Westboro

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 21, 2020
Yes, it does, and we should apply it accordingly.

That is why it is worthwhile having clear views on which which issues are really important, and which are secondary. There is going to be difference of opinion on the secondary issues (that is what makes up most of the BDF discussions). Personally, I take the appropach that if a particular organization is wrong on a primary issue, their opinion on other issues is irrelevant. For example, the JW's are wrong about the deity of Jesus and the personhood of the Holy Spirit, so I don't look to them for instruction on anything spiritual.
Yes but how are 'primary issues' and 'secondary issues' defined Biblically?

Unless I've missed something the Bible doesn't say that some principles are more important than others.

Funkus

May 20, 2020
They are only 'against' but what are they 'for'?
something's missing if you only can define what you are by what you are against
a bit like how in Marxism the battle for equality will never be won, its the Christian version of that

Apr 21, 2020
They are only 'against' but what are they 'for'?
something's missing if you only can define what you are by what you are against
a bit like how in Marxism the battle for equality will never be won, its the Christian version of that
That's not difficult to answer at all, having seen hours and hours of documentaries and other content.

I imagine that Westboro would say that they protest all sin and are for keeping God's commandments and believing in God.

bojack

Dec 16, 2019
The Bible repeatedly warns us about false teachers.
And there are plenty of them; from 'preachers' trying to get money out of you to enrich themselves, to people who try to manipulate your thoughts and actions.

As a relatively new Christian, I'd like to ask if Westboro Baptist Church are false teachers?

I've read that they're hyper-calvinist, but is everything they preach wrong?
They have a bizarre way of saying it but they have their points and freedom to say it .. They're no snowflakes for sure

Feb 28, 2016
satan's TRICK' is, to put forth the TRUTH/SCRIPTURE 'first', and then, slowly, cautiously brings forth (lies),
this is how he traps you!!! - he doesn't lay out the great LIE that he is promoting, but he baits you with
the 'truth of the Bible', and then, you become 'HOOKED into BELIEVINING LIES'...
this is ONE reason why it is called 'the tree of good and evil'..,.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Unless I've missed something the Bible doesn't say that some principles are more important than others.
Of course the Bible does very clearly express that love is the highest principle there is, and defines love, also, saying that “love is of God” and “God is love;” that Gods love is extended to the whole world through the sacrifice of His Son on our behalf, and that because of this, we are to love others as an expression of our love for Him. Moreover, we are told that perfect love drives out fear, and that nothing can separate us from the love of God.

Funkus

May 20, 2020
That's not difficult to answer at all, having seen hours and hours of documentaries and other content.

I imagine that Westboro would say that they protest all sin and are for keeping God's commandments and believing in God.
Well fair enough but is Christianity a protest movement? They get a lot of attention but does it help not so sure it's working too well for them lots of problems etc.

Apr 21, 2020
Well fair enough but is Christianity a protest movement? They get a lot of attention but does it help not so sure it's working too well for them lots of problems etc.
I don't think they're protesting because they believe that Christianity is a protest movement.

I believe they're picketing to tell people that their sins are taking them to hell. This is Biblically sound.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

Good question. In some translations, Romans 14.1 mentions "disputable matters" without defining or listing them.

Funkus

May 20, 2020
I don't think they're protesting because they believe that Christianity is a protest movement.

I believe they're picketing to tell people that their sins are taking them to hell. This is Biblically sound.

The Odes of Solomon has a vivid description of the crowds around Jesus. I just think this is more how it was with Jesus and it was really rich and people saw a richness to it beyond what is of this world that spoke to something within that wants to live. I just can't see it all a level field with Westboro church being on this same exalted level as Jesus

"those who had died ran towards me; and they cried out and said, Son of God, have pity on us.
And deal with us according to Your kindness, and bring us out from the bonds of darkness.
And open for us the door by which we may come out to You; for we perceive that our death does not touch You.
May we also be saved with You, because You are our Savior.
Then I heard their voice, and placed their faith in my heart.
And I placed my name upon their head, because they are free and they are mine"

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
But they would argue that they do love people, because they're warning them that their sin is taking them to hell.

They may not express love in the same way we would, but having watched hours and hours of content on them, I truly believe that they believe they're doing the right thing.
Then you may need to read the Bible, if you think what they're is in any way loving.
I Corinthians 13, in particular.

4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
8 Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever!

Hatred in the name of love is still hatred.

Apr 21, 2020
Then you may need to read the Bible, if you think what they're is in any way loving.

4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
8 Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever!

Isaiah 58:1
Christians have a duty to tell their neighbor of their sins.

The fact that your neighbor might not like to be told of their sins does not make it unloving.

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
The Bible repeatedly warns us about false teachers.
And there are plenty of them; from 'preachers' trying to get money out of you to enrich themselves, to people who try to manipulate your thoughts and actions.

As a relatively new Christian, I'd like to ask if Westboro Baptist Church are false teachers?

I've read that they're hyper-calvinist, but is everything they preach wrong?
Can you share their website link or home page?

Apr 21, 2020
Can you share their website link or home page?
Their website isn't worth looking at.

Firstly, it looks as though it was made in 1999 and, secondly, it isn't very well organised.

Feel free to search on Google though :)

D

DWR

Westboro is not Baptist nor a church. They do not even resemble a church.
just a bunch of really mixed up people.
We all need to realize that just because a group calls themselves a church does not make it so.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

First off, it’s charity not love. Charity is found between the brethren. I’m certainly not agreeing with what they do, but the majority of churches are silent.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Their website isn't worth looking at.

Firstly, it looks as though it was made in 1999 and, secondly, it isn't very well organised.

Feel free to search on Google though :)
Not many churches today have public ministries, either of being ashamed or scared to hurt someone’s feelings.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
satan's TRICK' is, to put forth the TRUTH/SCRIPTURE 'first', and then, slowly, cautiously brings forth (lies),
this is how he traps you!!! - he doesn't lay out the great LIE that he is promoting, but he baits you with
the 'truth of the Bible', and then, you become 'HOOKED into BELIEVINING LIES'...
this is ONE reason why it is called 'the tree of good and evil'..,.
I read about the tree of good and evil in Genesis 3 tonight during our evening devotions. Satan is a liar but it appears that he lures you by being subtle, mixes a little truth to hook you and then wrests, twists or misquotes scripture to finish the job. Satan is an absolute expert on scripture and misuses and abuses it to get the upper hand. I fully agree with your estimation on this most important spiritual point.