Match Game

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
@RodColeman I'm pretty sure I'm old enough to be your mother, BUT if I wasn't and if I wanted a sweet Christian potential hubby, I'd be PMing you before anyone else did🙏 Idk what's up but so many on here lament about being single and when a really cool guy appears....crickets. I hope I'm wrong and you get some interesting pm's, 🙏😂🙌🙌🙌

This is awesome, @TabinRivCA!

You've always been so kind to us singles, thank you.

I know you'd love to see more people get matched up here... If it's any consolation, I know two couples who met on CC (but are no longer here) that are happily married.

So I just wanted to let you know that it DOES happen occasionally, and all your hard work and prayers aren't for nothing. 🥰
 
I think there is a difference between being content with your life and not wanting someone to share it with. You can be thankful for the life God has given you and still wish you had someone special beside you.

For me, I do believe there is some waiting involved. Not because I think I should just sit around waiting for some mysterious soulmate to show up, but because I believe some things happen when the time is right.
And honestly, I’m not really looking for anyone. I already know the man I would want to share my life with. He has been part of my life before and in a way, he still is. So I’m not looking for someone new. I’m simply waiting to see when God says the timing is right for both of us.
Maybe I’m a hopeless romantic, but I believe that when God is leading something, even distance doesn’t have to be an obstacle.
Until then, I’m happy to live my life, enjoy what God has given me and leave the timing in His hands. I don’t think hope and contentment have to be opposites. I think you can have both.

I would love to hear what others think: can you trust God’s timing and be happy with the life you have, while still hoping that someday the right person will come into your life?
 
  • Pray
Reactions: seoulsearch
I think there is a difference between being content with your life and not wanting someone to share it with. You can be thankful for the life God has given you and still wish you had someone special beside you.

For me, I do believe there is some waiting involved. Not because I think I should just sit around waiting for some mysterious soulmate to show up, but because I believe some things happen when the time is right.
And honestly, I’m not really looking for anyone. I already know the man I would want to share my life with. He has been part of my life before and in a way, he still is. So I’m not looking for someone new. I’m simply waiting to see when God says the timing is right for both of us.
Maybe I’m a hopeless romantic, but I believe that when God is leading something, even distance doesn’t have to be an obstacle.
Until then, I’m happy to live my life, enjoy what God has given me and leave the timing in His hands. I don’t think hope and contentment have to be opposites. I think you can have both.

I would love to hear what others think: can you trust God’s timing and be happy with the life you have, while still hoping that someday the right person will come into your life?

Personally, I'm not sure if waiting on "God's timing" is a good strategy. Especially if you're, say 25 or older. God doesn't promise marriage to any of us. How are you supposed to trust God to fulfill a promise that He never made to you?

Does this guy know you like him? Have you talked to him about that?
 
I think there is a difference between being content with your life and not wanting someone to share it with. You can be thankful for the life God has given you and still wish you had someone special beside you.

For me, I do believe there is some waiting involved. Not because I think I should just sit around waiting for some mysterious soulmate to show up, but because I believe some things happen when the time is right.
And honestly, I’m not really looking for anyone. I already know the man I would want to share my life with. He has been part of my life before and in a way, he still is. So I’m not looking for someone new. I’m simply waiting to see when God says the timing is right for both of us.
Maybe I’m a hopeless romantic, but I believe that when God is leading something, even distance doesn’t have to be an obstacle.
Until then, I’m happy to live my life, enjoy what God has given me and leave the timing in His hands. I don’t think hope and contentment have to be opposites. I think you can have both.

I would love to hear what others think: can you trust God’s timing and be happy with the life you have, while still hoping that someday the right person will come into your life?


Great post, thanks very much for sharing.

You have me thinking about something I find curious.

In Christian communities, singles get, well, singled out for a spiritual scolding regarding "waiting on the Lord" and "learning to be content in our situation." I guess it's because singles are seen as young, naive, and inexperienced at life -- which can be true.

But not anymore for the majority crowd here in CC Singles now.

I'm sure there are support groups and discussions elsewhere out there, but you don't hear much on this forum about what married people long for, and chances are, many are longing for something.

Why aren't the same principles repeated so often to singles also given to marrieds? Because this also applies to say, married couples trying to have a child. Or those already having children and wanting to expand their family... Or those having a boy/girl and really wanting a child of the gender that they don't already have.

I think we've all known marrieds who have been in at least a little (sometimes a lot) of anguish over this. But the singles are the ones who are so often seen as spiritually immature for not "accepting our completeness" in the Lord. While I definitely agree that a single needs to be at least somewhat comfortable with their own company before marrying, it makes me wonder why longing for something Godly is seen as a such a shortcoming specifically in the single world.

In married circles, the same kind of longing, but for something else, is just seen as normal, and not a spiritual weakness.

Abraham desperately wanted a son -- so much that he impregnated a woman other than his wife while trying to get one.

Hannah wanted a son to the point where her husband was so hurt that he asked, "Am I not better to you than 10 sons?" (1 Samuel 1:8) In other words, Hannah's husband was asking, "Am I not enough?" But yet, her longing did not stop.

And of course, a spouse isn't the same as a child. But I think it's a similar classification of longing -- having the Lord and other various blessings in your life that "should" make you "content" -- but yet you have such strong desires for Godly things like marriage and/or kids that don't yet exist, it feels like a constantly heavy burden.

I think this is something that also doesn't get talked about enough -- even if you do get married to the best spouse in the world, you'll just start longing for other things (a child, a better job to pay for a family, a house in a certain neighborhood with good schools for the kids, another child...) In this life at least, I don't think the wanting ever ends.

So almost all of us are in a stating of having, but yet wanting and waiting -- and always will be.

For myself, I think God has given me a dose of "spiritual GLP-1" -- He's quieted some of the noise of wanting -- and turned my attention to other things.


@SoulFaith, I loved reading your story about the person you believe is the right one.

May God grant you the desires of your heart, according to His will, and please keep us posted. 💐🙏🏼💖
 
hi everyone, i'm married. simply i'll say this on how i handled rejection: "alright, bye"! & that was the end of that. i just walked away & forgot about it.
o
yep
or just hang up the phone/ghost

its just a date, not an official engagement
 
Great post, thanks very much for sharing.

You have me thinking about something I find curious.

In Christian communities, singles get, well, singled out for a spiritual scolding regarding "waiting on the Lord" and "learning to be content in our situation." I guess it's because singles are seen as young, naive, and inexperienced at life -- which can be true.

But not anymore for the majority crowd here in CC Singles now.

I'm sure there are support groups and discussions elsewhere out there, but you don't hear much on this forum about what married people long for, and chances are, many are longing for something.

Why aren't the same principles repeated so often to singles also given to marrieds? Because this also applies to say, married couples trying to have a child. Or those already having children and wanting to expand their family... Or those having a boy/girl and really wanting a child of the gender that they don't already have.

I think we've all known marrieds who have been in at least a little (sometimes a lot) of anguish over this. But the singles are the ones who are so often seen as spiritually immature for not "accepting our completeness" in the Lord. While I definitely agree that a single needs to be at least somewhat comfortable with their own company before marrying, it makes me wonder why longing for something Godly is seen as a such a shortcoming specifically in the single world.

In married circles, the same kind of longing, but for something else, is just seen as normal, and not a spiritual weakness.

Abraham desperately wanted a son -- so much that he impregnated a woman other than his wife while trying to get one.

Hannah wanted a son to the point where her husband was so hurt that he asked, "Am I not better to you than 10 sons?" (1 Samuel 1:8) In other words, Hannah's husband was asking, "Am I not enough?" But yet, her longing did not stop.

And of course, a spouse isn't the same as a child. But I think it's a similar classification of longing -- having the Lord and other various blessings in your life that "should" make you "content" -- but yet you have such strong desires for Godly things like marriage and/or kids that don't yet exist, it feels like a constantly heavy burden.

I think this is something that also doesn't get talked about enough -- even if you do get married to the best spouse in the world, you'll just start longing for other things (a child, a better job to pay for a family, a house in a certain neighborhood with good schools for the kids, another child...) In this life at least, I don't think the wanting ever ends.

So almost all of us are in a stating of having, but yet wanting and waiting -- and always will be.

For myself, I think God has given me a dose of "spiritual GLP-1" -- He's quieted some of the noise of wanting -- and turned my attention to other things.


@SoulFaith, I loved reading your story about the person you believe is the right one.

May God grant you the desires of your heart, according to His will, and please keep us posted. 💐🙏🏼💖

Well, it is a Christian Singles Forum, after all. :ROFL:

I think a lot of this comes back to how people interpret the idea of "contentment." A lot of times, as a Christian single, people will tell you that The Good Christian Thing To Do is to learn to be "content" with your singleness. And, supposedly, the way to become content with it is to repress your desire, or focus on it "less," or do more "ministry." Of course, the Bible doesn't teach us these things.

Also, when you're single, you're "unmarried." We don't call married people "unsingle," do we? To a lot of people, marriage is the goal, and singleness is the second-best consolation prize, the "gift" that nobody wants. The thing you have to "learn" to like, or "learn" to be "content" with. And sometimes, in church, the desires for romance/marriage/sex can be portrayed as "worldly" or unimportant or almost "carnal." "There's more important things than marriage, you know." Or "Remember, single folks....your Number One Priority is JESUS!" :ROFL: One well-meaning singleness book I've read put it this way: "You're not going to die if you never have sex." :ROFL:

Touching on another point you made, think sometimes in Christian circles, married folks can be viewed as more "mature" than single folks. Marriage can sometimes be seen as a rite of passage, some sign that you're all "grown up."

I mean, when you get married, what do your friends and family do? They're happy for you. They congratulate you. They throw a big, expensive party called a wedding. We don't do anything like that for people who are single, or people who stay single, or people who choose to stay single (not that I think we should, I have no idea how such a celebration should go :ROFL: ) When you're single, well-meaning people will try to encourage you about how "your turn will come" or ask you when it'll come.

Even worse, as you get older, people start to speculate less and less about when or if you'll ever get married, and conclude that "Well, it must just be God's Plan for you to stay single." So, shut up, be content, stop whining, and get involved in "ministry."

To some Christians, maybe unconsciously, marriage is a sign of "maturity," so staying single can affect how others view your maturity, and, well, that can be painful sometimes.

I also liked your examples of childlessness. I know this is a different issue from singleness, but it’s interesting to look at the role of desire and emotion here. Rebekah was barren and prayed for a child. Rachel was heartbroken about her barrenness and basically demanded children from Jacob. Hannah cried bitterly and openly about her inability to have children, and Eli (after misunderstanding her) prayed for God to grant her request. When Jephthah’s daughter becomes a lifelong virgin (something she never has a choice in) she gathers her friends and spends two whole months in literal mourning. Where in the Bible are these people criticized or condemned for “idolatry”? Or for “whining” and “complaining”? Or being "discontent"? Nowhere.

Some of this is just part of living in a fallen world. In the Garden of Eden, when the world was perfect, God gave Adam a wife. The world was perfect, but God still said it "wasn't good" that man was alone. But then what happened? Mankind rebelled, sin entered the world, and everything has been screwed up ever since. I think this is important to note when talking about singleness. In Paradise, when things were perfect, there was marriage. In the post-Fall world, there’s people who desire marriage, but it doesn’t work out for them. It’s one of the many genuine disappointments that we all have to deal with in a fallen, sinful world. It’s OK to recognize it as such. Jesus even alludes to that in Matthew 19. I don't like it when people (often married people) try to minimize that, or dismiss it as some kind of First World Problem, or tell you things like "Marriage is not your Number One Priority, Jesus is!" blah, blah, blah.

Yes, some people willfully remain single. Some remain single, however, even when they don't want it. I do believe that there's some people who lack the gift of celibacy who still won't be able to marry. I mean, I've often read that there's more Christian women in the world than there are men. If that's broadly true, it means that not everyone will be able to find someone to marry, even if they have strong desires. And in Matthew 19, when Jesus talks about people who don't marry, he mentions a few different types: people who choose to live that way, people who are made that way by God, and people who are made that way by "other men." So some people stay single, and it's not because they chose it or because God chose it. It's just how life turned out. it wasn't their plan, and it wasn't "God's plan" either.

Yes, God is good. But we live in a world that is not good.
 
Well, it is a Christian Singles Forum, after all. :ROFL:

I think a lot of this comes back to how people interpret the idea of "contentment." A lot of times, as a Christian single, people will tell you that The Good Christian Thing To Do is to learn to be "content" with your singleness. And, supposedly, the way to become content with it is to repress your desire, or focus on it "less," or do more "ministry." Of course, the Bible doesn't teach us these things.

Also, when you're single, you're "unmarried." We don't call married people "unsingle," do we? To a lot of people, marriage is the goal, and singleness is the second-best consolation prize, the "gift" that nobody wants. The thing you have to "learn" to like, or "learn" to be "content" with. And sometimes, in church, the desires for romance/marriage/sex can be portrayed as "worldly" or unimportant or almost "carnal." "There's more important things than marriage, you know." Or "Remember, single folks....your Number One Priority is JESUS!" :ROFL:One well-meaning singleness book I've read put it this way: "You're not going to die if you never have sex." :ROFL:

Touching on another point you made, think sometimes in Christian circles, married folks can be viewed as more "mature" than single folks. Marriage can sometimes be seen as a rite of passage, some sign that you're all "grown up."

I mean, when you get married, what do your friends and family do? They're happy for you. They congratulate you. They throw a big, expensive party called a wedding. We don't do anything like that for people who are single, or people who stay single, or people who choose to stay single (not that I think we should, I have no idea how such a celebration should go :ROFL: ) When you're single, well-meaning people will try to encourage you about how "your turn will come" or ask you when it'll come.

Even worse, as you get older, people start to speculate less and less about when or if you'll ever get married, and conclude that "Well, it must just be God's Plan for you to stay single." So, shut up, be content, stop whining, and get involved in "ministry."

To some Christians, maybe unconsciously, marriage is a sign of "maturity," so staying single can affect how others view your maturity, and, well, that can be painful sometimes.

I also liked your examples of childlessness. I know this is a different issue from singleness, but it’s interesting to look at the role of desire and emotion here. Rebekah was barren and prayed for a child. Rachel was heartbroken about her barrenness and basically demanded children from Jacob. Hannah cried bitterly and openly about her inability to have children, and Eli (after misunderstanding her) prayed for God to grant her request. When Jephthah’s daughter becomes a lifelong virgin (something she never has a choice in) she gathers her friends and spends two whole months in literal mourning. Where in the Bible are these people criticized or condemned for “idolatry”? Or for “whining” and “complaining”? Or being "discontent"? Nowhere.

Some of this is just part of living in a fallen world. In the Garden of Eden, when the world was perfect, God gave Adam a wife. The world was perfect, but God still said it "wasn't good" that man was alone. But then what happened? Mankind rebelled, sin entered the world, and everything has been screwed up ever since. I think this is important to note when talking about singleness. In Paradise, when things were perfect, there was marriage. In the post-Fall world, there’s people who desire marriage, but it doesn’t work out for them. It’s one of the many genuine disappointments that we all have to deal with in a fallen, sinful world. It’s OK to recognize it as such. Jesus even alludes to that in Matthew 19. I don't like it when people (often married people) try to minimize that, or dismiss it as some kind of First World Problem, or tell you things like "Marriage is not your Number One Priority, Jesus is!" blah, blah, blah.

Yes, some people willfully remain single. Some remain single, however, even when they don't want it. I do believe that there's some people who lack the gift of celibacy who still won't be able to marry. I mean, I've often read that there's more Christian women in the world than there are men. If that's broadly true, it means that not everyone will be able to find someone to marry, even if they have strong desires. And in Matthew 19, when Jesus talks about people who don't marry, he mentions a few different types: people who choose to live that way, people who are made that way by God, and people who are made that way by "other men." So some people stay single, and it's not because they chose it or because God chose it. It's just how life turned out. it wasn't their plan, and it wasn't "God's plan" either.

Yes, God is good. But we live in a world that is not good.

Yup, this is the Singles Forum, no doubt about it.

I thought of the family comparison though because I've also spent a lot of time hanging out in the Family Forum in the years I've been here.

There have been a few posts about longing for a child over the years, but I can't recall anyone being talked down like it happens in singles.

It bothers me that Singles are always the ones who usually wind up being condescended to -- on a very regular basis, both online and in real life.
 
Oh my turn.You are at karaoke. You need to choose a duet for your next song. What do you choose?


This is after a girl group has just done the Supremes. You can't hurry love
 
Yup, this is the Singles Forum, no doubt about it.

I thought of the family comparison though because I've also spent a lot of time hanging out in the Family Forum in the years I've been here.

There have been a few posts about longing for a child over the years, but I can't recall anyone being talked down like it happens in singles.

It bothers me that Singles are always the ones who usually wind up being condescended to -- on a very regular basis, both online and in real life.

Yeah. I don't know if I'll ever marry. But, if I do, I hope I can avoid saying all the things to them that annoyed me when I was single.
 
  • Pray
Reactions: seoulsearch
Yeah. I don't know if I'll ever marry. But, if I do, I hope I can avoid saying all the things to them that annoyed me when I was single.

AMEN, Brother!!!

I'll hear 22-year-old singles crying, "I'll NEVER find ANYONE!!!" and I know it very much feels that way!!!

But oh my goodness.

I have to bite my tongue -- several times -- and ask God to please keep me from talking down to them the way others did to me, and sometimes still do.
 
Also, you can only choose two songs. There is a long waiting list, so they need to be good ones.

Oh, and there's no pressure!!!

But if you don't choose GOOD songs, I'm outta here!! 😒

(Just kidding!!)

Although it DOES remind me of times when I've been stuck on hours-long car rides with people who only had one cassette tape that they played over, and over, and over...

And it wasn't particularly one that I liked.
 
Oh, and there's no pressure!!!

But if you don't choose GOOD songs, I'm outta here!! 😒

(Just kidding!!)

Although it DOES remind me of times when I've been stuck on hours-long car rides with people who only had one cassette tape that they played over, and over, and over...

And it wasn't particularly one that I liked.
Are you hedging or you just can't choose right now? You have time to think about it, but not too long. Karaoke is usually 2 hours tops and most people choose different ones, so it's kind of like a mixed tape.
 
Before the internet, many people met their spouses at work.

On a related note, I'm sure one of the reasons more people are single now is because now there's just more options, which makes it harder to choose. Now you can chat with and date people who live in different cities, states, countries, even. So people have more time to skip over people and look or wait for somebody "better." before, people got married younger, because they didn't know when or if a "better match" would come along.

And maybe people thought a little less about how important physical attraction was. Apparently, one of the theories about the origin of not seeing the bride before the wedding was so that the neither party would make a run for it because they weren’t attracted. :ROFL:
 
  • Like
Reactions: seoulsearch