Did mis-treatment of woman begin with Adam?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 23, 2016
I think the mistreatment of women is a corruption of God's original intent concerning the relationship between a man and a woman as husband and wife.

In Eph 5:21, all believers are instructed Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

Then in Eph 5:22-24, the wife is instructed Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing .

(Even though the wife is instructed to submit, this does not mean the wife is a doormat to be trampled upon)

Then in Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it

(the husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church, and when the husband loves his wife as Christ loves the church, the wife finds it much easier to submit as instructed in Eph 5:22-24)

In 1 Peter 3:7, the husband is instructed to honor his wife:

Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

I love that verse ... being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers be not hindered.

And being the "weaker vessel" does not mean women are not strong. Think of fine crystal as opposed to everyday glassware. The fine china is wonderful as long as it is used properly. But if misused, it can break easily ... not because it has no purpose, but because someone mishandled it and didn't care for it properly.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
I believe that when part of Adam was taken from him and made into 2 beings, the prior truth he once knew was blurry. (No excuse)
But the thought of seeing a naked woman can distort a man's sense of right and wrong.

God made the woman beautiful to the eye for a reason.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
God cursed the ground and the serpent. He did not curse the man and the woman.
NOT TRUE. Please note carefully.

CURSE ON WOMEN
Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

CURSE ON MEN
And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

I'm not sure which Bible you are reading, but its time to get back to the KJV!

P

pottersclay

CURSE ON WOMEN
Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

CURSE ON MEN
And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Yeah but no curse is found on the couple...... multiplying sorrows and sweat for food are not curses.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011

CURSE ON WOMEN

CURSE ON MEN

The only thing in this passage that says the man and woman are cursed, are the 2 titles, which are not part of the original Hebrew! Your KJV is the same as any other. The ground and the plants were cursed.

Maybe you should read a modern version that you can understand better? Certainly, KJV is right here, but the inserted titles are not!

Here is what my copy of the KJV says:

"Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return." Gen. 3:17-19

No inserted titles, no curse on the man and the woman. Although I certainly agree with you the Fall caused all our problems, especially separation from God. Praise God he sent Jesus to take our place on the cross.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

CURSE ON WOMEN

CURSE ON MEN

the only time the word curse is used here is on the ground -- for Adam's sake.
it is used a second time - the Serpent is 'cursed above all cattle'
but He does not say 'cursed is Adam' and He does not say 'cursed is Woman'

P

pottersclay

What the o p is looking for is Genesis 3 :15. When God declared this prophecy Satan started a campaign to discredit woman.
He exploited woman sexually, morally, spiritually, and physically. He attacked the natural order ordained by God to mean a lesser vessel.
Read the scriptures carefully.... It is not good that man should be alone I will make him a helper.
Now ask yourself was man alone? No God was with him . So why did God say this?
God knew in his infinite knowledge that the fall of man would separate and cripple the relationship between God and man.
The desires of man would change to a more fleshly desire. Sexually, morally,
Jesus said : where two or more are gathered in my name there also am I in the mist.
The woman's role is very important and essential as the helper. Woman and man were not created equal. ( As Satan would like you to think). Adam from the dust. Woman from the rib of Adam. Two different creations. Adam as care taker of the garden. Eve as his helper. Two different purposes.
Today the natural order is still under attack causing division between men and woman. Causing a chaos in relationship.
Men are not superior over women they are a different creation purpose. Woman are not lesser than man they have a different purpose also. The saying goes behind every successful man stands a woman.

P

pottersclay

The book of Genesis is the book of creation it is also the book of the natural order of things, before the law God's intended relationship towards man.
The book of Genesis is the creation of wisdom. God created all things by his wisdom. The importance of family, genealogy, worship, blessings, prayer, are all found in this book. It is the blueprint if you will for God's intent towards man.
From this book you can compare how much Satan has stolen from you. How much in bondage you and all of us are in and were in.
The need for Devine intervention, salvation, justification.
God created the world out of chaos but the world left in the hands of man returns to chaos.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

CURSE ON WOMEN

CURSE ON MEN

Curb your bombastic, narrow-minded dogmatism. Here's what the plain text says:

Genesis 3:14-19 (KJV)
14 And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

As you can see, the serpent is cursed and the ground is cursed. That word is not used in reference to the man or the woman.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
God said how its going to be in Genesis 3:16, Peter and Paul were in agreement, that should settle it!

Therefore I believe JosephsDreams that God set things up how He knows is best, how families should operate and if ALL followed the Bible model, we would ALL be more happy, the women included. I believe God knows! Here in the real world things are not equal or the same for everyone.

Sometimes they arent even fair.
I have never gotten a fair shake from society because of my ethnic background and we are very much hated here, looked down upon, stereotyped and attacked, but what am I gonna do about it? Am I gonna start a social media campaign? March on the streets waving flags? NO! I'll keep my head down and keep it moving! Is it annoying? Yes! But life is annoying. Im not going to listen to the western 21st century echo chamber that wants to make me a professional victim.

My rights come from God, not from fake human governments! We are told about human rights, equal rights, these rights, that rights, but thats all fake and phony manmade paper work!

I would also like to point out: GOD TELLS HUSBANDS TO LOVE THEIR WIVES AS CHRIST LOVED THE CHURCH. I had to type it in big letters just so people see that. THAT DOESNT SOUND LIKE MISTREATMENT TO ME! It means im willing to jump in front of a bullet for my wife! (OR my mother, grandmother, earthly father, etc.)
IOW: God doesnt condone mistreatment of women! And Adam did not mistreat Eve!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
But the thought of seeing a naked woman can distort a man's sense of right and wrong.

Unless that beautiful naked woman is your wife.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Unless that beautiful naked woman is your wife.
Well I apologize for derailing the thread again but I have to ask and I wont make a separate topic for this:

WHAT IF i have a son with someone out of wedlock. Does that make us married in the biblical sense? I know that it consumnated the marriage or made it official so to speak. It says "person A 'knew' person B".
No paper work was done in those days!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Well I apologize for derailing the thread again but I have to ask and I wont make a separate topic for this:

WHAT IF i have a son with someone out of wedlock. Does that make us married in the biblical sense? I know that it consumnated the marriage or made it official so to speak. It says "person A 'knew' person B".
No paper work was done in those days!
What you have described would make you married in a biblical sense but perhaps not in a legal sense although in some US states that might be considered a 'common law' marriage. No paperwork required to form such a union.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
God said how its going to be in Genesis 3:16, Peter and Paul were in agreement, that should settle it!
Perhaps you have me on Ignore, and you won't see this.

What do you mean by "God said how it's going to be in Genesis 3:16"?

Do you mean that God commanded that the husband rule over the wife? Did God also command that childbirth be painful, and work sweaty, etc.?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I believe that when part of Adam was taken from him and made into 2 beings, the prior truth he once knew was blurry. (No excuse)

They didnt even know they were naked until after they ate of the fruit.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
What you have described would make you married in a biblical sense but perhaps not in a legal sense although in some US states that might be considered a 'common law' marriage. No paperwork required to form such a union.
so Abraham technically would be both Hagars and Sarahs husband?

A

AuntieAnt

I don't know. I just find it amazing how Christians keep looking to Adam and Eve to figure out how things developed the way they did in this world. It’s kinda weird how people forget (or don’t realize at all) that God purposed for things to be exactly the way they are, that He deliberately created fleshly humans that He knew beforehand were going to rebel against Him. God predestined things the way they are.

My question to Jesus hasn’t been, “Why did Adam or Eve do this or that?” Seriously, what difference does it make? My question has always been to the Lord, “Why did You create the world in such a weird way?” And His answer is always the same, “For My own pleasure.” And I’m like, “How can You find pleasure in rebellious people?”

Then I think of my own children. My sons and my daughter have rebelled against me in the past and at times have crushed my heart beyond belief. But they also have given me (and still do! ) tremendous joy and I feel like the luckiest person in the world when they tell me they love me and I know they mean it. So I can understand God’s desire toward us knuckleheads.

If you wonder why Adam or Eve did what they did, all you have to do is look within your own heart. Everyone wants to go their own way, nobody wants to listen to God by sheer nature. Nobody wants to take the blame, they all are looking for an excuse. Everybody wants to rule the world. Period.

God our Father wanted children and here we all are. God loves us, guides us, makes us more and more in the image of Christ Jesus so He can have a sincere relationship with us. He wants to set us free from the worldly, immature, baby life of the flesh so we can be mature and alive with Him in the Spirit. He started with Adam.