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
I don't know, I used to think that 70 was old, not so much anymore. But the "me part of me" is the same age it has always been. The only time I really realize I am getting old is when I look in a mirror or fall down. There was something else, but I have forgotten what it was:D
Do you have arthritis?

Aug 17, 2019
Yes, it did!

Hebrews 8:13 New International Version (NIV)
By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.
Thanks for the reply.

It has everything to do with the topic.

The body of Christ is the one that will be presented to Him as a pure virgin and whom He will save. (Ephesians 5:23, 2 Corinthians 11:2-4) Israel (the people) are the original branches of the olive tree (Jesus Christ) which makes them a part of the body of Christ. They received the law from God as part of His "gifts and call" which is irrevocable. They were entrusted with the very words of God such as the law and I believe that His words will never pass away.(Romans 11:25-32, 9:4-5, Matthew 24:35)

So as parts of the body of Christ we should not look down or judge them.

What advantage, then, is there in being a Jew, or what value is there in circumcision? Much in every way! First of all, they have been entrusted with the very words of God. What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God’s faithfulness? Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar. As it is written: “So that you may be proved right when you speak and prevail when you judge...” Romans 3:1-8

The word/s of the Master is a law to His servants written on/in their hearts.

Confess Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour and walk in Love.

GOD IS good and His LOVE endures forever. Amen.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
This is the word of God but it scares me.
Hi, Reggie, welcome to Christian Chat.

I used to be scared too, because I thought salvation was extremely hard to obtain. Jesus said it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone rich to enter heaven; He told His disciples to give away all their material assets; He said we have to love our enemies; He taught obedience to the law of Moses; He told us to turn the other cheek, etc.

For a long time I couldn't understand the Gospels, but now I can. Simply put, the earthly Jesus preached the law of Moses and the heavenly Jesus (through Paul) preached salvation by grace through faith.

The video below explains it in detail:

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Thanks for the reply.

It has everything to do with the topic.

The body of Christ is the one that will be presented to Him as a pure virgin and whom He will save...........
Hi Wokinluv, it's time for bed here. Hope to be back tomorrow. Good night!