Should a Christian tithe, what does the Bible say

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

7seasrekeyed

It was happen in one of a rural church, in Indonesia, most member was low income, they were farmer. One of the farmer has a cow. Farmer in Indonesia not like in America. American farmer may has thousand cows. Indonesian farmer usually has 2 or 3 cows, they are poor. This farmer

sale one of the cow to the market. His pastor go with him to see how much is the selling price and calculate the tithe. He teach that if you not tithe you are a thief you steal the Lord money

that is terrible

that pastor is teaching from his own heart

the Bible says Christians should give cheerfully but they are not required to give 1/10 of what they own

Jul 10, 2018
I wouldn't rebuke someone over not tithing, that's between them and God, and pastors shouldn't get angry about it. I personally donate 10% of my monthly income every month and it helps the church spread the gospel to the world.

7seasrekeyed

Galatians 4
4 What I am saying is that as long as an heir is underage, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate. 2 The heir is subject to guardians and trustees until the time set by his father. 3 So also, when we were underage, we were in slavery under the elemental spiritual forces[a] of the world. 4 But when the set time had fully come,God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeemthose under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship.[b]6 Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba,[c] Father.” 7 So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir.

Paul’s Concern for the Galatians
8 Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods. 9 But now that you know God—or rather are known by God—how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces[d]? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again?10 You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! 11 I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you.

12 I plead with you, brothers and sisters, become like me, for I became like you. You did me no wrong. 13 As you know, it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you, 14 and even though my illness was a trial to you, you did not treat me with contempt or scorn. Instead, you welcomed me as if I were an angel of God, as if I were Christ Jesus himself. 15 Where, then, is your blessing of me now? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. 16 Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?

17 Those people are zealous to win you over, but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us, so that you may have zeal for them. 18 It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always, not just when I am with you. 19 My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, 20 how I wish I could be with you now and change my tone, because I am perplexed about you!

Hagar and Sarah
21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise.

24 These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25 Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27 For it is written:

“Be glad, barren woman,
you who never bore a child;
shout for joy and cry aloud,
you who were never in labor;
because more are the children of the desolate woman
than of her who has a husband.”[e]
28 Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. 30 But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.”[f]31 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.
interesting

mr prophecyuk has given an x on this post which scripture only

he does, after, not agree with scripture as has been pointed out many times

more than likely however, he just has a personal grudge for me because I posted a very good reference that explains why we no longer tithe

however, his post with his personal info has been reported as his agenda seems to overreach the TOS of this site

it is never good to post personal contact info publicly and certainly never good to encourage people to leave this site in order to engage him privately

7seasrekeyed

The question is should a Christian give tithes, a tenth of what they own? The answer is no from most people
the answer is no from scripture

but you put an x on that post that contained only scripture

what do expect to accomplish by xing everyone here?

you are just confirming the fact you do not understand that we are not part of the Old Covenant and Moses is not our interpreter

1. Believers are no longer under the Mosaic covenant (Rom. 6:14–15; 7:5–6; Gal. 3:15–4:7; 2 Cor. 3:4–18).
The commands stipulated in the Mosaic covenant are no longer in force for believers. Some appeal to the division between the civil, ceremonial, and moral law to support tithing. Yet these divisions, I would observe, are not the basis Paul uses when addressing how the law applies to us today. And even if we use these distinctions, tithing is clearly not part of the moral law. It’s true the moral norms of the Old Testament are still in force today, and we discern them from the law of Christ in the New Testament, but tithing is not among these commands.

Sep 4, 2012
It was happen in one of a rural church, in Indonesia, most member was low income, they were farmer. One of the farmer has a cow. Farmer in Indonesia not like in America. American farmer may has thousand cows. Indonesian farmer usually has 2 or 3 cows, they are poor. This farmer sale one of the cow to the market. His pastor go with him to see how much is the selling price and calculate the tithe. He teach that if you not tithe you are a thief you steal the Lord money
That pastor was a thief and a liar. The tithe was to be paid on the tenth cow, not 10% of any cow. In other words, if your herd had only increased by 9 cows you didn't have to pay a tithe. The tenth cow though belonged to the lord.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
There are so many scriptures, and none of you seem interested in giving any for what Christians do, of giving, of what we receive after, good or bad, and the only comments there are, are complaints about too many scriptures, and only approval of vain mans propaganda, and lying excuses why they do not need to do anything, as if Jesus never gave any commandments.
that's not true.
when i posted earlier nothing but a commandment of Jesus regarding giving, with no human comment added to it, didn't you downvote it, signifying that you disagree with Christ?
yes, yes you did -
post #480

i'll do it again:

Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.
(Luke 6:30)

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
that is terrible

that pastor is teaching from his own heart

the Bible says Christians should give cheerfully but they are not required to give 1/10 of what they own
Yep, some pastors are greedy and teach out of greediness, use verses from Old Testament to cover up his real motive.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I wouldn't rebuke someone over not tithing, that's between them and God, and pastors shouldn't get angry about it. I personally donate 10% of my monthly income every month and it helps the church spread the gospel to the world.
It is good to give 10 % or more to the Lord, but tithing is OT, like an income tax to the country.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
That pastor was a thief and a liar. The tithe was to be paid on the tenth cow, not 10% of any cow. In other words, if your herd had only increased by 9 cows you didn't have to pay a tithe. The tenth cow though belonged to the lord.
And tithing is a law for Israel in the OT, not NT.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Tithing, like all other areas of the bible, can be turned legalistic and that was never it's intent.
A tithe is 10% - that is actually the meaning of the word. It is not a law
but Mike tithing is an actual law. a law of a covenant we are not under, a covenant which is not law for us but example, yes -- but it's kinda weird to read you saying it was never intended to be legalistic when it was literally intended to be kept as a law, and that it is not a law, when in fact, that's exactly what it is: a law. a law no one baptized into Christ is under.

the whole reason there's contention about the misuse of this word is that the word itself directly refers to a law. using it engenders compulsion. using it specifically implies 'legalism' and using it to describe Christian giving immediately identifies giving with law.
ask yourself, why does the organized church today use this word "
tithe" instead of the word "freewill offering" ? it used to be called "alms" !
which term is a more accurate picture of our generosity? which term is a clearer example of how Christ and His apostles teach us to give? when Paul says '
present your bodies as a living sacrifice' is he alluding to obedience to Israel's tithe law or to a freewill offering?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.
(Matthew 5:23-24)

seeking mercy and doing justice are here definitely shown to be more desirable to God than offering material gifts at the altar.

Jun 29, 2018
You're suggesting that tithing has not been repealed. That is incorrect. Malachi spoke to those under the old covenant, not the new.

Under the new covenant we are to give cheerfully and not under compulsion; tithing was compulsory, which his why God could rightfully state that Israel was robbing Him. It is not compulsory for Christians, for Christians are not under the Law.

To all readers, consider the principle that Paul taught the Galatians: "If you allow yourselves to be circumcised, you are obligated to obey the whole Law." This applies to tithing as well. The Law is not a buffet, but an all-or-nothing requirement. That includes laws for ritual uncleanness and stoning adulterers. See how that goes over on a Sunday morning.
Abraham was not under the law.

Jun 29, 2018
but Mike tithing is an actual law. a law of a covenant we are not under, a covenant which is not law for us but example, yes -- but it's kinda weird to read you saying it was never intended to be legalistic when it was literally intended to be kept as a law, and that it is not a law, when in fact, that's exactly what it is: a law. a law no one baptized into Christ is under.

the whole reason there's contention about the misuse of this word is that the word itself directly refers to a law. using it engenders compulsion. using it specifically implies 'legalism' and using it to describe Christian giving immediately identifies giving with law.
ask yourself, why does the organized church today use this word "
tithe" instead of the word "freewill offering" ? it used to be called "alms" !
which term is a more accurate picture of our generosity? which term is a clearer example of how Christ and His apostles teach us to give? when Paul says '
present your bodies as a living sacrifice' is he alluding to obedience to Israel's tithe law or to a freewill offering?
Abraham was not under a compulsory law when he gave tithes to Melchizedek nor are we.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
It was happen in one of a rural church, in Indonesia, most member was low income, they were farmer. One of the farmer has a cow. Farmer in Indonesia not like in America. American farmer may has thousand cows. Indonesian farmer usually has 2 or 3 cows, they are poor. This farmer sale one of the cow to the market. His pastor go with him to see how much is the selling price and calculate the tithe. He teach that if you not tithe you are a thief you steal the Lord money
That's just sad. The pastor has no business being involved at all, and he should be told to read Leviticus 27.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Abraham was not under a compulsory law when he gave tithes to Melchizedek nor are we.
So the next time you have spoils of war, and a priest of God Most High comes out to you with bread and wine, feel free to give that priest one tenth of the spoils. :)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
interesting

mr prophecyuk has given an x on this post which scripture only
He's put an 'x' on a bunch of posts. I wonder if he feels better now.

With both him and the OP, it's surprising how deep the deception and confusion can be for those who are bound by the law.

Feb 28, 2016
'tithe' = 'heart' -

if you are a true 'Christian', then your heart belongs to God,
and so, The Holy Spirit will always lead you where/when/how/to 'give'
where our Heavenly Father desires...