So Just What Does it Mean to be Masculine or Feminine These Days, Anyway?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I am not gay! :p

(Of course I'm not terribly good looking either, and intelligent might be up for debate, but I AM nice...)

J

Jennie-Mae

Looks like somebody here don’t quite catch the feminine way of having some fun😂.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Every time I try to think of attributes that are exclusively masculine or feminine, I realize that the ones I think of are stereotypes, conventions, or mere preferences with no inherent cross-cultural connection to either gender. The only ones that register consistently are "grace" (feminine) and "strength" (masculine). Both terms refer to far more than physical characteristics.

I rarely have difficulty categorizing a person unless they are trying really hard to mask their gender. Men and women are just different.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Cause most good looking, nice, intelligent good guys r gay.

Whewww... since I'm not good looking, nice, intelligent, or a good guy... my sexuality remains intact.

So relieved.

Was genuinely worried for a moment.

T

theanointedsinner

what if, we need to be able to distinguish the difference between masculine or feminine so we can avoid the risk of worse sins (ie: homosexuality, or as you prefer "gay") :eek:

but at the same time, men can be feminine and women can be masculine which again, the risk of homosexuality still exist, which makes the ability to know the difference not as helpful as we hope that it can be :unsure:

Nov 6, 2018
I wash dishes and work on my car and am a man last time I checked. But living alone will force one to do such tasks.[/QUOTE

And I am a old woman that washes dishes and does the yard work and works on my own car sometimes . Have coached my sons soccor tm
Hey Everyone,

With all the discussion about what should be considered feminine in another thread, I would like to ask everyone just what DOES it mean to be masculine or feminine in today's culture, anyway?

The past few months, I have been watching several propaganda videos from life in the United States and UK in the 1950's. Back then, gender roles seemed clearly defined, evenif only for the camera: Dad polished off his briefcase every morning and left for work, Mom stayed at home and manned (pun intended) the home.

But in today's world where broken homes seem to be the norm and more and more people of both genders have to take on various roles in order to meet the hectic demands of life, do we still have any distinct lines as to what is considered masculine or feminine?

For instance, I know one of the chores I hated taking over after my ex-husband left was mowing the lawn. NOTHING about that entire task--being covered in dirt and yard clippings, changing the oil, sharpening the blade with a file--felt feminine to me in any way, shape, or form. But of course, it was a job that needed to be done, and so it's not like there was a choice.

And so, this topic has me thinking about such things as:

* Is washing dishes (and doing other various domestic chores) masculine or feminine?

* Is working on cars, or shooting a gun masculine or feminine?

* Is caring about your appearance and putting a lot of effort into self-care masculine or feminine?

* Is being good with technology and computers masculine or feminine?

* Is choosing to wear a scent, like perfume or cologne, masculine or feminine?

* Is being a single parent masculine or feminine, since any single parent feels the burden of trying to fill BOTH roles?

And so the list goes on. If everything these days seems to be one big blur, how DO we define what's masculine or feminine in our modern world?

Feel free to share any thoughts you may have on this topic, but as a conversation starter, how would you finish the following statements:

1. Being feminine means...

2. Being unfeminine means...

3. Being masculine means...

4. Being unmasculine means...

I find this to be a fascinating topic, and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

I have coached my sons soccer teams, taught them to play football, to do the yard work. I also taught them to wash dishes and clean the house. My daughter claims i never played dolls with her nor did we have make up parties. Because I never played with dolls nor was a big fan of make up. My sons thank me for their well rounded lifes . Many had told me that since I am a feminine type my sons would all grow up to be queer but not one in all 5 are queer. All totally man. And my daughter is 100% woman and is ok that I can fix her car sometimes

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
If I'm not wrong. I think what Demi was saying is that 8 out of the first 10 things on their "perfect guy" list describes a gay man...
*applauds and giggles
there ya go someone got it right.
I didnt even see his comment but u got pretty close to home