Zionism among the Evangelicals is contradicted by Scripture

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
You mean with Abraham's Seed, right. As in singular? Which is Christ. That's what Paul taught:

"For the promise that he would be the heir of the world was not to Abraham or to his seed through the law, but through the righteousness of faith."

"Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as of many, but as of one, “And to your Seed,” who is Christ."

"You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed and heirs according to the promise."

Paul taught us how to regard the promises given to Abraham.

God brought Israel into the Promised Land, but they are yet to possess all God promised. The seed of Abraham that would bless the whole world came in the person of Jesus Christ. Abraham’s descendants, the Jews, have blessed the world with the Law, the prophets, the Scripture and the Savior.

Throughout history, the nations that blessed Israel were blessed by God. And those who cursed Israel have suffered great loss.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
But I believe Christ was always the promise to Abraham.
John 8:56-59.
Consider what I'd put in an old post, regarding what is meant when Jesus said (John 8:56), "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see MY DAY: and he saw it, and was glad"...

[quoting old post]

As for the Heb11:13 "these all died in faith"...

[quoting excerpt from Wm Kelly's Commentary on Hebrews 11--I tried to place his first paragraph here in such a way as to draw attention to the various Greek words (etc) used for what is most often translated simply as "by faith" in our English, but which are actually distinct Greek words... (inserts in BLUE are mine)]

But "that day" is not yet come; and we return to their fathers. From the rising above difficulties insuperable save to God on whose word they relied (verses 11, 12), we have a summary in verses 13-16, which brings out the patriarchs refusing all temptation, and by faith holding on their pilgrim way to death consistently with the accomplishment of promise. This is the reason why the phraseology chances [changes] in the beginning of verse 13.
It is no longer "in" [en] faith, that is, in virtue (or the power) of faith as in verse 2, where such a force is requisite, [...].
Nor further is it the proximate cause, the dynamic or instrumental dative as in verses 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, and again in 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 27, 29, 30, and 31.
Still less does it distinguish faith as the means "through" [dia] which, as in 4, 7, 33.
Here (verse 13), if we say "in," we mean according to [kata] faith, contrasted with sight or possession of the things promised. What indeed would be the sense of saying that "by" or "through" faith all these died?
Nor is it "in" i.e. in virtue of faith, but according to [kata] faith as in verse 7 of our chapter, where the precisely same phrase occurs [that is, in v.7c]. [...] Conformity with faith is here predicated of Abraham and those patriarchs that followed, not for perseverance to the end though this was the fact, but in being content to wait for God's fulfilling the promises in due time.

"According to [kata] faith died these all, not having received promises, but from afar having seen and saluted [or, embraced] them, and confessed that they were ["are," historical] strangers and sojourners on the earth [or, land]. For they that say such things clearly show that they seek after a fatherland. And if indeed they were* calling to mind whence they went out, they would have had opportunity to return; but now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly. Wherefore God is not ashamed of them to be called their God; for he prepared for them a city" (verses 13-16).
[...]
The aim in these verses is to present vividly that common pilgrim path in which the patriarchs walked, even to their death, before the Spirit takes up characteristic workings of faith, even in Abraham as well as in each of those that followed, as far as it bore on the subject in hand and the special help of those virtually addressed. How timely and needful it must have been we may gather, because they expand the truth already set forth briefly in verses 9, 10.

Neither death, nor the unseen state that succeeds, was the accomplishment of the promises. On the contrary their death without receiving what was promised was in accordance [kata] with faith, and the witness of its single-eyed integrity. And the accomplishment of the promises supposed, what they could not as yet understand any more than anticipate, the second advent of the Lord even more than the first, although the first was the far more solemn in itself, and the righteous basis of the blessings and glories which await the second. Hence the force of our Lord's word in John 8:56, "Abraham rejoiced that he should see my day, and he saw and was glad." Neither technically nor substantially was the first [advent] mainly in view as has been thought, but that day when God's word and oath shall be vindicated before a wondering and rejoicing world. The patristic dream, which some dream over again, [i.e. the supposition] that it refers to what Abraham beheld after death when our Lord was here, is as unwarranted a perversion as the Socinian interpretation which Meyer justly stigmatises [...]. The design of our Lord and of that chapter [John 8] is to prove Himself the Light and Word and Son and God Himself; and hence the contrast between Abraham who believed and his seed who did not. Whatever glimpse Abraham may have had of the truth to which the sacrifice on Moriah pointed, it was to the full accomplishment of the promise he looked, and saw by faith what still awaits fulfilment, the period of Christ's manifested glory, "My day." In this hope brightly breaking through the clouds Abraham exulted, and he saw, as faith ever sees, and rejoiced. He, like the rest, saw the promises in their accomplishment from afar off.

And so died these all in accordance with faith as they lived, looking forward to Messiah's day for making good the promises.

--William Kelly, Commentary on Hebrews 11 (From BibleHub) - https://biblehub.com/commentaries/kelly/hebrews/11.htm

[end quoting; bold, underline, and some bracketed inserts mine (in BLUE)--including the particular Greek words he's referring to--; parentheses and some brackets original]

bottom line: the phrase "these [G3778] all died according to faith" refers to those in vv.8-12 in particular.

[end quoting that post]

Hope that helps you see my perspective on "Abraham rejoiced to see MY DAY" in John 8:56. = )

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Consider what I'd put in an old post, regarding what is meant when Jesus said (John 8:56), "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see MY DAY: and he saw it, and was glad"...

[quoting old post]

As for the Heb11:13 "these all died in faith"...

[quoting excerpt from Wm Kelly's Commentary on Hebrews 11--I tried to place his first paragraph here in such a way as to draw attention to the various Greek words (etc) used for what is most often translated simply as "by faith" in our English, but which are actually distinct Greek words... (inserts in BLUE are mine)]

But "that day" is not yet come; and we return to their fathers. From the rising above difficulties insuperable save to God on whose word they relied (verses 11, 12), we have a summary in verses 13-16, which brings out the patriarchs refusing all temptation, and by faith holding on their pilgrim way to death consistently with the accomplishment of promise. This is the reason why the phraseology chances [changes] in the beginning of verse 13.
It is no longer "in" [en] faith, that is, in virtue (or the power) of faith as in verse 2, where such a force is requisite, [...].
Nor further is it the proximate cause, the dynamic or instrumental dative as in verses 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, and again in 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 27, 29, 30, and 31.
Still less does it distinguish faith as the means "through" [dia] which, as in 4, 7, 33.
Here (verse 13), if we say "in," we mean according to [kata] faith, contrasted with sight or possession of the things promised. What indeed would be the sense of saying that "by" or "through" faith all these died?
Nor is it "in" i.e. in virtue of faith, but according to [kata] faith as in verse 7 of our chapter, where the precisely same phrase occurs [that is, in v.7c]. [...] Conformity with faith is here predicated of Abraham and those patriarchs that followed, not for perseverance to the end though this was the fact, but in being content to wait for God's fulfilling the promises in due time.

"According to [kata] faith died these all, not having received promises, but from afar having seen and saluted [or, embraced] them, and confessed that they were ["are," historical] strangers and sojourners on the earth [or, land]. For they that say such things clearly show that they seek after a fatherland. And if indeed they were* calling to mind whence they went out, they would have had opportunity to return; but now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly. Wherefore God is not ashamed of them to be called their God; for he prepared for them a city" (verses 13-16).
[...]
The aim in these verses is to present vividly that common pilgrim path in which the patriarchs walked, even to their death, before the Spirit takes up characteristic workings of faith, even in Abraham as well as in each of those that followed, as far as it bore on the subject in hand and the special help of those virtually addressed. How timely and needful it must have been we may gather, because they expand the truth already set forth briefly in verses 9, 10.

Neither death, nor the unseen state that succeeds, was the accomplishment of the promises. On the contrary their death without receiving what was promised was in accordance [kata] with faith, and the witness of its single-eyed integrity. And the accomplishment of the promises supposed, what they could not as yet understand any more than anticipate, the second advent of the Lord even more than the first, although the first was the far more solemn in itself, and the righteous basis of the blessings and glories which await the second. Hence the force of our Lord's word in John 8:56, "Abraham rejoiced that he should see my day, and he saw and was glad." Neither technically nor substantially was the first [advent] mainly in view as has been thought, but that day when God's word and oath shall be vindicated before a wondering and rejoicing world. The patristic dream, which some dream over again, [i.e. the supposition] that it refers to what Abraham beheld after death when our Lord was here, is as unwarranted a perversion as the Socinian interpretation which Meyer justly stigmatises [...]. The design of our Lord and of that chapter [John 8] is to prove Himself the Light and Word and Son and God Himself; and hence the contrast between Abraham who believed and his seed who did not. Whatever glimpse Abraham may have had of the truth to which the sacrifice on Moriah pointed, it was to the full accomplishment of the promise he looked, and saw by faith what still awaits fulfilment, the period of Christ's manifested glory, "My day." In this hope brightly breaking through the clouds Abraham exulted, and he saw, as faith ever sees, and rejoiced. He, like the rest, saw the promises in their accomplishment from afar off.

And so died these all in accordance with faith as they lived, looking forward to Messiah's day for making good the promises.

--William Kelly, Commentary on Hebrews 11 (From BibleHub) - https://biblehub.com/commentaries/kelly/hebrews/11.htm

[end quoting; bold, underline, and some bracketed inserts mine (in BLUE)--including the particular Greek words he's referring to--; parentheses and some brackets original]

bottom line: the phrase "these [G3778] all died according to faith" refers to those in vv.8-12 in particular.

[end quoting that post]

Hope that helps you see my perspective on "Abraham rejoiced to see MY DAY" in John 8:56. = )
I appreciate you sharing.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
"Lest you be wise in your own conceits, I want you to understand this mystery, brethren: a hardening has come upon part of Israel, until the full number of the Gentiles come in, and so all Israel will be saved; as it is written, 'The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will banish ungodliness from Jacob'”; (Rom 11:25-26, RSV)
"blindness / a hardening... UNTIL the FULNESS of the Gentiles be come in [G1525]" (which I agree with the others who say this is distinct from "the TIMES of the Gentiles" in Lk21:24 speaking of Jerusalem being "TRODDEN DOWN" of the Gentiles until...; A wholly distinct matter, there.)

Romans 11:26-27 further... connects with Isaiah 27:9,12-13 (which passage connects with Matthew 24:29-31's "GREAT" trumpet, and notice "WHO" is being gathered [and BY WHOM], and "TO WHERE" and for what purpose, and IN WHAT MANNER they will be gathered ['ye shall be gathered ONE BY ONE, O ye children of Israel...'--distinct from the manner in which 'the Church which is His body' will be gathered ('AS ONE'--the 'ONE BODY'--'SNATCHED' in ONE 'SNATCH-action'!)]); Everything in Matthew 24:4 and onward (2chpts) is what takes place FOLLOWING "our Rapture"--which "Rapture" pertains solely to 'the Church which is His body'... not to all other saints of all OTHER time periods: not to OT saints, not to Trib saints, not to MK age saints.

[Romans 11:26-27 / Isaiah 27:9,12-13 / Matthew 24:29-31 / Dan9:24's time-prophecy regarding "Israel"... all connect]

Again, "the FULNESS of the Gentiles" (v.24) is contrasted with "THEIR FULNESS" (v.12)--These are not occurring in the same time-period... [see my LINKED post in my Post of earlier this morning]

Jun 20, 2022
If we believe the Jews will come to Christ later, and that now is the time of the Gentiles, should we not then pray more earnestly for the Arabs? For the record, I am certainly not against praying for Jews, but it seems to me that the reconciliation of the Arab people is more at hand.
Amen!

They are Abraham's seed as well.

God wants to be God of everyone equally!

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
and that now is the time of the Gentiles
The phrase as you have it ^ here, is not the biblical phrase. That phrase is "the TIMES of the Gentiles" and it is not referring to (something like) "the Church age presently" ('now'), as many suppose.

Rather, where Scripture speaks of it (Lk21:24), it is referring to "Gentile domination over Israel"--think: Neb's "dream/statue/image" with Neb as "head of gold"--it started in 606/605bc and will not be concluded until Christ's Second Coming to the earth (what Dan2:35c and Dan7:25,27 are speaking to), yet future.

The phrase, "the FULNESS of the Gentiles [be come in - G1525]" is something distinct from that (and relates to the post I put at a link in my Post #89 of this thread-- https://christianchat.com/threads/z...contradicted-by-scripture.210116/post-5045274 )

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
^ ... consider also the phrase "[if...] the DIMINISHING of them" (v.12), which is in the "now" (at least until the "UNTIL" of v.24 :D ), as it relates to "THEIR FULNESS" (which is yet future)

[also recall: Romans 11:15 corresponds with several passages regarding Israel's "future" which is LIKENED UNTO a "resurrection": Ezek37:12-14,20-23... Hosea 5:14-6:3... Daniel 12:1-3,4,10... Isaiah 26:13-21... etc]

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
The phrase as you have it ^ here, is not the biblical phrase. That phrase is "the TIMES of the Gentiles" and it is not referring to (something like) "the Church age presently" ('now'), as many suppose.

Rather, where Scripture speaks of it (Lk21:24), it is referring to "Gentile domination over Israel"--think: Neb's "dream/statue/image" with Neb as "head of gold"--it started in 606/605bc and will not be concluded until Christ's Second Coming to the earth (what Dan2:35c and Dan7:25,27 are speaking to), yet future.

The phrase, "the FULNESS of the Gentiles [be come in - G1525]" is something distinct from that (and relates to the post I put at a link in my Post #89 of this thread-- https://christianchat.com/threads/z...contradicted-by-scripture.210116/post-5045274 )
No. I don't think so.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
They possessed ALL the land as promised:

"Thus the LORD gave to Israel all the land that he swore to their ancestors that he would give them; and having taken possession of it, they settled there. And the LORD gave them rest on every side just as he had sworn to their ancestors; not one of all their enemies had withstood them, for the LORD had given all their enemies into their hands. Not one of all the good promises that the LORD had made to the house of Israel had failed; all came to pass." (Josh 21:43-45, NRSV)

"And you gave them kingdoms and peoples, and allotted to them every corner, so they took possession of the land of King Sihon of Heshbon and the land of King Og of Bashan. You multiplied their descendants like the stars of heaven, and brought them into the land that you had told their ancestors to enter and possess. So the descendants went in and possessed the land, and you subdued before them the inhabitants of the land, the Canaanites, and gave them into their hands, with their kings and the peoples of the land, to do with them as they pleased. And they captured fortress cities and a rich land, and took possession of houses filled with all sorts of goods, hewn cisterns, vineyards, olive orchards, and fruit trees in abundance; so they ate, and were filled and became fat, and delighted themselves in your great goodness." (Neh 9:22-25, NRSV)

They lost the land and kingdom due to disobedience:

"Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people that produces the fruits of the kingdom. The one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and it will crush anyone on whom it falls.” (Matt 21:43-44, NRSV)

"So they threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. What then will the owner of the vineyard do to them? He will come and destroy those tenants and give the vineyard to others.” When they heard this, they said, “Heaven forbid!” But he looked at them and said, “What then does this text mean: ‘The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone’?" (Luke 20:15-17, NRSV)

"Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such as these to worship him." (John 4:21-23, NRSV)

Many men of God in the past and present believed there was to be a mass conversion of Jews just prior to the second coming, Rom. 11:25ff. But in that passage there is no mention of .....

1. There is no mention of them going back to Palestine
2. There is no rebuilt temple in that passage
3. There are no thrones mentioned
4. Also no sacrifices mentioned as in a regression to the Old Covenant
5. Among the orthodox in the faith, the mass conversion of the Jews was seen to be to Christ and his church, not going back into Old Testament times in Palestine.

"Circumcision is nothing; uncircumcision is nothing; the only thing that counts is new creation! All who take this principle for their guide, peace and mercy be upon them, the Israel of God!" (Gal 6:15-16, REB)

"Yet God forbid that I should boast about anything or anybody except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, which means that the world is a dead thing to me and I am a dead man to the world. But in Christ it is not circumcision or uncircumcision that counts but the power of new birth. To all who live by this principle, to the true Israel of God, may there be peace and mercy!"
(Gal 6:14-16 Phillips)

Zionism is a "movement" not a religion,faith ect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionism everyone uses the word Zionism as if it is a religion,faith ect. like Christianity,,Judaism ect.

IsaiahA

Jan 24, 2023
As I said, this is a bad weather day for me. But we need to start at the beginning. There were covenants that God made with Abe and his descendants, and that was an unconditional and everlasting covenant. There is where we begin. That promise of land was expanded with the Palestinian Covenant. The Jews have not yet had all the land promised to them and that is where prophesy begins with Israels return in 1948. This is the beginning of the subject. If you're not around to discuss it I will wait until you return so we can continue.
Israel's land promise already fulfilled & completed: Gen. 15:18-21; Josh 21:43-45, 23:14-16; Ex. 23:27-30; Num. 34:1-12; 1 Kgs 4:20,21; 2 Chr. 9:22-28; Neh. 9:23, 24

I'm leaving on a trip, but even when at home I do not stay always on the Internet. When it takes such gymnastics to reject the scriptures above, I know the rejection is error, or worse.

"...and I fear, lest, as the serpent did beguile Eve in his subtilty, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in the Christ;" (2Cor 11:3, YLT)
"I am afraid that your minds will be corrupted and that you will abandon your full and pure devotion to Christ—in the same way that Eve was deceived by the snake's clever lies." (2Cor 11:3, GNB92)

The dispensationalist system is about as convoluted as you can get. No SANE person could read the Bible from scratch and come up with that system of theology! You have to be indoctrinated into it.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
Israel's land promise already fulfilled & completed.

Has Israel ever possessed the full land that God gave them in covenant? The answer is no. Never mind labels, right? Deal with the Book. Israel has never possessed the full land God gave them. They lost use of the land because of disobedience, but not the deed. That's not convoluted, that is simple, God made an unconditional everlasting promise and He will keep it. If not the New Covenant is as useless as the paper it's written on.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
They lost use of the land because of disobedience, but not the deed.
Actually, they (Israel the nation) never possessed the deed per se.
The Israelites were in fact tenants. YHVH was the Landlord.

They got the boot because of their transgressions against the Landlord.

IsaiahA

Jan 24, 2023
I find it incomprehensible how anyone can call themselves a Bible-believing Christian and say Joshua contains lies. Here is what is recorded by Joshua:

"Thus the LORD gave to Israel all the land which he swore to give to their fathers; and having taken possession of it, they settled there. And the LORD gave them rest on every side just as he had sworn to their fathers; not one of all their enemies had withstood them, for the LORD had given all their enemies into their hands. Not one of all the good promises which the LORD had made to the house of Israel had failed; all came to pass." (Josh 21:43-45, RSV)

“And now I am about to go the way of all the earth, and you know in your hearts and souls, all of you, that not one thing has failed of all the good things which the LORD your God promised concerning you; all have come to pass for you, not one of them has failed. But just as all the good things which the LORD your God promised concerning you have been fulfilled for you, so the LORD will bring upon you all the evil things, until he have destroyed you from off this good land which the LORD your God has given you, if you transgress the covenant of the LORD your God, which he commanded you, and go and serve other gods and bow down to them. Then the anger of the LORD will be kindled against you, and you shall perish quickly from off the good land which he has given to you.” (Josh 23:14-16, RSV)

The book of Joshua is dated around 1400 BC and here today, 3423 years later, dispensationalists say the statements I underlined are not true and are still awaiting fulfillment! Wow! I thought some used car salesmen are crooked and dishonest; but dispensationalists beat them hands down! Read the asinine reasons put forth to claim those are lies in Joshua. Apparently language can't convey truth according to these guys.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
The dispensationalist system is about as convoluted as you can get. No SANE person could read the Bible from scratch and come up with that system of theology! You have to be indoctrinated into it.
Yes devised in the 1880's and then how fortuitous Israel became a nation again.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Yes devised in the 1880's and then how fortuitous Israel became a nation again.
Indeed. And right on time mind you.....:geek:

http://watchmanbiblestudy.com/BibleStudies/HIStoryOurFuture/Ezekiels430Days.html

"Good morning. Yes, I DO in fact believe that the renewal of the Nation Israel is miraculous and prophetic.
See the contents of this post. BTW.....the number 2520 (360 X 7) itself is SUPER PROPHETIC by its very nature!

"2520 (360 day) years from both 606BC (1948 nation) and 586BC (1967 Jerusalem). Not a coincidence, not by a longshot.
The precise day for setting the start of prophetic clock is known for the 1967 retaking of Jerusalem."
Basically "430 years (Eze 4) minus 70 years time served times 7 more times for your sins (Lev 26) = 2520 years"

https://christianchat.com/threads/matthew-24-34-fig-tree-generation.209931/post-5032570

Furthermore, the so-called "temple mount" is NOT the location of the True Temple. The western wall and 36 acre platform is UNDOUBTEDLY Antonia Fortress complex! The Temple is ACTUALLY located to the south and lower in elevation, in the City of David......Israeli territory. They can rebuild the temple RIGHT NOW with no interference from the Muslims.

Take the time to read the content of what @VCO has compiled on his thread on the matter. GREAT research. He has done his homework!

https://christianchat.com/threads/t...oming-are-being-fulfilled.209446/post-5021500
https://christianchat.com/threads/third-temple-news.155526/post-5021275
https://christianchat.com/threads/third-temple-news.155526/post-5023983

"To be more clear (I was not), see this explanation:

From the first (1st) siege of Nebuchadnezzar [Daniel taken to Babylon]

to the Decree of Cyrus when the Persians conquered Babylon & Israel was released (70 years - servitude of the nation) + 2,484 years, 9 months, 2 days = May 14, 1948

From the third (3rd) siege of Nebuchadnezzar (levels Jerusalem in Av, 587 BC)

to Darius I (70 years - desolations of Jerusalem) + 2,484 years, 9 months, 2 days = June 6, 1967"