Match Game

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Before internet you could walk into a factory and ask for a job, and they gave it to you on the spot. Well thats what my mum said.
 
AMEN, Brother!!!

I'll hear 22-year-old singles crying, "I'll NEVER find ANYONE!!!" and I know it very much feels that way!!!

But oh my goodness.

I have to bite my tongue -- several times -- and ask God to please keep me from talking down to them the way others did to me, and sometimes still do.

Yeah, I can relate.

"I'll never find anyone!"

Me: "You, know, that is a very real possibility, no matter what you end up doing, you're right!" :LOL: Hope that makes them feel better!
 
  • Haha
Reactions: seoulsearch
On a related note, I'm sure one of the reasons more people are single now is because now there's just more options, which makes it harder to choose. Now you can chat with and date people who live in different cities, states, countries, even. So people have more time to skip over people and look or wait for somebody "better." before, people got married younger, because they didn't know when or if a "better match" would come along.

And maybe people thought a little less about how important physical attraction was. Apparently, one of the theories about the origin of not seeing the bride before the wedding was so that the neither party would make a run for it because they weren’t attracted. :ROFL:

So many people from other generations don't seem to understand this when they say they can't see why it's so hard to find someone.

It's like there's either no choice (nearby) or too many choices (hours, states, or countries away.)

And it doesn't seem to get talked about enough that many in the older generations are experiencing this first-hand.

"Back in their day", they had to marry what was there, or what was economically viable.

But once older people found out they could become financially independent, their kids had grown up, and they could meet a 30-year-old hunk/supermodel on the internet.

I've heard a lot of stories about good married people having dating apps on their phone just to "see what's out there."

In other words, once they realized there were CHOICES...

Well, this is why we're seeing so many "gray" divorces."
 
Before internet you could walk into a factory and ask for a job, and they gave it to you on the spot. Well thats what my mum said.
in america, its true for sure. that's what everyone did who didn't want to go to college. from the late 70's to mid 80's, i also worked in various factories.
 
  • Like
Reactions: seoulsearch
Yeah, I can relate.

"I'll never find anyone!"

Me: "You, know, that is a very real possibility, no matter what you end up doing, you're right!" :LOL: Hope that makes them feel better!

I think about this too.

If I could see myself now at 25 -- I wouldn't have bothered to get out of bed. I would have been like, "There's no use even trying if THAT'S what my life is going to be!!!"

I'm having this situation where God is sending me young people (often in their 20's) who are very discouraged about the future (not just marriage but the economy, politics, etc.) and I honestly don't know what to tell them.

Because I know most young people would never want the path I've been on myself.
 
Hmm I thought this was meant to be a match game, not a 'complain game'

I must be in the wrong thread.

Well anyway I think a good song with harmony is 'More than Words'

but for male female duet I'm picking 'A whole New World' from Aladdin. Short and sweet, but beautiful lyrics. Also has a wonderful ending. Some songs you reach the ending and it's like ...is that all? Or its a looong fade out. You have to end a song on a good note.
 
in america, its true for sure. that's what everyone did who didn't want to go to college. from the late 70's to mid 80's, i also worked in various factories.
I've worked at the same factory my mum worked in for a summer job. I could have stayed, but I remember handing in my notice, because it was school holidays and I wanted some time to myself to enjoy it.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Karlon
Hmm I thought this was meant to be a match game, not a 'complain game'

I must be in the wrong thread.


Well anyway I think a good song with harmony is 'More than Words'

but for male female duet I'm picking 'A whole New World' from Aladdin. Short and sweet, but beautiful lyrics. Also has a wonderful ending. Some songs you reach the ending and it's like ...is that all? Or its a looong fade out. You have to end a song on a good note.

I'm taking it as a thread where singles can talk about the reality of single life.

For myself, I'm likely to be a lot more attracted to those talking about real life experiences rather than just songs for karaoke.

The karaoke is fine too, but I like a real conversation to go with it.

That's just me though. :)
 
So many people from other generations don't seem to understand this when they say they can't see why it's so hard to find someone.

It's like there's either no choice (nearby) or too many choices (hours, states, or countries away.)

And it doesn't seem to get talked about enough that many in the older generations are experiencing this first-hand.

"Back in their day", they had to marry what was there, or what was economically viable.

But once older people found out they could become financially independent, their kids had grown up, and they could meet a 30-year-old hunk/supermodel on the internet.

I've heard a lot of stories about good married people having dating apps on their phone just to "see what's out there."

In other words, once they realized there were CHOICES...

Well, this is why we're seeing so many "gray" divorces."

For sure. It's also easier to isolate these days. I used to live a pretty solitary life, didn't have a lot of close friends, and genuinely preferred being on my own and engaging in solitary hobbies like reading. Of course, that meant that I used to have terrible conversational and social skills. This was around the same time I became a teen and experienced genuine romantic attraction for the first time. And (entirely coincidentally, I'm sure!), no women ever approached me or seemed to express interest.

Gee, how mysterious!

I think in previous historical eras, you were basically forced to become a more social animal, and I'm sure that was good for people who wanted to get married, which is part of the reason more people got married. Imagine that! :ROFL:
 
  • Like
Reactions: seoulsearch
I would do it with complete strangers. You just ask someone, do you know this song, do you want to duet with me? And then you sing it. The words are already there. You don't really have to think about it.
Afterwards, if you want you can talk.
 
Also, I can't think of anything I want to complain about right now.

Singles are great. Singles can make up an album, but they usually just great on their own.

Its always good to have background vocals though. Not many people have the chops to do a complete solo. i.e acapella, no accompaniment, not even instruments. It's not so much about hitting notes though...its timing.

Am sure everyones experienced karaoke, people do it every week in church.
 
I think in previous historical eras, you were basically forced to become a more social animal, and I'm sure that was good for people who wanted to get married, which is part of the reason more people got married. Imagine that! :ROFL:

This is such a good point.

I wrote a poll here a while ago asking who was an introvert vs. extrovert -- I think 17 people answered, and ALL voted introvert. A few said they were a bit of both (which is to be expected,) but I thought it was fascinating.

And of course, it's kind of expected that an online forum would attract more introverts.

I never even realized I was an introvert until I went through situations that forced me to be alone.

I DO wonder about the social implications/challenges for introverts who want to find someone, which is part of why I write the "fluffy" threads.

I'm always hoping people might see answers from others they can connect with (no matter how ridiculous!) and maybe contact that person. :)
 
I would do it with complete strangers. You just ask someone, do you know this song, do you want to duet with me? And then you sing it. The words are already there. You don't really have to think about it.
Afterwards, if you want you can talk.

I think that's a really cool icebreaker for people who like to sing. :)

I'm not one of them, but I can see how this could work for others!
 
@Karlon do you have a question, keep playing or shall we just talk about politics?

Oh golly...

I'm sorry, I haven't asked a question.

What are the rules for asking out someone who works in a store, restaurant, coffee shop, etc. when you're their customer?

Creepy or possible meet cute?
 
This is such a good point.

I wrote a poll here a while ago asking who was an introvert vs. extrovert -- I think 17 people answered, and ALL voted introvert. A few said they were a bit of both (which is to be expected,) but I thought it was fascinating.

And of course, it's kind of expected that an online forum would attract more introverts.

I never even realized I was an introvert until I went through situations that forced me to be alone.

I DO wonder about the social implications/challenges for introverts who want to find someone, which is part of why I write the "fluffy" threads.

I'm always hoping people might see answers from others they can connect with (no matter how ridiculous!) and maybe contact that person. :)

I think that's one of the reasons they had so many balls and dances in previous historical eras, so that young people could learn social skills

Alongside being a high-stakes marriage market where the host had to secretly rescue all the wallflowers by secretly ordering gentlemen to dance with them. These men, of course, had to pretend they were thrilled about it. :ROFL: And, of course, a lady couldn't refuse a dance with a gentleman unless she was already promised to someone else.

I love reading about the Victorian era, it's hilarious. :ROFL:
 
  • Haha
Reactions: seoulsearch
oh next question

You are going to a steampunk festival and have to decide on an outift to wear for your date. What do you pick?
 
oh next question

You are going to a steampunk festival and have to decide on an outift to wear for your date. What do you pick?

I have to decide my date's outfit? A ball gown with a sexy corset and some long gloves, of course.

Ngl, I love that look, so hot. :LOL: