Potato Chips, Chicken McNuggets, and Mac'n'Cheese -- What are Your Favorite Comfort Foods and Routines?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
And now I'm wondering how many people hang signs on their bathrooms that say something like, "WARNING: Enter This Room AT YOUR OWN RISK. Side Effects May Include Nausea, Upset Stomach, and DEATH." :oops::eek::ROFL:
Yeah ive had that happen to where some people are so offensive with it that it actually makes me want to fight back because i feel like i was assaulted physically.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Ice cream used to be my comfort food... until I discovered that my favourite brand contains soybean oil.

Yes, SOYBEAN OIL.

What the HE** were they thinking? Ice cream is supposed to be made from CREAM. Real dairy CREAM, from a cow, not hyper-processed estrogenic sludge.

I'm so upset that I need comfort food....
What brand is this? If they used soybean oil and the label said ice cream, they done be lyin'! That's "frozen dessert," not "ice cream."

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Answering the thread title instead of the OP: My comfort food when I come home from a hectic day at w*rk is I like to pour a mug of homemade boiled custard and sip it while I unwind. I personally think I make a doggone good boiled custard.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
At times prunes can be a comfort food, a natural in helping things along. Just stay close to the 'restroom' lol.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
At times prunes can be a comfort food, a natural in helping things along. Just stay close to the 'restroom' lol.
Oddly enough, I was actually craving prunes just the other day.

As for their super power, I seem to have a bit of an immunity.

TMI I know 😂, but it's just another one of those weird areas where I seem to zig where everyone else zags.

I mean, I couldn't actually have a USEFUL immunity... No, of course not. 😒

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
chips
chips
chips

anything potatoey

otherwise, pillows and blankets for me which is happening RIGHT NOW as I type as have a head cold and still hasnt dissipated

oh and. a good book. That is why my bookshelf is never empty. If it starts running low, I need to go to the library to get more.

Of course this condition of book addiction is undiagnosed and under the radar since I have a respectable job as a librarian and that is seen as normal for librarians to be reading books...if only people knew.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What brand is this? If they used soybean oil and the label said ice cream, they done be lyin'! That's "frozen dessert," not "ice cream."
Breyers' "Heavenly Hash". I suspect that Heaven is not pleased at all about the gross misrepresentation.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
chips
chips
chips

anything potatoey

otherwise, pillows and blankets for me which is happening RIGHT NOW as I type as have a head cold and still hasnt dissipated

oh and. a good book. That is why my bookshelf is never empty. If it starts running low, I need to go to the library to get more.

Of course this condition of book addiction is undiagnosed and under the radar since I have a respectable job as a librarian and that is seen as normal for librarians to be reading books...if only people knew.
Pillows and reading material are always a good bet, even when not feeling sick.

Praying your head cold clears soon and that you feel better, Lanolin! 🧸📚 🌹

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Im currently reading some heavy tomes as ran out of paperbacks like Danielle Steel or comics

A friend gave me a book called 'In order to live' about a girl who escapes from North Korea , she said I had to read it...

I think thats a common theme with books, escape from your birth country...though a lot of books are about people from other countries coming to live to NZ not many people write about unhappy nzers escaping nz to other countries although they do it all the time lol

well now they do because lockdowns have ended and now theres apparently a mass exodus to Australia if you believe the media.

I figured if we still had Georgie Pie, people wouldnt want to leave.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Hey Everyone,

A recent bout with (for me at least) a systematic preventative but not-particularly-pleasant medical routine currently had me thinking about what I personally do when I'm not feeling well physically, emotionally, or spiritually.

First, I made a "nest" for myself consisting of a plethora of (usually 4) pillows and (at least 2) fluffy blankets. Next, I queued up and listened to a sermon from a church I used to attend in another area for a bit of a spiritual boost.

And finally, I had to throw in a little bit of Ultimate Carbie Comfort: saltine crackers and/or potato chips, which are my staple food when I'm not feeling up to par, a can of Sprite (with a straw, of course! You know it's serious when straws are involved,) and maybe later, some mac'n'cheese. Now I know it will probably make some people sick just reading this, but for some reason, junk/fast food is always my first choice when I'm sick (not exactly a healthy decision, I know.) But my normal diet consists of a lot of eggs and vegetables, and those just don't cut it when I'm so nauseous that I can only stand for a couple minutes at a time.

I blame the fact that as a teen, I had a longer-than-expected hospital stay during which I begged my parents to bring me McDonald's "food" because I thought I would starve on all the bland hospital offerings, and so ever since that time, it's been "normal" for me to crave french fries, Chicken McNuggets (specifically McNuggets -- no other brand tastes the same!) and at home, as an easier, cheaper, and fast alternative for something salty, Kraft (gots to be Kraft!) boxed mac'n'cheese.

I guess the good thing about having relatively cheap tastes in comfort food is that it allows me to save more money for the medical bills! :unsure:

How about the rest of you?

* What are some typical symptoms you always get when you're not feeling well spiritually, mentally, or physically?

* What care routines have you developed to help you recover?

* What are some of your favorite items, foods, and things that you do (or don't do) that you always find soothing?

One of the challenges I find about single life is having to manage our own health care by ourselves, so I think it's interesting to find out how other singles navigate this as well.

Thank you all for sharing, and may God bless your health and well-being in all ways. :)
I exercise fairly regularly, eat lots of fish, but I do fall into the comfort food thing, mostly with sugar. McD's is another comfort food source, though I only do that maybe twice a month (I remember when I was 20, I could eat McD's every day and maintain a weight of 150lbs... Ugh.. Of course, I was also working in a restaurant and played sports on the weekends).

J

JAPOV

When I'm ill I crave sweet lemon tea and, this is gonna' sound weird... canned beets. Not pickled, just plain beets. I'll eat'em right out of the can lol.

Junk food? Double quarter pounder, large fry, and a coca-cola icy please :cool:
Especially if I skipped lunch.

I like to add hot Italian sausage, mushrooms, and extra sharp cheddar to my mac-n-cheese :p

T

TheIndianGirl

If I am unwell, I drink different types of herbal tea with honey. I stay in bed, and either watch a show or read (either online or a book). I also make chicken and rice soup with some veggies and lots of ginger (this is my go to meal if I am feeling sick). Another dish I like to eat when I am sick is spicy/curried canned tuna (with rice separate); I put lots of spices and also add a lot of ginger. If I don't feel like spending a lot of time cooking, I just cook rice, fry two eggs, and steam some vegetables. Another favorite, when I was at my old apartment, was walking to a pho place nearby.

T

TheIndianGirl

For comfort foods:

Chicken salad sandwich
Thai drunken noodles
Rice, fried eggs, and daal
Burger and fries
Rice pudding
A plate with cheese, crackers, grapes, baby carrots, and dip (there is a risk that I will continue to eat cheese and crackers unless someone stops me)

J

JAPOV

If I am unwell, I drink different types of herbal tea with honey. I stay in bed, and either watch a show or read (either online or a book). I also make chicken and rice soup with some veggies and lots of ginger (this is my go to meal if I am feeling sick). Another dish I like to eat when I am sick is spicy/curried canned tuna (with rice separate); I put lots of spices and also add a lot of ginger. If I don't feel like spending a lot of time cooking, I just cook rice, fry two eggs, and steam some vegetables. Another favorite, when I was at my old apartment, was walking to a pho place nearby.
Sometimes I like ginger in my tea :)
But, please tell me more about curried tuna! :unsure:

Hazelelponi

Jul 8, 2019
USA
Hey Everyone,

A recent bout with (for me at least) a systematic preventative but not-particularly-pleasant medical routine currently had me thinking about what I personally do when I'm not feeling well physically, emotionally, or spiritually.

First, I made a "nest" for myself consisting of a plethora of (usually 4) pillows and (at least 2) fluffy blankets. Next, I queued up and listened to a sermon from a church I used to attend in another area for a bit of a spiritual boost.

And finally, I had to throw in a little bit of Ultimate Carbie Comfort: saltine crackers and/or potato chips, which are my staple food when I'm not feeling up to par, a can of Sprite (with a straw, of course! You know it's serious when straws are involved,) and maybe later, some mac'n'cheese. Now I know it will probably make some people sick just reading this, but for some reason, junk/fast food is always my first choice when I'm sick (not exactly a healthy decision, I know.) But my normal diet consists of a lot of eggs and vegetables, and those just don't cut it when I'm so nauseous that I can only stand for a couple minutes at a time.

I blame the fact that as a teen, I had a longer-than-expected hospital stay during which I begged my parents to bring me McDonald's "food" because I thought I would starve on all the bland hospital offerings, and so ever since that time, it's been "normal" for me to crave french fries, Chicken McNuggets (specifically McNuggets -- no other brand tastes the same!) and at home, as an easier, cheaper, and fast alternative for something salty, Kraft (gots to be Kraft!) boxed mac'n'cheese.

I guess the good thing about having relatively cheap tastes in comfort food is that it allows me to save more money for the medical bills! :unsure:

How about the rest of you?

* What are some typical symptoms you always get when you're not feeling well spiritually, mentally, or physically?

* What care routines have you developed to help you recover?

* What are some of your favorite items, foods, and things that you do (or don't do) that you always find soothing?

One of the challenges I find about single life is having to manage our own health care by ourselves, so I think it's interesting to find out how other singles navigate this as well.

Thank you all for sharing, and may God bless your health and well-being in all ways. :)
I'm with you... Lots of pillows (about 6), my warm fuzzy pajamas (even in summer), my soft fuzzy blankets and various casseroles.. there's Southern Goulash, Chicken and Spaghetti, Tuna Casserole so on and so forth.

I got into the whole casserole thing because it's one and done for a couple days... Casserole both meals, no muss no fuss...

It's habit now, and if I'm sick - this is life...lol

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Jook

or rice porridge...its a chinese thing
it doesnt go well with cheese or potato chips, but is very satisfying

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Major ugh. LOL :giggle:

I think for comfort I would read Jane Austen :) Again ;) For the umpteenth time :LOL:

Although I would hate to overdo it...

Nothing like having a fave and making yourself sick of it through overexposure :censored::cry:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Major ugh. LOL :giggle:

I think for comfort I would read Jane Austen :) Again ;) For the umpteenth time :LOL:

Although I would hate to overdo it...

Nothing like having a fave and making yourself sick of it through overexposure :censored::cry:

sometimes need predictable candy floss with pseudo happy endings, which is pretty much what any Danielle Steel novel promises.

I used to read Gone with the Wind over and over and watch the movie too, as it was long and the costumes were like...what is Scarlett wearing now?

Or Friends

another chick flick that I actually watched again last night was a reboot of Sex and the city called 'And just like that'. I think a lot watch it for the costumes cos Carrie is always in a different outfit looking fab or unusual even when shes being totally self centred and dramatic over her terrible relarionship with Mr Big.

You'll be like..what, he was horrible to you Carrie! But your dress sense is amazing like a woman playing dressups all the time. Tell me you didnt marry him just because he offered you a huge walk in wardrobe.