Did Jesus die to take the punishment for everyone's sins?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
You where answering lovinglee's question

You answered Yes..

[QUOTE
Whispers answer:::
]Yes. The Book of 1st John chapter 2
If Jesus took the punishment if Everyone's sins then NOBODY would ever be cast into the eternal lake of fire and face eternal punishment there.. But the Bible makes it clear that people shall be cast into the eternal lake of fire to face PUNISHMENT for their sins..

So people who believe Jesus will disagree with your answer of Yes and believe in the following scripture from the mouth of Jesus Himself that makes it Clear some will enter into everlasting punishment..

Matthew 25: KJV
41"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: {42} For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: {43} I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. {44} Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? {45} Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. {46} And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

So yeah i put a big fat red X response to your post and rightfully so..[/QUOTE] You are quite correct that I was answering LL's question. And in the course of your remarks you did not disagree with me, by your own posts, after you "disagreed" with the X .

You are either not aware of what you are saying, or someone else is borrowing your account and you don't follow up to see what they posted.. Because there is no "rightfully so" in your current post quoted above. Not if you wish to be perceived as current and aware of what your name appears on here in this thread in replies attributed to your account. After you claimed after you disagreed with me per the X toward my post#6, you said you have no disagreement with my reference to the Book of 1st John chapter 2.

Maybe you should go back to page one and read forward to see what you've done.

LeeLoving said:

I said in post #6: Yes. The Book of 1st John chapter 2

Then I asked you in my post#15 @ Adstar , how do you disagree with 1st. John? 🙁

And you replied in your post#39 I do not disagree with 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John is saying that His Atonement ( propitation ) is for all nations tribes peoples.. It is not just for jews or greeks but for sinners from every race of people.. In context with the entirety of that rest of the scriptures that is the way it is to be understood..

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Tell me how you understand romans 5:12-19 then

How did sin enter the world, according to Paul?
Person A murders person B on the other side of the planet. You have nothing to do with it. Does that make you a murderer? No, it doesn’t.

Jan 12, 2019
Person A murders person B on the other side of the planet. You have nothing to do with it. Does that make you a murderer? No, it doesn’t.
But that person A is not your representative before God. That is the difference between Adam and him.

Are you saying you disagree with what Paul was saying in Romans 5:12-13? Would you like to address those 2 verses?

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
If Jesus took the punishment if Everyone's sins then NOBODY would ever be cast into the eternal lake of fire and face eternal punishment there.. But the Bible makes it clear that people shall be cast into the eternal lake of fire to face PUNISHMENT for their sins..

So people who believe Jesus will disagree with your answer of Yes and believe in the following scripture from the mouth of Jesus Himself that makes it Clear some will enter into everlasting punishment..

Matthew 25: KJV
41"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: {42} For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: {43} I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. {44} Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? {45} Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. {46} And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

So yeah i put a big fat red X response to your post and rightfully so..
You are quite correct that I was answering LL's question. And in the course of your remarks you did not disagree with me, by your own posts, after you "disagreed" with the X .

You are either not aware of what you are saying, or someone else is borrowing your account and you don't follow up to see what they posted.. Because there is no "rightfully so" in your current post quoted above. Not if you wish to be perceived as current and aware of what your name appears on here in this thread in replies attributed to your account. After you claimed after you disagreed with me per the X toward my post#6, you said you have no disagreement with my reference to the Book of 1st John chapter 2.

Maybe you should go back to page one and read forward to see what you've done.

LeeLoving said:

I said in post #6: Yes. The Book of 1st John chapter 2

And you replied in your post#39 I do not disagree with 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John is saying that His Atonement ( propitation ) is for all nations tribes peoples.. It is not just for jews or greeks but for sinners from every race of people.. In context with the entirety of that rest of the scriptures that is the way it is to be understood..[/QUOTE]

My reply:::

I have no idea what point you are making here.. No idea at all.. I can see nothing wrong with my replies to your posts at all..

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Are you saying you disagree with what Paul was saying in Romans 5:12-13? Would you like to address those 2 verses?
Imagine that, a profound, unwavering believer in Jesus Christ who has questions and even two or three doubts about some aspects of the Bible. Oh the inhumanity!

Jan 12, 2019
Imagine that, a profound, unwavering believer in Jesus Christ who has questions and even two or three doubts about some aspects of the Bible. Oh the inhumanity!
You are talking about yourself I supposed? Okay, at least you are willing to state that you disagree with what Paul is saying.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
You are talking about yourself I supposed? Okay, at least you are willing to state that you disagree with what Paul is saying.
I have no shame with regards to sharing the deepest sentiments of my heart. My standing with God is not compromised because I have difficulty fully embracing a certain aspect of His Word. I believe Jesus is the Messiah, and I proclaim Him as my Lord and Savior. Everything else is an insignificant second.

14meatcc

Feb 17, 2020
San Diego
And whole world means just that, not the “whole world of the elect.”

1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

The Lord hath made all things for his own sake: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

14meatcc

Feb 17, 2020
San Diego
The Lord hath made all things for his own sake: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com

I have no idea what point you are making here.. No idea at all.. I can see nothing wrong with my replies to your posts at all..
How about if I keep my reply here simple and simply paste my last reply to you that somehow got all twisted around.

LeeLoving said:

I said in post #6: Yes. The Book of 1st John chapter 2 (this is the post you hit the "disagree" button on)

And you replied in your post#39 I underlined the first part so you could see your contradiction now to what is above this: I do not disagree with 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John is saying that His Atonement ( propitation ) is for all nations tribes peoples.. It is not just for jews or greeks but for sinners from every race of people.. In context with the entirety of that rest of the scriptures that is the way it is to be understood..

14meatcc

Feb 17, 2020
San Diego
How about if I keep my reply here simple and simply paste my last reply to you that somehow got all twisted around.

LeeLoving said:

I said in post #6: Yes. The Book of 1st John chapter 2 (this is the post you hit the "disagree" button on)

And you replied in your post#39 I underlined the first part so you could see your contradiction now to what is above this: I do not disagree with 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John is saying that His Atonement ( propitation ) is for all nations tribes peoples.. It is not just for jews or greeks but for sinners from every race of people.. In context with the entirety of that rest of the scriptures that is the way it is to be understood..

If you take context and make it pretext you can make the word of God fit what you want to. But if you read hebrews from chapter 5 you will see that Paul is addressing the falseness in the churches, the ones being elected to run the church and all the believers that act like they do now on television. for in chapter 6 verse 9 he says plainly that he don't expect the falsness from them, but that they do things concerning salvation. Not ritualistic over dramatized congregation pretending to believe and have the spirit. It's abundant in churches today.

Jan 12, 2019
I have no shame with regards to sharing the deepest sentiments of my heart. My standing with God is not compromised because I have difficulty fully embracing a certain aspect of His Word. I believe Jesus is the Messiah, and I proclaim Him as my Lord and Savior. Everything else is an insignificant second.
Well, as what Romans 5:12-19 beautifully put, if you have difficulty understanding that your sin came from Adam's disobedience and not yours, you will likewise have difficulty understanding that your righteousness comes from Jesus's obedience and not yours.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
If you take context and make it pretext you can make the word of God fit what you want to. But if you read hebrews from chapter 5 you will see that Paul is addressing the falseness in the churches, the ones being elected to run the church and all the believers that act like they do now on television. for in chapter 6 verse 9 he says plainly that he don't expect the falsness from them, but that they do things concerning salvation. Not ritualistic over dramatized congregation pretending to believe and have the spirit. It's abundant in churches today.
I'm not going to go further with this. Your disagreement and then saying you do not disagree make for a very strange exchange. One that doesn't seem to be something you're able to explain.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

LeeLoving said:

Yeah and there is nothing wrong with what i said.. No contradition at all.. Point out the contradiction or cease posting the accusation that there is a contradiction.. I already made it absolutly clear that i agreed with 1st John chapter 2 Why on earth do i have to repeat what i have already said before???

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Yeah and there is nothing wrong with what i said.. No contradition at all.. Point out the contradiction or cease posting the accusation that there is a contradiction.. I already made it absolutly clear that i agreed with 1st John chapter 2 Why on earth do i have to repeat what i have already said before???
Why on earth would you disagree with 1st John chapter 2 being posted and then later claim you agree ? No contradiction at all?
You have my deepest sympathies.

Mar 23, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. My name is Marc Strusa and I am an apostle and prophet of the Lord Jesus Christ by the will of God and not of man.

The Lord Jesus Christ wants to use this site during this trial and beyond to bless His people. Unfortunately wolves are being allowed to devour God's sheep here.

There is a vile man named Greggg who is bringing shame to the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and together with his minions he is bullying people into submission or banning those who do not now down.

I have contacted support multiple times but they have not responded. I paid to join so I could contact the leaders directly but despite paying my membership has not been activated.

I've been reaching out to other members but they have mocked me and chosen to turn a blind eye after minimal effort to help

Please go on the app and listen to Greggg for yourselves and then ask the Lord Jesus Christ to guide your response.

Our Heavenly Father wants to bless His people here but Satan's operatives must be expelled first.

Thank you to those who take up this cause. Together with the help of the Lord Jesus Christ we can make this sight great in glorifying God again.

J_A_C_K

Mar 28, 2020
A better question would be...
Did Jesus die to take the punishment for the sins of all those
who are going to be cast into the lake of fire?

I would have to humbly guess....NO

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Wasn't that the gospel? , To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. Luke 23:43
The thing is, Jesus said that to the thief after the he asked Jesus to remember him when He came into His kingdom. Gospel means 'good news' so yes, in that sense it was the gospel as it was good news for the thief.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Why on earth would you disagree with 1st John chapter 2 being posted and then later claim you agree ? No contradiction at all?
You have my deepest sympathies.
Are you for real?????

I NEVER disagreed with 1st John chapter 2..

I disagreed with your YES answer you typed in BEFORE you then typed in the Bible quote from 1st John chapter 2....

Is there anyone out there who upon reading the post in question does not see what my reply was saying?? Anyone??

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
Here's a new article on limited atonement by Kevin DeYoung.

The reason why limited atonement is important is that it teaches an ACTUAL atonement, not a HYPOTHETICAL atonement.

Free-willers deny that the atonement actually has reconciled anyone to God, but has only provided a theoretical atonement. Reformed individuals teach that the atonement actually liberated specific individuals, and this atonement will be applied to them at the proper time.

In the free-willer view, Jesus really did not die for his sheep, but he died for all mankind. In other words, there are individuals who suffer eternal punishment whom his atonement applied to. They are being punished for their sins, even though Jesus paid the cost for them.

Note: the author has limited his words to 500 in this description, so it is not a comprehensive treatment.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevin-deyoung/theological-primer-limited-atonement/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theological Primer - Limited Atonement
Kevin DeYoung

The doctrine of limited atonement—the L in TULIP—teaches that Christ effectively redeems from every people “only those who were chosen from eternity to salvation” (Canons of Dort, II.8). As Ursinus explains in his commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism, Christ’s death was for everyone “as it respects the sufficiency of satisfaction which he made, but not as it respects the application thereof.” In other words, the death of Christ was sufficient to atone for the sins of the whole world, but it was God’s will that it should effectively redeem those and only those who were chosen from eternity and given to Christ by the Father.

Particular redemption is often considered a more favorable term, because the point of the doctrine is not to limit the mercy of God, but to make clear that Jesus did not die in the place of every sinner on the earth, but for his particular people. The good shepherd lays his life down, not for the goats, but for the sheep (John 10:11). This is why John 6 says Jesus came to save those the Father had given to him, and why Matthew 1:21 says he died for his people, and John 15:13 says for his friends, and Acts 20:28 says for the church, and Ephesians 5:25 says for his bride, and Ephesians 1:4 says for those chosen in Christ Jesus.

The doctrine of particular redemption is worth defining and defending because it gets to the heart of the gospel. Should we say “Christ died so that sinners might come to him”? Or, “Christ died for sinners”? Did Christ’s work on the cross make it possible for sinners to come to God? Or did Christ’s work on the cross actually reconcile sinners to God? In other words, does the death of Jesus Christ make us save-able or does it make us saved?

If the atonement is not particularly and only for the sheep, then either we have universalism—Christ died in everyone’s place and therefore everyone is saved—or we have something less than full substitution. “We are often told that we limit the atonement of Christ,” Spurgeon observed, “because we say that Christ has not made a satisfaction for all men, or all men would be saved.” But, Spurgeon argued, it is the view of the atonement that says no one in particular was saved at the cross that actually limits Christ’s death. “We say Christ so died that he infallibly secured the salvation of a multitude that no man can number, who through Christ’s death not only may be saved, but are saved, must be saved, and cannot by any possibility run the hazard of being anything but saved.”

Christ does not come to us merely saying, “I’ve done my part. I laid down my life for everyone because I have saving love for everyone in the whole world. Now, if you would only believe and come to me I can save you.” Instead he says to us, I was pierced for your transgressions. I was crushed for your iniquities (Isa. 53:5). I have purchased with my blood men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation (Rev. 5:9). I myself bore your sins in my body on the tree, so that you might infallibly die to sins and assuredly live for righteousness. For my wounds did not merely make healing available. They healed you (1 Pet. 2:24).

“Amazing love!” a great Arminian once wrote. “How can it be that you, my God, should die for me?!” Praise be to our Good Shepherd who didn’t just make our salvation possible, but sustained the anger of God in body and soul, shouldered the curse, and laid down his life for the sheep.