How does a Christian keep the Sabbath Holy?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
i am currenly reading through Galatians.

maybe you should too.
Remember that the Ten commandments were written by God and spoken by God, they were on stone and placed inside the arc under the mercy seat.
The other laws were given to moses and written on a scroll, were placed on the side of the arc and contained hundreds of laws.

The laws of ordinance are not the same as the 10 commandments. The shadow laws are not the same as the 10 commandments.

The laws that pointed to Christ's plan of salvation were a schoolmaster and when Christ came many of the laws were no longer needed because the life and ministry of Christ have superseded them.

When i read Gal with these principles it makes perfect sense.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
But where are Gentiles as Gentiles ever commanded to keep the Sabbath? Furthermore, if the Sabbath was of universal application, why were the Gentiles called "strangers?" The apostle Paul, speaking of the Gentiles during the Jewish age, says they were "strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world?" (Ephesians 2:12)
In order to be a Jew they did what was required.
Being a Jew ment being part of Gods people. God chose the nation to be His people.

Being a Jew wasn't about the blood line, it was about the heart.

Rom 2:26-29
26 Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? 27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law? 28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

We are told today that we to are children of God, brothers and sisters of Jesus. We were strangers because we didn't know Christ.

A stranger that comes to Christ will take up the role of being part of the family.

Eph 2:11-13
11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; 12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: 13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

By Christ we too are part of the family. No longer a stranger or a gentile.

Are you still a gentile and stranger?

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
"joined themselves to the Lord" they ceased being Gentiles and became proselytes to the Jewish religion. They kept the Sabbath AS JEWISH PROSELYTES, NOT as Gentiles.
When we become part of Gods family we are no longer a stranger, a gentile, or an alien. So i keep the sabbath as a member of Christs family not as a gentile.

1Jn 3:1-4
1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

Sons of God... not gentiles.

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. 4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

CS1

May 23, 2012
There is a lot the Bible admonishes us to Not Do on the Sabbath. My dilemma is what can we DO? I spend some time in prayer, some time reading the Word, and then I am stumped. I physically cannot sit around all day and end up just doing things (renovations on house etc) that are self-serving. What is acceptable to God on this day? What sort of things do YOU do to keep the Sabbath?
Christ is our Sabbath. you fulfill it in HIM.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Remember that the Ten commandments were written by God and spoken by God, they were on stone and placed inside the arc under the mercy seat.
The other laws were given to moses and written on a scroll, were placed on the side of the arc and contained hundreds of laws.

The laws of ordinance are not the same as the 10 commandments. The shadow laws are not the same as the 10 commandments.

The laws that pointed to Christ's plan of salvation were a schoolmaster and when Christ came many of the laws were no longer needed because the life and ministry of Christ have superseded them.

When i read Gal with these principles it makes perfect sense.
wrong Covanent.

Jesus was the fulfillment of the Abrahamic Covenant. in your Seed all the families of the world will be blessed.

that is Jesus, the Savior of the world.

not the Torah, which was for Israel only.

and you cannot separate the 10 from the Torah, no matter how hard you try.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
We
wrong Covanent.

Jesus was the fulfillment of the Abrahamic Covenant. in your Seed all the families of the world will be blessed.

that is Jesus, the Savior of the world.

not the Torah, which was for Israel only.

and you cannot separate the 10 from the Torah, no matter how hard you try.
We are one in Christ.

No gentile or Jew we are all part of the family of Christ.

Why did paul quote the 10 commandments and James and Jesus. If they are only for the Jews why are we encouraged to keep them.

The gentile, stranger and alien were able to become part of Gods nation, (Israel) but they needed to comply with the laws of the nation.

Because of Jesus we are no longer strangers.
Eph 2:12-19
12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: 13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. 14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; 15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: 17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. 18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. 19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

The law in verse 15 are ordanaces.. not the 10 commandments because James said...
Jas 2:12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.
And Jesus said...
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
In order to be a Jew they did what was required.
Being a Jew ment being part of Gods people. God chose the nation to be His people.

Being a Jew wasn't about the blood line, it was about the heart.

Rom 2:26-29
26 Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? 27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law? 28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

We are told today that we to are children of God, brothers and sisters of Jesus. We were strangers because we didn't know Christ.

A stranger that comes to Christ will take up the role of being part of the family.

Eph 2:11-13
11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; 12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: 13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

By Christ we too are part of the family. No longer a stranger or a gentile.

Are you still a gentile and stranger?
Mixing the old and new covenants together remains your achilles heel. Ephesians 3:1 - For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles— 2 if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you, 3 how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, 4 by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), 5 which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: 6 that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel.

That was not so under the old covenant of law. This new revelation is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body and fellow partakers of the promise. Such equality, Jew and Gentile united together in one body was previously unknown. The distinctive message of the church today is that Jew and Gentile alike may believe the gospel and be united together into one body. (1 Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 1:13; Galatians 1:11-12)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
When we become part of Gods family we are no longer a stranger, a gentile, or an alien. So i keep the sabbath as a member of Christs family not as a gentile.

1Jn 3:1-4
1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

Sons of God... not gentiles.

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. 4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
Keeping the sabbath was for the Israelites under the law (Exodus 31:16-17; Deuteronomy 5:12-15) So sabbath keeping (with all it's rules and regulations) was part of a covenant with Israel (Exodus 16:23, 29; 31:12-18; 35:1-3; Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3, 32; Numbers 15:32-36; 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13; Amos 8:5; Nehemiah 10:31) that is not binding on Christians under the new covenant.

Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Christ is our Sabbath. you fulfill it in HIM.
Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. (NASB) Notice that the Greek word "sabbatismos" here is used no where else in the Bible.

W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary points out:

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath.

SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it. In whatever way they enter into divine “rest,” that which they enjoy is involved in an indissoluble relation with God. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=35458

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Mixing the old and new covenants together remains your achilles heel. Ephesians 3:1 - For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles— 2 if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you, 3 how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, 4 by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), 5 which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: 6 that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel.

That was not so under the old covenant of law. This new revelation is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body and fellow partakers of the promise. Such equality, Jew and Gentile united together in one body was previously unknown. The distinctive message of the church today is that Jew and Gentile alike may believe the gospel and be united together into one body. (1 Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 1:13; Galatians 1:11-12)
I agree that we as Gentiles or Jews are part of the body through Jesus. United into one body.
But the question is..... is there anything that we should do to be part of that one family?

To be a Jew they were asked to be circumcised, and obey they laws.

To be a part of Gods family are we free from all laws and commitment?

1Jn 3:2-7
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. 4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. 6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. 7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

To be saved from the flood they needed to believe and obey, to be saved from Egypt and be passed over, (last plague), the needed to believe and obey. To be part of God's people at the end we need to believe and obey.

Rev 12:171 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I agree that we as Gentiles or Jews are part of the body through Jesus. United into one body.
But the question is..... is there anything that we should do to be part of that one family?

To be a Jew they were asked to be circumcised, and obey they laws.

1Jn 3:2-7
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. 4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. 6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. 7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

To be saved from the flood they needed to believe and obey, to be saved from Egypt and be passed over, (last plague), the needed to believe and obey. To be part of God's people at the end we need to believe and obey.

Rev 12:171 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
This is the same argument that I typically hear from those who teach salvation by faith + works. You seem to confuse 'descriptive' passages of scripture with 'prescriptive' passages of scripture and also salvation with rewards. (1 Corinthians 3:11-15)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

John 8:36 plus Romans 8:2 If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. For in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set you free from the law of sin and death. :)

Franc254

Oct 7, 2022
The bible doesn't teach that.
You will not find that the moral law was nailed to the cross or completed so that it no longer stands.

Their is a few bible verses in Gal 3:19, 24, 25
Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

It was added as a schoolmaster to lead them to Christ.

Eph 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

If you research it. The laws that are a shadow and schoolmaster were laws that pointed to the plan of salvation and Jesus.
The ordinances were given after sin and because of sin.

Sin is the transgression of the law. The moral law of God does not change. We are told to keep the law in the new testament. So the bible is controdicting itself or there are different laws. Some were abolished and one stands.

Jesus said to keep the commandments.
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

James names them
Jas 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well: ......10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

3 times in Revelation Gods people are shown to be commandment keeping people.

There are many more verses..
Yes some laws and ordanaces were made void at the cross but be careful you do not made the laws that define sin void.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Where in the new testament did anyone teach Sabbath observance

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
Where in the new testament did anyone teach Sabbath observance
When Jesus told His followers to follow the Law.

Matthew 5:18-19 "18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Walter

Jul 20, 2022
Washington
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
There is a lot the Bible admonishes us to Not Do on the Sabbath. My dilemma is what can we DO? I spend some time in prayer, some time reading the Word, and then I am stumped. I physically cannot sit around all day and end up just doing things (renovations on house etc) that are self-serving. What is acceptable to God on this day? What sort of things do YOU do to keep the Sabbath?
Hello BelALamp, Again, On page 1 post 14 and from:

Sunday 3-26-23 1st. Day Of The Weekly Cycle Nisan 3, 5783 7th. Spring Day

Jun 11, 2019

Is there anyone that keeps The Sabbath Day Holy, from Sunset on the 6th. Day/Friday until The ending of The 7th. Day at Sunset, on Saturday by The Gregorian Calendar.

If so being on one accord for that event to happen, We want to thank God for your Faith in doing just that as a start to perfection. Every Sabbath , Sabbath Scriptures: About Sabbath Scriptures , Sabbath Day In The KJV

Sabbath Day, Please Read all.

Sabbaths , Judging one another about the Sabbath .

I have reason to believe of the above study, that The Sabbaths and the Feast Days/Holy Convocations goes together for his/Jesus customs as him and The Apostles, went in the synagogues. Luke 4:16 , Acts 17:2

Acts 17:2

Righteousness is a position. When you become saved you are considered in right standing with God. ... Holiness is the quality of being holy,a life that is full of godly character.Righteousness is to be upright in God, to be blamless. A righteousness man is also a holy man,both of them works together.

Ephesians 4 KJV

Love, Walter and Debbie

Flannery

Mar 20, 2023
I also think there's more to it than what kind of labor or work you do in terms of moving something around in a warehouse. Keeping the Sabbath is a matter or reverence, it reduces the meaning if you say that it's only about not buying or selling, although that's a prohibition. As far as it being a day in which not to do any work, I'd prefer that dictum to employment as a matter of profession. Remember that profession also means that you teach something (theologians profess, that's what they do, always on Sabbath and in church). In terms of Labor and Industries the not to do thing on the sabbath is to trade. Our money says In God We Trust. A police officer of fire agent can be at his duty watch on the sabbath without breaking the law, but buying and selling clothes, food, dry goods, that's off. As far as travel, going to church is part of the meeting, travel rules, it's not like your pilgrimage is a job at the Department of Transport. And then there is the problem of war, Marines and refugees have Sabbath issues, covered under "Pray that your flight be not in the winter, or on the Sabbath." If that happened to you, the fire department, the police or the Army, it was the invaders at fault.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Many of the 10 commandments are not repeated in the new testament ...
Not true. All are repeated but one: Sabbath keeping.

Do not worship any other gods (1 Corinthians 8:6; 1 Timothy 2:5). Do not make idols (1 John 5:21).
Do not misuse the name of the LORD (1 Timothy 6:1). Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit
adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

^ Jesus' words in Mark 10 ^