Jesus Revolution

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Have no idea as don't watch Grey's Anatomy.
Grey's Anatomy is actually a medical book.

Are you a urologist?
 
Did anyone see this movie? What did you think of it?

I saw it. We went to Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, various times over the years starting in the 70's. I never met Lonnie Frisbie, but I "knew" Pastor Chuck, and Greg Laurie. He'd shared his story a number of times. He'd also written a book about his life.

So when my wife and I saw the movie, we couldn't understand why he had changed so much from his real history. We enjoyed the movie. Kelsey Grammer did a pretty good job, we thought, maybe the best someone could, while not quite capturing Chuck. Pastor Chuck tended to beam with love pretty much all the time. He could be very stern at times too.

A lot of the personal details were changed. Chuck and Kay have 2 daughters, and a son, but in the movie only one daughter. Things like that. Things about how Greg Laurie met his wife, how they met Lonnie Frisbie, stuff like that.

The overall history of the church seemed accurate. The portrayal of the communal houses seemed accurate. I think the overall attitudes/mindsets of the various people portrayed matched my recollections of these people.

I probably won't watch it again.

Much love!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Godsgirl1983
I keep telling you man, you're playing it wrong. You should get out the popcorn, mixed nuts and soda, kick back and watch the show.
Yea it's a movie, mostly for entertainment it's not really a sermon.
At first I thought it was kidding me about the hippie Jesus, but that's who they really thought Lonnie Frisbee was.
Also Frisbee was his real name, not making that up!
 
Yea it's a movie, mostly for entertainment it's not really a sermon.
At first I thought it was kidding me about the hippie Jesus, but that's who they really thought Lonnie Frisbee was.
Also Frisbee was his real name, not making that up!
That's... Um... Not what I meant. But yeah, that too.
 
That's... Um... Not what I meant. But yeah, that too.
Have you actually seen the movie Lynx, or are you just responding to my thread to make jokes about me?

It's on Netflix, well it was when I saw it.
Also it's a movie, not a documentary. So, some of it might have been rewritten for entertainment value. The car scene was funny, and the hippie clothes were funny, but then I think it was accurate to the times people really did use to dress like that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: faithlife
Ponchos...shaggy vests, flares, hippy beads, fringed leather...bare feet, no bras, long hair. Macrame. It was another time.
They hadn't yet done the whole sandals with socks thing, or the short shorts. but maybe that was just a thing in 70's NZ.

And there was a somewhat Jesus Movement in NZ in the 60s-70s, but not sure how that got started, as we didn't have any Lonnie Frisbee. Have to ask someone who was there at the time, if they can remember. We didn't have the drugs though, (acid, LSD) that was an American thing. They didn't import that to us, we just had marijuana.
 
Did anyone see this movie? What did you think of it?

Saw it with my wife when it came out. I think it is a reasonable account of what happened. IMHO it was a part of a natiionwide outpouring of Holy Spirit with emphasis on praise and worship. Through my reasearch for a blog here, I found the outbreak happened around the same time in at least 3 different locations. Southern Cali, Eugene Or and Hamption Roads Virginia. There were probably more. Started easry 1960's and slowly morphed into something totally different starting around the mid 1980's with the worship wars.

what happened to the hippie movement...did they all turn to Christ?
It just died out. Probably after the death of Jerry Garcia

The sad part about the Jesus Revolution is that Lonnie Frisbee, who played such a pivotal part was caught up in homosexuality, and if I am right, died of Aids. Very sad.
Correct. He lost his privilage to preach/teach at Calvery Chapel, contracted HIV and died from AIDS. Very sad is correct however GOD did give him time and space to repent.
 
Nope
But I can highly recommend
Michael starring John travolta as the arch angelim certain
Jesus laughed his socks off
And quietly said
Yep
It's really kind of like that
 
mm don't think so, also, conversion therapy is now banned/illegal at least in my country.
It doesn't seem to have lasting effect.

It didn't for Lonnie Frisbee anyway.
Conversion therapy is manmade. Real transformation is through the Holy Spirit. HE is the way out
 
  • Like
Reactions: Godsgirl1983
Conversion therapy is manmade. Real transformation is through the Holy Spirit. HE is the way out
yep. It sounded suss the way conversion therapy is prescribed. Also young christians who had grown up in church but worried they were gay had the hardest time.
 
What were...the worship wars? I don't think google could explain that one.
 
Jesus Revolution just led to Calvary Chapel. It was a West Coast/California thing in the US.
Kinda interesting movie but just wanting to know what other Christians thought of it. Thanks to those who watched and responded.
 
  • Like
Reactions: faithlife