Is Christmas paganism?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
What is your question? Are you going to hell? If that is the question the only thing that will send any one to hell the rejection of Messiah? Have you rejected Him? Different topic....
That's a lot of hostility.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
Oh and BTW, that was ROTFL tears, I had in my eyes...don't know if you know this or not but what you used as an abbreviation there doesn't stand for anything good...
Yeah, I got that was what 1ofthem meant to communicate when they :ROFL: my post. More and more we're learning which community of "them" that 1 is a member of.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
That's a lot of hostility.
What was hostile about that? If you would quit trying to answer questions by asking unrelated questions, then people might actually know what you're talking about.

The whole Yoda thing is not working that well for you...Just saying. ;)

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Yeah, I got that was what 1ofthem meant to communicate when they :ROFL: my post. More and more we're learning which community of "them" that 1 is a member of.
Since you're so good at telling people what "community" they are a member of...whether it's true or not...Why don't you just go ahead and tell me and everyone else what community I am a member of...You know, like you did with Shamah. You just kept right on saying he was HR and no matter how many times he said he wasn't you just kept right on saying that he was.

You didn't let a small thing like the truth stand in your way...So don't be shy...go ahead, speak your mind here...;)

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Oh and I was seriously just trying to help you out there...Just letting you know the abbreviation you used for it, is considered vulgar...Didn't know if you knew that or not...:)

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Somethings got my CC-senses tingling....This whole thing is starting to feel and sound a little "Depleted" here. If you know what I mean?

If not, oh well, I won't hold it against you... you're just a newbie here, right???

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Question: Should we celebrate Christmas or we should not celebrate because it's paganism?
I posted this previously. December is a very possible time for his birth. Shepherds keeping watch over their flocks is the key to the time frame. End of October through April is the rainy time of year around Jerusalem. The temperature there is moderate. The rain produces lush grass for the sheep to eat. Thus being in the field with their sheep.

http://nabataea.net/birthdate.html
Excerpt from the site.

Here an authority of no mean standing tells us that in the dry summer season the hills are well-nigh bare, affording insufficient pasture, so the shepherds then normally keep their sheep near the town and enfold them at night. But when the winter rains fall, the hills become clothed with grass, and the shepherds, knowing this, take their sheep further a field. Then, because it would make the sheep walk too far to reach the folds every evening, expending energy needlessly, they simply watch their flocks in the fields all night. This seems to be precisely what the evangelist Luke describes:

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night" (Luke 2:8). The shepherds were not in the town; the flock was not in a fold in or near the town. They were afar in 'the field' or common pasturage. The sheep were taken there only in the winter, when the winter rains brought forth grass on the hills.

Another authority of the highest rank, Dr. Alfred Edersheim, who considers it likely that the angel appeared to the shepherds at the traditional site, states:

"This Migdol Eder was not the watchtower for the ordinary flocks which pastured on the barren sheep-ground beyond Bethlehem, but lay close to the town" (Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah 1:186).

He surveys (in Appendix VII) all the evidences he is aware of, and while he admits that 'absolute certainty' is impossible as to the exact date of the Nativity, he shows that the known 'factors do not really conflict with the December dating. "There is no adequate reason," he wrote, "for questioning the historical accuracy of this date. The objections generally made rest on grounds which seem to me historically untenable."

Readers of Scripture who possess first-hand knowledge, or have acquaintance with authoritative works on the climate of Palestine, recognize that the arguments against the December date, based upon wintry and snowy conditions, are untenable. The facts have long been known.

As far back as 1863, Smith's Bible Dictionary, under the heading 'Palestine: the Climate', explained the rarity of snow in southern Palestine, while it conceded its more frequent occurrence in the northern parts of the land. The mean temperature at Jerusalem during December is said to run around 47 to 60 degrees F.

It certainly would not hurt sheep to be out at night in that sort of temperature. The Dictionary further states:

"As in the time of our Saviour (Luke 12: 54), the rains come chiefly from the S. or S.W. They commence at the end of October or beginning of November, and continue with greater or less constancy till the end of February or middle of March, and occasionally, though rarely, to the end of April. It is not a heavy continuous rain, so much as a succession of severe showers or storms with intervening periods of fine bright weather, permitting the grain crops to grow and ripen. And although the season is not divided by any entire cessation of rain for a lengthened interval, as some represent, yet there appears to be a diminution in the fall for a few weeks in December and January, after which it begins again, and continues during February and till the conclusion of the season."

It may be noted that the traditional date .for the birth of Christ falls in this period of the diminution of rainfall toward the end of December. The former rains would have produced grass on the hills, and the fine bright weather intervening between the rains, with temperatures averaging 55 degrees F. would be excellent for sheep grazing on the hills east of David's royal city.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
From my understanding the early church incorporated pagan aspects of Christmas as a way to ease the transition to Christianity.

Personally I don't look too far into it. Life is too short to never celebrate anything. I've known people that don't celebrate Halloween, Thanksgiving, birthdays, etc. If you go around being offended by everything you will never find happiness. As long as it's not disrespectful to God, which I do not believe it is then it's fine. Obviously just my opinion.

allaboutlove

Jun 11, 2013
To address the original question here. Christianity has adopted alot of are traditions from paganism in part to try and be appealing to those groups... Yes Christmas and alot of things about it take it orgins from pagan tradition but why should that matter....
I personally don't believe Christ was born in December but sence Idk when he was born that is when I choose to celebrate it.. And as far as christmas being to commerciliazed.. It is by alot of people but that doesn't mean it has to be by you...
Like most things Christmas is what you make of it.. If you use it as a time to celebrate the birth of christ and to show love to people then there is nothing wrong with it.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
To address the original question here. Christianity has adopted alot of are traditions from paganism in part to try and be appealing to those groups... Yes Christmas and alot of things about it take it orgins from pagan tradition but why should that matter....
I personally don't believe Christ was born in December but sence Idk when he was born that is when I choose to celebrate it.. And as far as christmas being to commerciliazed.. It is by alot of people but that doesn't mean it has to be by you...
Like most things Christmas is what you make of it.. If you use it as a time to celebrate the birth of christ and to show love to people then there is nothing wrong with it.
Lol..the secularism of Christmas also comes from german n norwegien fokelor..from the history of st nick..the yule log etc...its kinda sad when people have to MAKE something demonic into things that werent at all meant for it..very sad

allaboutlove

Jun 11, 2013
Lol..the secularism of Christmas also comes from german n norwegien fokelor..from the history of st nick..the yule log etc...its kinda sad when people have to MAKE something demonic into things that werent at all meant for it..very sad
Christmas brings people together, It often brings out the good in people..... And also it more recent years it can bring out the bad in people...
Its like a gun, in of themselves guns are nether good nor bad.. The actions of the person behind the gun determine if its being used for good or bad.. Its the same with many things christmas included. If you use it as a time to get togather with family and to worrship christ and to spread cheer than it doesn't really matter what its orgins are.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
Christmas brings people together, It often brings out the good in people..... And also it more recent years it can bring out the bad in people...
Its like a gun, in of themselves guns are nether good nor bad.. The actions of the person behind the gun determine if its being used for good or bad.. Its the same with many things christmas included. If you use it as a time to get togather with family and to worrship christ and to spread cheer than it doesn't really matter what its orgins are.
Its a lot of things that God created to be good beautiful and pure man has manipulated twisted destroyed n contaminated. ;(

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
When i was a kid..on christmas Eve after church and driving around looking at christmas lights as a family..we celebrated Jesus bday..cake..candles..sang bday song etc..and read the Biblical christmas story..Christmas day we opened presents..had family brunch etc..

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
I don't see anything wrong to remember and celebrate Jesus' birthday on any date you wish why?

Deuteronomy 32:7 Remember the days of old, Consider the years of all generations. Ask your father, and he will inform you, Your elders, and they will tell you.

But I never disagree that the spirit of giving, loving and forgiving during Christmas should always be practiced everyday and not during December.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
I don't see anything wrong to remember and celebrate Jesus' birthday on any date you wish why?

Deuteronomy 32:7 Remember the days of old, Consider the years of all generations. Ask your father, and he will inform you, Your elders, and they will tell you.

But I never disagree that the spirit of giving, loving and forgiving during Christmas should always be practiced everyday and not during December.
Its nice though to have a specific date to celebrate..just like valentines day..lol..a lot of people take advatage of those they love but that specific day people remember n some celebrate n yes..we should make people we love apecial EVERY day of the year..but we dont..n yes..Valentines day IS a holiday dispite what others say ;)

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
Somethings got my CC-senses tingling....This whole thing is starting to feel and sound a little "Depleted" here. If you know what I mean?

If not, oh well, I won't hold it against you... you're just a newbie here, right???
If you're speaking to me there, not a clue.
I figure there are a lot of threads where people are told not to trust their feelings when they try to interpret scripture. Maybe your feelings about whatever you're talking about there could run along that same line of advice.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
Since you're so good at telling people what "community" they are a member of...whether it's true or not...Why don't you just go ahead and tell me and everyone else what community I am a member of...You know, like you did with Shamah. You just kept right on saying he was HR and no matter how many times he said he wasn't you just kept right on saying that he was.

You didn't let a small thing like the truth stand in your way...So don't be shy...go ahead, speak your mind here...;)
You've no clue about Shamah as you misrepresent the truth of that exchange that didn't include you at all.
As to the rest play your game by yourself.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
What was hostile about that? If you would quit trying to answer questions by asking unrelated questions, then people might actually know what you're talking about.

The whole Yoda thing is not working that well for you...Just saying. ;)
Now hostility has altered itself into sarcasm.
How's that all working out for you? Misrepresenting the truth and then cracking smartelack at your own gaff?
That's the end of my replies to your personal attacks. Move on or move out.

This thread is about the question, is Christmas Paganism.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Now hostility has altered itself into sarcasm.
How's that all working out for you? Misrepresenting the truth and then cracking smartelack at your own gaff?
That's the end of my replies to your personal attacks. Move on or move out.

This thread is about the question, is Christmas Paganism.
Wait...Hold da phone...this thread is supposed to be about Christmas...

I thought it was some kind of ganghum style interrogation on that one guy....No wait, that was just all those pages you started....

"Move on or Move out"????? :ROFL: Hum, I guess I'll have to go hard or go home, right....:unsure:

Here's the thing, you got caught and called out on your game and you don't like it... that's all that needs to be said about it, and I know you get it.... so I'm done here.

Have yourself a MERRY Christmas, Little Wolf.

Or not, it's your choice;)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

I miss her and her other alter-ego 'atwhatcost'.