King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

graceNpeace

Aug 12, 2016
KJV1611 appears to be either “Lost in Space” or in the “Twilight Zone” because he is confusing the contextual form (אֱלָהִֽין) in Daniel 3:25, which is plural, with the lexical form (אֱלָהּ), which is singular—as lexical forms always are!
Sagart already gave the answer - but I guess you did not understand!

Nov 23, 2013
Sagart already gave the answer - but I guess you did not understand!
So does this mean that a novice looking to see what the original word was should not use blue letter bible because it doesn't give the contextual form?

Also what is contextual form?

graceNpeace

Aug 12, 2016
No I didn't understand it and still don't.
Never a truer word spoken!

Yet you are trying to argue some, apparently, important, theological point based on a hopeless ignorance of the subject.

Nov 23, 2013
Never a truer word spoken!

Yet you are trying to argue some, apparently, important, theological point based on a hopeless ignorance of the subject.
I'm not trying to argue, I'm trying to learn something about the original language.

graceNpeace

Aug 12, 2016
I'm not trying to argue, I'm trying to learn something about the original language.
Reject your KJVO beliefs then.
The only reason you are chasing rabbits right now is to try and prove the infallibility of the KJV, and then to justify your other strange theological beliefs.

Nov 23, 2013
Reject your KJVO beliefs then.
The only reason you are chasing rabbits right now is to try and prove the infallibility of the KJV, and then to justify your other strange theological beliefs.
I don't have to reject the KJV to learn about the original languages. Hopefully someone will come along that's willing to help me understand. All I want to know is what the original Aramaic says, I don't expect it to contradict what the KJV says... although it may, but I just want to know the truth.

graceNpeace

Aug 12, 2016
I don't have to reject the KJV to learn about the original languages. Hopefully someone will come along that's willing to help me understand. All I want to know is what the original Aramaic says, I don't expect it to contradict what the KJV says... although it may, but I just want to know the truth.
The truth will escape you as long you hold to the view KJV is the only possible word of God.
You have been duped, how I know not, into putting the KJV as your prime object of worship.
The TRUTH, if indeed you really seek the truth of the Gospel, is NOT to be found only in the KJV, to the exclusion of all other translation.
It certainly does not have anything to do with the misinterpretation and nitpicking about the so-called differences that you are trying to highlight.

You are indulging in Bibliolatry - you are worshipping the KJV instead of God - all because you have been duped into believing that if any other version differs in the slightest from what you think the KJV says, whether that is accurate or not, then that other version must be false.

This is just not about using the KJV, amongst other equally good translations.
No!
You go far beyond that:
Your handle is KJV1611 (trying to make a statement perhaps...);
Then Ps 12:6 - falsely applied as referring to the infallible preservation of the Word of God as apparently evidenced in the KJV - the absolute poster verse of the KJVO heresy.
Then we come to the choice of the Scriptures that you want to argue about and the dodgy misinterpretations that you insist on making. You know, of course, that all these verses are used by various cults to deny the divinity of Jesus Christ, to change the nature of salvation to God knows what (varies depending on the cult), etc, etc.

You have been duped and you do need to reject, absolutely, your KJVO views.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
All I want to know is what the original Aramaic says, I don't expect it to contradict what the KJV says... although it may, but I just want to know the truth.
the truth.png

Sorry, it was too good to pass up.....

Don't throw me soft pitches if you don't want me to hit it out of the park....:)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2013
The truth will escape you as long you hold to the view KJV is the only possible word of God.
You have been duped, how I know not, into putting the KJV as your prime object of worship.
The TRUTH, if indeed you really seek the truth of the Gospel, is NOT to be found only in the KJV, to the exclusion of all other translation.
It certainly does not have anything to do with the misinterpretation and nitpicking about the so-called differences that you are trying to highlight.

You are indulging in Bibliolatry - you are worshipping the KJV instead of God - all because you have been duped into believing that if any other version differs in the slightest from what you think the KJV says, whether that is accurate or not, then that other version must be false.

This is just not about using the KJV, amongst other equally good translations.
No!
You go far beyond that:
Your handle is KJV1611 (trying to make a statement perhaps...);
Then Ps 12:6 - falsely applied as referring to the infallible preservation of the Word of God as apparently evidenced in the KJV - the absolute poster verse of the KJVO heresy.
Then we come to the choice of the Scriptures that you want to argue about and the dodgy misinterpretations that you insist on making. You know, of course, that all these verses are used by various cults to deny the divinity of Jesus Christ, to change the nature of salvation to God knows what (varies depending on the cult), etc, etc.

You have been duped and you do need to reject, absolutely, your KJVO views.
I know it was Jesus in the furnace and I know that because of the KJV and so does everyone else who has not been decieved by the "son of the gods" translation... the truth has not escaped me, nor has the love of Christ escaped me, I still pray for you even though you persecute me for my beliefs.

J7

Banned
Apr 2, 2017
Isn't the KJV argument a circular argument though?

God has promised to preserve his word. Where does it say that? In the KJV....

J7

Banned
Apr 2, 2017
The starting point is this:

Search the scriptures
&
Test the Spirits

Yes there will be disingenuous translations. There are fake Christians, but we don't say all Christians are fakes.

God gave you a brain, so use it. Sift truth from chaff.

J7

Banned
Apr 2, 2017
I've just completed a study of Romans 3, and to be honest, I just blend the translations, KJV, NRSV, NIV, whatever makes sense and is loyal to the Greek.

Sometimes the translations just lose the thread of Paul's argument, and so you have to use all the resources available to get to the bottom of it.

Sometimes one word poorly interpreted throws you right off the scent

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I know it was Jesus in the furnace and I know that because of the KJV and so does everyone else who has not been decieved by the "son of the gods" translation... the truth has not escaped me, nor has the love of Christ escaped me, I still pray for you even though you persecute me for my beliefs.
The translation, "like a son of the gods" takes away nothing from the identity of the fourth man in the furnace. The words of a pagan king don't define who that person was. They only convey his perception.

Perhaps a comparison will help... I'm a relatively-tall person, but not unusually tall by any means. A child once looked up at me and said, "Mommy, there's a giant in here!" (yes, there was plenty of laughter). Does her perception of me as a giant change the truth about my height? Of course not. Similarly, Nebuchadnezzar's perception of the fourth man tells us that man was unusual, but doesn't define who he/He actually was.

My faith in Christ and certainty of the reliability and truthfulness of Scripture isn't challenged one iota on this matter, regardless of what King Neb actually said, and regardless of whether it was Jesus or an angel. Personally, I think "son of the gods" makes more sense, given the context. In similar fashion, the centurion's words in Matthew 27:54 and Mark 15:39 could legitimately be either "the Son of God" or "the son of a god". It's the same issue, and the testimony of a pagan is not the rock on which my faith is built. :)

Nov 23, 2013
Isn't the KJV argument a circular argument though?

God has promised to preserve his word. Where does it say that? In the KJV....
I don't see it as a circular argument. I look it at like this , God said he preserved his word. If God preserved his word then that word is perfect and that's what I see in the KJV.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
I don't see it as a circular argument. I look it at like this , God said he preserved his word. If God preserved his word then that word is perfect and that's what I see in the KJV.
What exactly are you refering to, when always repeating the promise of God to preserve his word?

Nov 23, 2013
The starting point is this:

Search the scriptures
&
Test the Spirits

Yes there will be disingenuous translations. There are fake Christians, but we don't say all Christians are fakes.

God gave you a brain, so use it. Sift truth from chaff.
Do you believe the teachings of fake Christians?

Nov 23, 2013
I've just completed a study of Romans 3, and to be honest, I just blend the translations, KJV, NRSV, NIV, whatever makes sense and is loyal to the Greek.

Sometimes the translations just lose the thread of Paul's argument, and so you have to use all the resources available to get to the bottom of it.

Sometimes one word poorly interpreted throws you right off the scent
That's the same as saying that the parts of bible A that we disagree with we throw away and find something more suitable in another version. We now have the gospel according to us instead of the true word of God.