Tattoos?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Tattoo's are sought because the person believes it is what they need. They believe they need it to make themselves whole, for in their eyes it is what they are missing.

Some get it because they feel self-conscious in lack of beauty, and that such art will add to what they believe not to possess. Some get it to look tough or manly, because they think consciously or not, that without it they lack and this again will add a layer of protection since they will look more menacing. Some get it to reinforce an ideology, because without it they feel unheard, so again they attempt to fix with a permanent statement, that hopefully will get them noticed.

No matter the tattoo, it is fundamentally rooted in a fear. Because sin is when we act without the LORD, and without Him we act in fear.

So to accuse me of being harsh, or that I should lighten up? I don't kick people when they are down. Everyone with a tattoo did it because they believed they lacked when in fact they needed support to come to know I AM.

I will say again; Matthew 12:36; But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Your words either build or destroy. They help or they hinder. They gather or they divide.
I have to disagree with you there. I personally know some people who see it as nothing more than a bumper sticker on a car, something pretty they want to apply to a surface.

I'm not saying they are right, but that's how they see it.
 
My preference - aesthetics and otherwise - all it takes is one tattoo or one piercing and she is off my list.

"Sorry - not interested."

I am not judging her - we can be friends, etc. - just not interested in her being my wife.

I am a "naturalist" of sorts - and, she needs to be the same - if she is not happy with the body God gave her - so that she thinks she needs to modify it - she is not for me...
I meant to add that the only exception to this was if a woman had only one piercing in [the center of] each ear lobe - which virtually all women have been doing since long before I was born.

So - well - kinda used to that - so, I "tolerate" it. (within the reasoning of my preferences)

But, the ideal for me is no tattoos or piercings of any kind anywhere on the body.

That has to be a really rare find in this modern day... :unsure:
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist
I hear you, but you also went to the area where Paul went right? In Greece?
Yes.... I got to stand on the top of Mars hill, where Paul spoke to the Ephesians... it's an amazing feeling to "be there"...
Someday, if things calm down a bit, we want to do a Holy Land tour.... it's totally in God's hands as to whether I live long enough to make that trip....
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist
I meant to add that the only exception to this was if a woman had only one piercing in [the center of] each ear lobe - which virtually all women have been doing since long before I was born.

So - well - kinda used to that - so, I "tolerate" it. (within the reasoning of my preferences)

But, the ideal for me is no tattoos or piercings of any kind anywhere on the body.

That has to be a really rare find in this modern day... :unsure:
There are a few ladies like that... In my church. And in other churches like ours.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist
This is why Paul explained that your body is in fact no yours anymore.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

He was talking about being a living sacrafice for God. Going out an witnessing to people, getting beatin, stoned to death, hung, shot...
 
Don't forget that any sex position other than missionary will get you burned to a cross. This is because it's an insult to God's image, he didn't make us this way, to do it any other way. It's to save the sinner's soul.

And also, it's against God for the priest or church leader to be married. Yes it's forbidden, because it will distract him from doing God's holy work.

Do you spent 1 hour this morning bowing and whorshipping Jesus this morning. What about this afternoon, bending you back, bowing and worhsipping him for 1 hour? Just like they do to the rising and setting sun?

There is nothing wrong with being with Jesus Christ, and God's word is TRUTH. But what I have been witnessing is everyone is religious. Being Religious, could be a reason there are so many different denominations.

Religion has killed billions of people in all of our recorded history. And being religious is one reason people will not turn to Jesus.
 
I meant to add that the only exception to this was if a woman had only one piercing in [the center of] each ear lobe - which virtually all women have been doing since long before I was born.

So - well - kinda used to that - so, I "tolerate" it. (within the reasoning of my preferences)

But, the ideal for me is no tattoos or piercings of any kind anywhere on the body.

That has to be a really rare find in this modern day... :unsure:

Woah, I'm rare! I have no piercings or tattoos.
When I was a child, my great grandmother wanted my mother to take me to have my ears pierced. Thankfully, my mother was not partial to the idea. She wanted that to be my decision when I got older. I've yet to want to get my ears pierced. I have zero desire for any piercings, ink, body mods, whatever.
Come to think of it, I'm the only woman I know of who doesn't have either some kind of piercing or tattoo.
 
Woah, I'm rare! I have no piercings or tattoos.
When I was a child, my great grandmother wanted my mother to take me to have my ears pierced. Thankfully, my mother was not partial to the idea. She wanted that to be my decision when I got older. I've yet to want to get my ears pierced. I have zero desire for any piercings, ink, body mods, whatever.
Come to think of it, I'm the only woman I know of who doesn't have either some kind of piercing or tattoo.
So... What are you doing this Sat...

Okay I've played that one too much now. I'll hush.
 
Sorry, but just another thought.

I believe this passage is actually a prohibition from God to avoid pagan practices. Scarification and tattooing were nearly universal occurrences at the time of Moses as were several other practices mentioned in this chapter. Yet.....

In Yeshua the laws of Moses were brought to their fullest meaning "...in the spirit." It is legitimate to look deeper into this "law" and discern it's spiritual meaning. I personally believe it is an issue and a warning of self-aggrandizement, but that's just me.
 
Woah, I'm rare! I have no piercings or tattoos.
When I was a child, my great grandmother wanted my mother to take me to have my ears pierced. Thankfully, my mother was not partial to the idea. She wanted that to be my decision when I got older. I've yet to want to get my ears pierced. I have zero desire for any piercings, ink, body mods, whatever.
Come to think of it, I'm the only woman I know of who doesn't have either some kind of piercing or tattoo.
(I think @GaryA has a beard🙏😂)
 
  • Like
Reactions: seoulsearch
He was talking about being a living sacrafice for God. Going out an witnessing to people, getting beatin, stoned to death, hung, shot...

But he really wasn't though, none of what you say is mentioned in the chapter. Read the preceding verses and the subjects are behaviour, food and immoral sex. i.e. how you use and treat your body.
 
I have to disagree with you there. I personally know some people who see it as nothing more than a bumper sticker on a car, something pretty they want to apply to a surface.

I'm not saying they are right, but that's how they see it.

They would say such things because they haven't repented. The same logic can really be applied to anything. Its not a problem until one admits it as such. I write this with two tattoos. Did I see the error of my ways at the time? Did I see it a few years after? No. I realised over 12 years later. During and before this realisation I thought they added to me, but that was a lie, they only subtracted from me because of the mindset required to have one.

The flaw is in the logic of applying something pretty to the surface, you see, to say such a thing is to claim the surface is not pretty in the first place, that the surface is not already a masterpiece. This is the exact problem. I cannot stress enough that the very second that the idea of I AM not being enough crops up, it needs shut down immediately, its blasphemy.

Exodus 3:14-15

Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
Exo 3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
 
But he really wasn't though, none of what you say is mentioned in the chapter. Read the preceding verses and the subjects are behaviour, food and immoral sex. i.e. how you use and treat your body.

This may be true, I might have made an error.
 
They would say such things because they haven't repented. The same logic can really be applied to anything. Its not a problem until one admits it as such. I write this with two tattoos. Did I see the error of my ways at the time? Did I see it a few years after? No. I realised over 12 years later. During and before this realisation I thought they added to me, but that was a lie, they only subtracted from me because of the mindset required to have one.

The flaw is in the logic of applying something pretty to the surface, you see, to say such a thing is to claim the surface is not pretty in the first place, that the surface is not already a masterpiece. This is the exact problem. I cannot stress enough that the very second that the idea of I AM not being enough crops up, it needs shut down immediately, its blasphemy.

Exodus 3:14-15

Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
Exo 3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
Your logic breaks down. Are we saying a wall is not pretty because we hang a picture on it? Are we saying a car is not pretty because we put a bumper sticker on it?

That doesn't make sense.

What you felt about tattoos may apply to you, and may even apply to many, but it does not apply to everyone. I know a good many people who see it only as putting a picture they like on an available surface.
 
And again, I am not saying they are right. I'm just saying that is how they see it.
 
Don't forget that any sex position other than missionary will get you burned to a cross. This is because it's an insult to God's image, he didn't make us this way, to do it any other way. It's to save the sinner's soul.
I can’t tell.

Is this a joke?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
I can’t tell.

Is this a joke?
Seems like sarcasm to me. The real intent of the post started at the fourth paragraph.

Probably could have been phrased better, to make the intent more apparent.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eli1
Religion has killed billions of people in all of our recorded history. And being religious is one reason people will not turn to Jesus.


Trail of Blood ebook<
By Southern Baptist historian and preacher J.M. Carroll

This is the best I have ever read on the dark ages of church history. He covers what information is available on the persecutions of Christians before the Reformation. I think you'll find it a good read on the topic you raised. However, for all the history presented, be aware that I don't endorse his view on salvation.
 
Woah, I'm rare! I have no piercings or tattoos.
When I was a child, my great grandmother wanted my mother to take me to have my ears pierced. Thankfully, my mother was not partial to the idea. She wanted that to be my decision when I got older. I've yet to want to get my ears pierced. I have zero desire for any piercings, ink, body mods, whatever.
Come to think of it, I'm the only woman I know of who doesn't have either some kind of piercing or tattoo.
Sounds like you are rare and exquisite.