Is God A Moral Monster?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
And whom did Satan destroy? Is there a list of cities, people?
Jesus gives life more abundantly, Satan destroys life, so then, who was the god of Moses?

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Jesus gives life more abundantly, Satan destroys life, so then, who was the god of Moses?
We shall not derail this discussion.
So you say Satan not God is the destroyer. God, who was Jesus, gives life more abundantly, Satan destroys life, you said.
Was it Satan that sent the Deluge?
Was it Satan that forewarned Lot of the coming destruction of the twin cities?
Was it Satan that destroyed the Canaanite cities as described in the Book of Judges chapter 1?
Just a short list of what is in the Old Testament as pertains to the destruction wrought by whom? Satan? All, was of Satan?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Have you learnt the difference between judgment and truth? Do you have exclusivity of truth by a fautless interpretation of scripture? If you don't then maybe all YOU have is your own judgements. I admit I am fallible, flawed, subject to error and constantly need to learn. Isn't that true of us all, including the writers of the bible books?
To your specific questions...

Yes.
No.
In their humanity, yes. In their writing of Scripture, no. Scripture is God-breathed. I get that you reject that, but that doesn't make your view true or the Scripture false.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Wow Angela! Don't hold back.....say how you feel lol! :) You seem to know an awful lot about me and my motives. You may have "read and studied the bible over 50 times", but that hasn't stopped you being a tad judgemental.
I'm not afraid to judge a pagan who comes to this forum to try and destroy the Bible, and replace the God of the Bible with their own, made up God. It's called being discerning.

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world." 1 John 4:1

You are a false prophet, and your vain imaginings need to be torn down. The Bible is true, and is our foundation! No one gave you the right to tear it down.

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

As a pagan, you are not spiritual, but in your flesh, unable to understand God! This verse describes you perfectly!

"The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Cor. 2:14

As far as judging, don't be pulling Matt 7:1 out of context. People who have not read the Bible properly seem to do this a lot. In fact, we are to judge the things of this world.

"Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!" 1 Cor 6:2-3

Really, you settled the matter yourself, anyway. You said you don't believe the Bible, you have made up a pick-and-choose God, only using characteristics you like. In other words, you have rejected the living God revealed in the Bible and replaced him with yourself! You make yourself as God, by claiming you have authority over Scripture and the true God!!

PS

Jan 11, 2013
We shall not derail this discussion.
So you say Satan not God is the destroyer. God, who was Jesus, gives life more abundantly, Satan destroys life, you said.
Was it Satan that sent the Deluge?
Was it Satan that forewarned Lot of the coming destruction of the twin cities?
Was it Satan that destroyed the Canaanite cities as described in the Book of Judges chapter 1?
Just a short list of what is in the Old Testament as pertains to the destruction wrought by whom? Satan? All, was of Satan?
I have said this a few times with regard to the Exodus. The people escaped from Egypt without spilling a drop of blood, God used nature to establish their release, and got them safely over the Red Sea, again without bloodshed. If the people had continued with God, He would have got them into the Promised Land in a miraculous way in a fraction of the time.

God is the giver and taker of life, that is His prerogative and you are questioning and arguing against the righteous God. On the other hand Moses disobeyed the commandments, he murdered, he stole, he made graven images, he told his army to take little girls for themselves, and he made burnt offerings which Yahweh abhors.

All we need to do is to put our trust in God and He will guide us and lead us. The people were disobedient, they were far away from the true God and worshipping false gods. There are only two G/gods and if you are not following one, you are following the other.

It is late and I am turning in. I am so sad that people argue against God while defending unrighteousness.

Dec 28, 2016
I'm not afraid to judge a pagan who comes to this forum to try and destroy the Bible, and replace the God of the Bible with their own, made up God. It's called being discerning.

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world." 1 John 4:1

You are a false prophet, and your vain imaginings need to be torn down. The Bible is true, and is our foundation! No one gave you the right to tear it down.

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

As a pagan, you are not spiritual, but in your flesh, unable to understand God! This verse describes you perfectly!

"The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Cor. 2:14

As far as judging, don't be pulling Matt 7:1 out of context. People who have not read the Bible properly seem to do this a lot. In fact, we are to judge the things of this world.

"Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!" 1 Cor 6:2-3

Really, you settled the matter yourself, anyway. You said you don't believe the Bible, you have made up a pick-and-choose God, only using characteristics you like. In other words, you have rejected the living God revealed in the Bible and replaced him with yourself! You make yourself as God, by claiming you have authority over Scripture and the true God!!
Immoral people like to charge God with being immoral as if they, yet in a state of reprobation or depravation, can judge a perfect God. Apparently it makes them feel justified.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
I have said this a few times with regard to the Exodus. The people escaped from Egypt without spilling a drop of blood, God used nature to establish their release, and got them safely over the Red Sea, again without bloodshed. If the people had continued with God, He would have got them into the Promised Land in a miraculous way in a fraction of the time.

God is the giver and taker of life, that is His prerogative and you are questioning and arguing against the righteous God. On the other hand Moses disobeyed the commandments, he murdered, he stole, he made graven images, he told his army to take little girls for themselves, and he made burnt offerings which Yahweh abhors.

All we need to do is to put our trust in God and He will guide us and lead us. The people were disobedient, they were far away from the true God and worshipping false gods. There are only two G/gods and if you are not following one, you are following the other.

It is late and I am turning in. I am so sad that people argue against God while defending unrighteousness.
As I said, we will not derail this topic so as to go off on a tangent about Moses. Especially when you are now flipping your prior proclamations about God in the process; "Jesus gives life more abundantly, Satan destroys life "

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I do not believe the true God is the destroyer.

do you believe the Psalms are prayers to Satan?

In Your mercy cut off my enemies,
and destroy all those who afflict my soul;
rfor I am Your servant.
(Psalm 143:12)
do you believe Jesus will do what He says He will do?

in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers,
gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them:
but gather the wheat into My barn.
(Matthew 13:30)
"when The Owner of the vineyard comes, what will He do to those vinedressers?
They said to Him, “He will destroy those wicked men miserably, and lease His vineyard to other vinedressers who will render to Him the fruits in their seasons.”
(Matthew 21:40-41)
whoever falls on This Stone will be broken;
but on whomever It falls, It will grind him to powder
(Matthew 21:44)
grind to powder.
what did Moses do to the detestable idol at Sinai, in the sight of God? he ground it to powder and forced the wicked to drink it.
what was the judgement of the Serpent? that he eat dust.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
that is the lie Satan told Eve, And that the Hebrews also told at Meribah.
But that wasn't a lie that the serpent told Eve. She did die in that instantaneous spiritual death, which is why she and Adam would realize they were naked. And of course they would later suffer the physical death. And as we know this then applied to the whole human race. Therefore, Satan, the serpent, did not lie.

I would add as to your posts to PS, as they had said in their last posting, I believe they are now off-line , having retired for the evening.
Just so you don't think they are not responding for some other reason.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
we need to make sure we do not follow Yahweh, the god of the Pharisees, but Jesus who is coming again.
or else what?

or else Jesus will do exactly what YHWH did in the OT to the wicked, because Jesus is YHWH - He is I AM. He came as a servant - astounding! - but He will come again in judgement, and every eye will see Him and know exactly who He is. He said Moses wrote about Him and that if you do not believe Moses, you sure ain't believing Him. Moses called YHWH the one and only Lord God Almighty, the Beginning and the End. Moses appeared with Him on the mount and it sure wasn't the first time they'd met.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
But that wasn't a lie that the serpent told Eve. She did die in that instantaneous spiritual death, which is why she and Adam would realize they were naked. And of course they would later suffer the physical death. And as we know this then applied to the whole human race. Therefore, Satan, the serpent, did not lie.

I would add as to your posts to PS, as they had said in their last posting, I believe they are now off-line , having retired for the evening.
Just so you don't think they are not responding for some other reason.
the lie the Serpent told the Woman is that she doesn't have life, wisdom and knowledge unless she rejects her Creator. the insinuation is that God has created her to be dead, and that she ultimately does not exist - that she must prove her existence by disobedience, tempting God to destroy her: effectively daring Him to with the tacit accusation that He is an evil murderer. this is the same lie at Meribah and in the wilderness when he tested Jesus - it is "the lie" of 2 Thessalonians 2:11 - 'the abundance of his traffic'

Sep 29, 2019

My goodness me. What a rant. Judge away if it makes you feel better. Peace x

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The true God said:
For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings. (Hosea 6:6)

“What to me is the multitude of your sacrifices? says the Lord; I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of well-fed beasts; I do not delight in the blood of bulls, or of lambs, or of goats. (Isaiah 1:11)

Bring no more vain offerings; incense is an abomination to me. New moon and Sabbath and the calling of convocations—I cannot endure iniquity and solemn assembly. (Isaiah 1:13)

Who were the Israelites sacrificing to? This is paganism.
read the chapter.
read 2 Kings 14, see what was happening in Israel when Isaiah gave this prophecy.
why does He refuse to hear their prayers? because they have become a nation of spiritual prostitutes, worshiping at least a half dozen idols in addition to keeping up the show at the temple.

The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do.
(Matthew 23:2-3)
Jesus said to Israel, do what the Pharisees tell you to do, because why?
because they sit in Moses' seat.
but you say, do not do the things Moses said to do, because Moses gave the commands of Satan. in the abstract is that is not unlike going through the motions of serving God while simultaneously worshiping false gods?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Who has the pure, unadulterated view?
the Bible does.
the pure, unadulterated view is God's view.
the Bible reveals what His view is.
when your view is at odds with the scriptures, you're the one adulterating the view - not the other way around.

we're not trying to scare you. we're just trying to tell you the truth.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
the lie the Serpent told the Woman is that she doesn't have life, wisdom and knowledge unless she rejects her Creator. the insinuation is that God has created her to be dead, and that she ultimately does not exist - that she must prove her existence by disobedience, tempting God to destroy her: effectively daring Him to with the tacit accusation that He is an evil murderer. this is the same lie at Meribah and in the wilderness when he tested Jesus - it is "the lie" of 2 Thessalonians 2:11 - 'the abundance of his traffic'
None of that is actually in Genesis.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I go by my direct experience of God. I have yet to encounter anything wrathful in that experience. In fact the love that I have experienced from that encounter puts me at odds with much of the bible ( the hellfire and genocide bits) but in tune with its more enlightened bits. So why should I go with someone else's experience of God?
you say here some bits are 'more enlightened'
clear implication: some are '
unenlightened'

I see an evolution in the understanding of God from the writers of the various books of the bible.
similarly you say there's an 'evolution in the understanding' of the people who wrote the things in the Bible.
clear implication: looking back, the earlier writers are
devolved

The ancient people didn't understand such things as we do today. They were looking to make some meaning out of such an event.
here you unambiguously say that not only does Moses ((who wrote down Genesis)) lack understanding, but that you have greater understanding.

I am not a biblical inerrantist. That view only became prominant in Victorian times with the rise of fundamentalism, as a reaction against Darwinism.
this statement is factually incorrect, but more importantly for the purposes of the reply you wanted, you point out here that you do not believe the Bible is inerrant.
clear implication: you believe some of it is wrong.
clear implication: you consider yourself able to identify at least some of the wrong parts as wrong.

put all these things together:
Moses wrote down the first five books.
you in particular believe the first 5 books are written by a devolved, unenlightened man who lacked understanding and included much erroneous information.
you believe you know better, are more enlightened, have better understanding, and are more evolved.

you are saying Moses was an unevolved, unenlightened, confused & intellectually dim man who believed a pack of lies.
you're calling Moses an idiot because he wrote the first 5 books of the Bible, which you consider largely idiotic in content.
you believe the Bible was written by idiots.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
the Bible does.
the pure, unadulterated view is God's view.
the Bible reveals what His view is.
when your view is at odds with the scriptures, you're the one adulterating the view - not the other way around.

we're not trying to scare you. we're just trying to tell you the truth.
The truth is the original manuscripts, the autographs, are not available to us. The Bible we have today is not what was at the beginning. It has been changed over a period of a great many years.
We have but to just compare the number of books in the Catholic Bible, 73. That number arrived at `after a number of councils ratified the book number with the final ratification occurring under the council of Carthage in 397 AD. All of that occurred after the then Pope Pope Damasus Ist believed the books he'd chosen were divinely inspired to be the official church Bible in 382 AD.

While the Protestant Bible has 66 books. And at one time its publishing included the Apocrypha's original Greek Old Testament number of 14.

So when you tell him, "the Bible does", one could easily retort with, which one and from which century? The Bible we have today is not the one that was first available. In fact, the Apostles spread the word verbally. They did not have a new testament to distribute in their journey.