Some truth about speaking in tongues, the Holy Ghost, spiritual gifts and 1 Corinthians 14

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

7seasrekeyed

Garee, the above is an example of convoluted bafflegab. I'm sure it has meaning to you, but because it is so poorly constructed, it is not going to have much meaning to anyone else. Again, I encourage you to take a writing course, or at least to look at how sentences are constructed in the KJV... and try to emulate the simplicity of form you will find there.

just learned a new word

bafflegab

thanks for the chuckle

U

UnderGrace

Garee, the above is an example of convoluted bafflegab. I'm sure it has meaning to you, but because it is so poorly constructed, it is not going to have much meaning to anyone else. Again, I encourage you to take a writing course, or at least to look at how sentences are constructed in the KJV... and try to emulate the simplicity of form you will find there.
This kinda sounds like what Paul was writing to the Corinthians :unsure::)

Mar 28, 2016
Not according to 1 Corinthians 14.
In reference to what portion of 1 Corinthians 14? God thoughts revealed to mankind?

If tongues do not equal prophecy "God's interpretation" then what do they equal as a understanding ? Private interpretations?

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Orderly Worship in a Pentecostal service
26 What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.
27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret.
28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.
29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.
30 If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent.
31 For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged,
32 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets.
33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.

And so when our church comes together for a worship service this is exactly what we do.
The three voice gifts of the Holy Spirit are conducted decently and in order as per scripture.

Now in the gifts of prophecy more than once God has explained clearly and directly that the ONLY sign he has given for disciples
to know with truth that they have received God's Spirit is as scripture declares speaking in a new tongue.
Through the gift of prophecy God elaborates much on the necessity to pray in the spiritual language that he has given to his
children by his Spirit; for praying in tongues is praying in the Holy Spirit and that is when rivers of living water do flow out from us.
Praying in the Spirit = praying in tongues and enables the power of the Holy Spirit to work within our hearts and souls; our minds
and bodies; building up our faith and submitting our will to God.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Wonder if bafflegab is related to lollygag or buffoon ? LOL
Gab = talk or words; baffle = confuse

Bafflegab = confusing words

Idiomatically, "bafflegab" is overly convoluted language that results in less understanding rather than more.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
In reference to what portion of 1 Corinthians 14? God thoughts revealed to mankind?
1 Corinthians 14:1-5 (KJV; emphasis added):
1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Verse 1 mentions prophesying.
Verse 2 mentions tongues and verse 3 CONTRASTS prophesying with tongues.
Verse 4 CONTRASTS prophesying with tongues.
Verse 5 CONTRASTS prophesying with tongues, then declares one greater than the other.

If tongues is prophesying, then how can prophesying be greater than tongues?

If tongues do not equal prophecy "God's interpretation" then what do they equal as a understanding ? Private interpretations?
*sigh*

Jul 23, 2018
The Holy Ghost was poured out on the day of Pentecost as promised in the scriptures. Johns disciples hadn’t heard of the promise of the Holy Ghost yet. The book of Acts was transitioning between the Old and New Testaments. The promise of the comforter was given but not until Christ ascended back into Heaven. That was early in the church during the giving of the promised Holy Ghost. Scripture clearly proves that anyone today who is saved receives the promise of the Holy Ghost the moment they trust Christ. The teaching of being saved without having the Holy Ghost is false doctrine. That’s in no epistles to the church!!!! What’s is in those epistles is that if you don’t have the Holy Ghost you do NOT belong to Jesus Christ = not saved!
It says they recieved the Holy Ghost after salvation.
And it was by the laying on of hands.
Show me anywhere salvation is or was recieved by laying on of hands
So the bible shows the baptism in the Holy Ghost as a SEPARATE experience.
Jesus said the Father gives the Holy Spirit to those that Ask him.
It is hapening today.
You are talking from mental talking points. Not Gods word.

Jul 23, 2018
I might distill those two elements a bit further by clarifying that the bible declares that they 1. believed at one point, then 2. received the the Holy Ghost at another point...but it doesn't state that they received "salvation" at a particular point in those accounts.

I know that goes directly against what many of us have been taught by our churches, but please consider the following earnestly:

If a person MUST receive the Holy ghost in order to be "saved" then "salvation" cannot be implied at the moment of belief in any case where the bible clarifies that those particular believers have NOT yet received the Holy Ghost.

It is possible to believe, but still need to wait, endure, abide, tarry, pray for the outpouring of the Holy Ghost. That was true of the those in the upper room in Acts 2. It was true of those in Samaria in Acts 8. It was true of those in Ephesus in Acts 19. And it is still true all around the globe today.

The accounts in the book of Acts (bible) were accurate and applicable in the day they were recorded. And those accounts are still just as accurate and applicable today.

Thank God for his abiding faithfulness. "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today, and forever" -Hebrews 8:13
Yep.
Pretty much so

Jul 23, 2018
Allow me to rephrase then please, where in scripture is anyone born again without receiving the promise of the Holy Ghost to seal them? According to John 3 we must be born again/ born of the Spirit.
Jesus most likely never was severed from the Father,or the Holy Ghost.
And yet the Holy Spirit descended on Him at the Jordan.
If i have a dollar or a million dollars i still have money.
I can have a trickle,salvation,or a river,pentecost.
It not the same.
Ask anyone thats received the baptism in the Holy Ghost. It is like an electric wire.

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
Orderly Worship in a Pentecostal service
26 What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.
27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret.
28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.
29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.
30 If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent.
31 For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged,
32 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets.
33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.

And so when our church comes together for a worship service this is exactly what we do.
The three voice gifts of the Holy Spirit are conducted decently and in order as per scripture.

Now in the gifts of prophecy more than once God has explained clearly and directly that the ONLY sign he has given for disciples
to know with truth that they have received God's Spirit is as scripture declares speaking in a new tongue.
Through the gift of prophecy God elaborates much on the necessity to pray in the spiritual language that he has given to his
children by his Spirit; for praying in tongues is praying in the Holy Spirit and that is when rivers of living water do flow out from us.
Praying in the Spirit = praying in tongues and enables the power of the Holy Spirit to work within our hearts and souls; our minds
and bodies; building up our faith and submitting our will to God.
Just a sidetrack question.. you mentioned pentecostal service. Do you believe in oneness?

Jul 23, 2018
I actually like the 5 minute rule because it allows us some time for repair, but keeps us from endlessly editing (or deleting and denying) things we've actually said. :)
A 10 or even 30 minute deadline would serve the same purpose,and more reasonably so.

Jul 23, 2018
1 Corinthians 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

So like ive asked all those who speak in tounges and claim they have the Holy Spirit (I have strong doubts that some of these people truly have the HS) I ask them to pray to interpret. And none have yet to be able to do so. But Paul here says to pray that he may be able to interpret or else its unfruitful.

Our Spirit prays glorifies and worships God without the need of any unknown tounge or babble. Jesus taught not to pray in these vain repetitions and babblings. He called those who did so "hypocrites". Matt. 6:7

Yes I do have the Holy Spirit and I dont speak in tounges nor do I wish to speak in tounges. I wish to prophesy like Paul recommends us all to do. Speaking in tounges was the sign at pentecost. There was a mighty wind and thousands recieved the out pouring. Cloven tounges with fire apeared on each of them. They prophesied and spoke in tounges in Acts. Modern churches disregard prophesying since it cannot be counterfeited and heavily rely on babblings which anyone can do.

Its a shame to see how people speak in tounges and add laughing and rolling around to be something of God. But when did they break out laughing and rolling around in the dirt in the book of Acts.

Im not saying they didnt speak in tounges at the outpouring at Pentecost, im only saying thats not the only way we recieve the Holy Spirit. And speaking in tounges is not the only evidence. The fruits of the Spirit are evidence. The person knowing the truth.

I had a tounge speaker read a verse from scripture and he butchered it with his interpretation that it was almost comical, but when you have the Holy Spirit its painful and hurts your Spirit. (Like gut wrenching.) The guy claimed he was reading the bible with spiritual eyes. Well its not the Holy Spirit. I stay away from someone like that. So I concluded all his tounge talking was all demonic or just fake.

The point im making is that he claims to be a man of God. If the Holy Spirit doesnt line up then its not the Holy Spirit. And theres only demons or evil spirits as any other spirit the person might have.
All you are doing is cherry picking to twist the truth.
The following verses CLEARLY depict tongues in private use,which is a transaction between God and the pray- er,vs being with other believers where either prophesy or an interpreter would edify the assembly.
But of course you NEED IT to say something else.
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

SEE THAT????
IT CLEARLY,CLEARLY supports what i amd thousands other H S baptised believers practice,and enjoy the FACT that the bible AUTHENTICATES it,but you call it demonic.
Wow,you got some heavy duty repenting calling the Holy Spirit demonic.

You see,when ANYONE prays for the Holy Spirit.satan CANNOT ANSWER that prayer.
We are guaranteed the Holy Spirit.

You should not ,in your mind, flippantly attribute the work of the Holy Spirit to satan.
It is chilling.
Repulsive.

Oh,and concerning laughter,the bible says "joy" is my strength.
My strength.
Look up " joy unspeakable"
(Yet another heavenly blessing you attribute to satan)

Jul 23, 2018
Allow me to rephrase then please, where in scripture is anyone born again without receiving the promise of the Holy Ghost to seal them? According to John 3 we must be born again/ born of the Spirit.
Easy
By your own framing of it we see they are inseparable.
So how is the Father not also involved.

But in acts they got a special separate impartation.
Unless you see someone getting saved by laying on of hands.
You have no case whatsoever.

Jul 23, 2018
And if they are brethren they indeed have the Spirit of Christ!
Then Jesus was wasting his time at His ascention.
He breathed on them and said " receive the Holy Spirit"
According to your doctrine,they as belivers already had it.
I guess you think all those born again believers in the upper room were disenchanted also.
You really shoulda been there to straighten them out.

Jul 23, 2018
According to my Google search “ro bo ko” is an andriod with feminine features. Now add “so” to it and there you go!

Now isn’t that answer more real and probable than any other answers you’ll get? I could’ve told you that meant “God is promoting you” or whatever and you either believe MY WORDS by faith or you don’t! Period! I’d rather out my faith in what I can understand (the words of God) or in your case Roboko.

1 Corinthians 14:19 KJV
[19] Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

I’d rather give you five words from scripture than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. It’s called unknown for a reason! It’s actually an UNKNOWN tongue!
Bingo
You prove you can twist what is there.
Such a "gift"!!!!
Show us more!!!

Jul 23, 2018
Baptism means cleansing

If your not baptised (by God) your not cleansed. Period
The blood cleanses. Not baptism.
Did you look up the word?
ORDINANCE OF WATER BAPTISM[edit] The word "Baptism" is a transliteration of the Greek word BAPTIZO which means to immerse. In Hebrew it is referred to as a MIKVEH - an immersion.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
1 Corinthians 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

So like ive asked all those who speak in tounges and claim they have the Holy Spirit (I have strong doubts that some of these people truly have the HS) I ask them to pray to interpret. And none have yet to be able to do so. But Paul here says to pray that he may be able to interpret or else its unfruitful.

Our Spirit prays glorifies and worships God without the need of any unknown tounge or babble. Jesus taught not to pray in these vain repetitions and babblings. He called those who did so "hypocrites". Matt. 6:7

Yes I do have the Holy Spirit and I dont speak in tounges nor do I wish to speak in tounges. I wish to prophesy like Paul recommends us all to do. Speaking in tounges was the sign at pentecost. There was a mighty wind and thousands recieved the out pouring. Cloven tounges with fire apeared on each of them. They prophesied and spoke in tounges in Acts. Modern churches disregard prophesying since it cannot be counterfeited and heavily rely on babblings which anyone can do.

Its a shame to see how people speak in tounges and add laughing and rolling around to be something of God. But when did they break out laughing and rolling around in the dirt in the book of Acts.

Im not saying they didnt speak in tounges at the outpouring at Pentecost, im only saying thats not the only way we recieve the Holy Spirit. And speaking in tounges is not the only evidence. The fruits of the Spirit are evidence. The person knowing the truth.

I had a tounge speaker read a verse from scripture and he butchered it with his interpretation that it was almost comical, but when you have the Holy Spirit its painful and hurts your Spirit. (Like gut wrenching.) The guy claimed he was reading the bible with spiritual eyes. Well its not the Holy Spirit. I stay away from someone like that. So I concluded all his tounge talking was all demonic or just fake.

The point im making is that he claims to be a man of God. If the Holy Spirit doesnt line up then its not the Holy Spirit. And theres only demons or evil spirits as any other spirit the person might have.
I'd like to answer about interpretation of tongues in a 'real talk' way.

Sometimes we're trying to talk to God. Sometimes we're trying to talk to man. Paul starts by explaining that unknown tongues is for talking to God, not man. And prophesying is talking to man, not God.

The only time tongues conveys a message to anyone other than God, is if God provides the interpretation (which is akin to prophesying).

So basically Paul is telling them "Unless God tells you he's going to provide an interpretation, don't be standing up to share something with us and instead start speaking in tongues BECAUSE NO ONE WILL UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, because, AGAIN, 'unknown' tongues is NOT for conveying messages to man." ...and... " If you feel the need to stand up and do that, then you'd better be praying to be given the interpretation (to share) or your just going to look like a fool."

:)

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

E

eternally-gratefull

The blood cleanses. Not baptism.
Did you look up the word?
ORDINANCE OF WATER BAPTISM[edit] The word "Baptism" is a transliteration of the Greek word BAPTIZO which means to immerse. In Hebrew it is referred to as a MIKVEH - an immersion.
Your baptized in the blood when your baptized into his death and burial and christ himself

Col 2 is quite clear. The spiritual circumcision not done by the hands of men is accomplished through spirit baptism