First Thread: β˜•πŸ™‚πŸ‘πŸ“– Should the Bible Be the Text Book?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Yes. That is why I am not eligible to be nominated in my Church. No hermits allowed into the ministry. :cry:
being a hermit has nothing to do with it, if your seeking a pastors position, you need to meet the qualifications.

Joelightening

Feb 27, 2023
pastoral care is quite a different job to teaching. People tend to lump them in the same category.

Pastors (shepherds, shepherdesses) look after the sheep. Its a caregiving role, not necessarily a teaching one. I know many teachers who just want to impart knowledge and actually dont care about their students (disciples) wellbeing and safety.
There are 3 Greek words in the NT which mean pastor.

1. Poimen - S4166
2. Presbyteros - S4245
3. Episkopos - S1985

From those three words we get the English Presbyter, Elder, Pastor, Overseer, and Bishop. A careful study will reveal that these words referred to the same office in the first century Church. Later people began making unauthorized changes and thus we have the big mess today.

Pastors we're always men.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
There are 3 Greek words in the NT which mean pastor.

1. Poimen - S4166
2. Presbyteros - S4245
3. Episkopos - S1985

From those three words we get the English Presbyter, Elder, Pastor, Overseer, and Bishop. A careful study will reveal that these words referred to the same office in the first century Church. Later people began making unauthorized changes and thus we have the big mess today.

Pastors we're always men.
Many pastors will not consider being referred to as a bishop, for instance, because of the way the word has been bastardized by common misuse. The same is true, on the other hand, of some who take upon themselves titles only attributed to the Lord.
The same thing was practiced by those at the time of Jesus upon the Earth.

My exhaustive concordance was a valuable tool for word studies as a new believer, and continues to be. The Greek/ English word usage studies and simple cross references are great ways to learn the fact that you touched upon. Although dictionaries/ concordances aren't perfect, I recommend believers purchase the "larger" print Strongs or Vines when they've established a daily routine of reading through the Bible. There are others and free online, but I'm old school with hard copy in hand, pen and highlighter.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Actually Teaching is a different job from Pastoring altogether, As a teacher you would prepare lesson plans and develop a ciriculum for what you your teaching your students. While that is also a part of the duty of the pastor, the Pastor is also responcible for doing services, your sunday service, mid week bible studies, weddings, funerals, Baptisms and ordination services. On top of Doing home visitations, visitor visitations, hospital or nursing home visistations. Plus there are 2 entirely different qualifications as a teacher the position can be filled by a man or woman. The pastor has to be a man, married to a woman in accordance to scripture.

Ephesians 4:10-14
10. He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above the heavens, that he might fill all things.)
11. And he gave some, apostles; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12. For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13. Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of stature of the fullness of Christ.
14. That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lay in wait to deceive;

1st Timothy 3:1-7
1. This is a true saying. If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3. Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4. One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravety;
5. (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God) (cant make question mark work on this keyboard)
6. Not a novice, lest being filled up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7. Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

hope this helps.
Am not asking for help am just saying pastoring is different from teaching. Not sure why so many confuse the two or lump then together. Pastors have enough to do without adding teaching to their 'duties'.

While Jesus did teach (he had twelve students! He taught them for 3 years!) pastoring was the most important role for people who were not yet ready to learn. They just need to experience Gods love FIRST. The majority of people you tell the gospel to are only ready to be students when they decide, yes I want to learn everything about God and they are hungry for Him. Until then they are babes in Christ and mere toddlers that need love and care.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If you are a teacher, yes you can get your students to purchase their own materials, but most good schools will provide their students with everything needed to learn, including copies of the Bible.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Pastors provide blankets, hot drinks, shoes, bags, a listening ear, prayer if needed.

Pastoral care means you go to someone if they dont have transport. You call them, check they are ok. You feed them. Its basically pretty much like being a parent.

Mothers generally do all this already and then some but for a lot of men, being a dad is hard. They seem to have other things to do and negelect those who need care, especially those who are grown up but not able in whatever way, may be ill or sick or elderly.

Joelightening

Feb 27, 2023
Am not asking for help am just saying pastoring is different from teaching. Not sure why so many confuse the two or lump then together. Pastors have enough to do without adding teaching to their 'duties'.

While Jesus did teach (he had twelve students! He taught them for 3 years!) pastoring was the most important role for people who were not yet ready to learn. They just need to experience Gods love FIRST. The majority of people you tell the gospel to are only ready to be students when they decide, yes I want to learn everything about God and they are hungry for Him. Until then they are babes in Christ and mere toddlers that need love and care.
Pastoring can involve teaching. Remember Paul wrote about honoring elders (Pastors), with double honor to those who teach. I'll look up the scripture number if you want and get back.

SilverFox7

Dec 24, 2022
Grand Rapids, Michigan
The Bible is the foundation for robust small group discussions.

Sure, other resources are helpful to weave in, yet Scripture is the best primary source.

Yes, we have to wrestle our way through some challenging concepts, but we have the Holy Spirit to guide us into a deeper relationship with Jesus, the ultimate Word of God!
In a Bible Study I facilitated for several years, we used the following as one of our supplementary resources:

1677955648835.jpeg

Romans: Understanding God's Grace and Power (Christianity 101 Bible Studies): Bickel, Bruce, Jantz, Stan: 9780736909075: Amazon.com: Books

The authors provide sound doctrinal background and commentary, and the "Study the Word" sections have some great small group discussion questions that prompted some in-depth conversations in my group.

I have no problem just diving into the Bible and using that as the medium for discussions. Newer members tend to get intimidated by that, however, and a resource like the above can provide a bridge for a diverse small group.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014

Because a shepherds job is to feed the flock. Probably because most people don't want to do it.

Yeah even Jesus taught in the temple.

P

pottersclay

I think its better to remember this..

Pastors and teachers are to feed the sheep....not to entertain the goats.;)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The important issue for me is to teach the WHOLE Bible, not just the parts that support doctrine. I find very little of that happening today and it frightens me.
to really do that you have to understand and teach the thing that unifies all of scripture - that it's all testifying of Christ.

teaching about the types and Christology in the OT is sorely absent, and in large part why many churches don't teach from the OT at all, except once in a while to scare the parishioners into tithing, gleaning little more than "sin is bad" from what they read.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
You know guys, I have tried applying for pastoral jobs, mostly because I see a need for improvement in churches. I have applied to bible colleges and been rejected because I dont have the qualifications they want.
So Sad ---the only qualification to understand God's word should be the Holy Spirit ------and sadly most of the bible colleges have not the right qualification to understand the Rhema Word of God ---all they understand is the Reading of the Logos word and they use their own intellect to try and teach what is meant to be Spiritual -----

Jesus didn't say to the 12 they didn't have the right Qualifications ----He embraced Fishermen who had the right Faith and Character to become ---Fishers Of Men ------Fishermen have endurance ---patience--- stamina and are loyal to their profession ----all great Characteristics of what makes a good Pastor ---then add the Holy Spirit indwelling on the inside and you have the best teacher living on the inside of you -- you have all you need to be successful in that profession ---

1 John 2:26-27

Amplified Bible
26 These things I have written to you with reference to those who are trying to deceive you [seducing you and leading you away from the truth and sound doctrine].

27 As for you, the anointing [the special gift, the preparation] which you received from Him remains [permanently] in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you. But just as His anointing teaches you [giving you insight through the presence of the Holy Spirit] about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as His anointing has taught you, [a]you must remain in Him [being rooted in Him, knit to Him].

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Personal bragging....

Dad was asked more then once to go to a small town church and clean up the mess the former pastor had made.
Letter to the editor small town California

Cares for the flock

There is a great shepherd in our town. He watches over his flock day and night with great love and devotion. He will take in any stray lambs he finds or who come to him with out question or a second thought.
He condemns no one , he just loves and cares for his own lambs and any strays.
No, he is not our great Blessed Savior Christ who is here, but a very Christ -like man . He may be small in size , but he has a heart that out weighs his body. We how know him are very blessed .
We thank you shepherd Jack , for your love and devotion through this year.
A believer

proutled

May 9, 2023
texas
You know guys, I have tried applying for pastoral jobs, mostly because I see a need for improvement in churches. I have applied to bible colleges and been rejected because I dont have the qualifications they want.

It is discouraging, but I found a place online to obtain my ministers license. What I would like to do is find a job to persue the bachelor of ministry training my former pastor recommended through correspondence.

That course is about $80 to $100.00 Canadian once the fee and currencey exchange and taxes are included. I mean look at some of the heros of the faith. Joseph, he was a kid sold into slavery by his brothers. Went to prison based on false charges and eventually became second in command to Pharoh.

Moses, he wasnt an ellogent speaker, but he was willing to do Gods work and free the slaves from Egypt even though he killed a man and became a fugitive on the run.

King david, was a child when his ministry started, he killed the lion, the bear, then he killed Goliath in defence of his country. Eventually grew up to become a king.

I have a few good tools for studying, the Sword of the Lord software, a Strongs Greek and Hebrew referance book, I also have a membership at Christianbook.com, but ultimately the qualifications are for God to decide. Many are called but few are chose. It doesnt say anything about bible college or doctor of theology. It says to study to shew thyself approved, a workman who needeth not be ashamed rightly dividing the word of truth. GIve attendance to doctrine, Ultimately its the pastors job to educate his flock. I would even argue that education is the churches jurisdiction and not the governments.

IF your in Canada we also have the Christian Heritage Party of Canada, which is devoted to defending Canadas biblical foundation. as well as the Canadian Christian Business Federation for Christian business owners.
Hi how are you, I have a Idea if your calling is to be in the ministry just get into prayer and ask God, he'll tell you, God bless,

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Here is a man of God who gets great results to his prayer and teaches this.
This is his testimony at about 30 minutes

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Interesting ...

In DHT, Healing by Curry Blake February 21, 2017. The Divine Healing Technician (DHT) Training is the most effective divine healing training available.
Wnder if he was around to train the Apostles ?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Luke 11:2
β€œAnd he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.”

proutled

May 9, 2023
texas
Hi how are you, I have a Idea if your calling is to be in the ministry just get into prayer and ask God, he'll tell you, God bless,
hello, again, silly question, do you know your calling, what's your gifts, fast, and spent a lots of time with the holy spirit hes the one will give you revelation, he'll tell you, ok take care,