Once saved always saved? Or is salvation conditional on believing and following God's Word?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
BaM, you agree with this, right Hemustincrease? Post #116.

I am curious what made you think of your name...hemustincrease? Must he? Are you speaking of His strength being perfected in our weakness?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Only that our righteousness only comes from Jesus as we believe and follow God's word and that God's promises are conditional.
Do you understand the meaning of imputed righteousness as a gift of God's grace? Please read and study Romans 4 (for starters).

7seasrekeyed

no one be offended but these guys are so adorable

they took all the sammiches though

you don't want to leave me alone too long

I get inventive

Jan 12, 2019
As shown above God's salvation is condtional on believing and following God's Word...

Q1 WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BELIEVE IN GOD?

Applications to believe and not to believe

G4102 Πίστις; pistis word use; OF; TO; THE; ASSURANCE; BELIEF; FEDELITY; From G3982; persuasion, that is, credence ; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly constancy in such profession; by extension the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself: - assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

G4100 πιστεύω; word use is to BELIEVE; TRUST; DO NOT BELIEVE; DID NOT; COMMITTED; Greek word meaning pisteuō From G4102; to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), that is, credit ; by implication to entrust (especially one's spiritual well being to Christ): - believe (-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.

ΚΑΤΑ ΙΩΑΝΝΗΝ 3:15-16 (SBLGNT)
15 ἵνα πᾶς ὁ πιστεύων ἐν αὐτῷ ἔχῃ ζωὴν αἰώνιον. 16 Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον ὥστε τὸν υἱὸν τὸν μονογενῆ ἔδωκεν, ἵνα πᾶς ὁ πιστεύων εἰς αὐτὸν μὴ ἀπόληται ἀλλὰ ἔχῃ ζωὴν αἰώνιον.

To believe translated here is in the present tense verb of doing belief and can be translated; as BELIEVE (present tense), CONTINUING TO BELIEVE AND ACTIVELY BELIEVING

John 3:15-16 (YLT)15 that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during, 16 for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.

The continuing nature of saving faith is underscored by the use of the present tense of the Greek verb pisteuō (“believe”) throughout the gospel of John (cf. 3:15-18, 36; 5:24; 6:35, 40; 7:38; 11:25-26; 12:44, 46; 20:31; also Acts 10:43; 13:39; Romans 1:16; 3:22; 4:5; 9:33; 10:4, 10-11). If believing were a one-time act, the Greek tense in those verses would be aorist.

In fact, the most famous verse in the entire Bible uses a present tense verb that may be translated, “whoever continues believing in him” may have eternal life………….

G4103 πιστός; pistos word use FAITHFUL; BELIEVING; (active faith present tense) From G3982; objectively trustworthy ; subjectively trustful: - believe (-ing, -r), faithful (-ly), sure, true.

G544 ἀπειθέω; word use is to BELIEVE NOT; DO NOT BELIEVE; DO NOT OBEY; DISOBEDIENT; UNBELIEVING; OBEY NOT; Greek word meaning is apeitheō From G545; to disbelieve (wilfully and perversely): - not believe, disobedient, obey not, unbelieving.

G543 ἀπείθεια; word use is UNBELIEF; DISOBEDIENCE Greek word meaning ἀπείθεια; apeitheia From G545; disbelief (obstinate and rebellious): - disobedience, unbelief.

G570 ἀπιστία; word use use is UNBELIEF; DISOBEDIENCE Greek word meaning ἀπιστία; G570 apistia; From G571; faithlessness, that is, (negatively) disbelief (want of Christian faith), or (positively) unfaithfulness (disobedience): - unbelief.

G545 ἀπειθής; word use is to be DISOBEDIENT Greek word meaning G545 ἀπειθής; apeithēs From G1 (as a negative particle) and G3982; unpersuadable, that is, contumacious: - disobedient.

G571 ἄπιστος; word use means to be FAITHLESS; UNBELIEVERS; BELIEVES NOT; UNBELIEVING; THEM THAT DO NOT BELIEVE; Greek word meaning ἄπιστος; Apistos; From G1 (as a negative particle) and G4103; (actively) disbelieving, that is, without Christian faith (specifically a heathen); (passively) untrustworthy (person), or incredible (thing): - that believeth not, faithless, incredible thing, infidel, unbeliever (-ing).

A1. To BELIEVE God means to rely upon God's word to do what it says it will do and and follow what God says. Salvation is conditional on believing and following God's word always in the "present tense" conditional particle.

Hope this is a blessing, much love in the Lord Jesus...
Let's use Romans 5:12-19 as a framework to understand OSAS.

A person who is born of Adam is born "in sin". He has a sinful nature that made God rejects him.

If he, however, tries his very best to avoid doing wicked deeds, and tries his best to keep on doing good deeds, does God still reject him?

What I am asking is this simple question, "Is God's rejection of him, conditioned on him doing sinful deeds?"

7seasrekeyed

I have always said that any work/fruit is a product of Christ doing it through us as a living sacrifice.....HE is the one that produces....we but bear it.....!!

that's what I understood also while drumming my fingers...

are good works what might be described as the 'duty' of believers?

Bible study, attending church regularly, giving from our resources, mission trips, loving our neighbor?

we understand that not only are certain things acceptable to God but we have actually been CREATED to do them!

so it might behoove us to understand what actually are/is what God has in mind

we have to understand the language of the day...to walk IN something, means to engage with your life

12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Romans 12:1

so while the idea of being good little boys and girls may have a certain appeal..especially for those who pride themselves on good behavior...that is not the point OR the meaning

SO

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Colossians 3:17

I have always said that any work/fruit is a product of Christ doing it through us as a living sacrifice.....HE is the one that produces....we but bear it.....!!
yeah so I didn't want to give it away but you agree with scripture

Dec 12, 2013
that's what I understood also while drumming my fingers...

are good works what might be described as the 'duty' of believers?

Bible study, attending church regularly, giving from our resources, mission trips, loving our neighbor?

we understand that not only are certain things acceptable to God but we have actually been CREATED to do them!

so it might behoove us to understand what actually are/is what God has in mind

we have to understand the language of the day...to walk IN something, means to engage with your life

12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Romans 12:1

so while the idea of being good little boys and girls may have a certain appeal..especially for those who pride themselves on good behavior...that is not the point OR the meaning

SO

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Colossians 3:17

yeah so I didn't want to give it away but you agree with scripture
I think we make it too big of a deal.....what I mean by that is the following....

a. The root produces and the vine/branches just bear it
b. We concentrate on things to big....for example....JESUS said a cup of cold water given to a BELIEVER in the name of JESUS would not go unnoticed and or unrewarded.....

too many are overly concerned with the big things....I have always said that God is more interested in the little things..........

7seasrekeyed

I think we make it too big of a deal.....what I mean by that is the following....

a. The root produces and the vine/branches just bear it
b. We concentrate on things to big....for example....JESUS said a cup of cold water given to a BELIEVER in the name of JESUS would not go unnoticed and or unrewarded.....

too many are overly concerned with the big things....I have always said that God is more interested in the little things..........

I don't disagree. but it seems you cannot overstate it when folks want to flash 'works' cards and ask for the phonetic spelling (interpretation)

Jesus did not pass simple things over...what He said about the sparrow...I wonder how He felt when just one leper came back to thank Him

everybody wants 'a ministry' but who wants to minister?

I'm not preaching...just thinking out loud

and the children...made time for them...and so many other things

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Once someone is in Christ, nothing can take that one out of Christ. Once someone is in the body of Christ, that person cannot be taken out of the body of Christ. If Jesus came from heaven to earth and died on the cross to save his own, he will not abandon his own when they sin or go astray. As the good shepherd, he seeks out the sheep that go astray and brings us back on a good path.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Do you know what a Gross Conceptual Error is?

Lots of people who read the bible have Gross Conceptual Errors that they bring with them and filter everything through.

A Gross Conceptual Error is a complete misunderstanding of the subject matter that takes a person down a completely different path than the one intended by a correct understanding of the subject matter.

These verses should clear it up;

John 5:39-40
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Do you understand what that's saying? Its saying that its NOT the bible that will save you. Its the Lord Jesus Christ that will save you.

Its not a correct understanding of scripture that will keep you saved. Its the Lord Jesus Christ that will keep you saved.

No amount of good works through your understanding and strength can be a substitute for Christ.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
ALL the "if's" listed DO NOT alleviate and or change the TRUTH of my 1st post in this thread.....the bible does not contradict itself....it does NOT teach a conditional salvation.....it does teach a conditional FELLOWSHIP based upon faithful service and walking in the light......

and like I have said....EVERY MAN/WOMAN that peddles a LOSABLE salvation maintained by SELF EFFORT will ALL say they have NEVER LOST IT and YET people who believe in eternal security are as LOST as a GOOSE.....is is hilariously tragic, dishonest and contrary to the truth.

JESUS SAID--->I WILL LOSE NOTHING <----IF ONE MAN or WOMAN loses SALVATION then this VERSE IS A LIE

The BIBLE does NOT contradict itself

NOT by WORKS of righteousness which we have done <---IF ONE AN or WOMAN MUST MAINTAIN IT BY OBEDIENCE this verse is a LIE

The BIBLE does not contradict itself

WE are KEPT by the POWER of GOD through faith <---IF one MAN or WOMAN LOSES IT or MUST maintain it this VERSE IS A LIE

The BIBLE does NOT contradict ITSELF

JESUS BEGINS, FINISHES and COMPLETES the work of faith in US <---IF ONE man or WOMAN loses faith and loses salvation this VERSE IS A LIE

THE BIBLE does not contradict itself

I can go on ALL night like this....and that is the POINT that MOST cannot grasp...to say it can be lost or maintained BY MAN contradicts the WORD OF GOD and PITS it against itself!!!!
Appreciated bro.

I've oft wrestled with the concept, because there is a false version of salvation that masquerades as truth...it's just hard to tell for certain people that aren't intentionally preaching it.

I have my own doubts, but this has helped me a bit as some ammo for my own inner dialogue :)

My question is not whether or not you can lose it, but if you even have it in the first place. Like "the form of godliness but denying the power thereof" scripture and what exactly that means. I believe that he is mighty to save yes, but I also believe that each person has their own unique standard to bear up under (cross to bear possibly?), with discipline and correction along the way as we are maturing (sanctification). So there is some type of inward change with consistent progression throughout our lives. If not, I would be seriously concerned about them.

I think each person's daily crucifixion of the flesh looks different and I'm not going to judge them unilaterally, just question them and their salvation. Privately. In my own mind. It does however raise questions in my prayer life that seemingly go unanswered.

Like knowing someone is living in sin and claims to follow Christ...I just wonder, is your pastor not teaching correctly or are you in willful rebellion and how is that even possible? Then consequently feeling guilty for not pointing it out.

A particular person came to mind, so I will think about how to broach the subject.

Some other questions I was pondering seemed to answer themselves so that's cool :)

So almost a pointless post except that where I am right now made a lot more sense typing it out so that's certainly something to praise about!

For me a lot of this gets confusing because one of my earliest memories was when I asked Jesus to come into my heart and to save me so I just don't have much else to compare it to.

Except that it has been a constant battle my whole life. Filled with tons of vain imagination that I didn't realize until much later were "unproductive" at the very best. At worst...harlotry. Certainly has been with lust...and certain other things that I won't mention at present, just that the enemy hasn't ever been far away for me and the personal nature of the attacks get confusing...

I'd certainly like to explain what my lifelong journey has been like but I can in no way do so. There are certain doubts that I have that I don't believe can be explained with fleshly limitations. Like we can't see in the perfect as we are imperfect. We are being perfected certainly...and I am constantly surprised at the process of sanctification. I rarely take a trip down memory lane intentionally but I can't even fathom half of the headspaces I've been in, certain sins are super far removed from me that it's almost like they didn't even happen. That wasn't me...but it was me? I am now a new me? Did that make me unsaved before? Am I even saved now? Is this what sanctification looks like? Months feel like years sometimes and I feel "old"...but young at the same time.

I think it's possible I go astray a lot...in my own thinking and he brings me back.

Or potentially I am deluded, was not saved to begin with, my whole life is a lie and I won't ever be...I rebuke thoughts like that.

At present I'm just resting in Phillipians 2:12 and that it's a process of understanding what it means personally. Like the work of the word...in my own personal life, in situations, at work. I read scripture a lot of places but mostly it's just for confirmation that I'm on the right track sometimes. Not in some other footrace on a different "way".

Other times it's like a banquet or a meager meal (if I'm lazy/tired).

I suppose I've expounded a good bit in other threads and will continue to do so. Thanks once again for putting it like that.

I often wonder if sometimes our disagreements would come out rather different in person when we actually met the person. I can feel an "echo" of them online but it's fainter and possibly that could be factored in some fashion.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Like knowing someone is living in sin and claims to follow Christ..
Take the advice of James if you wish to approach this person:

Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins. (James 5:19,20)

"do err from the truth" includes sinning as well as false doctrine. Perhaps this person has not really been regenerated and converted. Or has not been baptized or discipled. It is up to you to probe and present biblical answers directly from Scripture.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Take the advice of James if you wish to approach this person:

Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins. (James 5:19,20)

"do err from the truth" includes sinning as well as false doctrine. Perhaps this person has not really been regenerated and converted. Or has not been baptized or discipled. It is up to you to probe and present biblical answers directly from Scripture.
I appreciate it.

I may end up passing the burden along to my sister who is married, because I always feel super awkward about certain things. I'm not sure where it is in scripture or if it is...but it's common practice in the church to bring up certain issues female on female and male on male. Feels somewhat inappropriate otherwise somehow. Kind of why I've left it alone. Your thoughts?

Tis pretty cool though because that option just sort of opened up when reading your post :)

At least I shall talk to her about it first, because I know it was a burden for her in the past and she wrestled with it.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
A Gross Conceptual Error is a complete misunderstanding of the subject matter that takes a person down a completely different path than the one intended by a correct understanding of the subject matter.
You are not just suffering from Gross conceptual Error you are also doctrinally delusional.
Do you understand what that's saying? Its saying that its NOT the bible that will save you. Its the Lord Jesus Christ that will save you.
Jesus is the word of God therefore believing and obeying the word of God will lead one to salvation.
You cannot preach the gospel of salvation without opening up one's Bible and going through the scriptures.
You cannot deny Mark 16:15-20 and Acts 2:38 for example and think you have Jesus separate from scripture.
It is scripture (the word of God) that convicts a person to repent and then to believe in who Jesus is …

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
What I am asking is this simple question, "Is God's rejection of him, conditioned on him doing sinful deeds?"
4 Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine: the soul who sins shall die.
5 “If a man is righteous and does what is just and right—
9 walks in my statutes, and keeps my rules by acting faithfully —he is righteous; he shall surely live, declares the Lord GOD.
20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son.
The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.
21 But if a wicked person turns away from all his sins that he has committed and keeps all my statutes and does what is just and right,
he shall surely live; he shall not die.

22 None of the transgressions that he has committed shall be remembered against him; for the righteousness that he has done
he shall live.

23 Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?
Ezekiel 18: (ESV)

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Once someone is in Christ, nothing can take that one out of Christ. Once someone is in the body of Christ, that person cannot be taken out of the body of Christ. If Jesus came from heaven to earth and died on the cross to save his own, he will not abandon his own when they sin or go astray. As the good shepherd, he seeks out the sheep that go astray and brings us back on a good path.
A good shepherd indeed may well seek to find his strayed and lost sheep … but not all sheep want to return to the flock.
OSAS confuses the scriptures about God's faithfulness and protection with the responsibilities of believers or disciples to
uphold our part - faithfulness > remaining steadfast and true.
Many do not do this and are lost back into the world and back to Satan.
Read the parable of the sower and the seed - only one in four seeds cast on the soil grows to produce grain.
Not all run to finish the race and to claim the prize.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
@Hemustincrease
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you,
unless you abide in me.
5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you
can do nothing.
6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire,
and burned.

7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
John 15: (ESV)
Here is clear warning from Jesus as to consequences for falling away (departing from the faith) > death
so much for OSAS nonsense.