Would God Have us Solve Confusion of baptisms?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 22, 2020
Romans 6:3-5, 1 Peter 3:21, 1 Corinthians 15.

As you can see below, the dead will rise in the resurrection if they were baptized. The point of water baptism is for being in the resurrection.

1 Corinthians 15:29
29If these things are not so, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them?
In comparison to ...NICE";

Baptism is Required

Peter 3: 21.... whereunto even baptism doth also now save us...

John 3:5 .......Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Acts 2;38-....Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 22;16... And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Galations 3:26...... For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

KJV Marrk 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

KJV Matthew 3:14... But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15. Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now, for thus it becometh us to fulfil all rightesousness. Then He suffered Him.

KJV Matthew 28:19..... Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:.

Acts 8:12-18: But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized.

Acts 19:4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.”

John 3; 22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

Quote from Billy Graham that is note worthy;
....Also, to clarify I did not say remission of sin takes place at repentance. Scripture makes it clear that it occurs upon obedience to water baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus. Each is a step of faith, along with receiving the Holy Ghost, in the process of one's spiritual rebirth

.."Paul explains the doctrinal significance of what occurs when one is baptized.His explanation is found in his letter to those who had already been obedient to the command.

Paul tells the Roman Christians what actually occurred when they were/are baptized; they were baptized into His death. Being buried with Jesus into His death resulted in their sin being destroyed.

Even though Paul explains this concept, the NEW AGE RELIGION TEACHING is......... that water baptism is nothing other than a mere public display.......... And that is so far removed from the truth.

......If you were baptized for some reason other than for forgiveness of sins in order to be ...born again... then you do not have salvation and you are still lost. Who are you going to follow: God or man? As our Lord warns us in Matthew 15:14, "And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a ditch." Don't allow someone, who has added to and taken away from God's word, to lead you. Open your eyes and read God's word for yourself. Those who have added to and taken away from God's word will be lost. If you continue to follow them, then you too will be lost.

Keep in mind that Satan knows if he can continue to perpetuate that lie ...... he can keep people from entering the kingdom of God. Thus He has proven scripture which says ...in the end times there will be ...great delusions.....they are here.

Conclusion....teaching that baptism is not necessary is violation of Rev. 22;19.... And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. 20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. (Also two other books of the Bible).

May 22, 2020
Romans 6:3-5, 1 Peter 3:21, 1 Corinthians 15.

As you can see below, the dead will rise in the resurrection if they were baptized. The point of water baptism is for being in the resurrection.

1 Corinthians 15:29
29If these things are not so, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them?
Baptism provides sin cleansing just as repentance ....allowing for being part of the 1st resurrection..as does living a righteous life, etc. It all goes together for resurrection unto ever lasting life. (the first...)

May 22, 2020
Uh.... no. I'm not the one relying on "water burial" metaphors.

I know what the bible says. But it's not just a matter of what it says, it's a matter of what it means. You seem to think that "for" remission of sins, means "in order to receive" remission of sins: probably based on how you look at Romans 6, and your "water burial" metaphor which isn't ever touched on by the scriptures. So, you're saying the scriptures support what you're saying when they don't necessarily support what you say.
What does ..."water burial" refer too in your chosen context?

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
What does ..."water burial" refer too in your chosen context?
It's not my context, or idea at all. The suggestion that our immersion in water is a "burial" isn't coming from me.
The premise that this scripture is about water baptism is what leads to the conclusion that sins are forgiven in water baptism. (and also the premise that "for remission of sins" means "in order to receive" remission of sins.) But these premises are not as stable as they appear.

My suggestion is that "baptized into Jesus Christ" and "baptized into his death" does not refer to water baptism in Jesus' name (which is "required"; but not referred to here). But, rather this is "baptism into his death":
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin;
It's all the Holy Spirit.
- death of the body of sin
- planted in the likeness of his death and walking in newness of life
- crucifixion of the old carnal man
None of that happens from water baptism. That's not to say you shouldn't, or don't need to, get water baptized. I cannot conceive any reason why someone would refuse to do something as simple as being baptized in water. Obedience to water baptism is demonstration of your will to turn to God. But it's the Holy Spirit that washes away sins, and it's by the Holy Spirit that the body dies to sin, and the old man is crucified, and how you walk in newness of life.

May 22, 2020
It's not my context, or idea at all. The suggestion that our immersion in water is a "burial" isn't coming from me.
The premise that this scripture is about water baptism is what leads to the conclusion that sins are forgiven in water baptism. (and also the premise that "for remission of sins" means "in order to receive" remission of sins.) But these premises are not as stable as they appear.

My suggestion is that "baptized into Jesus Christ" and "baptized into his death" does not refer to water baptism in Jesus' name (which is "required"; but not referred to here). But, rather this is "baptism into his death":
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin;
It's all the Holy Spirit.
- death of the body of sin
- planted in the likeness of his death and walking in newness of life
- crucifixion of the old carnal man
None of that happens from water baptism. That's not to say you shouldn't, or don't need to, get water baptized. I cannot conceive any reason why someone would refuse to do something as simple as being baptized in water. Obedience to water baptism is demonstration of your will to turn to God. But it's the Holy Spirit that washes away sins, and it's by the Holy Spirit that the body dies to sin, and the old man is crucified, and how you walk in newness of life.

You don't think the Holy Spirit approves of God's commandment requiring baptism?
Do you think the Holy Spirit, God, repentance, baptism Christ and righteousness goes together for eternal salvation?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
You don't think the Holy Spirit approves of God's commandment requiring baptism?
Perhaps you should read before responding? Just a thought...
That's not to say you shouldn't, or don't need to, get water baptized. I cannot conceive any reason why someone would refuse to do something as simple as being baptized in water. Obedience to water baptism is demonstration of your will to turn to God. But it's the Holy Spirit that washes away sins, and it's by the Holy Spirit that the body dies to sin, and the old man is crucified, and how you walk in newness of life.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Mar 4, 2020
They that are Christ's will be made alive at His coming.
Absolutely. The dead "in" Christ. Clearly you have to be in Christ to be resurrected.

Baptized Into Christ:
Romans 6:3-5
3Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

The Dead In Christ Rise first:
1 Thessalonians 4:16
16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
They that are Christ's will be made alive at His coming.
Amen! At then End of This Dispensation of GRACE, those
"asleep In Jesus Will Be Resurrected" (1 Thessalonians 4:16),
and "those who are alive and remain Will Be Changed/Caught
Up Together With them" (v. 17 and 1 Corinthians 15:51-52)
Absolutely. The dead "in" Christ. Clearly you have to be in Christ to be resurrected.

Baptized Into Christ:
Romans 6:3-5
3Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

The Dead In Christ Rise first:
1 Thessalonians 4:16
16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
Amen! And, Just As Clearly, Under GRACE Today, It Is
"God's OPERATION To Be Baptized Into Christ":

1) Today, There Is Only ONE Baptism (Ephesians 4:5)

2) It Is The OPERATION Of God (Colossians 2:12) (18-point study)
a) Into His Death (Romans 6:3)​
b) Buried, and Risen With Him (Colossians 2:12)​

3) By God, The Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:13)

Conclusion: As "works" would Cancel GRACE (Romans 11:6), it
Can Not be water of yesterday's law (#'s 4, 9, & 10 here). Amen?

GRACE And Peace...

May 22, 2020

So, briefly, to begin, so especially new born babes In CHRIST, will be saved a lot of frustration
caused by this prevailing Confusion, let us have a brief introduction, if you will, to "starting
a class" about baptisms, because I think there a very few who have "such a thing."
Y!:...........................
Do you agree the Bible requires baptism for sin cleansing.........or do you believe it does not require baptism for sin cleansing?

presidente

May 29, 2013
Do you agree the Bible requires baptism for sin cleansing.........or do you believe it does not require baptism for sin cleansing?
The concept of 'baptism for the remission of sins' is in scripture, but it does not say that God does not have power to forgive someone's sin without water baptism. God took away the guilt of David's iniquity. Was he baptized? Jesus declared certain individuals sins forgiven. Was the man lowered through the roof baptized when his sins were forgiven? What about the woman who anointed Jesus' feet with perfume? Was she baptized with water at that time?

May 22, 2020
The concept of 'baptism for the remission of sins' is in scripture, but it does not say that God does not have power to forgive someone's sin without water baptism. God took away the guilt of David's iniquity. Was he baptized? Jesus declared certain individuals sins forgiven. Was the man lowered through the roof baptized when his sins were forgiven? What about the woman who anointed Jesus' feet with perfume? Was she baptized with water at that time?

WHOA...God can extend special dispensation as He wishes. That is not the point here and a whole different point.

Just tell me...are you planning to answer the question or not...your decision .

presidente

May 29, 2013
WHOA...God can extend special dispensation as He wishes. That is not the point here and a whole different point.

Just tell me...are you planning to answer the question or not...your decision .
I answered the question and I do not know what decision you are talking about.