Was it the wrong side of the tracks...eg the other side of the railroad.
Do towns in the US all have a Main street? The typical western town is one where the shoot outs happen. I don't know if that still happens a la cowboys with their guns/high noon duel but that is the stereotype.
The only other thing I hear about is either drive-by shootings or school shootings, and the KKK lynchings. I don't pay much attention to 'true crime' or read it like some people love to do.
Here its mostly people go missing, and the NZ death is more drowning then waving. Or car crashes with drunk drivers. Every holiday, a 'road toll' is announced, it's nothing to do with paying the cost of using the road, it is actually a death toll of the number of people who died on the roads in that particular period.
Mostly those are accidents, but almost all of them have 'alcohol as a factor'. DV is also a thing, which is why we have Women's Refuges.