Hello, all.
@TabinRivCA actually invited me to post here because, somehow, she's noticed that I can't shut up about this topic on other threads.
Am
I, personally, getting tired of waiting for the right one?
Well, for one thing, I'm not really "waiting for the right one," although I
am single and desire marriage, for sure. Maybe a batter question is whether or not I'm tired of being single.
Which I am. Most definitely. Big time.
Marriage is something I've dreamed about since I turned 15, but, for many different reasons, romantic relationships have not worked out for me, ever. And, like many Christian singles in church setting, I'm sure, I see other people successfully date and marry all the time, often to people that they seemed to meet by coincidence. So I'm definitely tired of "waiting." And I'll be speaking as a single guy who's hit 31 without ever being married or even being "official" with anyone. (Been on a few first and second dates, most of which didn't go well)
There's a couple things that make "waiting" hard. One of the hardest things is that, if you have the desire for romance/marriage/sex, well, there's no real substitute for it. Sometimes, when you express this sort of thing in a Christian/church setting, well-meaning people will try to "reassure you" that you're "already loved." They'll "remind" you that Jesus loves you., of course. They might tell you that your friends love you. They might tell you that your family loves you. These things are all true for me. But, of course, experiencing these kinds of love doesn't do anything to quench the desire for romantic love, does it? I've always liked how, in the Bible, there's so many different Hebrew and Greek words for the different kinds of love. In English, we, confusingly, can only over-use one word.
And think about the idea of sex, for instance. In physical terms, sex is the most intimate way that you'll connect with another human, and the most intimate way that someone will choose you and love you. That's one of the reasons we desire romantic love, because of the
kind of love that it is. And, if you're a Christian single, well, there's no fulfill that. Of course that can be frustrating. Paul recognizes that in 1 Corinthians 7, where he says that it's actually
better to marry than to burn with passion. Unfortunately, none of us are promised marriage.
That's another hard part about being single. Wrestling with the fact that nobody chose you or is choosing you.
Another aspect of unwanted singleness is that it can be a legitimate trial or hardship. Sometimes people can scoff at this as some kind of "first world problem." They'll "remind" you that "There's worse things, you know." But marriage happened in the Garden of Eden. While Adam had a perfect, sinless relationship with God. God looked at Adam and said it wasn’t good for man to be alone. Isn’t that interesting? You mean even when he was totally with God, Adam still needed someone else? Whoops.
In the Garden of Eden, when the world was perfect, God gave Adam a wife. But then what happened? Mankind rebelled, sin entered the world, and everything has been screwed up ever since. In Paradise, when things were perfect, there was marriage. In the post-Fall world, there’s people who desire marriage, but it doesn’t work out for them. It’s one of the many genuine disappointments that we all have to deal with in a fallen, sinful world. It’s OK to recognize it as such.
I do believe that there's some people who lack the gift of celibacy who still won't be able to marry. I mean, I've often read that there's more Christian women in the world than there are men. If that's broadly true, it means that not everyone will be able to find someone to marry, even if they have strong desires. And in Matthew 19, when Jesus talks about people who don't marry, he mentions a few different types: people who
choose to live that way, people who are made that way by God, and people who are made that way by "other men." So some people stay single, and it's not because
they chose it
or because God chose it. It wasn't
their plan, and it wasn't "God's plan," either. It's just how life turned out.
Yes, God is good. But we live in a world that is
not good.
No matter what happens there is some stuff that won’t happen. For my part, I never got to know what it was like to have a girlfriend in my teens, or a wife in my twenties. Some people get married in their forties, and those people probably won't have kids. These things can hurt, and spiritual-sounding platitudes don't help you much in situations like that. We need to mourn these sorts of losses appropriately. It’s part of being emotionally healthy. of course, instead, we often insulate ourselves from the hurt through, say denial ("Ah, my singleness doesn't bother me"), minimizing ("yeah, it hurts that I never get to have kids, oh, well, big deal"), along with rationalizing, blaming, intellectualizing, and distracting (like joking about it, or changing the subject)
Now, sure, you could make it bigger than it is. For example, my cat dying and a friend dying should elicit different amounts of mourning. But overreactions to a "minor" loss is usually a sign that there is a
bigger loss that hasn’t been grieved. This goes back to what I mentioned earlier about the different kinds of loves.
A hard part about being single, at least in my experience, is that your church community might not know how to help you in this area. In my experience, pastors, church elders, and most congregants are married, and often married. It's not their fault, really, but they often just ignore you (your struggles with singleness, I mean) or, at best, wave it away with platitudes about "God's timing." But they don't really discuss the problem in depth. But, personally, it's hard for me to get mad about that, really. I mean, the Bible even says more about marriage than it does about singleness, so, understandably, they're going to talk more about marriage. And the Bible doesn't even talk about temporary singleness. It talks about lifelong celibacy. And, when churches talk about this subject, they'll often get very specific about the stuff we
shouldn't do, while giving only platitudes about the stuff we
should do.
Another hard part about this is that I'm not quite sure that "the right one" even exists. God doesn't promise marriage to any of us. How can you trust God to fulfill a promise He never made to you. The idea of a "soulmate'" comes from Greek philosophy and mythology. But the Bible doesn't mention. Jesus said there
is nor marriage in Heaven. And it doesn't seem like Paul believed in "soulmates" (see 1 Corinthians 7:39) Paul didn't say, “Go and find your wife.” He said “Go get married.”
Besides, usually when we think about "the right one" we think about how this person will be right for
me. Not so much the other way around.
And of God's really a Puppetmaster arranging all this stuff, well, then, why did He change the way people get married? Apparently, God "used" to do this sort of thing via arranged marriages at age 14-18. Then God changed His mind and decided to delay marriage until around 18 and make it less arranged by parents, but your spouse was always from your same caste and race. Then, later, God changed His mind again and did away with that sort of thing. More recently, apparently God decided that the early twenties would work better for marriage and He'll bring The One via courting and then later dating. Finally, today, apparently, God has determined that your late twenties or early thirties (more than a decade after you first desire sex

) would be a better time to bring you the The One. The heck is going on?
I'm not sure if "waiting for the right one" is always a good idea. I wouldn't
just "wait" for some partner to show up one day. If you're, say, 25 or older, and you want to marry, and you're still single, you should probably put some serious effort into it. It's not going to "just happen."
It's not a sign of "weak faith" to take action. Isn't it
in acting that our faith is proven? Yes, we need to do it with God. But we still need to
do it.
Some people might also wonder if it's even
OK to be tired of being single. After all, isn't being "content" with your singleness The Good Christian Thing To Do? Well, no. When Paul talks about contentment in Philippians 4, he's talking about our ultimate contentment in God. He also mentions being content
in all things, not
with all things. I think there's a difference. And, in 1 Corinthians 7, Paul even says that, if you're
not content with being single, then maybe it's better for you to marry. Paul
does say that
he, personally, is content with being single. But he
also says that not everyone is like him, and that's fine.