Psychics, magicians, fortune tellers, astrologers and faith healers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I didn't post those sources above for nothing, you have to read them or at least watch them to understand the principles of evolution, claims like "What did that life select from what to get started what was the gene drift in the beginning of life "
Evolution is not a theory to explain how life came to be on Earth, but how it diversifies. You show clear lack on understanding of what evolution is and what it is meant to explain.

Abiogenesis, or informally the (origin of life) is the theory of how life as we know started and it has many hypothesise, There is no single, generally accepted model for the origin of life. Scientists have proposed several plausible hypotheses, which share some common elements. While differing in the details, these hypotheses are based on the framework laid out by Alexander Oparin in early 1900s basically stating that all life began from from single self replicating cell.

If you have a bone to pick with the scientific hypothesises presented point out what are your points of contention and I will try to clarify.
Where did this single self replicating cell come from? Whether or not any of the proposed origin of life hypothesis by scientists are plausible is a matter of opinion. In my opinion not only are they not plausible but rather impossible. Consider the big bang theory, what created the matter that exploded in the first place. It doesn't take a scientist to know that if you take a whole bunch of nothing, it can not be expected that you end up with a whole lot of something, densely compressed until it explodes. Another implausible hypothesis or theory.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Of course all you can do is judge from your point of view,
The same applies to you until you accept God's view.
you claim I didn't engage in Faith while in reality, I did for nearly 7 years with out questioning and 4 years before that with out understanding it.
Did you believe you were born again? Did you have an encounter with the Living Lord? If you did, why do you now reject it as evidence? If you did not, why did you believe you were saved?

We don't have to do every experiment to know the hypothesis has been proven and in turn they become theories, look at gravitational theory, germ theory of disease, plate tectonics theory, electromagnetic theory or quantum theory all of these have working understanding of the physical world and can be used to make accurate predictions if you invest the time to understand them.
This boils down to whom you accept as an authority. You have decided to accept scientific explanations with no less proof than you were given for accepting the veracity of Scripture, yet because your priorities are what they are, you accept one and reject the other.

But remaining in ignorance and just denying yourself to all knowledge because you hold to a specific belief leaves you just where you started when you where born, if not in a worse position.
This holds true for you as well, but I dare say you cannot see it.

I think proving God would be as easy as proving one bit of so called supernatural to be real, if its not why assume there is a God that we can know. Bible in this point is clearly wrong and this will be my view until I have even a shred of evidence to lean the other way.
Science and the scientific method are for studying the natural world, not the supernatural.

Strangest thing about becoming an atheist is people never ask why I became an atheist, they just make assumptions that I had some bad experience, loss of a loved one not having the right theology, never actually being born again, being deceived and so on... In reality its much simpler then that I don't believe because I realised all the "evidence" was just the bible verses which where actually just assertions never backed by any evidence.
We know why you are an atheist. Why would you think we need to ask? You do not believe because you suffer the common condition of the unregenerate. Nobody is born a believer.

Oct 29, 2019
The same applies to you until you accept God's view.
Did you believe you were born again? Did you have an encounter with the Living Lord? If you did, why do you now reject it as evidence? If you did not, why did you believe you were saved?

This boils down to whom you accept as an authority. You have decided to accept scientific explanations with no less proof than you were given for accepting the veracity of Scripture, yet because your priorities are what they are, you accept one and reject the other.

This holds true for you as well, but I dare say you cannot see it.

Science and the scientific method are for studying the natural world, not the supernatural.

We know why you are an atheist. Why would you think we need to ask? You do not believe because you suffer the common condition of the unregenerate. Nobody is born a believer.
I encountered something and it made me feel safe and fuzzy inside for about 2 years, but then I realised I just successfully lied to myself. The feeling can be caused by many different factors physiologist informally call it "imaginary friend syndrome" I wanted to believe so badly that I did with out question, My reasons for wanting to believe where also environmental, people around me wher christians, I read the bible everyday and talked with other people about eschatology, watched "creationism documentaries" and so on... this lead me towards street preaching where I heard many people say "you just can't put yourself in our shoes when having a discussion","You will not look into this because you have a bias" or "you are just being dishonest" I had to prove them wrong of course
I knew that I had the "truth" thats why I went out on the street after all, But when I went out to prove supernatual, faith healing, miracles I couldn't find even one authentic one... It made me wounder WHY ? I mean the bible after all talks about miracles happening "Left and Right" all across the Book. Now at that stage I had many doubts, was the bible just a book written by mere men who wanted control over the masses ? I decided to Go out into nature, fast, pray and ask god to give me the answer...

He never answered... This lead me to even more doubt, was god not real ? was everything I experienced fake or just my own emotions and preconceived Ideas I had in regards to what I was feeling... I felt good and safe - It has to be the holy spirit. At that same time I stared studying psychology and reading books about economy because it was very relevant to my position. I learned that the experience I felt in that church was possible to replicate in pretty much every religion, its called the placebo effect or wishful thinking.

As I said: I was once a devout Christian, who now feels like they just woke up out a strange, yet pleasant dream.
Knowing that you are being honest with yourself is one of the most liberating things out there. When I started having doubts I kept on shutting them down, by saying it's the devil who is trying to deceive me and I would go back to the bible to read a few verses about the truthfulness of Gods word. This went on for about 2 years after the first questions started coming to my head and it physically hurt not being able to trust God fully as I used to I would repeat to myself I will not become the casualty of this spiritual war and here I am now
feeling happier then I ever did realising its time to put away childish things and start thinking rather then do what I was told in a book written by ancient tribe goat herders.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I encountered something and it made me feel safe and fuzzy inside for about 2 years, but then I realised I just successfully lied to myself. The feeling can be caused by many different factors physiologist informally call it "imaginary friend syndrome" I wanted to believe so badly that I did with out question, My reasons for wanting to believe where also environmental, people around me wher christians, I read the bible everyday and talked with other people about eschatology, watched "creationism documentaries" and so on... this lead me towards street preaching where I heard many people say "you just can't put yourself in our shoes when having a discussion","You will not look into this because you have a bias" or "you are just being dishonest" I had to prove them wrong of course
I knew that I had the "truth" thats why I went out on the street after all, But when I went out to prove supernatual, faith healing, miracles I couldn't find even one authentic one... It made me wounder WHY ? I mean the bible after all talks about miracles happening "Left and Right" all across the Book. Now at that stage I had many doubts, was the bible just a book written by mere men who wanted control over the masses ? I decided to Go out into nature, fast, pray and ask god to give me the answer...

He never answered... This lead me to even more doubt, was god not real ? was everything I experienced fake or just my own emotions and preconceived Ideas I had in regards to what I was feeling... I felt good and safe - It has to be the holy spirit. At that same time I stared studying psychology and reading books about economy because it was very relevant to my position. I learned that the experience I felt in that church was possible to replicate in pretty much every religion, its called the placebo effect or wishful thinking.

As I said: I was once a devout Christian, who now feels like they just woke up out a strange, yet pleasant dream.
Knowing that you are being honest with yourself is one of the most liberating things out there. When I started having doubts I kept on shutting them down, by saying it's the devil who is trying to deceive me and I would go back to the bible to read a few verses about the truthfulness of Gods word. This went on for about 2 years after the first questions started coming to my head and it physically hurt not being able to trust God fully as I used to I would repeat to myself I will not become the casualty of this spiritual war and here I am now
feeling happier then I ever did realising its time to put away childish things and start thinking rather then do what I was told in a book written by ancient tribe goat herders.
I don't even need to read this whole post to see what your error is.

You relied on your feelings, instead of Truth. You epitomize the second soil in Jesus' parable:
Matthew 13:5-6 New King James Version (NKJV)
5 Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; and they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth. 6 But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away.
Matthew 13:20-21 New King James Version (NKJV)
20 But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; 21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles.

You will notice this person had NO ROOT. JESUS, is the Root. So this person was never saved to begin with.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Of course all you can do is judge from your point of view, you claim I didn't engage in Faith while in reality, I did for nearly 7 years with out questioning and 4 years before that with out understanding it.

We don't have to do every experiment to know the hypothesis has been proven and in turn they become theories, look at gravitational theory, germ theory of disease, plate tectonics theory, electromagnetic theory or quantum theory all of these have working understanding of the physical world and can be used to make accurate predictions if you invest the time to understand them.

But remaining in ignorance and just denying yourself to all knowledge because you hold to a specific belief leaves you just where you started when you where born, if not in a worse position.

I think proving God would be as easy as proving one bit of so called supernatural to be real, if its not why assume there is a God that we can know. Bible in this point is clearly wrong and this will be my view until I have even a shred of evidence to lean the other way.

Strangest thing about becoming an atheist is people never ask why I became an atheist, they just make assumptions that I had some bad experience, loss of a loved one, not having the right theology, never actually being born again, being deceived and so on... In reality its much simpler then that I don't believe because I realised all the "evidence" was just the bible verses which where actually just assertions never backed by any evidence.
Many native cultures believe that we are born with all of the knowledge we need and then we start to decline.

Jun 10, 2019
He never said something comes from nothing, he stated life began from the first self replicating cell.
and that’s impossible for even science starts with a formula a design a creation, it’s a little boggling people create all kinds of things from scratch with bare elements yet creation has no ability to create things with thought it’s all by chance blind interaction gene drift self replicating until you get to humans than it all changes we now can design cars planes computers jet fuel space craft while the rest of nature continues to do blind interaction gene drift with no thought.

can you explain how humans got to a point of thinking for its self, was just a fluke in nature that humans think ponder and wonder

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I usually found it boring, but I lived in Las Vegas for over 8 years. My favroite trick was by a comedian that used to tell a joke about having acraving to run around naked but he found the cure. Then he produced a Windex bottle, drank from it and said, "See, no more streaks."

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

Your testimony says nothing about having repented of your sin and having trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation.

Oct 29, 2019
Your testimony says nothing about having repented of your sin and having trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation.
You never wrote about being saved, does that mean you where not saved ?
Yes, I accepted Jesus into my heart, repented of my sins and followed what was written in the bible.

Oct 29, 2019
and that’s impossible for even science starts with a formula a design a creation, it’s a little boggling people create all kinds of things from scratch with bare elements yet creation has no ability to create things with thought it’s all by chance blind interaction gene drift self replicating until you get to humans than it all changes we now can design cars planes computers jet fuel space craft while the rest of nature continues to do blind interaction gene drift with no thought.

can you explain how humans got to a point of thinking for its self, was just a fluke in nature that humans think ponder and wonder
Yes. we got to a point of thinking because we developed the brain to solve problems, not because we wanted it, but because only the people who had the ability to solve problems through analytical thinking survived and ones that didn't died out and then the more adapt genes propagated. You clearly don't understand evolution if you are asking questions like this.

Oct 29, 2019

You relied on your feelings, instead of Truth. You epitomize the second soil in Jesus' parable:
5 Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; and they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth. 6 But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away.
20 But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; 21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles.

You will notice this person had NO ROOT. JESUS, is the Root. So this person was never saved to begin with.
Easy for you to say, If you don't understand what I was trying to explain, don't make assumptions you should ask, I was talking about my psychological state, while being in that social circle at the time, I was not trying to explain how I got saved, because I assumed you already knew what that is meant to look like, so it would be redundant to explain again. but here it is for your own sake I'll repeat it again "Repent of your sin and put your faith in Jesus."

Oct 29, 2019
Many native cultures believe that we are born with all of the knowledge we need and then we start to decline.
Beliefs are interesting to look into, but they are pointless and void if they have no evidence to back them.

Oct 29, 2019

Doesn't it say in Matthew 7:1-2 Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. I can see you are an ignorant person who thinks they are right with out even investigating the claims, who follows their biased beliefs and are unable to look from another persons stand point.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Easy for you to say, If you don't understand what I was trying to explain, don't make assumptions you should ask, I was talking about my psychological state, while being in that social circle at the time, I was not trying to explain how I got saved, because I assumed you already knew what that is meant to look like, so it would be redundant to explain again. but here it is for your own sake I'll repeat it again "Repent of your sin and put your faith in Jesus."
There are TWO elements of Salvation. Confess with your mouth AND believe in your heart. We can only see the 1st element. But this much I know. You DID NOT have a true conversion. You fall into this category of people:
1 John 2:19 New King James Version (NKJV)
19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Doesn't it say in Matthew 7:1-2 Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. I can see you are an ignorant person who thinks they are right with out even investigating the claims, who follows their biased beliefs and are unable to look from another persons stand point.
How have I judged you? YOU, were the one that told us you are an unbeliever.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I decided to Go out into nature, fast, pray and ask god to give me the answer...

Well, this has been the realest you have been about the "why" behind your disbelief. Or at least in a way that I feel led/able to interact with. My views are pretty well developed and yet I still have a "fantastical" image of God that "needs work". I won't get into the source of these views or magic vs faith. You should understand enough of that dichotomy, based off other things you have mentioned that I don't feel are appropriate to explain, certainly not publicly.

Have you considered the story of Job? That the enemy was granted a request? Why is this even in scripture?
I'm not going to go down a rabbit trail and have a dark discussion (I would if it were face to face probably). So there's one thing
you could potentially factor in to your ideology about a past "memory construct" of your own "placebo". I carry my views since my earliest memories and it is still possible to take a disassociated glance and simulate a bit for the sake of exploration. There is a dark side to the Lord if the lake of fire does indeed exist. It is considerably darker than anything the enemy can imitate as it is perfect. That's "a" view of the Lord that I maintain but I can't focus too much on wrath until it's time for wrath. Privately it is meted, and occasionally publicly, but it is not a worldwide reality.

So you fasted and you were looking for what exactly? I'm not being cynical or insulting here btw...it's just that I recently went on a fast and had no reason for fasting and was rooted in my own stubbornness to "test the waters" and it did not end well. I had no particular purpose except that I felt like I should for quite a while and then it was kind of just curiosity at what would happen. So as a primer, know that I have fasted with a contentious heart. I think the Lord still saw and forgave me and released me from what I was doing and whatever I had coupled with in the process...but I most certainly had to sweat it out.

David fasted 2nd Samuel 12: 16-20. Did the Lord change his mind? Nothing happened. The child died.
Paul wasn't told to fast after his Damascus experience but he did...are we told why?

There are several scriptures about fasting in the OT that strongly suggest to me that you must have purpose in mind. Particular purposes.

Job also while not expressly stated as fasting food and water, when his three friends arrive before he speaks...that is an important event.

I mention those things to you to illustrate the depths that some went to and what occurred. Fasting isn't magic. Jesus fasted 40 days and who showed up?

There is certainly something to be said for it. God is not a genie either. YOU decided you would do that and he would answer...what because you starved yourself? and when he did not then he is not real. You then were open to be deceived and free from a burden for a God who didn't seem to love you and didn't seem to care. I submit that you need to decide what you were indeed seeking.

This scripture hit me during random reading when I was confused over exactly why certain things occurred with my fasting.

Wherefore = why...is how I read it.

"Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? Wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours. Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice heard on high. Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? Is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? Wilt thou call this a fast, and acceptable day to the Lord? Is not this the fast that I Have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? When thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? Isaiah 3-7.

There is more...Basically the entire chapter is about fasting and how we fast. Plenty of argument could be had here about it's application in a believers life or a seeker that has not yet been born again but I am unwilling to do so currently.

feeling happier then I ever did realising its time to put away childish things and start thinking rather then do what I was told in a book
But did you stay in the body? Did you seek out prayer? It's about abiding. It's not about playing "bible roulette" and reading a few verses. Not saying I'm 100% against Bible roulette, it has its place but that isn't a "study". I'm not ready to talk about the wages of iniquity when someone chooses to rebel and thinks disbelief in God is liberation. It may work for a while but you will reach a point where you will be pricked spiritually in some fashion. Where you will see that there are but two choices...don't miss that opportunity. I've seen it happen for others and I am believing that for you should you choose to continue on your road.

written by ancient tribe goat herders.
I heard another user that I believe either is a guest now or was banned use this same terminology. Some people did herd goats, some sheep, some lived in palaces, some cities, some sailed on ships, some fought, some were inn keepers, Some made wine,
some made tents, some worked metal, some set jewels, some were builders, some were carpenters.

To state that the bible was only written by "goat herders" sounds suspiciously like an insult. There were many other writers that did not "herd goats". Also, much like a film. You can't have one with just a writer.

Certainly he is the author and finisher of our faith, but we still have to live it out. It will look differently for each of us.

Oct 29, 2019
Where did this single self replicating cell come from? Whether or not any of the proposed origin of life hypothesis by scientists are plausible is a matter of opinion. In my opinion not only are they not plausible but rather impossible. Consider the big bang theory, what created the matter that exploded in the first place. It doesn't take a scientist to know that if you take a whole bunch of nothing, it can not be expected that you end up with a whole lot of something, densely compressed until it explodes. Another implausible hypothesis or theory.
I can't believe I have to explain this to people, Big bang was the expansion of space time, no thing exploded space it self just expanded very rapidly, atoms that make up our universe came from the energy stored in the very high vacuum potential energy of the inflation field that filled all space and caused the inflationary period after the big bang. According to the inflationary ΛCDM model of cosmology the way atoms were created was through this process:

The Big Bang and Grand unification epoch - from T=0 to 10^−36sec
During the immediate expansion of the universe after of the big bang up to the beginning of the inflationary period, the Grand unification epoch would have create all kinds of particles, including Magnetic monopoles.

Inflationary epoch from T=10^−36sec to 10^−31sec,
During the inflationary epoch the universe would have increased in volume by a factor of 10781078 or more. This would dilute whatever particles were created in the grand unification epoch. This means that it is extremely unlikely that even one magnetic monopole (or any other particle) from that epoch would be present in our current Hubble volume (our observable universe). In fact getting rid of the magnetic monopoles was the original motivation when Alan Guth invented inflationary theory. This rapid inflation would have been driven by a very high vacuum energy density that would have slowly rolled down a shallow slope (slow-roll inflation):

(image from http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2011/10/28/why-we-think-theres-a-multiver/)

At the end of inflation, the inflaton field will rapidly roll down the steep part of the potential to the minimum at 0 potential energy (labelled True vacuum). Before this rapid rolling phase, the part of the universe that became our observable universe would be empty of all particles, but it would be filled with the high energy density inflaton field potential energy. During the rapid roll to zero potential (called reheating), all that high energy vacuum inflaton potential energy would have been converted into the particles that would eventually decay or become the particles in our current universe. At the end of reheating the universe would be filled with a high energy, high temperature quark gluon plasma and all of this plasma was generated by the energy in the potential energy of the inflaton field. This quark gluon plasma would have equal numbers of quarks and anti-quarks.

Supersymmetry breaking (speculative)
If supersymmetry is a property of our universe, then it must be broken at an energy that is no lower than 1 TeV, the electroweak symmetry scale. The masses of particles and their superpartners would then no longer be equal, which could explain why no superpartners of known particles have ever been observed.

To explain why the universe does not have equal amounts of matter and antimatter today, at this point in time there must have been some slight asymmetry between matter and antimatter that allowed 1 out of a billion matter particles to survive in this period. The exact mechanism of this asymmetry is not currently known - this is one of the unsolved problems in physics. See Baryon asymmetry.

From this point on, the physics is very well understood and is far less speculative. For this, I will just reproduce the relevant sections from Wikipedia (Chronology of the universe - with slight edits):

Electroweak symmetry breaking and the quark epoch - 10^−12 sec to 10^−6 sec after the Big Bang
As the universe's temperature falls below a certain very high energy level, it is believed that the Higgs field spontaneously acquires a vacuum expectation value, which breaks electroweak gauge symmetry. This has two related effects:

1. The weak force and electromagnetic force, and their respective bosons (the W and Z bosons and photon) manifest differently in the present universe, with different ranges;
  2. Via the Higgs mechanism, all elementary particles interacting with the Higgs field become massive, having been massless at higher energy levels.
At the end of this epoch, the fundamental interactions of gravitation, electromagnetism, the strong interaction and the weak interaction have now taken their present forms, and fundamental particles have mass, but the temperature of the universe is still too high to allow quarks to bind together to form hadrons.

Hadron epoch - Between 10^−6 sec and 1 sec after the Big Bang
The quark-gluon plasma that composes the universe cools until hadrons, including baryons such as protons and neutrons, can form. At approximately 1 second after the Big Bang neutrinos decouple and begin traveling freely through space. This cosmic neutrino background, while unlikely to ever be observed in detail since the neutrino energies are very low, is analogous to the cosmic microwave background that was emitted much later. However, there is strong indirect evidence that the cosmic neutrino background exists, both from Big Bang nucleosynthesis predictions of the helium abundance, and from anisotropies in the cosmic microwave background

Lepton epoch - Between 1 second and 10 seconds after the Big Bang
The majority of hadrons and anti-hadrons annihilate each other at the end of the hadron epoch, leaving leptons and anti-leptons dominating the mass of the universe. Approximately 10 seconds after the Big Bang the temperature of the universe falls to the point at which new lepton/anti-lepton pairs are no longer created and most leptons and anti-leptons are eliminated in annihilation reactions, leaving a small residue of leptons.[4]

Photon epoch - Between 10 seconds and 380,000 years after the Big Bang
After most leptons and anti-leptons are annihilated at the end of the lepton epoch the energy of the universe is dominated by photons. These photons are still interacting frequently with charged protons, electrons and (eventually) nuclei, and continue to do so for the next 380,000 years.

Nucleosynthesis - Between 3 minutes and 20 minutes after the Big Bang
During the photon epoch the temperature of the universe falls to the point where atomic nuclei can begin to form. Protons (hydrogen ions) and neutrons begin to combine into atomic nuclei in the process of nuclear fusion. Free neutrons combine with protons to form deuterium. Deuterium rapidly fuses into helium-4. Nucleosynthesis only lasts for about seventeen minutes, since the temperature and density of the universe has fallen to the point where nuclear fusion cannot continue. By this time, all neutrons have been incorporated into helium nuclei. This leaves about three times more hydrogen than helium-4 (by mass) and only trace quantities of other nuclei.

Oct 29, 2019
How have I judged you? YOU, were the one that told us you are an unbeliever.
"You will notice this person had NO ROOT. JESUS, is the Root. So this person was never saved to begin with. " a bold and ignorant claim, considering you also said "I don't even need to read this whole post to see what your error is. "